Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 02:54:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Geno's Steaks insists customers order in English
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Geno's Steaks insists customers order in English  (Read 20163 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 09:22:03 AM »

No, we're not morons, we're just americans that want our country back. The two of us have discussed something similar to this at your forum. People in my state are sick of having to see everything in spanish. Hell, here in my area, most of the billboards are in spanish. Everywhere you go its spanish shoved down your throat. SLC, have you ever been to the amusement park Paramount's Great America? Its in Santa Clara, and is basically identical to a six flags theme park. For years, thay have had concerts for people to watch. Bands ranging from Kool and the Gang, Warrant, Slaughter, Pat Benatar, and a bunch of bands I cant remember over the years. Now, its 100% hispanic bands. No american performers whatsoever. Also, they cater to spanish people by serving so much mexican food. Is that the kind of america you want to live in? If it is, we all should just move to mexico.

I'm not gonna get into the middle of the "should he/shouldn't he" Geno's debate.

But, in reading the above passage, I gotta say....I don't see the issue.

See, Paramount is a business. ?I assume they do quite a bit of demographic research (as most theme parks do) with exit surveys, etc. ?And they've found that a good portion of their attendance are of Hispanic decent (or enough of their attendance to make them a demo group they feel they need to address). ?So they're catering to their customers by giving them offerings they will want to consume.

It's the American Way working exactly as intended. ?Supply and Demand.

So what's the problem?

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
SLCPUNK
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 11:33:10 AM »

By Dan Whitcomb Fri May 19, 3:31 PM ET

HOUSTON (Reuters) -
President George W. Bush has long opposed making English the country's national language, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said on Friday, the day after the Senate voted to do so.

The vote came in an amendment to proposed legislation overhauling U.S. immigration law and directed the government to "preserve and enhance" the role of English. Opponents said it could affect the status of some multilingual services offered by government organizations.

Adding to the confusion, the Senate also adopted a softer amendment calling English the "unifying language" of the United States. Senators take both versions into negotiations over a final bill with the U.S. House of Representatives.

Gonzales did not directly address Bush's position on the controversial amendment because the Senate has not yet voted on the whole bill. But he said that Bush has in the past rejected such efforts.

"The president has never supported making English the national language," Gonzales said after meeting with state and local officials in Texas to discuss cooperation on enforcement of immigration laws.

He said Bush has instead long supported a concept called "English-Plus," believing that it was good to be proficient in more than one language.

"English represents freedom in our country and anybody who wants to be successful in our country has a much better chance of doing so if they speak English," Gonzales said. "It is of course a common language."

But, Gonzales said, "I don't see the need to have laws or legislation that says English is the national language."

While visiting Arizona on Thursday to press his plan to send up to 6,000 National Guard troops to the Mexican border spoke of the need to unite Americans.

"We've got to honor the great American tradition of the melting pot," Bush said. "Americans are bound together by shared ideals and appreciation of our history, of respect for our flag and ability to speak the English language."

Intervening in a recent furor over a Spanish-language version of the national anthem released by Latin pop stars, Bush said that the "Star-Spangled Banner" should be sung in English.

The United States currently has no official language and the amendment was showing signs of further inflaming an already incendiary issue, with Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid of Nevada calling it "racist."
SLCPUNK
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2006, 11:35:59 AM »

Regarding Geno's cheesesteaks, their food isn't nearly as good as Pat's cheesesteaks right across the street IMO. 

hihi

I'd bet we could track this back to the manager's office inside of Pat's..........

Just a hunch.

No chief, the Pat's & Geno's debate as to who is better has been going on for decades. And Pat's has been there since the 1930's, and most peope do think Pat's is better.

Roll Eyes

Humor:

hu?mor Pronunciation (hymr)
n.
1. The quality that makes something laughable or amusing; funniness: could not see the humor of the situation.
2. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
kockstar999
Banned
Rocker

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr Kevin Federline!!

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2006, 12:07:23 PM »

I don't think what that guy is doing is the right way to go about it.
But how does it start then? Someone has to be the first to stand up and fight. Maybe this guy is the next Rosa Parks. rofl

Oh jeez man........

Go to any major city in the USA and they speak different languages all over the place. This is nothing new.
As I've said before, come take a trip out here to California and see if you're so sympathetic on the issue. Its an epidemic here. Believe me, your eyes will open to whats happening. The west coast is turning into a colony of mexico, and apparently no one gives a damn.

the mexicans have some kind of underground movement going right now that they are going to take back california.. if not legally they will overrun it with sheer numbers so that its basicly still mexico .. they have a term for it and damn near all of them know about it too...
SLCPUNK
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2006, 12:14:59 PM »

the mexicans have some kind of underground movement going right now

Yes, it is quite outrageous.

I've uncovered it and it is rather elaborate.

Operation name: Labor.

They come here under the guise of a poor immigrant trying to feed their family. They bust their ass laying tile, cutting grass, installing roofs in the 110 degree heat, picking up trash, cooking food and other jobs nobody wants to do. They'll do this for years, before unraveling their master plan.

Eventually when enough here, they will overthrow the government, put up the Mexican flag and have Jon Secada sing the National Anthem in Spanish (oh wait.......he already did that for Bush. Disregard)

kockstar999
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2006, 12:16:36 PM »

the mexicans have some kind of underground movement going right now

Yes, it is quite outrageous.

I've uncovered it and it is rather elaborate.

Operation name: Labor.

They come here under the guise of a poor immigrant trying to feed their family. They bust their ass laying tile, cutting grass, installing roofs in the 110 degree heat, picking up trash, cooking food and other jobs nobody wants to do. They'll do this for years, before unraveling their master plan.

Eventually when enough here, they will overthrow the government, put up the Mexican flag and have Jon Secada sing the National Anthem in Spanish (oh wait.......he already did that for Bush. Disregard)

no its some kind of underground assimilation plan they have... The radicals... im sure if you google it you can find the word for it... I know you were being sarcastic about it but there is some kind of radical assimilation plan they have a term for now. Since they claim california belonged to mexico before we "took" it..  some spansish word for "no borders" or something..
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 12:18:18 PM by kockstar999 » Logged
kockstar999
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2006, 12:20:36 PM »

Some Mexicans use the term "reconquista," which is Spanish for reconquest, to describe their desire to see California, New Mexico, Arizona and Texas acquired by Mexico and named the new country of Aztlan. They are teaching their youth that the United States "stole" those areas from Mexico and that they should be "returned."

The United States acquired the Southwest a century and a half ago in three ways: part by the 1845 annexation agreement with Texas, which was then an independent republic, part ceded by Mexico in the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo after the Mexican-American War, and part by the 1852 Gadsden Purchase.

Mexico's claim to the Southwest originated with the 1494 Treaty of Tordesillas, which drew an imaginary line on the map to divide the Western Hemisphere between Spain and Portugal. Because geography had so many unknowns at that time, Portugal got only Brazil (which is why Brazilians speak Portuguese).

Other countries never recognized this treaty, and Americans consider it ridiculous even to talk about giving the Southwest to Mexico. Most national borders all over the world have come about as the result of war.

Mexicans obviously have no thought of invading the Southwest with troops, so their hope is reconquista by migration, both legal and illegal. According to Mario Obledo, founder of the Mexican American Legal Defense & Education Fund, "California is going to be a Hispanic state and anyone who doesn't like it should leave."

Vicente Fox presented Mexico's Congress with a five-year development plan to eliminate the U.S.-Mexican border. He said he plans to serve "the 100 million Mexicans who now live in Mexico and the more than 18 million who live abroad," and to "strengthen our ability to protect and defend the rights of all Mexicans abroad."

Juan Hernandez, appointed by Fox as special liaison to Mexicans abroad, lobbies to get U.S. driver's licenses issued to illegal aliens and defends the Mexican government's issuance of desert survival kits to those sneaking across the border. On ABC's Nightline on June 7, he boasted: "We are betting that the Mexican-American population in the United States ... will think Mexico first."

Fox's five-year plan calls for building a larger consular presence in the United States, and this is already in operation. In U.S. areas with large Hispanic (including illegal) populations, the Mexican consul donates to the local public schools the same textbooks that are used in every elementary school in Mexico, grades 1 through 6.

The books, written in Spanish and including all academic subjects, teach that America "stole" the southwest from Mexico and that Mexico is entitled to take it back. The Mexican government considers these textbooks a symbol of Mexican national pride, guarantees a set to every Mexican child, and makes it a crime for anyone to sell them.

The only reason we learned about this Mexican plan is that one school in Santa Ana, California, decided to sell the books at a book fair and the local Hispanics kicked up a fuss about it. The school apologized to the Hispanics for selling the books, but should have apologized to the students for accepting the books in the first place.

The question we should ask our Mexican immigrant friends is, are you assimilating or invading?

« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 12:24:34 PM by kockstar999 » Logged
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2006, 12:32:53 PM »

Regarding Geno's cheesesteaks, their food isn't nearly as good as Pat's cheesesteaks right across the street IMO.?

hihi

I'd bet we could track this back to the manager's office inside of Pat's..........

Just a hunch.

No chief, the Pat's & Geno's debate as to who is better has been going on for decades. And Pat's has been there since the 1930's, and most peope do think Pat's is better.

Roll Eyes

Humor:

hu?mor Pronunciation (hymr)
n.
1. The quality that makes something laughable or amusing; funniness: could not see the humor of the situation.
2. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.

skilled? ? ( P )? Pronunciation Key? (skld) adj.

1.? Having or showing skill; expert. See Synonyms at proficient.
2.? Requiring specialized ability or training: a skilled trade.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2006, 12:52:10 PM »

Lighten up, I was just making a joke.

Jeesh.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2006, 12:58:13 PM »

Jeesh.

Ya gotta admit, though, SLC.....

It was a pretty funny burn.

Together again,
SLCPUNK
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2006, 01:07:41 PM »

Jeesh.

Ya gotta admit, though, SLC.....

It was a pretty funny burn.

Yea it was.

But I wasn't giving the guy shit, only joking.

So.........
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2006, 02:11:20 PM »

Thanks Pilferk.. My one good post on this site. I should leave now "Thank you, try the fish"

I was only joking as well with the comeback. As for the initial post about Pat's, I was only trying to shed some lite on the other guys post that there is an actual debate about Pat's/Geno's. It'd be like a foreigner from Europe not knowing about the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry, or how everyone hates the Cowboys, or how an American doesn't know Manchester United doesn't like.... eh... er... ahh screw it, I'm American, I don't know anything about soccer.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2006, 02:14:19 PM »

Thanks Pilferk.. My one good post on this site. I should leave now "Thank you, try the fish"

I was only joking as well with the comeback. As for the initial post about Pat's, I was only trying to shed some lite on the other guys post that there is an actual debate about Pat's/Geno's. It'd be like a foreigner from Europe not knowing about the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry, or how everyone hates the Cowboys, or how an American doesn't know Manchester United doesn't like.... eh... er... ahh screw it, I'm American, I don't know anything about soccer.

The soccer quote alone in the above post qualifies it as your second good post (assuming, of course, as you say above you only have one good one on the site).

rofl

Edit: Oh, and on a somewhat different note, I have a friend, Mark, who every month or so hops a commuter jet to Philly in the morning, loads up on Pats cheesesteaks, and comes back that afternoon.? I've been told the smell on the plane has, on more than one occasion, almost caused those sandwiches to be "appropriated" by the flight crew (and, I'm sure, a few passengers).

I'll never forget he was going to make the trip before one of the Yankees/Mets World Series games, and he was carting back sandwhiches for a party at my place to watch the game.? He had called around to all the guys coming to get their "preferences".? One of the guys asked him if it wouldn't be too much trouble to walk across the street and get him a Gino's cheesesteak.? Mark hung up on him, refused to return the guys repeated calls back, and ended up getting the guy nothing at all.? You shoulda seen the look the guy gave Mark at the party.....and Mark calmly explained to the guy exactly what "the big deal" was.? It almost came to blows by the 3rd inning.

So, yeah....I can see the whole Pats vs Geno's thing.

That being said, I've had both...I prefer Pats, too, but like 'em both.? Sacrelidge, I know.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 02:21:48 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2006, 03:26:00 PM »

my buddy used to live a block away from pat's and geno's. there was a summer where i averaged about 7-8 cheesesteaks a week. we'd end every night out with 2 cheesesteaks, one from each.

personally, i don't think there's much of a difference between the two.

but for the record, there are a few better cheesesteaks to be had in philly, especially these two:

1. Steve's
2. Tony Luke's

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2006, 04:00:50 PM »

what happens if someone is actually a foreigner who doesnt speak english?
sandman
Legend

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2006, 04:18:39 PM »

what happens if someone is actually a foreigner who doesnt speak english?

i guess they go to pat's.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2006, 04:43:57 PM »

I guess he is serving freedumb fries on the menu too?

LOL, I'd love to see him try that in Miami. He'd be closed down in a couple of weeks.

This is about as narrow minded as you can get. It is no wonder the rest of the world think we are a bunch of fucking morons..........we are!

I think he's fully entitled to expect people to speak to him in English - in an English speaking contry

I'm sick to death of dealing with people everyday who speak a handful of English words,

If i lived in a non english speaking country i'd learn the language, and have learning the language as my primary concern upon intial arrival - for that matter i'd also respect the customs and traditions of the new country....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2006, 05:31:06 PM »

I'm not gonna get into the middle of the "should he/shouldn't he" Geno's debate.

See, Paramount is a business. ?I assume they do quite a bit of demographic research (as most theme parks do) with exit surveys, etc. ?And they've found that a good portion of their attendance are of Hispanic decent (or enough of their attendance to make them a demo group they feel they need to address). ?So they're catering to their customers by giving them offerings they will want to consume.

So what's the problem?
What's the problem?? Did you fully read the post? I understand your "supply and demand" argument, but this goes way beyond that. Have you been to California lately? I hope you are going to the GNR show in September. I'll show you how California is now becoming Mexico. If you haven't been to Cali in awhile, you will be shocked.

kockstar999
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2006, 06:02:38 PM »

So what's the problem?
What's the problem?? Did you fully read the post? I understand your "supply and demand" argument, but this goes way beyond that. Have you been to California lately? I hope you are going to the GNR show in September. I'll show you how California is now becoming Mexico. If you haven't been to Cali in awhile, you will be shocked.

did  u read the article that i posted above? your very right.
Vicious Wishes
VIP

Madam in Eden im Adam

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2006, 07:08:32 PM »

The nerve of the guy! Imagine him actually asking to be spoken to in English, in America. Roll Eyes

We're not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we're spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: