Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 11:22:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227995 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  UK Terror Plot Thwarted, Terror Threat Raised to Critical
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UK Terror Plot Thwarted, Terror Threat Raised to Critical  (Read 17702 times)
Evolution
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2006, 09:18:16 AM »

The scenes on Sky News, particular at check-in inside Heathrow Airport are crazy.
blaqktiger
Guitars Suck
Rocker

The only man to pull off a Red Suit - BfoOt

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006, 09:42:04 AM »

They won't let her fly back so she has to get a 5 hour train journey and then go back to the airport for the car.

07-06-2006 -- Hammersmith Apollo.
11-06-2006 -- Donington Park.
30-07-2006 -- Wembley Arena.

www.robinfinck.com
anythinggoes
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 10:13:30 AM »

Severe carry-on limits lead to chaos?
By James Kanter International Herald Tribune

Published: August 10, 2006

PARIS Strict new rules banning laptops, cameras, cellphones, and nearly all liquids from hand luggage created chaos in British airports on Thursday as travelers struggled with the most immediate consequence of a plot to blow up planes flying from Britain to the United States.

British officials warned that the new rules would cause "immediate and severe disruption for travelers." This was quickly borne out as mothers were required to sip their babies' milk to get bottles on board flights, and clear plastic bags were handed out to carry passports and the few other items allowed on board.

In Britain, the authorities banned laptop computers, mobile phones, iPod music players, and other electronic devices from being carried on board; passengers were obliged to empty their remaining carry-on items into the plastic bags.

Eyeglasses were allowed into the bags but not their cases; contact lens solution also was banned. Prescription medicines in liquid form were allowed under certain conditions.

In the United States, Michael Chertoff, the Homeland Security secretary, said, "Due to the nature of the threat revealed by this investigation, we are prohibiting any liquids, including beverages, hair gels and lotions, from being carried on the airplane."

There were chaotic scenes at Heathrow, Britain's main international airport, as travelers sought to cope with restrictions that appeared to be more extreme than any imposed after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks on the United States by hijackers.

It was uncertain how long the new rules would remain in effect, and also whether they would affect all international flights or only those entering or leaving Britain and the United States.

The measures "will mean major disruption at all U.K. airports from today," warned John Reid, British home secretary.

"This heightened level of security will last only as long as the situation demands," said Douglas Alexander, the British transportation secretary, adding that the government would "keep this under review."

Antony Concil, the director of communications at the International Air Transport Association, or IATA, declined to comment on how long he thought the new bans would stay in force. But he emphasized the costs to the airline industry - and to passengers - of additional security rules in the wake of the terror attacks on New York and Washington five years ago.

Concil said that since the Sept. 11 attacks, additional costs borne by the industry averaged about $5 billion a year and that those costs needed to be recouped from customers.

"'At this point all I can really say is that security is a top priority of the airlines and that passengers need to check airlines' Web sites before they go to the airports for latest information, to check what's allowed on the aircraft, and to find out about cancellations or delays," Concil said.

In its advice released early Thursday concerning all flights leaving from London and Manchester, Singapore Airlines warned that all passengers would be hand-searched and that all footwear would be screened by X-ray. Singapore Airlines also issued details about permitted items that mirrored advice from the British Home Office.

Nothing would be allowed in passengers' pockets, and all handbags and electronic items were prohibited, including electronic key rings.

The airline warned that only airport-provided pushchairs would be allowed beyond screening points.

Prescription medicines in liquid form would need to be verified as genuine before being admitted, and spectacles and sunglasses would have to be carried without their cases. Passengers could carry their contact lenses, but not bottles of solutions for the lenses. Women's sanitary items could be taken on- board but only if they were unboxed and "sufficient and essential for the flight."

Passengers sought help over the Internet in understanding the restrictions. But shortly before midday Thursday, the Web site for the British Airports Authority was out of service due to the high level of hits.

The rules looked likely to have their strongest effect on business travelers, who have grown used to taking day flights to meetings with hand luggage only and who rely on laptop computers and other devices to work while flying en route to meetings.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 10:30:57 AM by anythinggoes » Logged
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006, 10:51:00 AM »

They won't let her fly back so she has to get a 5 hour train journey and then go back to the airport for the car.

good to hear she's ok, mate.   hope she gets back to you asap.

extra security checks are welcome - i've always thought the UK was quite slack in comparison to other countries. although am not sure if paperback books pose a security threat....

blaqktiger
Guitars Suck
Rocker

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 11:07:18 AM »

Thanks... I'll let you know when she is home... very scary day.

www.robinfinck.com
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2006, 12:54:33 PM »

mass panic. terrorist threat critical.

i smell new laws put in place to protect our freedom.
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2006, 04:50:27 PM »

Its spread like wildfire over here - hand luggage on all outbound flights has been banned - not even a wallet is allowed with you

You've gone a bit overboard by the wallet statement, haven't you?

The time has already come and gone and still present for these new stricter laws. But there are too many people in America that don't want to hurt someone's feelings. And people complain about wire tapping and other methods used by intelligence agencies to try to stop terroism.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2006, 05:10:06 PM »

Its spread like wildfire over here - hand luggage on all outbound flights has been banned - not even a wallet is allowed with you

You've gone a bit overboard by the wallet statement, haven't you?

The time has already come and gone and still present for these new stricter laws. But there are too many people in America that don't want to hurt someone's feelings. And people complain about wire tapping and other methods used by intelligence agencies to try to stop terroism.

I don't think the complaint is about wire tapping...rahter ILLEGAL wire tapping.  This is still America, just b/c you're president doesn't mean you can make up your own laws:

Anyways, and much more importantly, thank god they caught this.  Sounds like a cooperative effort between US/Pakistani/British intelligence.  From what I just read they were DAYS away from the attack.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
SLCPUNK
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2006, 08:33:01 PM »

I'm glad the British scooped these guys up, this is great news. They seem much more dangerous then the "terrorist" dipshits we picked up here a bit ago (the guys with no car, explosives, or means necessary to do much of anything.)

And people complain about wire tapping and other methods used by intelligence agencies to try to stop terroism.

This has been discussed before. W ordered wire tapping before 9-11. He then used 9-11 as an excuse to do so and justify his disregard for the laws of this nation.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 08:34:42 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
BigCombo
Rocker

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2006, 11:44:59 PM »

How long is the "no liquids" rule gonna apply.  It's definitely approaching a slippery slope with regards to limits on what one can carry.  The next restricted items I'm predicing are electronic devices.  No watches, laptops, cell phones, ect.  They can be used to detonate a device.  Let's ban them too.

I think I'm just bitter because I'm flying internationally Thursday and I won't be able to buy a bottle of jack to take with me.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2006, 01:05:14 AM »

How long is the "no liquids" rule gonna apply.  It's definitely approaching a slippery slope with regards to limits on what one can carry.  The next restricted items I'm predicing are electronic devices.  No watches, laptops, cell phones, ect.  They

If teams of guys can board planes with benign liquids and then assemble them into bombs, I don't see how that threat could go away.
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2006, 02:00:45 AM »

Give it a couple years, we'll all have to fly naked with no carry on baggage.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2006, 02:10:05 AM »

i read on myspace.com that fernando said they were going to NY. for a few days then going home.i wonder if that stopped the plans going back to the states for axl an co.i assume axl stayed back in london for a bit after the tour.hope everything works out them coming home to the states.

the one an only horsey !
SLCPUNK
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2006, 02:38:30 AM »

I've been asking Delta for this for years now.................
Brody
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2006, 03:23:56 AM »

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/rudmin1.html

No matter how sophisticated and super-duper are NSA's methods for identifying terrorists, no matter how big and fast are NSA's computers, NSA's accuracy rate will never be 100% and their misidentification rate will never be 0%. That fact, plus the extremely low base-rate for terrorists, means it is logically impossible for mass surveillance to be an effective way to find terrorists.

I will not put Bayes' computational formula here. It is available in all elementary statistics books and is on the web should any readers be interested. But I will compute some conditional probabilities that people are terrorists given that NSA's system of mass surveillance identifies them to be terrorists.

interesting read.
PEACE

Reminds me of a topic that Wathefuck ever started! Damn that NSA we need to get rid of them haha What a waste of time..
anythinggoes
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2006, 05:23:16 AM »

No matter how sophisticated and super-duper are NSA's methods for identifying terrorists, no matter how big and fast are NSA's computers, NSA's accuracy rate will never be 100% and their misidentification rate will never be 0%. That fact, plus the extremely low base-rate for terrorists, means it is logically impossible for mass surveillance to be an effective way to find terrorists.

I will not put Bayes' computational formula here. It is available in all elementary statistics books and is on the web should any readers be interested. But I will compute some conditional probabilities that people are terrorists given that NSA's system of mass surveillance identifies them to be terrorists.

interesting read.
PEACE

Reminds me of a topic that Wathefuck ever started! Damn that NSA we need to get rid of them haha What a waste of time..

the thing is you could get rid of all the terrorists in the world but not the stupid pilots

blaqktiger
Guitars Suck
Rocker

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2006, 05:26:19 AM »

Even if that was the case they'd find ways to smuggle bombs and detonators(sp?) on.

www.robinfinck.com
anythinggoes
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2006, 05:37:08 AM »

Even if that was the case they'd find ways to smuggle bombs and detonators(sp?) on.

easier to spot them though they would be the ones sitting down slowly or they would have wires pokin out of holes Lips Sealed Shocked
Shirell
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2006, 05:50:39 AM »

Scary shit.  Neighbours went on hols yesterday, they phoned me and let me know they were okay this morning.  Jackie (my neighbour) had to taste her baby's milk to prove that's what it was but hey, I'd rather go through that than be blown up.  Nice to know the security in this country is doing it's job, comforting.  I feel sorry for some of my muslim mates though, they are already feeling the tension and suspicion which is crazy cause not all muslims are in favour of this kind of action.  You cant tar everyone with the same brush but it does make you think there needs to be more regulation over whose allowed to come into Britain and who isnt especially if they are coming to live here.  I go on hols in October hopefully it will have quietened down by then.
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2006, 07:37:52 AM »

it is terrible that muslims in britain are so obviously being picked upon, but the fact is that they are british. currently britain is a hotbed for fundamentalist, muslim terrorists. all of whom are hell-bent on destroying western culture and implement an islamic state under sharian law.

cant wait for bush and the boys to invade Bradford and flush them out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: