Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:53:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  The Simpsons movie
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Simpsons movie  (Read 20191 times)
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2007, 05:17:56 AM »

i'm not comparing the two, its not a competition.

stop looking at them against one another, and accept that family guy is a cheap attempt at humour. its no less valid nor enjoyable given one's persuasion for humour; but when it comes to character development and jokes that are related to the storyline then family guy is woeful attempt at a show.

(and on the flashback, a flashback is something that has already happened on screen, not just in the character's life. therefore, family guy does not have flashbacks, like i said, it has gags which are dropped in regardless of the storyline at the time)
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2007, 05:25:16 AM »

i'm not comparing the two, its not a competition.

stop looking at them against one another, and accept that family guy is a cheap attempt at humour. its no less valid nor enjoyable given one's persuasion for humour; but when it comes to character development and jokes that are related to the storyline then family guy is woeful attempt at a show.

I'm saying I think you're giving south park a lttile to much credit, and not enough to family guy...

I think family guy's style makes it an orginal type of show... Calling it a cheap attempt on humor, in my view is wrong...

(and on the flashback, a flashback is something that has already happened on screen, not just in the character's life. therefore, family guy does not have flashbacks, like i said, it has gags which are dropped in regardless of the storyline at the time)

But is it not a flashback in their life when they say it that way?? Really I was just putting it that way cause it was less to type  hihi
2NaFish
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2007, 05:30:49 AM »

i gave south park hardly any credit, i barely mentioned south park. Where i spoke of emotional development and jokes related to the story i was talking about any decent tv show (of which, admittedly, there are few). And i gave family credit where its due, its funny and enjoyable, but also cheap and predictable.

And its hardly original, watch any episode of the simpsons series 2 - 5 and you'll see this "flashback" humour employed; except when they did it they related it to the storyline and then cut it out by the time it got boring, unlike family guy who actually do more of it as time goes by.

(and its still not a flashback. its a fake show; nothing actually exists outside what we see. therefore unless we've already seen it, its not a flashback)
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2007, 05:38:27 AM »

And its hardly original, watch any episode of the simpsons series 2 - 5 and you'll see this "flashback" humour employed; except when they did it they related it to the storyline and then cut it out by the time it got boring, unlike family guy who actually do more of it as time goes by.

Hence Family Guy does it in an entirley different way...
(and its still not a flashback. its a fake show; nothing actually exists outside what we see. therefore unless we've already seen it, its not a flashback)

flash?back:
interruption of chronological sequence (as in a film or literary work) by interjection of events of earlier occurrence; also : an instance of flashback b : a past incident recurring vividly in the mind
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2007, 06:20:46 AM »

south parks tv series generally just improves each one, series 10 was brilliant.

simpsons is same old same old.

family guy is just a load of shit, did not make me laugh whatsoever.

html sucks
2NaFish
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #105 on: August 03, 2007, 06:36:46 AM »

Hence Family Guy does it in an entirley different way

howcome? surely if it does the same thing but just more often it is not different, simply to a greater extent.
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2007, 06:42:12 AM »

howcome? surely if it does the same thing but just more often it is not different, simply to a greater extent.

Because they dont relate to the story.. They're so off the wall... You never know where they're going with it until the end..
2NaFish
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2007, 06:54:35 AM »

Because they dont relate to the story.. They're so off the wall... You never know where they're going with it until the end..

oh, well bravo to family guy. why bother actually working to fit a joke in, just dump it in wherever.
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2007, 06:59:27 AM »

I like south park... It's alright..  Cool

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2007, 07:18:27 AM »

oh, well bravo to family guy. why bother actually working to fit a joke in, just dump it in wherever.

Down boy  Roll Eyes

And again, you make it seem like they NEVER do.... Do you even watch the show, or do you just go off what people say?
2NaFish
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2007, 07:30:56 AM »

they very rarely do anything but.

and as far as i know i've seen every single episode, like i said way back, i enjoy the show, but on an 'artistic' level, its absolut dross.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2007, 07:38:18 AM »

I hope that's a genuine question because if you cant see the massive differences between the various series and the film then I do have to wonder

Plenty of differences...the main plot point just wasn't one of them....other than the name of the plot device.  Energon by any other name...

Actually I was fairly certain this film would be atleast as good as an average episode and maybe within touching distance of a great episode

If you liked this film than thats great - it must be wonderful to find everything funny even without the help of substances

...me, well i like comedy, ya know witty observations, great timing the whole nine yards

A quote from you, from June 2nd, page 1 in this very thread:

oh c'mon!

Where have u been for the last 10 years?

The writers have managed an incredible run of horrendous episode after horrendous episode. How on earth could they suddenly reverse the rot after all this time?

The Simpsons IS Krusty the Klown, a bloated commercial juggernaut kept in motion by virtue that no one has anything to replace it with

This film will be terrible - possibly worse than the ep where Homer organises the superbowl half time show - yes, possibly as painfully uninspired as that

So....which is it?  You expected it to be decent? Or you knew it was going to be terrible? 

I'll stand by my opinion you had written the movie off before you stepped in the theater...largely because that's what you said back in June.

As for my sense of humor, looking at MOST of the reviews, (89% fresh on rotten tomatoes, STILL), it seems that I'm in the majority on this one.  I can respect anyone that walked in with an open mind and didn't like the film.  But honestly.....it's apparent (by your own words) that's not what's happened here.

And ANYONE that creams over the Transformers, and then points to "substance" should never, ever be taken seriously where movies are concerned again. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 07:42:52 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: