Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 06:21:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228473 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Estranged an Awesomely Bad Song?!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Estranged an Awesomely Bad Song?!  (Read 22739 times)
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2004, 02:04:11 AM »

The funny thing is that when VH1 was on and this show was on, I told my brother that I prayed to the Heavens that "Estranged" wouldn't get on the countdown, even though I had a hunch that it would. Turns out I was saying that at video #33 and then Estranged made an "undignified" return to TV when it was played at 32 with critics bashing it left and right with all kinds of irrational statements and arguments.
I think this may have turned out to be a great thing for GNR and for the song because it does give it airtime and promotion - yeah its a bit pathetic, it should have gone down as the greatest video/song of all time in my opinion, but Im glad that since this video has suffered a bad fate from the day it stopped playing on MTV's rotation in 1993, at least it gets a mentioning now. Any promotion is good promotion at this point for GNR and the video and the song. I hope people get into it - that was Axl's dream.

The fact that this song even makes the list of "awesomely bad metal songs" shows what kind of impact it ultimately had on the public. I have a feeling that Axl and GNR had worn out the public's emotional interest when November Rain, Don't Cry and Yesterdays had played out Axl's emotions on video by the time Estranged came out. People also have a hard time relating to Axl's problems as demonstrated by the lyrics and content of the song and video. Axl did not publicize well that he had nearly committed suicide in 1990 and that he was in therapy dealing with some incredible traumas, despite his interviews with many magazine publications. Axl was still putting up a Rock God front and so people couldn;t connect the hard hitting image of Axl and his style with his true emotions. As someone commented tonite on the program, Why is Axl Rose bitching when he had girls sending their vaginas to him by postal express? I wonder so myself at times, but its definitly clear that his emotions which had brought him to the top of the rock world ultimately brought him and the band down as well. Something bothered the man - the only ones who know the real truth about the guy are his bandmates and his ex-girlfriends and I still find it strange as fuck how little they have exposed of the guy. I'll bet that its out of pity, because Axl is not a totalitarian leader. People can say whatever they want about him and get away with it. He's a geniune "sweetheart" who got carried away by some harsh elements in his life and those who wanted to take advantage of him for that and his talents and money and so these people feel bad about the guy and just don't talk about him and let him be.

By the way, as I've stated in the past - I broke down and cried when I first watched the video in 1999 on the "Welcome to the Videos" compilation. No Don't Cry for me, Im much better now and I got GNR's music to thank for nearly all of it.
I consider that moment to be the point where I became an ultimate GNR fan and I never looked back or looked to any other source for a greater music because I never had to again. I believe the cinematic piece to be the "most emotive video" (as personally stated by Andy Morahan in the "making of fucking videos - Estranged") ever in the MTV era and the song is indeed a very powerful one that has changed my life and given me a hope. The melodies are incredibles, the solos amazing and Axl's whispering at the beginning of the song sets the tone for a song that was unlike anything that GNR had ever recorded up until that point. I wish these "critics" (who are really rock journalists and comedians who are paid for a living to bash those with success and fame) would do a little research in the life of the guy who was behind many of the concepts and songs that made GNR the ultimate in Rock N' Roll in their time. Perhaps they'd have a better understanding of Axl's genius and know that unlike nearly all of the songs on that list, that is one that wasn't pulled out of his ass and that it really means something.

I look forward to the day that Axl gets his dignity back and can answer up to these haters. If he never does, then at least I got a treasure of Rock N' Roll that most people are too shallow and objective to understand in their lives.

ok
MNR

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2004, 02:16:53 AM »

estranged is an amazing song and video... fuck vh1
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2004, 02:49:17 AM »

As someone commented tonite on the program, Why is Axl Rose bitching when he had girls sending their vaginas to him by postal express?

rofl
mark.. i was in the middle of reading your wonderful post when you hit us with this quote and cracked me the fuck up!!!  rofl

ok.. now back to reading the rest of your post....
uh-hum... hm... aww...

Excellent post.
*applause*
*wipes tears from eye*  (okay.. maybe some of 'em are from when I was cracking up  Tongue )

Now I wanna go watch Estranged
Great song... and video also...   very touching and yeah... something that actually makes you think
I've listened to this song on repeat for hours at a time.... through the night in fact on many occasions...
Just beautiful
And the piano solo.. just beautiful
Axl's delivery...
oh I freakin' love the Tokoyo Illusions video live performance of this...

Axl delivers this with such emotion...
and I love how he just gets lost in the song....
*sigh*

You make an excellent and valid point about these so called 'critics'... it is their 'job' to make fun of shit to try and get a laugh
Fuck them.

Makes me think about what we will endure when CD comes out.  Roll Eyes
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2004, 06:31:47 AM »

the song and video are much too deep for the average music fan, thats the only explanation i can think of.

'axl's with dolphins" what the fuck" im like use your brain and figure out what that dolphin means.

when i see axl with the dolphin to me that means he found inner peace and clarity in life, critics and narrow minded folks see axl chillin with a dolphin, but oh well screw the narrow minded!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2004, 06:40:20 AM »

As someone commented tonite on the program, Why is Axl Rose bitching when he had girls sending their vaginas to him by postal express?

A funny quote, assuming the person was joking. Otherwise it's rather sad..  Roll Eyes

Metal sucks, and very often, metal fans are totally closed-minded. In fact it's because they are used to listening to...noize.

What are you, like 12? If ignorance is bliss I'd say you're one happy dude.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
thelostrose
Rocker

For Promotional Use Only...

« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2004, 06:41:14 AM »

This is heavy metal the way i see it...
http://www.robhalford.com/audio/mutations/01%20-%20Into%20the%20Pit%20%5BLive%5D.mp3

estranged is in some way least metal, cuz it's not metal Tongue

you're absolutely right. guns n roses was never near this kind of music.
awesome track btw!!!  ok

...this melody inside of me still searches for solution...
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2004, 08:34:51 AM »

Estranged has two awesome guitar solos and great intro riffs... Great song... Why is everyone bothered about wht VH1 says anyway?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 08:38:33 AM by Genesis » Logged

Fuck 'Em All.
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2004, 09:23:10 AM »

etrenged is ARt.GREAT song
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2004, 12:59:31 PM »

I think the timing of the single/video contributed to Estranged being on this list more than any content. Gnr were suffering through a critical and popular backlash at the time, antagonized by a bloated, overlong tour and a perception that they had lost the edge which had inspired their catclysmic rise to the top of the rock world.

Being an extremely personal song, following in the steps of at least 3 other extremely personal songs, Estranged took alot of flack for being self indulgent, redundant and bombastic when just months earlier NR was being hailed as one of the greatest rock epics for many of the same reasons.  The difference was of course the different perception of GnR relevance in the world of music. 

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Axl8302
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2004, 01:15:37 PM »

estranged is probably the best song from use your illusion2 (my opinion)....so does that mean use your illusion2 is shit!? well!? no it isn't. Vhi you suck so much.

If love is blind i guess i'l buy myself a cane..
war
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2004, 03:01:08 PM »

Does anyone know the other songs on that list??
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2004, 03:19:40 PM »

let all these poor "metal-lovers" speak about music, but don't pay attention to them because they don't know what music is about. Their only goal in life in drinking beer and listen to noize and critizice every songs wich isn't noize. Generally metal-lovers hate piano, because it's not enough "agressive" for them hihi as if music must always be "aggressive" to be listened to? rofl Hopefully Guns n' Roses is not a metal band, never was, and never will be. oh yeah and I repeat it a second time: Metal sucks Grin
Long life to...Rock n' Roll.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 03:25:49 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2004, 03:29:31 PM »

let all these poor "metal-lovers" speak about music, but don't pay attention to them because they don't know what music is about. Their only goal in life in drinking beer and listen to noize. Hopefully Guns n' Roses is not a metal band, never was, and never will be.

Tell us what music is about Nesquick (Beethoven)!? Grin And are you a guns n roses fan that doesn't drink?? rofl fuck man thats all they were about when they started. they always had a beer or JD in their hands back then. look at the group shot on the back of AFD axl has a Heinaken in his hand! I love G'n'R but alot of their tunes are just "noize" as well buddy.

Anyway I don't consider G'n'R to be heavy metal. And Megadeth and MEtallica sounded alot the same early on because Dave Mustaine wrote alot of their original metallica tunes man! Pantera doesn't sound anything like Megadeth or MEtallica. listen to the bands before you talk about them. I don't listen to Motorhead so I can't comment on them. but none of those 4 bands are anything like G'n'R so it's a redundant comparison.

Estranged is a good tune but not my favorite, the video is weird and the dolphin 'clicking' at the end is really dumb, I laugh every time I see it. the part with the swat team in Axl's house rules though.

I like heavy-metal but Piano once in a while is good, hell, most of the stuff I play around my daughter is classical. but guitar is my thing baby! I bet you didn't start listening to Guns because of the killer piano licks Cheesy did you? it was probably the whining Les Paul and Axl's sceething "noize" from Estranged, Sweet Child or Don't Cry that got you, wasn't it, you don't have to lie, its ok we all understand? Undecided
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 03:39:55 PM by Neemo » Logged

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2004, 03:41:45 PM »

to tell you the truth, I have absolutely never considered GN'R as beeing in the same kind of league that metallica, megadeath, panthera etc... this is not the same music style at all. It's like if you compared Queen to Linkin Park. Where is the link? It sounds totally different. For me, Guns n' Roses is "classic-rock" music, it sounds nowhere near of Metal. It's Rock n' Roll. They have a blues-rock approach in their music. and their sound is way more accessible. It's totally different. The closest band that can be considered as "metal" in the GN'R world is Velvet Revolver. it's barely metal indeed. but Guns n' Roses is nowhere near of that kind of sound. Don't forget that Velvet Revover doesn't sound at all like Guns n' Roses.

norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2004, 03:50:18 PM »

There are some diference between gunsnroses and oldguns

Gunsnroses are about, oh my god, madagascar, chinese democracy, silk worms etc

and it's not actually in the metalcategory. hard rock is that it?

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2004, 04:14:09 PM »

to tell you the truth, I have absolutely never considered GN'R as beeing in the same kind of league that metallica, megadeath, panthera etc... this is not the same music style at all. It's like if you compared Queen to Linkin Park. Where is the link? It sounds totally different.

Exactly

For me, Guns n' Roses is "classic-rock" music, it sounds nowhere near of Metal. It's Rock n' Roll. They have a blues-rock approach in their music. and their sound is way more accessible. It's totally different.

yeah and because it's "classic rock" the kiddies won't be overly fond of it, I'm thinking, and it remains to be seen if the blues type of sound will remain with 3/4 of the G'n'R writing core gone.

The closest band that can be considered as "metal" in the GN'R world is Velvet Revolver. it's barely metal indeed. but Guns n' Roses is nowhere near of that kind of sound. Don't forget that Velvet Revover doesn't sound at all like Guns n' Roses.

no they sound like STP on crack. hihi No wait I didn't mean that. (how was that for an oxymoron Smiley ) they sound like STP with a different Guitarist. beer

I am really digging VR though, they've really surpassed my expectations. I've always liked STP and G'n'R though so it was pretty much a given that I would like them (in my mind anyway)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 04:17:09 PM by Neemo » Logged

NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2004, 05:28:46 PM »

these "critics" (who are really rock journalists and comedians who are paid for a living to bash those with success and fame)

I couldnt agree more with this statement...to answer whoever asked, this is why I hate Vh1 and all it's little lists and flashback shows: the people who are doing the commentary are not people who i believe (espeically comedians from bad tv shows) are credible enought to be cosndiered arbiters of anything music-related...their quips aren't even funny. but i digress....I think there's a consesus from many gnr fans that Estranged was Axl's artistic high point as a song....regardless of what you think of the video. Even some casual fans I work with consider it the best GnR song they've ever heard...so the proof lies with the fans.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 05:42:50 PM by NickNasty2k5 » Logged

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2004, 05:33:28 PM »

I couldn't believe my fucking eyes reading this. I always thought the song was amazing. Besides I have never thought of GnR as a "metal" band anyway. To me they have always fallen into the bluesy hard rock vein. In their time they were a modern stones or zeppelin. And if they want to rag on the piano solo as not being rock n roll or metal or whatever the fuck they want to try to categorize the band cheaply into they should listen to let it bleed.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2004, 06:33:07 PM »

let all these poor "metal-lovers" speak about music, but don't pay attention to them because they don't know what music is about. Their only goal in life in drinking beer and listen to noize and critizice every songs wich isn't noize. Generally metal-lovers hate piano, because it's not enough "agressive" for them hihi as if music must always be "aggressive" to be listened to? rofl

Holy shit nesquick, you just came up with the dumbest post of the year.. I'm laughing my ass off! Gongrats!! ok

(EDIT: Never mind then, if you honestly can't see how ridiculous it is what you're saying up there, I'll just try to ignore you in the future.)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 07:08:07 PM by Skeletor » Logged

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2004, 06:46:24 PM »

skeletor are you in love with me? you seems to be on this board just for my posts. leave me alone man...
Are you behind me because I said metal sucks and that it didn't please you? well, I will repeat you that a second time, open your eyes: "Metal Sucks". Do you want another one? I can even put "metal sucks" on my profile if you want, just to show you I don't mid if you didn't like the fact I don't like metal. When I have something to say, I say it. This is the way I have always worked.  Grin
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 06:53:54 PM by nesquick » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: