Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 11:13:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Estranged an Awesomely Bad Song?!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Estranged an Awesomely Bad Song?!  (Read 21094 times)
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2004, 02:08:53 PM »

I just don't understand the metal conception of music. is the goal to make only noize? Huh

In a word, NO.

Some metal bands are very 'noizy' but you find more musicianship in good metal than in a lot of other genres.

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2004, 02:10:29 PM »

Metal sucks,

Please explain how Megadeth's, Motorhead's, Pantera's And Metallica's (early music) sucked.

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
using my illusions
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2004, 02:13:21 PM »

This sounds like a show put together and paid for by Duff and Slash.... "Here's $$, Now tell them that song sucks...TELL THEM!!!"
Timmy
Rocker

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2004, 02:17:37 PM »

Metal sucks,

Please explain how Megadeth's, Motorhead's, Pantera's And Metallica's (early music) sucked.

Because they did

Look, other people have opinions too!? ?Wink

You have your opinions he has his...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 02:21:28 PM by Timmy » Logged

T.T.
?.?.
Timmy
Rocker

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2004, 02:19:27 PM »

VH1 must be desperate for ratings, so they ue GNR's name on another countdown. 

So original!   Shocked

T.T.
?.?.
Timmy
Rocker

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2004, 02:24:35 PM »

Metal sucks, and very often, metal fans are totally closed-minded. In fact it's because they are used to listening to...noize. Estranged is fantastic, piano is fantastic it's one of the most wonderfull instrument to play.

rofl

and you don't think your comment was closed-minded?

T.T.
?.?.
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2004, 02:25:36 PM »

Vh1 Programming= Third-rate actors and comedians and 80's and 90's has-beens giving their opinions on things they are abosutely not qualified to give opinions on. Knock the video, I get it, but not the song....don't fuck around with song.

Here's a concept: a music video channel that just plays music viedos: no VJ's, no pop culture schlock programming...just continuous videos.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
jgfnsr
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2004, 03:43:36 PM »

First of all, Guns N' Roses are/were a hard rock band.? Not a heavy metal one.? And even the band's hardest stuff from Appetite really couldn't be considered "metal."

If the assclowns at VH1 don't like Estranged, that's one thing.? But don't knock it for something it isn't.? Take it for what it is.

And in The Dude's opinion, it's a masterpiece.? smoking
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2004, 04:51:36 PM »

VH1 countdowns blow!! Today I saw the Top 50 Great Rock Songs. The top 10 consisted of gigantic bands like GNR,Led Zep,Queen,Rolling Stones,etc,and the number 1 was...you guessed it,Smells like teen spirit. 
   I'm not trying to create another Nirvana debate,but come on!!!!!!!!!

Who cares what some idiots that want to look cool say?? We all know Estranged is one of the best songs in music history

Estranged is Heavy Metal...now I've heard'em all!

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2004, 05:23:32 PM »

Estranged is fucking excellent and the video is totally random where as it doesn't follow dont cry and November rain I think its cool really

EEEERRRR Little boy
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2004, 06:19:59 PM »

Just because they use the word metal doesn't mean tehy're implying everything is metal.. People consider everything that was on headbanger's ball to be metal, but when I was a youngster it was from winger to trixter to tesla to gnr to megadeth ,to metallica..  The thing is their concept of metal for their show is anything that is rock, or at least in hard rock category..

How many times have hair bands been called hair metal..?
To me metal is pantera, old metallica, maiden, megadeth, slayer and bands on that level..

SO just keep in mind they don't want a rock, hard rock ,clasic rock, emo, grunge, punk, hair, etc in all seperatec ountdowns, metal moments is just a cool name that is symbolizing rock n roll's categorys...

I'm sure everyone gets pissed attheir bands on the list, but it just a meaningless list just made for fun, I wouldn't sit here and try to analyze each part of it..

smell's like teen spirit will always be higher then november rain, and estranged will never make any top 100 list, it's just the way it is, is it right NO, but these are labels and the way people see thigns and there's nothign to be done, take it for what it is, A LIST..
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2004, 06:26:12 PM »

This is heavy metal the way i see it...
http://www.robhalford.com/audio/mutations/01%20-%20Into%20the%20Pit%20%5BLive%5D.mp3

estranged is in some way least metal, cuz it's not metal Tongue

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2004, 06:28:32 PM »

First of all, Guns N' Roses are/were a hard rock band.? Not a heavy metal one.? And even the band's hardest stuff from Appetite really couldn't be considered "metal."

If the assclowns at VH1 don't like Estranged, that's one thing.? But don't knock it for something it isn't.? Take it for what it is.

GNR was a Hardrock/metal/heavy band...  Theyr songs couldent be put in any category. Some songs was straight Rock n roll, others was metal, other was hard rock! They made alot of different music

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
jgfnsr
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2004, 06:38:28 PM »

GNR was a Hardrock/metal/heavy band...? Theyr songs couldent be put in any category. Some songs was straight Rock n roll, others was metal, other was hard rock! They made alot of different music

Perhaps some would consider what can be defined as "hard rock" vs. "heavy metal" subjective.

I don't.

Much of what made Guns N' Roses so successful was because they were a definitive example of what a hard rock band is.? Very much in the vein of Led Zeppelin or Aerosmith.

Heavy Metal is more Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, and Metallica.

Even when I think of GN'R's hardest stuff, I can't think of anything I would consider heavy metal.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2004, 07:39:49 PM »

Just my opinion but I'm with VH1 on this one, I cringe at the thought of that song.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
jgfnsr
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2004, 08:17:25 PM »

Just my opinion but I'm with VH1 on this one, I cringe at the thought of that song.

I cringe at the thought of people who cringe at the thought of that song.  Cheesy
PeterCoffin
Rocker

don't wear floppy pants

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2004, 10:02:21 PM »

Metal sucks,

Motorhead isn't metal. They are the bridge between punk and metal.

And Megadeth, Pantera, and Metallica sucked because they all sounded the same. If they were only one band and only came out with one album, it probably would have been good. But these bands wrote the same songs over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Several are still around. Still writing the same songs or playing nu-metal.

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2004, 10:15:01 PM »

VH1 are not the critical authority on music. We all know that.

Estranged is one of the great timeless songs of rock.

Estranged a metal song???

Yeah, if you compare the video to November Rain and Don`t cry, it is not as good as those.  But it is by far not a bad video. If you want to see a bad video, just turn on MTV at any moment provided they are playing videos.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2004, 12:44:09 AM »

wow, Estranged was the song with which Gnr won me over. I think these 'critics' confuse maturation with overindulgence. there was alot going on in this song and it was wonderfully constructed.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2004, 12:59:24 AM »

Estranged is GN'R's best work.  I hope the new bands "epic" songs match it's greatness.  VH1 revolves around hair bands, so I don't take this as a bad thing.  Just too many crazy dolphins involved.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: