Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 12:35:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227926 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 273450 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1300 on: December 08, 2009, 01:51:17 PM »

I think Bay will eventually wind up back in Boston, it just makes sense - a good fit for both sides.

As for Penny, he finished strong with SF Penny going 4-1 with a 2.59 ERA in six starts.  We'll see if that carries over this spring with Cards...

Any word on potential Yank moves pilf???

Love the Phils signing of Polanco, best move so far this off season IMO...

Not much  on the Yanks front.  With Pettite announcing he's coming back for 2010, I expect that means it's likely a deal is imminent on that front.

Some rumors around trading for Granderson (supposedly there was a big 3 way deal in the works between Detroit, Arizona, and the Yanks) that's stalled.  Rumbings about possibly trading for Halliday (I'm not holding my breath on that one...they want a LOT).  But other than that..not much.  I think most of the Hot Stove discussion is around our own FA (Damon, Matsui, and Andy) right now...and nothing really concrete about that.

Edit: Heyman is reporting the Granderson deal is done, actually.  Via twitter:

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman

yanks to get granderson, e. jackson, i. kennedy to dbacks, scherzer, schlereth, a. jax, coke to tigers.

If true...the A-jax loss is HUGE out of our farm system.  He's a blue chipper.  Nothing else we're giving up is all that impressive.  Coke was OK, but not great.  Kennedy is OK, but not great.  Neither are, IMHO, going to be huge impact players.  But they're solid potential starters.

It also pretty much puts the writing on the wall for Damon and Matsui.  ONE might come back as the DH, but DEFINITELY not both. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 01:55:41 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1301 on: December 08, 2009, 02:13:38 PM »

Great move for the Yanks getting Granderson, he's a helluva player.

I like the way the Yanks are moving this off season, very calculated.  If I'm them, I keep Matsui and let Damon walk, just an opinion of course.

Nice to hear Andy will probably be back as well.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1302 on: December 08, 2009, 03:48:38 PM »

Joel > Brad

Enjoy watching fatso ruin your team.

Not familiar with Penny being any sort of malcontent, what's the (LA) story?

Clubhouse cancer, and since his ASG start, his stuff has been off.
Yeah Penny was decent for the Red Sox to start last year then he just did a complete 180 and was downright awful before they released him.  I think he started off well with the Giants and fell flat as well.  He still has plenty of velocity but he must throw the straightest fastball in the majors because he can't put hitters away, despite pitching in the mid 90's.

But you must give him credit for being hung like a racehorse. 
He must be, to score a girl like Eliza Dushku.  Didn't he date Alyssa Milano too, although what baseball player hasn't?

It's one of those things you don't want to see, but can't help but notice...

Falcon, Penny had an easy couple of months in San Francisco, don't let the 4-1 record fool you.  He is poorly conditioned, his mechanics are off, and he's done.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1303 on: December 08, 2009, 05:26:52 PM »

Falcon, Penny had an easy couple of months in San Francisco, don't let the 4-1 record fool you.  He is poorly conditioned, his mechanics are off, and he's done.

So you're saying you'd rather go 3yrs/30+ million for Pineiro than take a flyer on 1 year incentive laden contract on Penny?

Do you actually think guys like LaRussa and Duncan would roll the dice if they thought there wasn't upside?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 05:40:31 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1304 on: December 08, 2009, 05:39:04 PM »

Great move for the Yanks getting Granderson, he's a helluva player.

I like the way the Yanks are moving this off season, very calculated.  If I'm them, I keep Matsui and let Damon walk, just an opinion of course.

Nice to hear Andy will probably be back as well.

I agree. I'd like to see Matsui stay. He's proven he can still hit very well. His downside is he can't play the filed but with Granderson we can shift Cabrera to left. I'll be a little sad to see Damon go though. He was a great guy in the clubhouse and he can still do a lot hitting, stealing bases his defense is a liability though. I'm also ecstatic that Pettitte wants to pitch next year. He was HUGE for us in the playoffs. Its just a matter of working out a contract which will happen no doubt about that. He wants to be a yankee period. If for some huge reason they can't agree he'll retire.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1305 on: December 08, 2009, 06:48:06 PM »

I actually think it might be Damon that sticks around.  Here's my logic:

Matsui can ONLY hit.  The Yanks vision for the DH spot is to make it rotational.  Arod some days, Damon (if he were there) some days, Posada some time, etc.

Damon fits more in that mold.  Granderson doesn't (so far) hit lefties all that well.  If you had another guy who could play the outfield....you could vastly minimize that impact by almost platooning him, to some extent.  Damon allows you the flexibility to do that. 

The thing is...Damon would need to accept a "mostly DH, sometimes left fielder (with Melky shifting back to center when Granderson sits)" role...and with that a commesurate salary.   He might not (yet) be willing to do that.  But, honestly...I don't see a huge market for him out there in another role.  I don't see him as a $18 million per year type of player.  And the Yanks would probably pay him 10 to 12 million....maybe...to play the role I outlined for him.

Matsui, on the other hand, is a 5 to 8 million player...ie: much cheaper.  He's also probably willing to accept a shorter term deal because, lets face it, there's a glut of Dh type guys on the market.  And no matter what you hear (and I think matsui might even believe it, himself), Hideki is not playing 80+ games in the field any more.  His body can't hack it.  Heck, he had to have knee surgery AGAIN at the end of this past season, and he spent the whole year DH'ing!

It'll be interesting.  I'm pretty sure Granderson means that one of the two is gone.  I'm leaning more toward Damon returning, though, given the scuttle butt.  We'll see!

Another note: Peter Gammons is leaving ESPN.   Interesting, no?

Together again,
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #1306 on: December 08, 2009, 06:55:10 PM »

Gammons is leaving for NESN, his real home! Tongue
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1307 on: December 08, 2009, 06:58:30 PM »

I actually think it might be Damon that sticks around.  Here's my logic:

Matsui can ONLY hit.  The Yanks vision for the DH spot is to make it rotational.  Arod some days, Damon (if he were there) some days, Posada some time, etc.

Damon fits more in that mold.  Granderson doesn't (so far) hit lefties all that well.  If you had another guy who could play the outfield....you could vastly minimize that impact by almost platooning him, to some extent.  Damon allows you the flexibility to do that. 

The thing is...Damon would need to accept a "mostly DH, sometimes left fielder (with Melky shifting back to center when Granderson sits)" role...and with that a commesurate salary.   He might not (yet) be willing to do that.  But, honestly...I don't see a huge market for him out there in another role.  I don't see him as a $18 million per year type of player.  And the Yanks would probably pay him 10 to 12 million....maybe...to play the role I outlined for him.

Matsui, on the other hand, is a 5 to 8 million player...ie: much cheaper.  He's also probably willing to accept a shorter term deal because, lets face it, there's a glut of Dh type guys on the market.  And no matter what you hear (and I think matsui might even believe it, himself), Hideki is not playing 80+ games in the field any more.  His body can't hack it.  Heck, he had to have knee surgery AGAIN at the end of this past season, and he spent the whole year DH'ing!

It'll be interesting.  I'm pretty sure Granderson means that one of the two is gone.  I'm leaning more toward Damon returning, though, given the scuttle butt.  We'll see!

Another note: Peter Gammons is leaving ESPN.   Interesting, no?

Espn is reporting Matsui could end up in LA. So your scenario could be correct Pilf. Is he really? Interesting.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1308 on: December 08, 2009, 07:01:01 PM »

I think far more likely he's going to the MLB network.....

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1309 on: December 08, 2009, 07:09:53 PM »

Hadn't heard about Gammons leaving, details?Huh

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1310 on: December 08, 2009, 09:18:53 PM »

Actually you're both right.  He's going to work for NESN, NESN.com, MLB network, and MLB.com.

Probably just a move for Peter so he can be closer to home while he winds his career down.  Not that he moved around a whole lot for ESPN, but I would suspect travel would be a lot less this way.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/12/gammons_to_leav.html

Gammons to leave ESPN, join MLB Network and NESN
E-mail|Link|Comments (41) Posted by Matt Pepin, Boston.com Staff December 8, 2009 03:29 PM
Peter Gammons, one of ESPN's major league baseball reporters, will leave the network after this week's winter meetings, the network said in a statement released today.

Gammons on Tuesday confirmed to the Globe's Chad Finn that he will begin working for MLB.com, MLB Network and NESN following the winter meetings. He said his positions include a significant amount of writing.

"A big part of it is that I just want to be home more," said Gammons, who has residences in Boston and Cape Cod. "And it?s a slight change of pace. A lot of opportunities came up at the same time and I put them all together and it looked very appealing. But it?s very much a lifestyle thing."

Before working for ESPN, Gammons pioneered baseball coverage for the Globe and popularized the Sunday baseball notes column. Gammons, 64, began his career at the Globe in 1969 and joined ESPN in 1989. He also worked at Sports Illustrated from 1976-78 and 1986-90.

Gammons, a native of Groton, Mass., is a member of the Baseball Hall of Fame. He is the host of the annual Hot Stove Cool Music concert each year that benefits Theo and Paul Epstein's The Foundation to be Named Later.

"A lot of people said to me today, ?You know, you must have negative feelings about ESPN.? That?s so far from the reality. Some of the best friends I have ever had are there. [Baseball writers] Buster [Olney], Jayson [Stark], Tim [Kurkjian], those are my friends. The people from ESPN were tremendous, and I truly loved working with them," Gammons said.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:21:04 PM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1311 on: December 09, 2009, 01:08:06 AM »

Actually you're both right.  He's going to work for NESN, NESN.com, MLB network, and MLB.com.

Probably just a move for Peter so he can be closer to home while he winds his career down.  Not that he moved around a whole lot for ESPN, but I would suspect travel would be a lot less this way.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/12/gammons_to_leav.html

Gammons to leave ESPN, join MLB Network and NESN
E-mail|Link|Comments (41) Posted by Matt Pepin, Boston.com Staff December 8, 2009 03:29 PM
Peter Gammons, one of ESPN's major league baseball reporters, will leave the network after this week's winter meetings, the network said in a statement released today.

Gammons on Tuesday confirmed to the Globe's Chad Finn that he will begin working for MLB.com, MLB Network and NESN following the winter meetings. He said his positions include a significant amount of writing.

"A big part of it is that I just want to be home more," said Gammons, who has residences in Boston and Cape Cod. "And it?s a slight change of pace. A lot of opportunities came up at the same time and I put them all together and it looked very appealing. But it?s very much a lifestyle thing."

Before working for ESPN, Gammons pioneered baseball coverage for the Globe and popularized the Sunday baseball notes column. Gammons, 64, began his career at the Globe in 1969 and joined ESPN in 1989. He also worked at Sports Illustrated from 1976-78 and 1986-90.

Gammons, a native of Groton, Mass., is a member of the Baseball Hall of Fame. He is the host of the annual Hot Stove Cool Music concert each year that benefits Theo and Paul Epstein's The Foundation to be Named Later.

"A lot of people said to me today, ?You know, you must have negative feelings about ESPN.? That?s so far from the reality. Some of the best friends I have ever had are there. [Baseball writers] Buster [Olney], Jayson [Stark], Tim [Kurkjian], those are my friends. The people from ESPN were tremendous, and I truly loved working with them," Gammons said.

Completely understandable why he's leaving. You can't fault the guy for wanting to be home more with his family. Always liked and respected Peter Gammons and wish him the best of luck at the new job.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1312 on: December 09, 2009, 09:27:05 AM »

Make sense.  I knew Gammons wouldn't just go to NESN...he's pretty highly paid and I can't see him leaving and taking a significant pay cut.  I thought MLB network would be the only one with pockets deep enough to come close to his ESPN deal.

But this makes MORE sense.  Take 3/4 from MLB, 1/4 from NESN (or something to that effect) and you get a comfortable number for both entities.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1313 on: December 09, 2009, 10:47:32 AM »

Reports are creeping in that the Yanks have almost finalized a deal with Pettite...should be final today, some time.  $12 million, one year.

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1314 on: December 09, 2009, 02:45:27 PM »

Good for Gammons, always liked that cat.

Let's hope he takes some face time away from John (Johnny Damon should be a Hall Of Famer) Heyman at MLB Network...

Great news on Pettite, sounds like a win/win for both sides.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1315 on: December 09, 2009, 04:27:52 PM »

Pettite deal is now official one year, 11.75 million. Great to have him back.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1316 on: December 09, 2009, 05:16:58 PM »

Some Matt Holliday/Cardinal banter from Scott Boras..

INDIANAPOLIS ? Describing his client, free-agent outfielder Matt Holliday, as both an athletically gifted outfielder and ?a complete player?, agent Scott Boras said the St. Louis Cardinals would, in effect, be keeping two players if they meet the market and re-sign the All-Star and former batting champ.

His inference was clear: Keeping Holliday, in his opinions, gives Albert Pujols a reason to stay.

?When you talk about what that means to that franchise and where they are in the development process without Matt, you kind of have to look at the components and say, You may not be signing one player, you may be making a decision on whether you?re going to retain two players,? Boras said this afternoon at the Winter Meetings, emphasizing Holliday?s value as a consistent No. 4 hitter behind Pujols.

?Priot to Matt ? he?s getting walked a lot ? It?s just tough to find players who can take on hitting behind Albert Pujols. That?s value.

?Matt?s numbers are his numbers and who he is. But remember he stepped into a situation and did something that few major leaguers can do, and that is hit behind the game?s greatest player. If you can do that and force a team to pitch to that player, pitch to Albert Pujols, you have to be a phenomenal talent.?

Boras spoke to the media for about 35 minutes this afternoon here. More from him shortly on Holliday?s market, how much he believes the Cardinals can afford and whether or not the Cardinals were right to gamble on their in-season sales pitch. Check back here in a few minutes."

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1317 on: December 10, 2009, 12:20:59 AM »

So you're saying you'd rather go 3yrs/30+ million for Pineiro than take a flyer on 1 year incentive laden contract on Penny?

Do you actually think guys like LaRussa and Duncan would roll the dice if they thought there wasn't upside?

TLR and Dunk have a lot of experience and a collective baseball IQ through the roof, but I am going to stick with my gut and say that this experiment will backfire like a Ford LTD.

Haha, might as well.  It's OK, ESPN will find another Sux luvr to fill his spot. 

Andy Pennant making a nice chunk of change.

Oh...and the Dodgers are going to be making some big moves.

For the 2015 season.  drool
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1318 on: December 10, 2009, 06:50:12 AM »

Reports are coming in that the Angels are making a big push for Halliday, offering Erick Aybar, Joe Saunders and Peter Bourjos to the Jays.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1319 on: December 10, 2009, 06:53:04 AM »

Lowell traded from Sox to Rangers.  Yikes.....

http://bases.nbcsports.com/2009/12/report-rangers-red-sox-agree-to-lowell-deal.html.php

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 70 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: