Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 10:09:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Copy bloker on contraband
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Copy bloker on contraband  (Read 19515 times)
charl!edontsurf
Rocker

Axl doesn't surf either...

« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2004, 01:57:56 AM »

System restore! There we go. Thanks man.

VAN: 11-7-2002 (RIOT!)
TACOMA: 11-8-2002
LONDON: 6-7-2006
DUBLIN: 6-9-2006
PARIS: 6-20-2006
ZURICH: 7-1-2006
CGY: 12-6-2006
EDM: 12-7-2006
CGY: 1-16-2010
EDM: 1-17-2010
SEA: 12-16-2011
VAN:
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2004, 11:31:57 AM »

I already downloaded from Mirc in #mp3albumz channel on EFnet  nervous isn't supposed to be protected?

No man can be my equal
EstrangedNightrain
Opening Act

« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2004, 01:58:26 PM »

Do they just put that copy protected warning on the cover to deter people from trying?  I just made a copy last night and I don't have any special bypass program or anything like that.  I just copied it like any other cd and it came out fine.  
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2004, 07:48:28 PM »

Here's an article about the album and copy protection: http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5238208.html

The test with Velvet Revolver , a group made of alumni from Stone Temple Pilots, Guns N' Roses and others, was the largest yet for BMG. The test uses MediaMax copy protection from BMG partner SunnComm International. The label says it does plan a growing number of protected releases over the course of this year, but is still choosing which CDs will include the technology on a case-by-case basis.

"We're thrilled with the results we've seen and the apparent consumer acceptance," said Jordan Katz, an executive vice president in BMG's distribution arm.

no

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Sukie
With Arms Wide Open
Legend

I'm NOT a llama!!!

« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2004, 11:22:17 PM »

It's not so much having to get around the copy protection, as not being dumb enough to install it onto your computer.

I ripped it with no problems whatsoever.

I'll keep that in mind for the NEXT go around.  I was one of the ones dumb enough to install it.   Tongue  But thanks for the helpful advice.   Wink
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2004, 05:24:31 PM »

The Copy protection sucks, can't rip the damn album to my Ipod.  Cry

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
slim
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2004, 03:48:13 PM »

Here's an article about the album and copy protection: http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5238208.html

The test with Velvet Revolver , a group made of alumni from Stone Temple Pilots, Guns N' Roses and others, was the largest yet for BMG. The test uses MediaMax copy protection from BMG partner SunnComm International. The label says it does plan a growing number of protected releases over the course of this year, but is still choosing which CDs will include the technology on a case-by-case basis.

"We're thrilled with the results we've seen and the apparent consumer acceptance," said Jordan Katz, an executive vice president in BMG's distribution arm.

/jarmo

Translation, we'll be attempting newer & better Copy Protection in the future since our customers don't seem to mind. rant
slim
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2004, 03:52:56 PM »

Another article about copy protection from C/Net: http://news.com.com/Customers+put+kibosh+on+anti-copy+CD/2100-1023_3-276036.html?tag=st.rn

Customers put kibosh on anti-copy CD

Last modified: November 19, 2001, 1:20 PM PST

By  John Borland
Staff Writer

?    ??    ??    ??

Complaints about anti-copying technology have forced a record label to issue CD replacements for angry consumers--another setback for the music industry's stuttering campaign against record piracy.

BMG Entertainment confirmed Monday that it has set up a hotline for consumers in the United Kingdom who are having trouble playing Natalie Imbruglia's latest CD in some CD and DVD players. The disc will be replaced by retailers or by the label itself, a company representative said.

"Certain limitations of the protection technology were unforeseeable and only (emerged) when the CDs were released into the general public," said Regine Hofmann, a BMG spokeswoman. "We do need to respond."

Imbruglia's "White Lilies Island," which hit stores less than two weeks ago, is the highest-profile release to be shipped with technology preventing it from being copied onto another CD or from being "ripped" into MP3 files using a PC. While still a test, the release is one sign that labels are becoming bolder in their quest for technology that prevents widespread CD piracy.

Universal Music Group has gone the furthest in its promises, saying it hopes to have all of its CDs protected with some kind of anti-copying technology by mid-2002. The other big labels have said they are experimenting with technologies and hope to find an acceptable version as soon as possible. For example, BMG tested Midbar Tech's Cactus Data Shield with the Imbruglia release.

According to Midbar, more than a million copy-protected CDs from various artists have been released in European markets. Macrovision, a rival company, said it has released more than 100,000 in the United States. However, most of the titles have been small releases and have not been confirmed.

But as labels issue more albums packed with copy protection, consumers are getting used to playing CDs on personal computers and creating digital versions of their music collections. Record labels note that sales of blank recordable CDs have gone up by 80 percent in the last year while album sales have dropped, adding a new sense of urgency to their efforts.

In this environment, BMG's return policy raises another potentially dangerous issue for record companies. Retailers are already seeing sales drop and may be loath to support and promote albums with copy protection for which they may later have to give refunds.

In a message board on Natalie Imbruglia's official Web site, a fan posted a letter this weekend purporting to come from Virgin Megastore's customer service, in which the store apologized and directed the customer to BMG's help line. A Virgin representative could not immediately be reached for comment.

At least in the United States, the relationship between retailers and record labels has been rocky in recent months, as labels have moved toward increasing direct online sales and offering subscription services. The release of copy-protected CDs could wind up giving the retailers more leverage with labels as they seek to protect their own businesses against online sales.

Protected discs could also fuel consumer backlash in the already contentious debate over anti-copying technology. Several Web sites have been set up to track reports of which albums have been released with the technology installed. In the United Kingdom, a consumer activist group has mounted picketing campaigns of record stores to bring attention to the issue.

That group, the Campaign for Digital Rights, says it is happy with the way BMG is handling the replacements of the Imbruglia disc.

"It's extremely satisfying," said Julian Midgley, a spokesman for the campaign. "This should make it harder for people to use ill-thought-out copy protection in the future."

BMG did not say how many protected copies of the disc had been distributed, but noted that the number was small compared to the overall release. The company gave no details on which models of CD or DVD players were unable to play the "White Lilies Island" album.

Still, there have been few complaints so far, Hofmann said.

"Of those people who complained the (most), we have the impression that (they) are the people who are burning" copies of CDs, she said. "But if there is a lack of playability, we have to do something about it."

ok
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 03:55:05 PM by slim » Logged
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2004, 05:37:04 AM »

Ok, I just thought I should mention this since I just found out about it.

If you still can't make it work, go to www.slysoft.com, download ANYdvd, then find the crack (which should be easy) and there you have it. The cd plays fine...

moreblack
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2004, 11:38:08 AM »

Great idea. One Foo Fighters "cd" was supposed to unlock all these special features on their site when you put the cd in the CD-drive, instead it just crashed my computer. ?no

lol!  hihi

Scott Weiland: "Man, I won't steer clear of shit. If I won't steer clear of wearing a fucking Nazi uniform coming into Europe, you think I'm going to steer clear of 'Fall to Pieces at Ozzfest?"
slim
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2004, 06:43:32 PM »

I haven't posted here since June, then bam, this old thred shows up in my mail.

You should still boycott this CD for copy protection.

Velvet Revolver still sucks. ok
ScottyGNR
Headliner

lets get serious

« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2004, 01:14:10 AM »

when i bought the album i naturally tried to download onto my hardrive.  it didn't work i guess there's something put onto the disc to prevent from file sharing or whatever.  is there any way around this??  i had given up but never thought to ask here.  has anyone downloaded the album onto their computer??

Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2004, 11:48:28 AM »

Fucking record compenias, they?re so hysterical,"If you want to have 3 copies of a record YOU MUST BUY 3 COPIES"you cant even have 2!!!!What will they do next, try to  make a law that forbids people to have burned CDs, carazy bastards!!

Baby Slash//

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Brighty
Opening Act

jobby

« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2004, 01:00:01 PM »

I burned my CB onto my MP3 player with no problems, my wee brother fucked my CD copy so I burned it again onto a CD-R again with no problems.

The technology didnt work on my copy I think and if it did id be pretty pissed, i shelled out for the CD and should be able to use it as I see fit as long as I am not mass pirating the thing.

just because its brown doesnt mean its shite
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: