Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 01:48:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Study: False statements preceded war
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Study: False statements preceded war  (Read 21879 times)
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2008, 01:00:37 AM »

can someone explain the strawman reference...i have not heard that anywhere but here....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2008, 01:02:46 AM »

I think conservatives feel that way because this country was built on christian ideas and principals.....so they stick to that hardcore...a perfect example is how poorly Mitt Romney did, when he was by FAR the most conservative candidate running....he lined up with most of the conservatives ideas except for one thing....he was a mormon...and that killed him....if he were a christian he would have wiped the floor with Mccain because Huckabee woudlnt have been taking a good chunk of his votes....

I can accept the role of some Christian ideas in creating this country, but it's also got roots in the Enlightenment, which was largely anti-religion.  Thus, we struck a balance.  A country with freedom of religion and freedom from religion.  I have no problem with voters voting for those who they feel reflects their values.  That's fine.  My problem is when they want to impose those values on others.  There are two types of values...personal and societal.  I'll go out of my way to respect anyone's personal values, so long as they respect mine.  But I see in a lot of social conservatives a desire to elevate their personal values to the level of societal values.  In some areas, I can understand this (abortion, for example), while in others I think it makes no sense whatsoever (gay marriage/civil unions).  It also concerns me that some so clearly want to mix religion and education, as if they're totally ignorant of the fact that others might have different religious beliefs, and might not appreciate having those of others forced onto them.

If the GOP think that taxes hinder freedom, why can't they see that having someone's religious beliefs forced upon you is a far injustice done unto liberty than taxes could ever be?   

you have to look at the relgion...a true christian is supposed to force their beliefs onto others...thats what the bible tells them to do...to spread the word of god....they don't feel like they are hurting people they feel like they are helping people....when Bush referred to Islam as a good religion a few years ago...the christians were up in arms about it...because to them every other religion is false....thats where it gets a tricky....as a christian you have to force it onto others...otherwise you are not doing Gods work....I know some pretty hardcore christians and that is what the hardcore ones believe....how can you aruge with someone if they dont think what they are doing is hurting anyone?

You can't argue with that, I suppose, though anyone who really believes that is walking a tightrope, as others can claim to do the same to them.  Imagine if the views of other religions were forced on them.  Of course, they'd absolutely shit, and rightfully so.  It's a shame that some can't or won't see or don't care about the hypocrisy of defying the Constitution while simultaneously demanding its protections.

their bible IS their constitution...the constitution is meanlingless to them compared to the bible...thats why they dont care
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2008, 01:03:14 AM »

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2008, 01:05:01 AM »

can someone explain the strawman reference...i have not heard that anywhere but here....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

ahhh I see....so pretty much the strawman technique describes everything that Booker Floyd has ever posted on this site.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 01:19:38 AM by Shadows7X » Logged
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2008, 01:06:58 AM »

their bible IS their constitution...the constitution is meanlingless to them compared to the bible...thats why they dont care

So what you're saying is it's more important to them to apply their own morality to others, rather than living under a legal system that tries to guarantee fairness and protection to all, regardless of religion?

This position is completely foreign to me, as all the religious people I know (including family) are not at all like that.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 01:11:13 AM by Mild Mannered freedom78 » Logged

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2008, 01:11:18 AM »

So what you're saying is it's more important to them to apply their own morality to others, rather than living under a legal system that tries to guarantee fairness and protection to all, regardless of religion?

I'm not saying all christians...but some of them find this WHOLE WORLD meaningless...nevermind the legal system....as long as the legal system follows what the bible says they are cool with it..im telling you...i have talked with alot of born again christians...it is their religion or NOTHING....
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2008, 01:12:09 AM »

This position is completely foreign to me, as all the religious people I know (including family) are not at all like that.

are they catholic or born again christians...because i never used to know this but there is a HUGE difference....
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2008, 01:14:41 AM »

I'm not saying all christians...but some of them find this WHOLE WORLD meaningless...nevermind the legal system....as long as the legal system follows what the bible says they are cool with it..im telling you...i have talked with alot of born again christians...it is their religion or NOTHING....

Call me crazy, but that sounds an awful lot like something this guy would believe:

Seriously.  I'm not even slightly kidding.  The idea that someone's religion trumps everyone else's rights...that's truly frightening.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2008, 01:16:24 AM »

are they catholic or born again christians...because i never used to know this but there is a HUGE difference....

Most of my family is Protestant, and not really evangelical at all.  A couple of Catholics have married in.  One who briefly went off the religious deep end after "seeing the light" during surgery.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2008, 01:16:56 AM »

Call me crazy, but that sounds an awful lot like something this guy would believe:

Seriously.  I'm not even slightly kidding.  The idea that someone's religion trumps everyone else's rights...that's truly frightening.

i agree with you...but christians arent flying planes into buildings to get their point across....not yet anyway hihi
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #130 on: February 08, 2008, 01:17:54 AM »

Most of my family is Protestant, and not really evangelical at all.  A couple of Catholics have married in.  One who briefly went off the religious deep end after "seeing the light" during surgery.

oh ok...im judging my experience off of alot of born again christians...who would fall under the evangelical category I guess....they are a trip.....the catholics I know could care less about the bible...they do what they want all week and then go to church on sundays Smiley
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #131 on: February 08, 2008, 01:19:16 AM »

i agree with you...but christians arent flying planes into buildings to get their point across....not yet anyway hihi

Well, shit, they've (I suppose "we've" if I count myself) already got a couple of crusades under our belts.  Anyway, when it comes to forcing others into a religion, I'm not sure the methods are really that important.  Seriously, this reminds me of the Inquisition or something. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #132 on: February 08, 2008, 01:21:44 AM »

Christians are lying about reasons to go to war and killing hundreds of thousands in the process though.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #133 on: February 08, 2008, 01:22:12 AM »

oh ok...im judging my experience off of alot of born again christians...who would fall under the evangelical category I guess....they are a trip.....the catholics I know could care less about the bible...they do what they want all week and then go to church on sundays Smiley

So, based on this, are you then a secular conservative?  Or just a non-evangelical religious conservative? 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #134 on: February 08, 2008, 01:37:18 AM »

So, based on this, are you then a secular conservative?  Or just a non-evangelical religious conservative? 

I'm an evangelical liberal. His holiness, "The Flying Spaghetti Monster", will smite those fake gods with loads of marinara.

RAmen my brother.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2008, 01:39:14 AM »

I'm an evangelical liberal. His holiness "The Flying Spaghetti Monster" will smite those fake gods with loads of marinara.

RAmen my brother.

Marinara is sooo Old Testament, with all the smiting.  The New Testament is more live and let live.  Very pesto, if you ask me.

OK...stop.  This is making me hungry. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Perfect Criminal
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2008, 03:46:23 PM »

of course not...but are you telling me that abortion being used as a form of birth control not what it should be used for is a GOOD thing...is that HELPING america in anyway?? how can people who are so concerned with the innocent lives in iraq have no regard whatsoever for the children being innocently slaughtered by parents who couldnt keep it in their pants or were too lazy to buy condoms or birth control pills...I am saying that it is bringing this country further into degeneracy...there are alot of problems in this country and alot of you just overlook them...

Here is a fallacy for you:

How can people so concerned life be pro-capital punishment(you can figure out which one).

I'm pro choice.  Just look at the link between Roe vs. Wade in the 70's and the 15% decline in crime in the mid 90's.  Making abortion legal had a positive affect on th crime rate in this country.  It just took 15-20 years for it to yield results.  However, I'm also 100% for capital punishment.  One has nothing to do with the other.  One group being killed deserves it and the other doesn't.  How can you even compare the two things.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 03:56:27 PM by Perfect Criminal » Logged
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2008, 05:46:13 PM »

Here is a fallacy for you:

How can people so concerned life be pro-capital punishment(you can figure out which one).

How can you even compare the two things.

I was using a fallacious argument; as I clearly noted.

TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2008, 09:45:39 PM »

I think conservatives feel that way because this country was built on christian ideas and principals.....so they stick to that hardcore...a perfect example is how poorly Mitt Romney did, when he was by FAR the most conservative candidate running....he lined up with most of the conservatives ideas except for one thing....he was a mormon...and that killed him....if he were a christian he would have wiped the floor with Mccain because Huckabee woudlnt have been taking a good chunk of his votes....

I can accept the role of some Christian ideas in creating this country, but it's also got roots in the Enlightenment, which was largely anti-religion. 

http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/treaty_tripoli.html

Authored by American diplomat Joel Barlow in 1796, the following treaty was sent to the floor of the Senate, June 7, 1797, where it was read aloud in its entirety and unanimously approved. John Adams, having seen the treaty, signed it and proudly proclaimed it to the Nation.

Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2008, 09:49:54 PM »

Our open borders, .....factors that will cause our demise.....

I am a fourth generation American

This thread rules  ok

BUT my family came here legally... ok

so TAP answer this for me....you have no problem with our open borders? you think its perfectly fine and SAFE for people to be sneaking into this country when we have no idea what their background is...or if they have a criminal past?  you're all good with that?

You asked what strawman meant. That's a pretty excellent example.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: