Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 10:41:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228015 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Is This Better Than "Contraband"...?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is This Better Than "Contraband"...?  (Read 12458 times)
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2006, 02:14:46 PM »

to be honest, i never expected VR to be like GN'R but i think they're really shit band with only 3 good songs. I prefer all of GN'R songs to VR apart from Silkworms.

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Origen
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2006, 03:32:49 PM »

They are too different to compare. But I prefer VRs stuff quite alot.

And ARC you like making hostile comparisons don't you, maybe you should beg Rick to let you back in MyGnR  ok
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2006, 11:18:32 AM »

Axl Rose>Scott Weiland. Not that that's ever been mentioned before? hihi

Yes but Slash>Finck and buckethead
? ? ? ? ? ? ?Duff>Stinson
? ? ? ? ?

Yes, but:

4tus>baldy
BRAIN>sorum

and Tommy runs circles around Duff.

Cant really comment on Stinson's abilities since you can't hear any bass on the demo leaks'
and Brain better than Sorum, so you like drum machines better than actual drums

does axl pay you to kiss his ass or do you do so voluntarily

Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2006, 12:12:21 PM »

? ? ? ? ?

Yes, but:

4tus>baldy
BRAIN>sorum

Cant really comment on Stinson's abilities since you can't hear any bass on the demo leaks'
and Brain better than Sorum, so you like drum machines better than actual drums

does axl pay you to kiss his ass or do you do so voluntarily

i'm not kissing Axls ass and yes i prefer Brain to Matt Sorum. Brain is awesome and i feel he's got steven adlers power and Sorums speed so imo he's the perfect drummer. and as for kissing Axls ass, well, voluntarily because i prefer new guns n' roses anyday to any crap VR put out

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2006, 01:57:49 PM »

? ? ? ? ?

Yes, but:

4tus>baldy
BRAIN>sorum

You missed the point. The guy said Axl was better than Weiland, as if all the all the other guys in both bands didn't matter. Turning a GnR vs VR debate into Axl vs Scott. There are other guys too. You don't compare bands member by member. Its the songs and music that count, not that Axl is better than Scott.

And incidentally, until Tommy writes a songs as goods as It's So Easy and Paradise City, he will never be as good as Duff.

estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2006, 02:29:18 AM »

* 9.? ?Set Me Free better than Catcher In The Rye

* Axl's lyrics = Weiland's lyrics

* Slashs's solos> 10 times better than all 3 newGnr Guitarists combined

* VR Live > Much better than new GnR live(Axl reliant too much on older stuff but VR can put on a good show with mostly new material + VR gauranteed to show up and put on a good show, whearas Axl sometimes cancels, doesn't turn up or turns up late).

wow man, take the sponge out from your ears!

Writing the word ''Axl'' and the word ''Weiland'' in the same line is absolutly heretic. And you dare to say ''Axl's lyrics = Weiland's lyrics''?

''It's a big machine, It's a big machine, we're all slaves to a big machine, All tied up to a big machine, I got houses, Got cars, I got a wife, I got kids, Got money in the bank''---> Weiland

''If I could go back in time to the place in my soul, dare all alone / Lonely teardrops are calling you, but I don't want to know you now / Cause knowing you, it won't change a damn thing / But there was a time...'' ---> Rose

are you sure?

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2006, 03:32:54 AM »

* VR Live > Much better than new GnR live(Axl reliant too much on older stuff but VR can put on a good show with mostly new material + VR gauranteed to show up and put on a good show, whearas Axl sometimes cancels, doesn't turn up or turns up late).

Writing the word ''Axl'' and the word ''Weiland'' in the same line is absolutly heretic. And you dare to say ''Axl's lyrics = Weiland's lyrics''?

''It's a big machine, It's a big machine, we're all slaves to a big machine, All tied up to a big machine, I got houses, Got cars, I got a wife, I got kids, Got money in the bank''---> Weiland

''If I could go back in time to the place in my soul, dare all alone / Lonely teardrops are calling you, but I don't want to know you now / Cause knowing you, it won't change a damn thing / But there was a time...'' ---> Rose

are you sure?
that's rediculous..... What is a great lyric?? Scott weiland has wrote some classic songs with STP... Has had number one albums.. I prefer axl to scott but that doesn't mean ones lyrics are better they are just differetn people

I think big machine lyrics make perfect sense if you listen to the song..

4tus>baldy

I couldn't even tell you if that is true... I mean what is that based on ,the guy plays rythm for a new band outside of that I know neither..

BRAIN>sorum

sorum the one axl felt was the best drummer of that time.. I remember the first time I hear brain do YCBM intro, couldn't even get it right.. Don't say he was new either, sorum was no seasoned vet in gnr with their catalog..  Then again I only know brian from new gnr,, ,and some primus if that was him on the songs I know... He wasn't their only drummer..
Rocksteady
Rocker

Fist in the air in the land of hipocrisy

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2006, 04:01:06 AM »

GN'R  ok Velvet Revolver meh

This   is   Democracy!!!
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2006, 07:58:52 AM »

are you sure?

Yes, I am sure. Your comparison is rediculous, because it compares a chorus to a bridge section. Chorus's are meant to be simple, as any decent songwriter will tell you. A fairer comparison would be that big machine thing to

"It was the wrong time with you, it was the wrong time with me, it'd be a long time for everyone, but it looks like it's meant to be"

or

"Gonna call the president, gonna call a private eye, gonna get the IRS, gonna need the FBI"

See, chorus's are supposed to be simple lyrically and easy to sing along to. If you wrote down the Sweet Child O' Mine or It's So Easy chorus' it would probably look shit, but sung - brilliant! Even the most complex UYI songs has simple chorus's. I personally think Big Machine has a better chorus than There Was A Time- although that's just my opinion. In fact I like Weiland's chorus's better than newGnR's - they're easier to sing along to.

Forgetting chorus's and just talking about verses I like these lyrics from Superhuman as well

Always feel like she's runnin on a hamster wheel
Getting high, crashing cars and makin mistakes
Keepin her face packed with cocaine
Her face is numb your faith is gone
I' m travelin on now
I'm makin plans now
Cocaine
Alcohol
Lady-lay
Withdrawal

or from Dirty Little Thing;

Get away from the life you're living
Get away from the man that's stealing your life
Get away from the drugs you're taking
Get away from the film of sex in your life

These are more AFD-type lyrics than current GnR. I like them coz the're simple but effective. He has some real complex lyrics in other songs as well though. That's not to say I don't like Axl's lyrics as well, I particularly like the lyrics of Better. The annoying thing is they all seem to be about love and heartbreak - I liked IRS till I heard "Ooh, what shall I do, If I gave my heart to you" - sounds kinda cliched. Weiland's lyrics are about loads off different stuff, like AFD. But Axl does come up with some amazing stuff like the line you quoted. I like both Axl and Weiland though and overall I don't think there is much to choose between them at the moment.?

But my favourite album lyrically will always be AFD - simple but effective - "You get nothing for nothing if that's what you do, Turn around bitch i got a use for you, besides you ain't got nothing better to do, and I'm bored" - it's classic. Lyrics don't need to be complex.

By, the way you seemed to disagree with my opinion that VR are better live than newGnR. My opinion is based on what happened during the 2002 tour. I would always prefer to see a band playing new material than a tribute band.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 08:04:13 AM by estrangedpaul » Logged

Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2006, 04:02:34 PM »

Here's how you find out which is better. Play them both. Oh wait! You can't because ONLY ONE OF THOSE ALBUMS IS REAL!!!!! There is no Chinese Democracy, so how can you compare it? That's like comparing Chocolate to Frite-n-gell !!

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: