Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 11:24:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Thank god for Velvet Revolver !
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thank god for Velvet Revolver !  (Read 28577 times)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2004, 08:49:53 PM »

Well I am done with this thread until it gets back to topic.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
darkmonth
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2004, 08:50:10 PM »

AAAAHAHAHAH!!  Bloody hell... Dave didn't even take time to draw breath let alone read what Jarmo said and TAKE IT IN!!!

Jarmo never said VR would sell MORE than GnR ... he said they would sell MORE records... because of the fact that they released before GnR....

jeez... calm down!  It kinda proves your obsession with GnR to get that stressed about something so insignificant (and something you got wrong!)

You must be confused, how is selling more and selling more albums different?

No, YOU are confused... MORE albums than if they released after Gnr... not MORE than GnR.

How do you figure? You really think less people would buy contraband if it came out after CD? I doubt it.

I don't figure anything here... I was pointing out that you jumped to GnR's rescue when it seemed obvious that jarmo hadn't said what you ended up arhuing against.

Wether they will or not sell more albums, that's not the issue.

On that note tho, VR's album is everywhere... even in Tesco!  I bought my copy there.  I was stunned.  And happy that it's getting shelf space next to the latest sellers.  It is all over the place.  RCA was a fucking great company to sign to.  They know how to market a band well.
Dizzy
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2004, 10:14:10 PM »

Not being sarcastic here... ARe you implying that when Duff said it he was lying?  

Not at all.  I'm sure he wasn't lying.  What I meant was that things changed.  Duff encountered some tumult with Axl after he left Neurotic Outsiders and returned to the fold which made him view Axl and his partnership in GNR differently, so his feelings were reflected in the difference in the quote that Dave posted and the quote that I posted.

And again, I was not insinuating you either you or Dave were taking anything out of context.  You simply posted Duff's quotes.  I felt it was misleading because the quote Dave posted was before Duff had encountered the differences he had with Axl, not because either of you twisted anything out of context.
TyRod Tulip
War-huh What is it good for?
Banned
VIP

Sweetness is a virtue and you lost your virtue long ago

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2004, 10:36:41 PM »

Some people on this BOARD have to resort to bashing when people defend Axl, how infantile is that?  Why is it ok to  bash axl but not defend him?

Because there is nothing to defend.  He killed that which we all loved, the original GNR.  And some of us are not too happy about that.  He has failed to produce a single above average song, let alone an album in 10 years.  And some of us are disappointed in him for that.

Then when someone talks bad about VR, slash or scott it is ok to defend them but not axl.'

It is ok to defend VR because they have actually put out an awesome album in under one year.  And contrary to what you want to believe, if you read reviews of the album from other source than this board, it is getting great reviews almost everywhere.  And it is clear that after a few listen the rockers are far better than anything Axl has shown us.  Hell the ballads are too.  And all that in under 1 year.  Imagine what VR would have put out if they worked on it for 8 years.  But that wouldn't be R&R ... that would be pathetic.

-TyRod-
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2004, 10:43:26 PM »

Well, it's nice to see Dave fucked up another thread. I cannot believe that his fucking bullshit is put up with around here.  He fucks up thread after thread and it's allowed. Un fuckin believable......  All the original poster said was the following :

"The so called new Guns N? Roses - (ought to be named "Axl Rose Band") - may delay their cd for 10 years or more in the future, I don?t care anymore."

That was his fucking opionion and he wasn't bashing Axl. Why the hell does Dave feel the need or why is he GIVEN the right to fuck up the whole thread because of that???  He is pretty much single handedly ruining this whole fucking place thread by thread. People (including myself) have been banned for alot less than his constant pussy bullshit.  

As for the original post. I couldn't agree with it more. Thank GOD for Velvet Revolver!!!! They have filled a void in my life that has been missing for a long time.

Can't wait to get the album....

badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2004, 10:44:37 PM »

Well, it's nice to see Dave fucked up another thread. I cannot believe that his fucking bullshit is put up with around here.  He fucks up thread after thread and it's allowed. Un fuckin believable......  All the original poster said was the following :

"The so called new Guns N? Roses - (ought to be named "Axl Rose Band") - may delay their cd for 10 years or more in the future, I don?t care anymore."

That was his fucking opionion and he wasn't bashing Axl. Why the hell does Dave feel the need or why is he GIVEN the right to fuck up the whole thread because of that???  He is pretty much single handedly ruining this whole fucking place thread by thread. People (including myself) have been banned for alot less than his constant pussy bullshit.  

As for the original post. I couldn't agree with it more. Thank GOD for Velvet Revolver!!!! They have filled a void in my life that has been missing for a long time.

Word man, word.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2004, 10:54:45 PM »

I fucked up this thead? Get real, the people that starting bashing board members are the ones who fucked it up.  I know the "cool' thing to do is bash axl yet its not ok say postive things for him.  The reason threads get ruined is because certain people attack the poster and do not refute the post. The problem is this. Its fine to bash axl on this board and praise  VR on the gnr board but its not ok to defend axl on this board or mention his name, go figure.
Again tomass you are not even talking about the topic at hand you are bitching at me because I dont think Vr is as good as you and some others. Disco ruined this thread by attacking me and not my post, its that simple.

Axl should not even have been mention in his review since he has nothing to do with VR.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 11:08:54 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2004, 10:59:45 PM »

I hope you get as much enjoyment out of the album as the rest of us VR fans have. If you don't fall in love with it after first listen, give it a few more spins and you will, trust me ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2004, 11:15:37 PM »

I wish it was as good as some of you have hyped it; i really think it's only ok. Perhaps mysteron was right when he suggested they spend more time on it; it has pockets of greatness but also lots of filler. Disappointing effort.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2004, 11:43:28 PM »

I wish it was as good as some of you have hyped it; i really think it's only ok. Perhaps mysteron was right when he suggested they spend more time on it; it has pockets of greatness but also lots of filler. Disappointing effort.

I still haven't gotten it.  When I first heard some of the poor quality versions I thought there was alot of great stuff and a couple blah songs like Headspace. Now that I have heard a good version of headspace I think it rocks. I also noticed some tunes tend to get better as they go on. Fuck it.... I can't wait til tommorrow to REALLY listen to it all.  Windows down , radio cranked, doobie sparked.....

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2004, 11:52:12 PM »

Because there is nothing to defend.  He killed that which we all loved, the original GNR.  And some of us are not too happy about that.  He has failed to produce a single above average song, let alone an album in 10 years.  And some of us are disappointed in him for that.
He didnt kill the band you loved. The band killed the band. They had musical differences. Slash wanted to go one way, Axl another. They were both stubborn and didnt compromise.

Actually in my eyes New Gnr have given us 6 samples of excellent music. Just because you dont liek them doesnt mean all other gnr fans dont liek them. As for the album...what if it turns out to be a masterpiece...?

If your happy that Vr are doing the "Rock N Roll" thing thats fine. If their actions and beliefs make an album they make great instead of the actual music thats your standards and opinion.
We'll see how many singles the band can awueeze out of contrabanf and how the album sells over time. That will give us a better read on how the people view the music. Not hyped up articles. Same thing with gnr. They are gonan get all the hype and promotion when they get goin. Lets see where it ends up.....and what determines that is the music....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2004, 12:40:16 AM »

Allot of interesting opinions here.
But like I have said before, maybe this album just isn't for some people .

I am almost addicted to it, as I've had it playing non-stop the last few days and with each listen it gets better and better and I notice more and more subtle things that stand out.

As for there being no singles, I think quite the opposite.
I think Sucker Train, Fall To Pieces, Headspace, YGNR are the stronger songs and would all make excellent singles. The rest of the other rockers, while good, I think would go over the head of most of the general public as they are not as accessible.
And let's not forget, both Set Me Free and Slither have both been released too and have had pretty good success on the radio.

Seeing as most albums these days only have about 3-4 singles anyway, I think that's pretty good shelf life for Contraband.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
discobiscuit1
Rocker

hitler bad , axl erm jury still out

« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2004, 01:06:27 AM »

'Disco ruined this thread by attacking me and not my post, its that simple'

News Flash loon boy, everyone here is sick to death of you. Most of these people are Axl and Guns fans, somewhat frustrated yes, and some with slightly negative opinions on GNR and Axl, but fans with valid points.

So stop acting like the thought police and sod off. You are ruining HTGTH for a lot of people.

' do not make an unatural connection with the beasts of the field'     sage advice from the bible kiddies
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2004, 01:11:10 AM »

'Disco ruined this thread by attacking me and not my post, its that simple'

News Flash loon boy, everyone here is sick to death of you. Most of these people are Axl and Guns fans, somewhat frustrated yes, and some with slightly negative opinions on GNR and Axl, but fans with valid points.

So stop acting like the thought police and sod off. You are ruining HTGTH for a lot of people.

So people that have a negative view of gnr and axl have valid points but the ones who have  negative points about VR are not vaild? Thanks for proving my point. Good Night. If  you want to discuss this further PM me ok, thanks again.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 01:14:25 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Sukie
With Arms Wide Open
Legend

I'm NOT a llama!!!

« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2004, 01:19:36 AM »

I want everyone to go back and read the freaking rules...I remember two of them specifically.  1) Stay on topic.  2) Don't insult other board members.  rant

Those are easy enough to understand.  This topic isn't about the members of this board.  It's supposed to be about VR.  
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2004, 01:24:02 AM »

This board is getting ridiculous please stop ruining it for the rest who like both Slash and Axl and are willing to enjoy Contraband and CD (Whenever the hell it is released).
deathcube
Opening Act

« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2004, 01:31:53 AM »

This board is getting ridiculous please stop ruining it for the rest who like both Slash and Axl and are willing to enjoy Contraband and CD (Whenever the hell it is released).

If you cant take the heat, then get outta the kitchen wala ok

hmmm well, of course we are all grateful for this new band, and this new album wich i hope gets on top of charts for a while
discobiscuit1
Rocker

hitler bad , axl erm jury still out

« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2004, 01:33:32 AM »

back on topic, I for one agree with the post. Thank God we have some music guns related, cos at the risk off offending any zealouts Im really frustrated and dissapointed that Axl cant get his shit together and release CD, so in the meantime thank god Slash and co have given us some music.

I still feel VR sounds a little glam rock / hair rock for my taste and is missing that x factor (read Axl), but in the end its a damn good rock record.

' do not make an unatural connection with the beasts of the field'     sage advice from the bible kiddies
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2004, 03:01:53 AM »

If you cant take the heat, then get outta the kitchen wala ok

hmmm well, of course we are all grateful for this new band, and this new album wich i hope gets on top of charts for a while

agh i knew it! da pet had to come here too  Tongue
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 03:02:45 AM by Walapino » Logged
Bravefish
Rocker

Live and Let Die

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2004, 03:23:13 AM »

Ignoring this sillyness, I honestly think that Contraband is the best album I have heard in so long and the material on the album is up there with my fav. FTP, YGNR, SuckerTrain and more simply blow anything that Ive heard since ive been growing up out of the water. Slash's guitar work is breathtaking, yet different it's a great sign, but FTP has one of the sweetest solos ive heard, easily has it's place among his best work for me, and Im one of the fans that he inspired so much!!

I love the album, it is Rock n Roll, with a dirty, heavy riff-based twist. Top quality melodies, guitar work just can't get enough of the album.

SORRY to do this, but with Dave it is pretty silly mate. You simply argue by guessing. NOONE knows wat happened with GNR 94 onwards both parties lie, but who cares, it's about the music.
With regards to the music, your opinion is your opinion, but for me any of the material on contraband blows anything that Axl has shown us and you got to remember that is like 6/7 songs which is an album, and more likely to be CD because he isnt going to play songs from the third of his alleged albums. So it gets tiring posting that this is better than that because it's ur view, we know wat it is that's that.

Actually thinking that Axl pulled out the best in Slash is stupid. It states on making of estranged, how Slash worked so hard to create the melodies for that song, do you think axl was creating it for him. DO you think that Axl made slash make up SCOM riff as a joke. SO you think that Axl made Izzy write Patience, and the other input he had. Nonsense, Axl was a a genius, but as seen is in my view nothing without the guns artillery!

Fish
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: