Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 11:41:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  AXL:KILL THE DRUM SOLOS PLEASE
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: AXL:KILL THE DRUM SOLOS PLEASE  (Read 8332 times)
waxlrose1987
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: March 05, 2006, 04:10:54 PM »

am i the only one who got bored to death whenever AXL would take 25 minutes in the set to let the drummer play a drum solo, then a guitar solo then 30 fuckin minutes later the show resumes...thank god for the fast forward button on my dvd player and stereo so when i watch or listen to bootlegs i can FF that shit..........Heres hoping Axl doesnt go back to that shit this spring...nobody cares about 20 minute drum solos..1 minute is enuff
gnrrock
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 04:15:59 PM »

yes you are the only one...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 04:16:15 PM »

I was never one for any kind of drum solo especially the ever long matt dorum ones.. Personally I love the drums kicking ass in a song but it never did anything for me alone.. I think the drum guitar shit is to give axl a breather or change his clothes
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 04:26:34 PM »

i like drum solos, just not in gnr.
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 04:28:16 PM »

Yeah drumsolos must be forbidden in law

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
ZhouGongjin
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 04:32:09 PM »

Amen. There are only 1 or 2 drummers that I would even care to see play by themselves. Nobody has the talent to truly impress me on drums(by themselves). Guitar, on the other hand, isnt as limited as drums and so Im all for 30 minute Slash guitar solos Cheesy
badobsession81
Rocker

Forgive them that tear down your soul

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 04:42:24 PM »

retards. lol

good drum solos rock. yes im a drummer. BUT they should be limited to a few minutes.

however, noone can claim that john bonhams solos in moby dick were anything short of amazing and they lasted 20mins easily!

i love a good solo from every band member thats short and sweet, but i do prefer them in the context of a song and not on their own - ie like moby dick. i love it when the band all kicks back in to the last chorus or wotever!

also, we need more bass solo!! where are they?!

so i think a 5-10 minute solo bit (featuring each band member and gradually layering it up) in a 2 hour set is good for showing off musicianship and giving the lead singer a break. BUT please make it in the context of a song or something like Godfather!!

Back In Power
fridayfan13
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 04:45:37 PM »

i dont really mind, but i havn't ever been to a gnr show either.
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 04:49:28 PM »

matt sorum`s drum solos really sucked....

i`m fine with guitar solos, but my dream is the entire band jamming for 10 minutes...

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Steel_Angel
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 04:52:26 PM »

drum solos really need to be cut short.. mhmm mhmm
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 05:04:08 PM »

As far as I know, GN'R haven't had a drum solo in their set since 1993....  Huh

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 05:06:56 PM »

I think the only drummer who was able to keep the listener really interested in soloing around was Bohnham.... (personal opinion)

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
Bono
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006, 05:07:11 PM »

am i the only one who got bored to death whenever AXL would take 25 minutes in the set to let the drummer play a drum solo, then a guitar solo then 30 fuckin minutes later the show resumes...thank god for the fast forward button on my dvd player and stereo so when i watch or listen to bootlegs i can FF that shit..........Heres hoping Axl doesnt go back to that shit this spring...nobody cares about 20 minute drum solos..1 minute is enuf

I'm with you. I never liked that kind of stuff. ?yes it's nice that the drummer can play drums and the guitar player can play guitar but I don't need them to prove it with some pointless solo that does absolutely nothing to add to the show. It takes all the momentum out of the show in my opinion.
GunsN'Gravy
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2006, 05:16:55 PM »

I've seen Brain do a couple cool drum solo's on primus videos and stuff, but they weren't 20 minutes long either. And Brain is a great drummer, whereas Sorum is merely adequate.

Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature
estranged.1098
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006, 05:23:32 PM »

As far as I know, GN'R haven't had a drum solo in their set since 1993....  Huh

I think they had one at the HOB 01/01/2001.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2006, 05:36:28 PM »

As far as I know, GN'R haven't had a drum solo in their set since 1993....? Huh

I think they had one at the HOB 01/01/2001.

Yeah, one minute or so..... A bit different from the Matt Sorum solo during the Use Your Illusion tour.  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
McDuff
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2006, 05:49:56 PM »

I could careless about drum solos,there's only 2 drum solos that I ever like when I heard them and that is John Bonhams solo in Moby Dick and Peter Criss of Kiss from the Alive!album,other than that drum solos fuckin' suck peace
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 06:57:45 PM by Slash McKagan » Logged
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2006, 05:52:46 PM »

So you'd rather have 20 minutes of silence? Huh I wouldn't.
Anyways like jarmo said there was no long drum solo on the 02 shows. why the fuss?

I think the only drummer who was able to keep the listener really interested in soloing around was Bohnham.... (personal opinion)

RIP. I guess that was something even Bonzo couldn't  have done really unless the audience were all drummers.
Nowadays if any, it has to be Brain.  ok (another personal opinion)
ElNonoPololo
Headliner

Here Today...I guess

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2006, 06:00:03 PM »

retards. lol

good drum solos rock. yes im a drummer. BUT they should be limited to a few minutes.

however, noone can claim that john bonhams solos in moby dick were anything short of amazing and they lasted 20mins easily!

i love a good solo from every band member thats short and sweet, but i do prefer them in the context of a song and not on their own - ie like moby dick. i love it when the band all kicks back in to the last chorus or wotever!

also, we need more bass solo!! where are they?!

so i think a 5-10 minute solo bit (featuring each band member and gradually layering it up) in a 2 hour set is good for showing off musicianship and giving the lead singer a break. BUT please make it in the context of a song or something like Godfather!!

I have many Zep bootlegs, and the 15/20 up to 30 min drum solos from Moby Dick were excrutiating. Same goes for Toad, the Cream song. Bonham WAS able to keep things interesting, but just not for so fucking long...And the band played the riff of the song like one minute and were off to get a blowjob or play with mudsharks...

Anyway, there?s no way that?s happening again. If Axl needs a break or something, the whole band should play an instrumental song, or at least some bass n drums.

Or a Pittman solo. drool

hihi

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!
VRslash
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2006, 06:06:17 PM »

one thing i love metallica for is the dont put drum solos in the songs. lars just kicks the fuck out of u for 20 mins live. but his solos are not boaring. anyone see the live shit san dego dvd.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: