Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 08:08:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227976 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Will Velvet Revolver make a second album
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will Velvet Revolver make a second album  (Read 19636 times)
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2004, 06:23:38 AM »

it still doesn't make sense because all I've ever heard was how dedicated Slash is to playing the guitar
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2004, 07:15:06 AM »

here are slash's exact words

i like being excited, which is why i have so much trouble when we have time off.  when i get up in the morning, i need to have something to look forward to.  Im not very self-motivated; im not of those guys that can get up and say, "im going to write a great song today." but if someone focuses me on something ill work my ass off.  but usually someone or something has to provide the impetus.  I can be the laziest fucker in the world when there is nothing to focus on.  I'll just watch TV and feel sorry for myself.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2004, 08:58:49 AM »

here are slash's exact words

i like being excited, which is why i have so much trouble when we have time off.? when i get up in the morning, i need to have something to look forward to.? Im not very self-motivated; im not of those guys that can get up and say, "im going to write a great song today." but if someone focuses me on something ill work my ass off.? but usually someone or something has to provide the impetus.? I can be the laziest fucker in the world when there is nothing to focus on.? I'll just watch TV and feel sorry for myself.

He needs a kick in the ass to initially get going then he probably gets right into it.. We all need a little motivation to get started but once we get going we are in it 100%..
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2004, 09:10:20 AM »

I can be the laziest fucker in the world when there is nothing to focus on.  I'll just watch TV and feel sorry for myself.

What I can extrapolate from this quote is that Slash can be lazy when hes not focused on music.  When he says "time off," he means when hes not making music.  Obviously, while working on VRs follow-up, hell be focused on something, therefore the laziness he speaks of is not really applicable. 

Anybody who follows Slashs career passingly knows that hes actually the opposite of lazy.  The guys probably done more work than any GNR member, past or present. 
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2004, 09:51:23 AM »

yeah i may have misinterpreted what he was tryin to say anyhow i find the velvet revolver music as good if not better than a lot of the GNR stuff so the 2nd record really has me excited!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2004, 11:20:32 AM »

You said "huge."  What would huge mean if not for record sales/popularity?  I also dont get the "impact" thing, and how it pertains to their musical output.

How can STP be huge or popular if they didnt hit big in Europe? Like I said, they were a very good band but they werent GNR,NIrvana,Metallica,Stones,etc.

STP music did not have an impact on the world. Weiland is not on that elite level like is.

Thats irrelevant to my point.  Id probably take Axl over anybody - Mick Jagger, Robert Plant, etc. - that doesnt make him the only "elite" frontman out there.  Theres many that are similarly good, and I believe Scott is one of them. 
Of course there are many good to excellent frontman but not elite. imo Scott is in the second tier.

So right now, I think Scott and Axl are pretty even overall, and Scotts done more to prove his current greatness, in my eyes, than Axl has.  So I dont know who Id take...but its that close.
Yea Scott is active right now. But Ill be willing ot bet the lyrical content and Vocals on Cd will blow Scott away. If you wanna crown Scott because hes active go ahead but when its all said and done hes not going to make the 2nd round of the fight.

I mean the tone of the band creates the tone of the fanbase.  The positivity surrounding VR has permeates through their fans...and the opposite goes for GNR.
There are plenty of positive gnr fans around. What im saying is that we have these haters/doubters or whatver you wanna call them that put gnr under a micrsope and analyze the fuk out of them. If you dont liek it simply leave. As a result the gnr fan is accustomed to this type of analysis so they know nothing other than to apply the same rules to vr.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2004, 11:38:48 AM »

Scott is not even close to being on the same level as scott. In stp or vr scott has never writtten a song as good as estranged, nov rain, coma, civil war or wttj.? You take scotts 5 best songs and axls and scott pales in comparison.

AS for finck vs slash.? A lot of people have done guitar work for the new album, finck, may, fortus, huge and bh.? Finck wrote the blues and its a great song musically.? Finck is a great guitarist, it may not be as good as slash but most guitarist are not, it doesnt mean they still cant write a kick ass guitar solo or song.? That is the problem with slash fans, they think without slash the music is going to suck well every band in the world cept for vr and doesnt have slash and they can come up with good riffs and solos.

CD is going to be an amazing album and with fortus, finck and bh (if he parts stick) the gutiar work could surpass anything on afd or the uyis.

The guitar work on VR is not that special and it has a lot of AFD riff rip offs.? IMO the blues solo and madagascar solo is better than most of the stuff on contraband.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 11:40:44 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2004, 12:08:59 PM »

CD is going to be an amazing album and with fortus, finck and bh (if he parts stick) the gutiar work could surpass anything on afd or the uyis.

Dave how's life in that world you live in..? When I hear fortus n finck I automatically think greatness.. Roll Eyes Be a littl realistic, you hear the blues and maddy and try to convince that B material is some of the best work to date in gnr..
I love how you automatically have surpassing the illusions and afd in guitar work.. Based on those crappy boots??

I'll take contraband anyday over that average work.. Oh I know he gave you the fillers first ,so he could save the better music for later hihi

SIlkworms stinks
rhiad, sounds like a third rate plant on that whale..
oh my god is terrible
cd is ok
maddy sounds like a theme to a church song
blues is recycled trilogy..
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2004, 12:15:42 PM »

Dave how's life in that world you live in..? When I hear fortus n finck I automatically think greatness.. Roll Eyes Be a littl realistic, you hear the blues and maddy and try to convince that B material is some of the best work to date in gnr..
I love how you automatically have surpassing the illusions and afd in guitar work.. Based on those crappy boots??

I'll take contraband anyday over that average work.. Oh I know he gave you the fillers first ,so he could save the better music for later hihi

SIlkworms stinks
rhiad, sounds like a third rate plant on that whale..
oh my god is terrible
cd is ok
maddy sounds like a theme to a church song
blues is recycled trilogy..

First off you are basing these songs on live performances not studio, so you really don?t know what they are going to sound like on the album.  The point is, CD is going to have 3 guitars on most of the songs and that is going to give you a wall of sound, and the guitars are going to sound very thick. 

Its funny you called the blues recycled trilogy, why is that? The guitar work on that song don?t sound like any riffs or solos did before but you can here that scom riff (a rip off of it) in one of contrabands songs.

The riffs in CD are better than any riff on contraband, and like I said the blues and Madagascar solo are better than pretty much everything on contraband, as for Riyadh and silkworms, people have said those are not even making the album, but the guitar work on Riyadh is insane, and the people that hear silkworms live said its very complex.

As for oh my god most gnr fans on these boards love that song and think its great. Remember that poll this board took and 70% of the fans liked it?  Its been done on other boards to and the same result.  Oh my god is a great song, you just hate it because slash is not on it, but the song is great. 

You cannot base the music part of the new songs on some crappy mp3s that you have heard.  Just listen to how much fuller madagadascar, the blues and cd sound on those short studio clips from that Boston tour ad.

Id put the blues and Madagascar right up there with the best of gnrs old stuff. The blues and Madagascar are better than a lot of the old stuff.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 12:20:06 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2004, 12:20:56 PM »

How can STP be huge or popular if they didnt hit big in Europe? Like I said, they were a very good band but they werent GNR,NIrvana,Metallica,Stones,etc.

Because theyre an American band, who were based in America, and European success is secondary to say the very least. ?

STP music did not have an impact on the world. Weiland is not on that elite level like is.

Well once again, I point out that "impact" doesnt have much bearing on "greatness." ?

Of course there are many good to excellent frontman but not elite. imo Scott is in the second tier.

Now youre just mincing words. ?As for Scotts "tier," I disagree. ?

Yea Scott is active right now. But Ill be willing ot bet the lyrical content and Vocals on Cd will blow Scott away. If you wanna crown Scott because hes active go ahead but when its all said and done hes not going to make the 2nd round of the fight.

And thats not because I wanna put VR down and make it a gnr/vr thing. Im not about that. Its fukin music.

I knew there was a reason this struck me as disingenuous.

Im not "crowning" Scott, and if I were, its would be based on his current performances and Axls 2002 performances, not Axls inactivity.

There are plenty of positive gnr fans around. What im saying is that we have these haters/doubters or whatver you wanna call them that put gnr under a micrsope and analyze the fuk out of them.

I repeat...the band helps create the tone. ?Would the "haters" be whining about waiting 14 years for a new record if, I dont know, Axl put out a new record? ?I personally doubt it. ?So its not the same thing as "VR-bashing."

If you dont liek it simply leave.

So you, and others like you, dont want to practice this? ?Out of spite?

As a result the gnr fan is accustomed to this type of analysis so they know nothing other than to apply the same rules to vr.

See above - its not the same rules until GNR actually has some music.

I wont even bother with Daves post...As 2005 looms, Im really starting to feel sorry for the guy. ?Hang in there, buddy. ?Cry
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2004, 12:25:47 PM »

No way the riffs on those boots are better then contraband, nothing sticks in my mind witht eh boots, contraband has some catchy riffs.. ?That album is filled with energetic music, it has variety in a rock way, not liket ehillusions of course, but variety in a afd type of.. Now I didn't say as good as afd, just the style of the music, hard rockers, ballads, etc.

This is odd, you'll tell me not to form opinions off of live perfromances, yet you have formed an opinion on how amazing things will be just off those same boots.

I said it was recycled because it has the feel of those songs but just weaker, like axl tried to take a mastepiece but came out with a weak version of his bigger songs with pianos..

Id put the blues and madagascar right up there with the best of gnrs old stuff. The ?blues and madagascar are better than A lot of the old stuff.

I feel it's wekae rthen most, I would put it towards the bottom of the list.. Axl and his keyboards n pianos just have that been there done that feeling, you can't have gems like estranged and nr each time out..

I never said I don't like all the songs, I just am not going to say this is a masterpiece or gnr's best work from any year, I think that's just someone starved for material trying to convince themselves that stuff is better then it is.

It's your opinion though, and it's your feeling so enjoy.. I'll just wait for the new stuff, I can't talk about those old songs anymore..
It's like people are clutching on to them, I see no need to, I want the better music..
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2004, 12:27:00 PM »

Booker thank god you won't bother with my posts, but you know that I am right with what I have said.
Also, this album not ?being out yet does not even effect me. Like I said there is some great music out there (get the new green day ablum), and CD will come out when it does. But when it does people like you won't have your little wise cracks anymore and then you will just go to your next bit with how CD is not as good as the old stuff and its not as good with out slash. I am sure ?you already have your stuff written down before even hearing the album.

The only people that this album not being out yet its not the people who want it, its the people who pray it never comes out so they can keep bashing axl for taking so long.

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2004, 12:32:47 PM »

No way the riffs on those boots are better then contraband, nothing sticks in my mind witht eh boots, contraband has some catchy riffs.. ?That album is filled with energetic music, it has variety in a rock way, not liket ehillusions of course, but variety in a afd type of.. Now I didn't say as good as afd, just the style of the music, hard rockers, ballads, etc.

This is odd, you'll tell me not to form opinions off of live perfromances, yet you have formed an opinion on how amazing things will be just off those same boots.

I said it was recycled because it has the feel of those songs but just weaker, like axl tried to take a mastepiece but came out with a weak version of his bigger songs with pianos..

Id put the blues and madagascar right up there with the best of gnrs old stuff. The ?blues and madagascar are better than A lot of the old stuff.

I feel it's wekae rthen most, I would put it towards the bottom of the list.. Axl and his keyboards n pianos just have that been there done that feeling, you can't have gems like estranged and nr each time out..

I never said I don't like all the songs, I just am not going to say this is a masterpiece or gnr's best work from any year, I think that's just someone starved for material trying to convince themselves that stuff is better then it is.

It's your opinion though, and it's your feeling so enjoy.. I'll just wait for the new stuff, I can't talk about those old songs anymore..
It's like people are clutching on to them, I see no need to, I want the better music..

Mike I never based my opinions on how the guitar work will be on CD based on the bootes, didnt you read my post? I said I bashed them off having three guitar players and the talent that has worked on this album. 

You say the blues is weaker than the old gnr ballads? well its stronger than the VR ballads, so what does that say about the VR ballads? The blues and madagascar are both better than dont cry and patience IMO, so maybe in YOUR opinion they are weaker but not in everyones eyes. On other music forum i post, i gave some people the new songs and a few of them claimed madagascar is one of the  best gnr songs ever. So again its just  your opinion they are weaker.

Also if you believe what axl said, the songs they have played live are not even the big guns. Dont forget we still have not heard this I love, TWAT and euogly of a broken heart. The people that have heard them (vh1 boards back in 2002) said they were amazing. 

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2004, 12:34:11 PM »

Dave if cd is awesome I will say cd is awesome, but if it sn't awesome will you say it isn't? I can sit here and be honest and tell you songs off contraband are not as good as other on there, I just can't stand when people just keep going on and on about invisible music and this will be an epic album and this n that when they haven't heard one song..

As for being a little harsh on axl, it's not because I have some personal hate for the man, it's out of disgust for the lack of music and the tons of excuses people here make for the guy.. I mean be a man and say it sucks the dude takes forever..

I can say vr took some time from 2003, but at least you were kept informed that tehy were trying to find a singer and then kept getting info after, the gnr camp makes people angry because it's never anything positive, it's an album ,not the cure for cancer keep the fans informed..
Bottom line if cd rocks I will say it does, if I don't like a song I will say it.. I am just so tired of the scott vs axl shit.. They are two different people, some people outside of these forums hate axl n love scott, same goes the other way ,it's all personal feeling n opinions, either way no one is going to change anyones mind..
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2004, 12:35:37 PM »

Dave if cd is awesome I will say cd is awesome, but if it sn't awesome will you say it isn't? I can sit here and be honest and tell you songs off contraband are not as good as other on there, I just can't stand when people just keep going on and on about invisible music and this will be an epic album and this n that when they haven't heard one song..

As for being a little harsh on axl, it's not because I have some personal hate for the man, it's out of disgust for the lack of music and the tons of excuses people here make for the guy.. I mean be a man and say it sucks the dude takes forever..
ott, same goes the other way ,it's all personal feeling n opinions, either way no one is going to change anyones mind..

I have already stated id be the first person to bash axl for taking soo long if CD sucks. 

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2004, 12:38:59 PM »

On other music forum i post, i gave some people the new songs and a few of them claimed madagascar is one of the  best gnr songs ever. So again its just  your opinion they are weaker.
I've done the same witht eh bblues mp3, I took the one witht eh echo and got opinions on a forum that wasn't centered around music.. I've been to howard stern's webiste and had a few hundred replies before it closed, every one was micxed, some love new gnr, some hate them ,some hated axl, some like=d vr, some thought it was stupid, some thing scott is a fag..  Everyone has an opinion..

As for the ballads vs the two groups.. It's just what you like.. Songs like lvoing the alien, you got no right, fall to pieces to me are ral cool ,I enjoyt ehm, plus tehy are very different ehn the other two (blues n maddy)

You like what you like and that's it..

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2004, 12:39:10 PM »

Because theyre an American band, who were based in America, and European success is secondary to say the very least. ?

Yeah, it would only be important IF they had been popular over here. ?hihi

VR are based in America too, yet they're gonna play five shows in London next month. I guess they're doing it so they can be popular in the States..... ?Wink

The Stones, GN'R, Metallica, U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana etc have all one thing in common, they are/were popular worldwide. STP wasn't. They're not the big rock band some of you seem to think.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2004, 12:40:04 PM »

Gnr was an American band based in America. If you want to be ignorant and not take Europe into consideration thats your problem.
Answer me this question. Did STP get nearly as big as GNR yes or no. Gnr hit it big. Thats getting to elite legendary status.
I can name u a million bands that hit it big in the states but not in Europe. Guess what they are descent rock bands or if you think there great fine, but they are not considered elite.

And thats not because I wanna put VR down and make it a gnr/vr thing. Im not about that. Its fukin music.

I knew there was a reason this struck me as disingenuous.
So because I dont think Scott is on Axls level that means Im knocking him?

I repeat...the band helps create the tone. ?Would the "haters" be whining about waiting 14 years for a new record if, I dont know, Axl put out a new record? ?I personally doubt it. ?So its not the same thing as "VR-bashing."
They wanna whine about the delays go ahead. But when I have to hear about the band is ntohing but aliens with braids and all that other garbage it gets annoying. When I have to hear how they are trying ot be somthing they are not over and over again, it gets annoying.

to best articulate my point go listen to Axls rant in 1992 at the Chicago show right after civil war. That whole rant and what Axl says represents the people that lurk here.

Ok, so what do the dam songs/album have to sound liek for it not be recycled? What does the band have to put out in order for you not to say its recycled, th eband is trying to be somthing theyre not, or Axl tried to create a masterpiece and missed?

Were you in the studio whent hey were making the blues? Did Axl say this was a masterpiece song? Its a fukin ballad dude. A regular rock n roll ballad. Like dont cry etc. Not an epic. Just like FTP and YGNR... BALLADS NOT EPICS.
or maybe they ar egood fukin tunes. If they werent good they would have been out of my cd player yrs agi. I lsiten to the new gnr songs day in and day out. There was like one 1 month strecth where i didnt listen to new gnr. Other than that I have been listening to it for the past 4 going on 5 yrs now. Trust me if they sucked they would have been gone.
Theres a difference between me n you I gues. You have your arms crossed shaking your head and Im rocking out becausae the songs flat out rock.
The opening riff to CD is great. Its so slimy and grungy yet on that clip it sounds so clean. Gets me giddy all the time....

« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 12:48:50 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2004, 12:47:04 PM »

Everyone has their likes n dislikes, I just have no great interest for the newer songs I've heard, I can't help it.. I do have the songs on my pc, I play them every once and a while and I just can't get into it.. RHiad, silkworms & oh my god to me are just not something I can listen to..

Out of all the new songs if I had to pick my two favorite it would be maddy n cd..

Remember dude they're in YOUR cd player because YOU like them ,I just don't feel the same way.. I said I can't understand the masterpiece level people putt hem in, and the better of alot of gnr tunes .,To ME that makes no sence, I like alot of songs, but very very few are masterpieces,,

Either way I don't want to argue, I just hate the scott vs axl stuff.. I'm just happy scott is outt here playing his ass off, that's about it..

As for the blues it just reminded ME of certain old gnr tunes, it's not weird to take new material from gnr and posibly compare it to some of the older stuff then rate it..
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2004, 12:51:40 PM »

Yeah, it would only be important IF they had been popular over here. ?hihi

VR are based in America too, yet they're gonna play five shows in London next month. I guess they're doing it so they can be popular in the States..... ?Wink

The Stones, GN'R, Metallica, U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana etc have all one thing in common, they are/were popular worldwide. STP wasn't. They're not the big rock band some of you seem to think.

/jarmo

Does being big in only some coutries mean that?? I mean I hear robbie williams is huge, yet he never is heard of here, oasis I hear is massive, but they had their very brief two song stint in the states in the usa around 96..

STP's debut core sold like hotcakes, platinum nine times, they were very big here, they don't have lgenerdry fame like the others mentioned but they had big fame in their native land..

They're famous, just not worldwide.. They were in the big groups during the seatle movement
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: