Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 07:27:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227995 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Philosophical question of the month-June
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Philosophical question of the month-June  (Read 15909 times)
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2006, 02:55:54 AM »

What's driving your life forward if you don't have the meaning to it?

Whatever it is, offspring, career anything.

You don't really need something to drive your life forward. Everyday can be without meaning or hope. It becomes a choice. It?s either living, or committing suicide. If you don?t commit suicide, life is the only other choice, by default.

True, but I think there's something driving you forward anyway, whatever it is a hope or better tomorrow, or just getting laid the next time. Or getting a plate of hot soup. As opposite the lack of these will propably lead to suicide, for as I see that's what some people do when they feel everything is hopeless, or have you heard a happy person killing him or herself?

And this pretty much get's me to conclusion that your life happiness is caused by some goal of your life.

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
RichardNixon
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2006, 03:01:20 AM »

I don?t think achieving the goal causes happiness?It?s the hunt, the craving, the going after the goal. Once you have achieved what you wanted, it is less desirable and life has lost its luster. 
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2006, 03:11:48 AM »

I don?t think achieving the goal causes happiness?It?s the hunt, the craving, the going after the goal. Once you have achieved what you wanted, it is less desirable and life has lost its luster. 

Wasn't that what I was saying?

But I think think achieving the goal also gives satisfaction, or do you think a team winning the worl championship don't feel good about it afterwards?

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
RichardNixon
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2006, 03:30:52 AM »

Briefly. But the thought of dying alone and spending the rest of eternity in a state of nothingness is always on the back of my mind. 
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2006, 09:07:20 AM »

the thought of dying alone and spending the rest of eternity in a state of nothingness is always on the back of my mind.?

Perfect, there's your meaning of life for you - avoiding that.  Good luck!
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2006, 09:36:15 AM »

A follow-up, related question:

Does life need to have meaning for it to be worth living?

Indeed it does otherwise we wouldnt't have any rubbish and we would be just exactly like any other animals in the woods. Anyway,

I really doubt human creation was a coincidence because how could so many atoms combine together to make a molecule so complex that it could take a million maybe more pages to record all that information within the DNA molecule and those pages encyclopaedia style. All that million pages of information isn't even visible, we have to use powerful microscopes. When DNA is copied, there is also a gene which creates Enzymes to help DNA replication and there are other protein molecules to fix the cell if any of the replication goes wrong.

Surely someone too intelligent for us must have created us. Surely it can't be mere coincidence. Surely what other possible reason could there be? Evolution is a pathetic baseless theory that has wasted maybe 150 years or so of Scientific history. There can indeed be effect without cause as shown by an experiment you maybe interested in but i want to stay on topic.

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2006, 10:20:57 AM »

you're only argument is "surely it can't be coincidence".

That is not a logical argument. It is a hope.
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2006, 05:05:36 PM »

you're only argument is "surely it can't be coincidence".

That is not a logical argument. It is a hope.

I disagree. How can it be with the evidence i've given. It's logical that it must have been purposefully created.

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
2NaFish
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2006, 05:30:06 PM »

your argument is not logical as it passes off hope as fact.

i never said the conclusion you reach is illogical, just the reasoning behind it. it is plausable that the world was purposefully created.

but your argument against evolution is that reality is too complex to have merely happened; which is no argument at all. just a whismisical hope. a thousand monkeys working at a thousand typewriters will produce shakespeare given eternity.
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2006, 02:01:00 PM »

your argument is not logical as it passes off hope as fact.

i never said the conclusion you reach is illogical, just the reasoning behind it. it is plausable that the world was purposefully created.

but your argument against evolution is that reality is too complex to have merely happened; which is no argument at all. just a whismisical hope. a thousand monkeys working at a thousand typewriters will produce shakespeare given eternity.

Given eternity? That's what gets me. Couldn't it be that got just decided to create animals based on a similar structure since there's no real evidence for evolution. The so called "Ancestor of Birds" was actually a bird. No evolution there. and a fossil like 70 million+ years old was found to be exactly like common birds today. Evolutionists were shocked.

Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2006, 02:02:22 PM »

o yeh and justs for the record, the so called ancestor of birds which actually was a bird is called the Archaeoptryx or summat like that

2NaFish
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2006, 03:09:15 AM »

no real evidence for evolution? well thats patently a lie.

yet the evidence for god is overwhelming i suppose.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2006, 03:26:18 AM »

A few months back scientists discovered what they considered the missing link in regards to evolution.
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2006, 07:39:20 AM »

Did you know that we thought we had our first " man" and last year, a team discovered another " man" who lived at the same era but who's physically more advanced, like this"other" man had physically fast forwarded 5.000 years ?

Also, they tested genes to know more about the new one and compared it the other and they found out the two manly species were totally imcompatible and yet lived at the same time.

So there was a genetically advanced specy along with a more" monkey like" one.

Interesting, " innit" ?

Nothing to say
RichardNixon
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2006, 07:52:20 AM »

A few months back scientists discovered what they considered the missing link in regards to evolution.

PLEASE don?t tell me that there are some people on this board that doubt the theory of evolution. You can believe in God and evolution as well, you know. You don?t have to pick one or the other.
EFISH
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2006, 02:22:38 PM »

Now, keep in my mind that this is coming from a 15 year old...

the meaning of life.
there is no meaning of life.
i am unsure what you mean by "meaning."
do you mean purpose?

the meaning of "guitar" for example, is an instrument, with six strings, etc.

but the meaning of "life" i am not so sure.

i think there are a few things that are certain, regarding life.

for one, life is precious. this thing we've got, conscious life, is rare and precious.

another thing is that all life, for plants to humans, dogs and cats, insects and reptiles, all life experiences suffering and non-suffering. life is surrounded by suffering. people find it everywhere. but, in real reality, suffering is caused by dillusions.

and since life is precious and filled with suffering, i believe that the purpose of life is to have compassion for all living things, and put effort into ending suffering and its causes, for the benifit of all living things.
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2006, 02:48:26 PM »

PLEASE don?t tell me that there are some people on this board that doubt the theory of evolution. You can believe in God and evolution as well, you know. You don?t have to pick one or the other.

The problem is the theory of evolution is rubbish, the evidence actually suggests against it. Secondly the theory is not anything new but is actually an ancinet greek-paganism ideology of some sort.

EFISH
« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2006, 12:03:26 AM »

lets bring this topic back up Cool

c'mon ya'll.. what do u guys think? do u agree with my above post?
RichardNixon
« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2006, 01:19:21 AM »

The problem is the theory of evolution is rubbish, the evidence actually suggests against it. Secondly the theory is not anything new but is actually an ancinet greek-paganism ideology of some sort.

The theory of evolution is rubbish? It?s actually not so much a theory as it is a scientifically accepted fact by all scientists.     
SLCPUNK
« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2006, 02:33:50 AM »

Produce a link or something.............please.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: