Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 09:00:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Axl laughs at us all to date!,WTF?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl laughs at us all to date!,WTF?  (Read 47746 times)
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2006, 08:58:43 AM »

Even Axl is referring to the bands as NewGnR and OldGnR interviews. Even when Izzy left people weren't specifying the difference. Therefore Axl has admitted this is a new band. Therefore this is not Guns N' Roses.

Huh? Axls been calling it a new band since RIR3 and everyone else on the planet has been calling it a new band since Oh My God was recorded. What Axl refers to it as doesn't make it "not Guns N' Roses". What it is, what they do and the music they will put out makes it Guns N' Roses.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2006, 09:48:21 AM »

I think huge bands need certain members, that's all I'm saying... One person only didn't make gnr, so it's kind of sad to think one person ows it today and acts like it's still the same by getting that first class treatement...

This isn't 3 door down we're talking about, we're talking about a group, notice I said group.. That started a musical tidlewave from the late 80's and sold so many millions of albums... These men are still spoken of to this day, they weren't fly by nighters .. Slash has been named top guitarist several times, his scom riff has been called number one in many countdowns, gnr have been top ten bands of rock of all time... You can't just substitute the ingredients and call it the same thing...

Every major gnr song scom,. wttj pc, nr, dc, estranged, coma, civil war has some great guitar work, all memorable that wouldn't have been the same without the solos n riffs... it works both ways, they needed eachother...
TheMole
« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2006, 10:06:28 AM »

I think huge bands need certain members, that's all I'm saying... One person only didn't make gnr, so it's kind of sad to think one person ows it today and acts like it's still the same by getting that first class treatement...

This isn't 3 door down we're talking about, we're talking about a group, notice I said group.. That started a musical tidlewave from the late 80's and sold so many millions of albums... These men are still spoken of to this day, they weren't fly by nighters .. Slash has been named top guitarist several times, his scom riff has been called number one in many countdowns, gnr have been top ten bands of rock of all time... You can't just substitute the ingredients and call it the same thing...

Every major gnr song scom,. wttj pc, nr, dc, estranged, coma, civil war has some great guitar work, all memorable that wouldn't have been the same without the solos n riffs... it works both ways, they needed eachother...

It's official, you are now my favourite llama!
McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2006, 10:53:01 AM »

Ok McGann.....so you're telling me this current band we are seeing called Guns N Roses is the same one responsible for hits like Jungle, Paradise, Sweet Child & November Rain?

Of course I am not,
It doesn't, in fact, matter.
Here's an example.

When I was a kid,
I LOVED the "Marathon" bar.
Big caramel braid

Chocolate covered.
Stopped production long ago.
Now, "Marathon"'s back

But it's different.
It's some protein bar thingy
No appeal for me.

I miss "Marathon"
The way I remember it
But that one is gone.

I cannot say that
The new one's not "Marathon"
Legally, it is.

Weird analogy
But it does, in fact, apply.
That's how the law works.

Splash

/Mike

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
Mr.Bootlegs
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2006, 11:12:04 AM »

I speak for everyone here when i say, that's a bit stupid......

Splash?
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2006, 11:13:39 AM »

Everyone keeps forgetting one major thing. None of these guys (except for Steven) were fired by Axl. They all CHOSE to leave one by one because they don't want to be involved in the direction that GNR was/is heading.

It's like the Pink Floyd split. When Roger Waters quit in 1985 he claimed that Pink Floyd was "a spent force creatively". Then in 1987 the band put out another album without him and he was furious. He went about making all sorts of claims about how he WAS Pink Floyd and you couldn't have the band without him. But to the other three guys credit, they kept pointing out that they didn't feel their band should be over just because Roger decided they were over.

I realize the numbers aren't the same, but the principle is. As much as you guys seem to love Slash, Duff & Izzy, those guys all chose not to be a part of Guns N' Roses. What is Axl supposed to do? Just say "Oh well.... I guess if those guys have chosen not to be here then this band is over?" .

From everything they all eluded to on Behind The Music they didn't like the direction that Axl wanted to take the band and that's why they left. We've had a chance to hear some of the direction that Axl was going in and for the most part we all seem to love it. It's for all of these reasons that it's still Guns N' Roses to me. Does that mean it's gonna be GNR to the average Joe? Nope. Never will. But that's not what really matters to Axl in the end. I think what matters to him today is the same thing that mattered in 1986 through today: making the best possible music under the Guns N' Roses banner as possible.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2006, 11:23:38 AM »

realize the numbers aren't the same, but the principle is. As much as you guys seem to love Slash, Duff & Izzy, those guys all chose not to be a part of Guns N' Roses. What is Axl supposed to do? Just say "Oh well.... I guess if those guys have chosen not to be here then this band is over?"

simply put yes, axl is supposed to say ok all the members of the band have quit this means we shelf the name go our seperate ways and use ti again if one day we can meet eye to eye again.. A break up is a break up, wether it's one a guy a year or whatever.. It's like when vince neil left motley crue it wasn't motley crue anymore, when dlr left van halen it wasn't van halen anymore..  Many bands have the decency to call their solo projects seperate names from their super famous bands.. The ones that do keep the name do it only to keep the fans coming.. Axl has to do nothing to promote the band, he could shit on the album and whistle dixie and the loyal gnr fans would buy it, plus the others who are buying gh's.. Point is the other guys made the band something, now it's living off the past..

ac/dc, metallica, motley crue, etc could just say hey we're touring and people would flock to the shows, the fan abses are so huge that the name now exceeds the membership.. Axl knows this so he just keep the name because he doesn't have to promote or do leg work to show off his new band, he can just say hey gnr is coming to town and everyone from 15 to 50 turns their head...

Plus gnr was dead, there was no reason to resurect it, I thought it was a sad thing, they broke up but hey they ruled the world at one time and a reunion was always possible.. When izzy left they had huge obligations to fufill, they had tour dates double platinum albums, money to be made... Here it's a little different...
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2006, 11:32:55 AM »

realize the numbers aren't the same, but the principle is. As much as you guys seem to love Slash, Duff & Izzy, those guys all chose not to be a part of Guns N' Roses. What is Axl supposed to do? Just say "Oh well.... I guess if those guys have chosen not to be here then this band is over?"

simply put yes, axl is supposed to say ok all the members of the band have quit this means we shelf the name go our seperate ways and use ti again if one day we can meet eye to eye again.. A break up is a break up, wether it's one a guy a year or whatever.. It's like when vince neil left motley crue it wasn't motley crue anymore, when dlr left van halen it wasn't van halen anymore..  Many bands have the decency to call their solo projects seperate names from their super famous bands.. The ones that do keep the name do it only to keep the fans coming.. Axl has to do nothing to promote the band, he could shit on the album and whistle dixie and the loyal gnr fans would buy it, plus the others who are buying gh's.. Point is the other guys made the band something, now it's living off the past..

ac/dc, metallica, motley crue, etc could just say hey we're touring and people would flock to the shows, the fan abses are so huge that the name now exceeds the membership.. Axl knows this so he just keep the name because he doesn't have to promote or do leg work to show off his new band, he can just say hey gnr is coming to town and everyone from 15 to 50 turns their head...

Plus gnr was dead, there was no reason to resurect it, I thought it was a sad thing, they broke up but hey they ruled the world at one time and a reunion was always possible.. When izzy left they had huge obligations to fufill, they had tour dates double platinum albums, money to be made... Here it's a little different...

I just don't see it as very different at all. I still don't think that Axl uses the name for the draw power. I very much feel that those guys all just walked away from GNR and he replaced them as they did so. That the major difference I think. Guns N' Roses never "broke up" by definition. Slash left and the others left soon after that. Nothing like this has ever happened in the history of rock besides maybe The Yardbirds or Pink Floyd.

All those other examples (Motley Crue, Van Halen, AC/DC) involve someone who was either fired or died. With the members of GNR, they decided to leave. On their own. Because they didn't like the way the band was going. Just like Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton with the Yardbirds. The only time when they decided to change the name of the Yardbirds was when every component was finally changed not just because Beck then Clapton left.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2006, 01:03:37 PM »

well I wouldn't call it gnr regardles of whoever from the old band owned the name.. That's how I see it.. I go to se axl these days and that's it, and see the familiar name,..
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2006, 03:53:51 PM »

Thats bullshit man and you know it. Why should he stop using the name because the other guys tried to kill it by leaving? Axl wasnt the guy who tried to kill the band, that was slash, duff etc. Not only that but it was GNR BEFORE slash, duff etc were even in the band. So logicaly it would still be GNR after they left.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2006, 04:18:14 PM »

come on the guys who were there for two months hardly count. They both started in 85..

if this is gnr to you then great, i have done nothing but say how good the new guys were live at all the shows.. I just don't think it's gnr with anyone you decide to hire..
eNgIeS
Rocker

OHHHH RIGGGHHHTT

« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2006, 01:25:39 AM »

Thats bullshit man and you know it. Why should he stop using the name because the other guys tried to kill it by leaving? Axl wasnt the guy who tried to kill the band, that was slash, duff etc. Not only that but it was GNR BEFORE slash, duff etc were even in the band. So logicaly it would still be GNR after they left.

Umm wrong actually Guns N Roses didnt exist until Axl Izzy Duff Tracii Guns (thus the name) & some drummer joined. Traci left so Steve & Slash joined & HELPED MKAE GNR WHAT IT WAS!

Slash & Duff didnt try to kill it, Axl wanted to be the one in control & it turned into a dictator ship that it is now (by that im not saying Axl was an asshole to band mates, but more or less he has the final say on the bands creativity
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #112 on: May 25, 2006, 07:23:22 AM »

Umm wrong actually Guns N Roses didnt exist until Axl Izzy Duff Tracii Guns (thus the name) & some drummer joined. Traci left so Steve & Slash joined & HELPED MKAE GNR WHAT IT WAS!

Slash & Duff didnt try to kill it, Axl wanted to be the one in control & it turned into a dictator ship that it is now (by that im not saying Axl was an asshole to band mates, but more or less he has the final say on the bands creativity

And we can tell by Contraband, Loaded and the Snakepit records that this is a good thing.

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2006, 08:38:22 AM »

You really dont know your gnr history very well do you? Axl, Izzy, Tracii Guns, Ole Beich and Rob Gardner, that is the original guns lineup.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2006, 10:04:05 AM »

simply put yes, axl is supposed to say ok all the members of the band have quit this means we shelf the name go our seperate ways and use ti again if one day we can meet eye to eye again.. A break up is a break up, wether it's one a guy a year or whatever.. It's like when vince neil left motley crue it wasn't motley crue anymore, when dlr left van halen it wasn't van halen anymore..? Many bands have the decency to call their solo projects seperate names from their super famous bands.. The ones that do keep the name do it only to keep the fans coming.. Axl has to do nothing to promote the band, he could shit on the album and whistle dixie and the loyal gnr fans would buy it, plus the others who are buying gh's.. Point is the other guys made the band something, now it's living off the past..

You really dont know your gnr history very well do you? Axl, Izzy, Tracii Guns, Ole Beich and Rob Gardner, that is the original guns lineup.

and who knows any of those people that are into gnr music? Not talking about die hards that know this history..

You're getting rediculous now, these people had zero to do with success of the band...

Even btm skipped them hihi

We're talking a few months here, a few strip shows... if that's what you call gnr then congrats,..
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2006, 10:17:29 AM »

that's why New GnR, NuGnR or whatever fits....the current incarnation of GnR

Orig guns is dead and gone Cry interestingly though, i even consider the UYI guns to be orig guns. well minus Dizzy...always considered him a live musician...an addition if you will, IMO Dizzy is on par with Teddy Zig Zag, Traci, Roberta and the 976 horns

the younger crowd considers this current version to be GnR cuz that's all they've known...simple as, and it don't matter what they are told or what our PoV is...they still see Axl, Robin, Bumble, Richard, Tommy, Dizzy, Chris & Brain as GnR.

russtcb
Legend

« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2006, 10:25:17 AM »

Orig guns is dead and gone Cry interestingly though, i even consider the UYI guns to be orig guns. well minus Dizzy...always considered him a live musician...an addition if you will, IMO Dizzy is on par with Teddy Zig Zag, Traci, Roberta and the 976 horns

the younger crowd considers this current version to be GnR cuz that's all they've known...simple as, and it don't matter what they are told or what our PoV is...they still see Axl, Robin, Bumble, Richard, Tommy, Dizzy, Chris & Brain as GnR.

I've been into GNR since I bought Appetite at a Pace Warehouse with my older sister in 1987 and I still consider the current line up to be Guns N' Roses. Just for the record.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #117 on: May 25, 2006, 10:36:53 AM »

I've been into GNR since I bought Appetite at a Pace Warehouse with my older sister in 1987 and I still consider the current line up to be Guns N' Roses. Just for the record.

but the amount of people that bought afd first hand that considers these guys gnr to those who don't is so one sided... it's like mini me fighting mike tyson in his prime..
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2006, 10:42:04 AM »

but the amount of people that bought afd first hand that considers these guys gnr to those who don't is so one sided... it's like mini me fighting mike tyson in his prime..

haha good point mike hihi

yeah the odd person will feel the way you do russtcb, but deep down in your heart....who would you rather see at a gnr concert? if you say the orig lineup then you are just as bias as we are Tongue if it don't matter to you, then both versions are gnr peace

when i saw GnR in 2002 i only went to see Axl....now if they swing my way I'll go to see Axl again...but I'm psyched to see Bumblefoot too ok and Robin i guess, but i just want him to impress me cuz i got a really bad impression of him in 2002

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2006, 10:47:40 AM »

and who knows any of those people that are into gnr music? Not talking about die hards that know this history..

You're getting rediculous now, these people had zero to do with success of the band...

Even btm skipped them hihi

We're talking a few months here, a few strip shows... if that's what you call gnr then congrats,..

Thats not what I meant. Even though Tracii Guns helped to write alot of the stuff on Appetite before slash was even in the band and never got credit for it because he signed his rights away. But I guess you rabid slash fans didnt knwo about that because slash "wrote all his own guitar parts!"  ok
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: