Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 11:10:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228060 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Tape shows New Orleans cops beating black man
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tape shows New Orleans cops beating black man  (Read 24909 times)
SLCPUNK
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2005, 04:12:00 AM »

How about innocent until proven guilty.  Why are you so quick to condemn the cops without all the evidence?  What is your agenda?

I think you are missing a point here.

Even if the guy was guilty enough to be arrested, then gave them a hard time, it STILL does not warrant that kind of beating. That is not how we are supposed to operate in America. A stike of force to take the guy down sure, but after that, does the beating continue?

And, once more, the guy is a retired 64 yr old man. I ask all of you how you would react if that was your Dad being beat down like that. Would you first say "Oh well, we should not judge the cops without evidence." The hell you would. You would be screaming foul from moment one.

So yea, am quick to condemn the cops. I can't imagine much that could justify their actions, sorry. Once the guy was down, it doesn't matter if he shot a cop, their job is to arrest that man and take him in. Not beat him to a pulp..... that is why we have a justice system. One of the things we claim divides us from the rest of the world? A police force that does not act with brutality and like it is the wild west when they feel.

If a man is fighting back that is different, but was he? Or were they just beating his ass?

And if the police were arrested....they must have been doing something right? I mean, that is what you are placing on the victim, can that not be applied to the police as well?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2005, 04:15:05 AM »

Im not saying there arent bad cops, but for 3 to do it in the open, i just believe the guy did something to provoke it.

Those women wearing short skirts were provoking "it" too.....huh?
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2005, 12:37:56 PM »

This guy is a 64 yr old elementry school teacher, that said he hasn't had a sip of alcohol in 25 years. Hey, even if he was out of line, did they really need to use that kind of force on a retired old guy?

Look at this guy....what a maniac!? hihi I'm suprised they didn't have to taser him too......

This pic was taken after the beating.... With the exception of the black eye It doesn't look like he took an "excesive" beating.

Untill you have had to subdue and handcuff a suspect you can't begin to understand what is necesary to achive that goal.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2005, 01:01:29 PM »

I just watched the beating again (two different shots). It was totally fuckin inexcusable!

Anybody you thinks this is ok is an ASSHOLE. Straight up.

This guy was standing still up against the wall, and then.....

They sucker punched this guy four times, then choked him and while he was be held on the ground they continued to beat him in the back head. A white woman came out of the crowd and said "he didn't do anything, he didn't do anything". The threatened to arrest her. The video is clear as day, that these assholes abused their power. Then they attack the camera man by pushing him against the car and yelling at him.

http://media.putfile.com/neworleanspolicebeating96

Anybody who backs this shit up is a total loser!

Apparently their supervisor did not approve: ?"The actions that were observed on this video are certainly unacceptable by this department," Riley said, and "To see this tape, it's troubling," he told CNN television.

This pic was taken after the beating.... With the exception of the black eye It doesn't look like he took an "excesive" beating.

Untill you have had to subdue and handcuff a suspect you can't begin to understand what is necesary to achive that goal.

Yea, take a look at the actual bleeding and the injuries sustained to his head. There is blood everywhere, and his eye is swollen shut.

So, let me ask you this: as long as the beating isn't excessive, then it is ok? Is that what you are saying?

What is wrong with you people?

« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 01:04:42 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2005, 01:10:21 PM »

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=19865

This video interview says enough.
These two men who were relief volunteers witnessed the entire thing. They said the video did even show the extent of the beating.

BRADENTON, Fla. ? Two hurricane relief volunteers said they were grabbed and shoved roughly by at least one federal official in New Orleans after they saw two police officers beating a man whose assault was videotaped by reporters.

Homeland Security officials said they were investigating the allegations.

University of South Florida students Calvin Briles and Mike Monaghan said they were walking in the French Quarter this weekend when they came across Robert Davis, whose taped beating was captured by an Associated Press Television News crew. An APTN producer was also pushed against a car by another officer.

"We couldn't believe it. ... It was just a bad situation," Briles, 21, told the Bradenton Herald.

When law enforcement tried to clear bystanders from the area, Briles said, "I want to tell somebody about this."

The Palmetto resident said that's when a man wearing a U.S. Customs vest grabbed him, threw him against a car, pressed his head against the hood and told him, "It's none of your business."

"I was just manhandled like I've never been before," Briles said, adding that another official also pushed him around. "They wouldn't let me say anything."

Monaghan, 22, of Bradenton, said he saw Briles' cell phone hit the ground as he was pressed against the car and handcuffed. Monaghan said he then tried to pick up the phone and a police horse "nudged" his head. An unidentified official grabbed him from behind and asked him why he hit the horse, he said.

Monaghan said he hadn't hit the horse but that the official handcuffed him, kicked his legs open and searched his pockets. He said he was let go shortly after, but Briles remained face down on the pavement.

Briles said officials listed a handful of charges he would face, including impeding a federal investigation. But no one read him his Miranda rights, he said. After checking for a criminal record, the officials let him go, he said.

"We felt violated," Briles said.

The two students returned to Florida and said they reported the incident to federal officials.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesman Marc Raimondi said Wednesday that "we take all allegations seriously." He said the Homeland Security Department's inpesctor general would look into the case.

Wade Thompson, the students' lawyer, said his clients had no additional comment when contacted by the AP.

The two city police officers accused in Davis' beating, and a third accused of grabbing and shoving the APTN producer, pleaded not guilty to battery charges and were released Monday. Davis pleaded not guilty to charges of public intoxication, resisting arrest, battery on a police officer and public intimidation.

___
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 01:15:07 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
sandman
Legend

« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2005, 01:22:50 PM »

should those cops be punished?  YES.

should the laws be changed to give cops more leeway in these situations?  YES.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
SLCPUNK
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2005, 02:44:29 PM »

should the laws be changed to give cops more leeway in these situations?  YES.

How so?

Leeway in what regard?
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2005, 03:20:16 PM »

oh man dont you love democracy...or rather judging by that video, whats left of it... hihi

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2005, 05:46:01 PM »

When we gonna hear when a black cop beat up a white guy, this shit pisses me off!!

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Sterlingdog
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2005, 06:54:40 PM »

Just to be clear on my point, I'm not saying that action shouldn't be taken against the officers, it should.  A jury will look at it and decide if it is excessive force.  To me, I would guess it is.  But I haven't seen the whole tape, I've seen maybe 5 seconds of it. 

I also now see that the man is claiming that he was indeed just walking down the street.  If that's true, then its outrageous and unacceptable.  I don't believe that for a second, but again, that's why he was charged with a crime and we'll see if he's found guilty or not. 

My point was only that I don't feel sorry for someone who gets injured when they commit a crime, particularily if the crime is against a police officer.  That doesn't mean I think the police should have leeway to beat the hell out of anyone who pisses them off.  And if they are bad cops, and they committed a crime, they should suffer punishment for it.  But no one will ever make me feel sorry for a criminal.  I believe too strongly in personal responsibility and suffering the consequences of your choices.  That goes for the cops too, if they committed a crime and lose their jobs or go to jail, I won't feel sorry for them either. 

I would only like to point out that "excessive force" tends to be a subjective term.  How much is too much?  Maybe its obvious it was too much in this case, I don't know, I haven't actually seen much of the tape.  But the simple fact that an officer hit someone doesn't make it a crime.
Sterlingdog
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2005, 08:02:39 PM »

The other side of the story:

NOPD Lawyer: Tape Doesn't Tell Whole Tale
By ROSS SNEYD, Associated Press Writer
17 minutes ago

NEW ORLEANS - A police union official and a lawyer for officers accused in the beating of a retired teacher on Wednesday sharply disputed the man's contention he was brutalized during his arrest, which was captured on video.

Attorney Frank DeSalvo said the video shows a truncated version of the Saturday night arrest and he disputed details the video shot by Associated Press Television News appears to have captured, including whether the 64-year-old suspect was punched in the face.

"I see an incident of a man trying to be brought under control who doesn't want to be brought under control," DeSalvo said.

The man who was beaten, Robert Davis, pleaded not guilty Wednesday to charges of public intoxication, resisting arrest, battery on a police officer and public intimidation.

Davis has described himself as a recovering substance abuser who has not had a drink in 25 years. His lawyer asked prosecutors to dismiss charges, but his trial was set for Jan. 18.

The two city officers accused in the beating, and a third accused of grabbing and shoving an APTN producer, are due to go on trial on battery charges a week before Davis' trial.

Davis' lawyer, Joseph Bruno, said the APTN videotape of the confrontation shows his client being brutalized by police for no reason. After the arraignment, however, leaders of the city's police union offered their own interpretations.

Police union officials described Davis as so intoxicated that he staggered down the street, stumbled into a police horse and became belligerent when officers intervened.

DeSalvo said police union officials had "broken the thing down frame by frame" and saw officers trying to bring under control an angry man. "He brought it on by his actions," DeSalvo said.

No tests for intoxication were administered following the arrest. In such cases, judges typically rely on officers' observations, said police spokesman Marlon Defillo.

The officers involved in the incident _ Lance Schilling, Robert Evangelist and S.M. Smith _ did not speak during the news conference. DeSalvo said Schilling and Evangelist hit Davis' shoulders, and he denied the arrest was as violent as has been portrayed.

"He clearly was not hit in the face," DeSalvo said.

DeSalvo also disputed Davis' lawyer's contention that Davis suffered fractures to his cheek and eye socket. DeSalvo said the injuries were scrapes caused when he was placed face down on the pavement.

The three officers have been suspended without pay. Lt. David Benelli, president of the police union, said the suspensions would be appealed, although that's been delayed by a city government stalled in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Davis did not speak to reporters after his arraignment. He has said he approached a mounted police officer to ask about the city's curfew while searching for cigarettes on Bourbon Street and a confrontation ensued with another officer.

sandman
Legend

« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2005, 01:12:09 PM »

should the laws be changed to give cops more leeway in these situations?? YES.

How so?

Leeway in what regard?

i think policemen should be allowed to use more force than the law currently permits. especially when someone is resisting arrest. for example, if you show ANY resistance, cops should be allowed to club you over the head with their night stick three times.

sandman
Legend

« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2005, 01:18:17 PM »

When we gonna hear when a black cop beat up a white guy, this shit pisses me off!!

good point. you hear about it occasionaly, but it doesn't sell as many newspapers.

there was a big story in philly a few months back involving a black cop abusing a white guy, but the story went away quickly. there's no political activists out there that will make a big issue of it.

no matter what color, i have little sympathy for criminals.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2005, 04:21:42 PM »

I think its funny how people can take the word of an old former drug addict over respected police officials, what does that say bout some of u?

SLC u need to stop looking at one side of stuff and jumpin to conclusions

thats what u do dude on everything

U never take the time to look at both sides of the story and THEN make a fair judgement

U see one side and jump on others who choose to wait to hear both sides of the story which is what u are suppose to do.

the photo of that guy isnt bad, I dont think he was beat that bad and if he was resisting arrest

HE FUCKIN DESERVED IT!

Loser, asshole call me what u will, but U arent down there tryin to restore order to a fuckin place that has been ripped apart now are u?

I just had two State Trooper friends of mine come back from New Orleans and they couldnt believe how out of control it was. Everyone jumps on the cops but this guy was obviously breaking the law, then he obviously resisted and kept resisting arrest.

People cant see past a 64 year old man, that is insignificant, U all act like old people arent capable of pullin out a gun and shooting u or stabbing u.

So who are u to judge anybody on how they go about doing their job?

U arent the one risking your livelihood and your life, they are, so maybe u should chill on who u call names.....

How bout that?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 04:23:13 PM by D? » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2005, 04:40:57 PM »

Cops know what they are getting into when they sign up.  It's not Andy of Mayberry out there anymore.  They have to be able to keep their cool, no matter the situation.  For better or for worse they sat the example are are supposed to uphold the law not twist it and bend it to fit their needs at the time.
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2005, 10:59:20 PM »

Other Video:

http://www.ogrish.com/archives/2005/october/ogrish-dot-com-new_orleans_beating.wmv

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2005, 03:26:48 AM »

the photo of that guy isnt bad, I dont think he was beat that bad and if he was resisting arrest

HE FUCKIN DESERVED IT!

Shame on you.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2005, 03:34:11 AM »

You can clearly see the extent of the beating here. Not the cleaned up mugshot and next day picture all the aplogists want to hold dear for arguments sake. There is blood everywhere, all over his face, the ground, his shirt, pants etc. He has had the shit beat out of him. I like how the cop comes up and pushes his back with his boot as he starts to roll over to get his face out of the blood.

I guess that is when they gave him the resisting arrest with violence charge..... Roll Eyes

Lets see: AP reporter grabbed and pushed on a car, two relief workers handcuffed and pushed down (now testifying to federal authorities), a cop on a horse trying to block the camera man, people shouting from the crowd "he didn't do anything", and a tape of two cops beating a man in the back of the head, before, and after he is down. And people say I'm just taking sides without weighing all the evidence?  Roll Eyes Wake the fuck up. Even if he did resist arrest (which he was not), it is not ok to beat this man like this.

At this point I am just as disturbed that anybody could condone this as much as the act itself. And, this is the only board where I have seen anybody ok it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 03:37:21 AM by SLCPUNK » Logged
Rain
VIP

ai-ki-do is the path

« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2005, 03:43:55 AM »

You can clearly see the extent of the beating here. Not the cleaned up mugshot and next day picture all the aplogists want to hold dear for arguments sake. There is blood everywhere, all over his face, the ground, his shirt, pants etc. He has had the shit beat out of him. I like how the cop comes up and pushes his back with his boot as he starts to roll over to get his face out of the blood.

I guess that is when they gave him the resisting arrest with violence charge..... Roll Eyes

Lets see: AP reporter grabbed and pushed on a car, two relief workers handcuffed and pushed down (now testifying to federal authorities), a cop on a horse trying to block the camera man, people shouting from the crowd "he didn't do anything", and a tape of two cops beating a man in the back of the head, before, and after he is down. And people say I'm just taking sides without weighing all the evidence?? Roll Eyes Wake the fuck up. Even if he did resist arrest (which he was not), it is not ok to beat this man like this.

At this point I am just as disturbed that anybody could condone this as much as the act itself. And, this is the only board where I have seen anybody ok it.

Yeah because after all  here you are just one of those mean lefties !!!  yes Grin

I guess my opinion doesn't actually matters because I'm not an USA resident. But it scares the shit of me when people never question the police or ask for an extension of its power wherever it may be. In France Nicolas Sarkozy scares the shit out of me ! Extention of powers for the police or the army is for me the sign of a weak democracy.

The force ... the force ...
sandman
Legend

« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2005, 10:59:12 AM »

Lets see: AP reporter grabbed and pushed on a car, two relief workers handcuffed and pushed down (now testifying to federal authorities), a cop on a horse trying to block the camera man, people shouting from the crowd "he didn't do anything", and a tape of two cops beating a man in the back of the head, before, and after he is down. And people say I'm just taking sides without weighing all the evidence?? Roll Eyes Wake the fuck up. Even if he did resist arrest (which he was not), it is not ok to beat this man like this.

Yeah because after all? here you are just one of those mean lefties !!!? yes Grin

I guess my opinion doesn't actually matters because I'm not an USA resident. But it scares the shit of me when people never question the police or ask for an extension of its power wherever it may be. In France Nicolas Sarkozy scares the shit out of me ! Extention of powers for the police or the army is for me the sign of a weak democracy.

i understand your point. you think it could turn into a slippery slope, and someday we'll all live in fear of the policemen.

but i'm worried about the slippery slope that has existed for years in the U.S. The one that protects criminals more than law-abiding citiznes. the one that protects criminals more than the cpos that have to deal with these low-lifes. The one that allows criminals to have no fear and taunt and disrespect cops because they know our laws permit it.

we need to give cops more flexibility to strike some fear in these bastards. and call me crazy, but i think giving cops more leeway to dish out some pain might even decrease crime a little bit. and they might get a little more respect in the streets. and to me, that would be a win-win.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: