Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:56:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227915 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want  (Read 190382 times)
sandman
Legend

« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2007, 03:58:17 PM »

Clemens does? it because? he can. If he tanks, then he can't, and no one will pay. But he can still bring it. I hate the Yanks, but? I say, more power to Clemens. Probably the best? pitcher in the contemporary period, hands down. In any event, baseball salaries? are out of control. They need a salary cap like in the other main sports (football, basketball, hockey).
Basketball doesnt have a salary cap, they have a more refined version of baseball's luxury tax.

It's not the Yankees, Red Sox, and Mets fault that Kansas City's owner (for Example) pockets his teams portion of the revenue sharing. A good percentage of that revenue sharing includes the luxury tax that Boston and the two NY teams payout each year.

in the U.S., the NBA has a salary cap.

that may be partly true about smaller market team's owners being cheap, but you cannot deny teams in big cities have a HUGE advantage.

it's the old "the rich get richer". there's little or no risk when you have a vast number of profit streams.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2007, 04:26:12 PM »

NBA doesn't have a true salary cap... a team can go over the cap and then has to pay luxury tax on each dollar over they go. Same with MLB....
sandman
Legend

« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2007, 05:13:14 PM »

NBA doesn't have a true salary cap... a team can go over the cap and then has to pay luxury tax on each dollar over they go. Same with MLB....

the NBA salary cap (it is a salary cap) has exceptions, but it is much stricter than MLB. the luxury tax in baseball is a much smaller percentage (usually less than 20%). NBA luxury tax is 100% dollar for dollar.

nba teams are willing to pay the luxury (like NY of course), but it limits spending significantly more than the BS luxury tax in baseball.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2007, 06:53:03 PM »

the NBA salary cap (it is a salary cap) has exceptions, but it is much stricter than MLB. the luxury tax in baseball is a much smaller percentage (usually less than 20%). NBA luxury tax is 100% dollar for dollar.

It's not a "cap" if you can exceed it. Like I said they have a more refined version of MLB's luxury tax.
They also have several expemptions:
Mid Level Cap Exemption
The Larry Bird Exemption
The Early Bird Exemption
Rookie Exemption
Traded Player Exception
Disabled Player Exception...

Not a very hard cap.

NFL is the only true model for a salary cap.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2007, 06:56:51 PM »

It's not a "cap" if you can exceed it. Like I said they have a more refined version of MLB's luxury tax.
They also have several expemptions:
Mid Level Cap Exemption
The Larry Bird Exemption
The Early Bird Exemption
Rookie Exemption
Traded Player Exception
Disabled Player Exception...

Not a very hard cap.

NFL is the only true model for a salary cap.

Don't forget the NHL they now have a very hard cap.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2007, 07:04:06 PM »

NHL?
They still play hockey? Is it on TV?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2007, 07:41:14 PM »

NHL?
They still play hockey? Is it on TV?
yes  rofl
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2007, 09:19:21 PM »

Back on topic:

Sosa is closing in on 600 homers.Too bad no one  else  on the Ranger is hitting.
The Yanks are almost done, but will Clemens save  them?
Should Selig  and Aaron be there when Bonds hits number 756? Yes, I think so.
What  happened to the Cards?
Is Milwaukee  for real?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #108 on: May 23, 2007, 10:17:08 PM »

Back on topic:

Sosa is closing in on 600 homers.Too bad no one? else? on the Ranger is hitting.
The Yanks are almost done, but will Clemens save? them?
Should Selig? and Aaron be there when Bonds hits number 756? Yes, I think so.
What? happened to the Cards?
Is Milwaukee? for real?

The Rangers have started hitting recently, but it doesn't matter.  Per usual, they have NO pitching.
As a Red Sox fan, I'd love to declare the Yanks finished, but I'm not ready to do that just yet.  Clemens will help them but I just don't see how they could possibly climb back into the race.  I know it's a long season, but I just don't think they're that good.  Their bullpen is garbage and with only 2/5 of their rotation able to log innings they're just gonna get even more worn down.
I don't think either Aaron or Selig will support Bonds.
Milwaukee's for real, but they've come back to life recently.  But they'll be in the thick of things in the NL Central.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2007, 11:55:32 AM »

As a Red Sox fan, I'd love to declare the Yanks finished, but I'm not ready to do that just yet.  Clemens will help them but I just don't see how they could possibly climb back into the race.  I know it's a long season, but I just don't think they're that good.  Their bullpen is garbage and with only 2/5 of their rotation able to log innings they're just gonna get even more worn down.

They (the Yanks) have done it before.  There's about 120 games left to play....Yes, 9 1/2 (well, 7 1/2 to the wildcard spot) is a big hole to dig themselves out of.  But anyone who counts the Yanks out until it's mathematically impossible for them hasn't been paying attention to what's gone on since the late 70's.  The Yanks organization seems to be gifted with a flair for the dramatic.  We'll see how they're doing come mid-July in the standings.  It'll be a much clearer picture in 6 - 8 weeks than it is now.  The pitching seems to have come back now that all the "main" starters are healthy (that #6 spot is gonna be "interesting", even after Clemens comes back), the offense seems to be waking back up the last few days.....2 outta 3 from the Sox is always a good sign.  Even Mariano looked better last night......

Remember, this is MLB, not the NFL.  It's a very LONG season, with LOTS of games to play. Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2007, 02:20:07 PM »

As a Red Sox fan, I'd love to declare the Yanks finished, but I'm not ready to do that just yet.? Clemens will help them but I just don't see how they could possibly climb back into the race.? I know it's a long season, but I just don't think they're that good.? Their bullpen is garbage and with only 2/5 of their rotation able to log innings they're just gonna get even more worn down.

They (the Yanks) have done it before.? There's about 120 games left to play....Yes, 9 1/2 (well, 7 1/2 to the wildcard spot) is a big hole to dig themselves out of.? But anyone who counts the Yanks out until it's mathematically impossible for them hasn't been paying attention to what's gone on since the late 70's.? The Yanks organization seems to be gifted with a flair for the dramatic.? We'll see how they're doing come mid-July in the standings.? It'll be a much clearer picture in 6 - 8 weeks than it is now.? The pitching seems to have come back now that all the "main" starters are healthy (that #6 spot is gonna be "interesting", even after Clemens comes back), the offense seems to be waking back up the last few days.....2 outta 3 from the Sox is always a good sign.? Even Mariano looked better last night......

Remember, this is MLB, not the NFL.? It's a very LONG season, with LOTS of games to play. Smiley
I wouldn't say since the late 70's... they didn't win an AL pennant (or the East) from 81'-96'

But I do agree... counting them (or any mid to large market team) out at this point in the season is foolish. 1 injury to the Sox and they are making those 9.5 games up and probably opening just as large a whole for the Sox by the time the season ends. Look at the Sox season last year after they hit that 3 series slide. they lost  10 of 11 and 8 straight to the Royals and Yankees.

Anything can happen.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2007, 07:04:22 PM »

As a Red Sox fan, I'd love to declare the Yanks finished, but I'm not ready to do that just yet.? Clemens will help them but I just don't see how they could possibly climb back into the race.? I know it's a long season, but I just don't think they're that good.? Their bullpen is garbage and with only 2/5 of their rotation able to log innings they're just gonna get even more worn down.

They (the Yanks) have done it before.? There's about 120 games left to play....Yes, 9 1/2 (well, 7 1/2 to the wildcard spot) is a big hole to dig themselves out of.? But anyone who counts the Yanks out until it's mathematically impossible for them hasn't been paying attention to what's gone on since the late 70's.? The Yanks organization seems to be gifted with a flair for the dramatic.? We'll see how they're doing come mid-July in the standings.? It'll be a much clearer picture in 6 - 8 weeks than it is now.? The pitching seems to have come back now that all the "main" starters are healthy (that #6 spot is gonna be "interesting", even after Clemens comes back), the offense seems to be waking back up the last few days.....2 outta 3 from the Sox is always a good sign.? Even Mariano looked better last night......

Remember, this is MLB, not the NFL.? It's a very LONG season, with LOTS of games to play. Smiley
I wouldn't say since the late 70's... they didn't win an AL pennant (or the East) from 81'-96'

But I do agree... counting them (or any mid to large market team) out at this point in the season is foolish. 1 injury to the Sox and they are making those 9.5 games up and probably opening just as large a whole for the Sox by the time the season ends. Look at the Sox season last year after they hit that 3 series slide. they lost? 10 of 11 and 8 straight to the Royals and Yankees.

Anything can happen.
Very true.  The Yankees have had MAJOR injury problems to say the least and the Sox have had only 2 guys go on the DL all season I believe (Timlin and recently Beckett).  IF the Sox can stay healthy they should be able to hold off the Yanks.  Their pitching is just too solid for them to go into any sustained funk.  But injuries do occur, and if Beckett's finger problem becomes a recurring issue, or Papelbon, Schilling go down for any amount of time the tide could quickly change.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2007, 09:30:03 PM »

I'm not strictly talking about winning pennants (though '78 is a good example).  I'm talking about them, as a team, in general.  Everything seems to involve high drama, and they seem to come out on top in those situations more often than not....

That's my point. 

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2007, 09:32:03 PM »

Very true.? The Yankees have had MAJOR injury problems to say the least and the Sox have had only 2 guys go on the DL all season I believe (Timlin and recently Beckett).? IF the Sox can stay healthy they should be able to hold off the Yanks.? Their pitching is just too solid for them to go into any sustained funk.? But injuries do occur, and if Beckett's finger problem becomes a recurring issue, or Papelbon, Schilling go down for any amount of time the tide could quickly change.

Looking at Schills latest outings, and with Beckett on the DL....I wouldn't be too confident in that rotation right now.  And Papelbon hasn't exactly proven he can go the distance....remember he threw his arm practically off last season.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2007, 10:13:04 PM »

Very true.  The Yankees have had MAJOR injury problems to say the least and the Sox have had only 2 guys go on the DL all season I believe (Timlin and recently Beckett).  IF the Sox can stay healthy they should be able to hold off the Yanks.  Their pitching is just too solid for them to go into any sustained funk.  But injuries do occur, and if Beckett's finger problem becomes a recurring issue, or Papelbon, Schilling go down for any amount of time the tide could quickly change.

Looking at Schills latest outings, and with Beckett on the DL....I wouldn't be too confident in that rotation right now.  And Papelbon hasn't exactly proven he can go the distance....remember he threw his arm practically off last season.

Yeah Schilling has been Shelling lately. Two of hs last three starts were BAD. I heard during the game yesterday Beckett's finger is healed but who knows how he'll do in his next start.
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2007, 11:17:41 PM »

Jeter passed Dimaggio in hits this week, is Jeter  Hall of Fame worthy? I say yes. His  offensive  numbers  are good, a .318 batting average, 2218 hits, 4 championships, and team leadership.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #116 on: May 24, 2007, 11:29:52 PM »

Absolutely hall worthy and a shoe in if he gets to 3000 which i don't see why he won't. Very good offensive numbers the 4 titles and he's a leader in every sense of the word. He is everything that is good about baseball
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #117 on: May 24, 2007, 11:31:15 PM »

Very true.? The Yankees have had MAJOR injury problems to say the least and the Sox have had only 2 guys go on the DL all season I believe (Timlin and recently Beckett).? IF the Sox can stay healthy they should be able to hold off the Yanks.? Their pitching is just too solid for them to go into any sustained funk.? But injuries do occur, and if Beckett's finger problem becomes a recurring issue, or Papelbon, Schilling go down for any amount of time the tide could quickly change.

Looking at Schills latest outings, and with Beckett on the DL....I wouldn't be too confident in that rotation right now.? And Papelbon hasn't exactly proven he can go the distance....remember he threw his arm practically off last season.
Schilling will be fine. ?He's no longer an ace. ?He's #3 on the staff, and that ain't too bad. ?He's gonna have some spectacular starts and some bad stretches. ?He's in a bad stretch right now. ?Expect much the same when Clemens gets called up. ?Both in their 40's, both aren't quite what they used to be. ?But both are still fine pitchers. ?Beckett's finger kind of bothers me just because of the fact that he had those blister problems with the Marlins, though they're being quite clear that this is NOT a blister. ?But still. ?Dice K is the real deal. ?They're being REAL careful with Papelbon, unlike Torre with his useage of the bullpen.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2007, 11:35:57 PM »

Jeter passed Dimaggio in hits this week, is Jeter? Hall of Fame worthy? I say yes. His? offensive? numbers? are good, a .318 batting average, 2218 hits, 4 championships, and team leadership.
I'd say he's probably already hall of fame bound, but a few more good years certainly wouldn't hurt his cause.  He's fundamentally sound in every phase of the game.  He's got a few gold gloves as well.  I used to chant, "Nomar's better" when he was with the Sox.  I'm man enough to admit, I was wrong.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2007, 11:38:06 PM »

Schilling will be fine.  He's no longer an ace.  He's #3 on the staff, and that ain't too bad.  He's gonna have some spectacular starts and some bad stretches.  He's in a bad stretch right now.  Expect much the same when Clemens gets called up.  Both in their 40's, both aren't quite what they used to be.  But both are still fine pitchers.  Beckett's finger kind of bothers me just because of the fact that he had those blister problems with the Marlins, though they're being quite clear that this is NOT a blister.  But still.  Dice K is the real deal.  They're being REAL careful with Papelbon, unlike Torre with his useage of the bullpen.

You can't put all the blame on Torre for the bullpen though. The starters were dropping almost every other inning the first month. He didn't have much choice really
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: