Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 07:25:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228022 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  * October 25th, 2006 Tampa, FL @ St. Pete Times Forum ** DISCUSSION **
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: * October 25th, 2006 Tampa, FL @ St. Pete Times Forum ** DISCUSSION **  (Read 35690 times)
fishyguy
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2006, 06:14:21 PM »

Great review SLC enjoyed reading it a lot.   Smiley

How was the crowd response to BBF's Dont Cry?

Was he wearing his colourful shirt again?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 06:18:13 PM by fishyguy » Logged
PrettyTiedUp763
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2006, 06:56:47 PM »

Thanks for the awesome review SLCPUNK!  ok
badobessionwithaxl
Headliner

Live and let die.

« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2006, 07:24:20 PM »

No colorful shirt.. a grey shirt.

and his solo blew me out of the water..

Got to meet him after the show.. really cool guy!  Smiley

Can't stop thinkin bout doin it one more time..
« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2006, 07:34:12 PM »

my wait starts when I hear the release date.

A rational human being on a GNR messageboard? Say it aint so!  nervous
Charity Case
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2006, 08:03:55 PM »

One is that the place was pretty much full.

I will give my review tomorrow, but let me correct this statement....the place was half empty guys.  Not a single seat was sold in the third level, and the floor was only about half full.  They had no more than 7,000 people there guys.  I actually felt bad for Axl.  I was dead center stage about 10 feet back and when I turned around and saw most of the seats empty at the far end and the floor only half full, I felt bad for the guy.  No way you can make a statement that the place was anywhere near ful..

That being said, the show was indeed awesome and Axl was in good form.  My only complaint was that his mic was too low and on many of the lyric you couldn't even hear him.  When he screamed you could, but on many lyrics his voice didn't come through too well.

Pap Roach was very very good though (and this coming from a guy that doesn't like Pap Roach that much.  More later when I get a chance.
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2006, 08:50:03 PM »

I will give my review tomorrow, but let me correct this statement....the place was half empty guys.? Not a single seat was sold in the third level, and the floor was only about half full.? They had no more than 7,000 people there guys.? I actually felt bad for Axl.? I was dead center stage about 10 feet back and when I turned around and saw most of the seats empty at the far end and the floor only half full, I felt bad for the guy.? No way you can make a statement that the place was anywhere near ful..

That being said, the show was indeed awesome and Axl was in good form.? My only complaint was that his mic was too low and on many of the lyric you couldn't even hear him.? When he screamed you could, but on many lyrics his voice didn't come through too well.

Pap Roach was very very good though (and this coming from a guy that doesn't like Pap Roach that much.? More later when I get a chance.

The third level was never sold. Security was keeping people out of the third level, I saw it with my own eyes about five times when people tried to go up there. I don't know what was up. When I was on TM, the third seemed available, but at the actual show, security was keeping people out.

As for Frank. He ruled. I don't know why this bad vibe is about him. Great on all of the songs, although not as gifted as Brain. But it the funny part was, Axl screwed up and introduced him as "On the the drums, MISS Frank Ferrer... wait a minute ... did I just introduce him as Miss? Mr. Frank Ferrer"

It was funny for a second.

Plus Richard jumped on that stage boom thing, and started loosing his balance, and Axl grabbed him by the waist to make sure he didn't fall.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
bigbri
VIP

"I come in peace."

« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2006, 08:57:26 PM »

I will give my review tomorrow, but let me correct this statement....the place was half empty guys.? Not a single seat was sold in the third level, and the floor was only about half full.? They had no more than 7,000 people there guys.? I actually felt bad for Axl.? I was dead center stage about 10 feet back and when I turned around and saw most of the seats empty at the far end and the floor only half full, I felt bad for the guy.? No way you can make a statement that the place was anywhere near ful..

That being said, the show was indeed awesome and Axl was in good form.? My only complaint was that his mic was too low and on many of the lyric you couldn't even hear him.? When he screamed you could, but on many lyrics his voice didn't come through too well.

Pap Roach was very very good though (and this coming from a guy that doesn't like Pap Roach that much.? More later when I get a chance.

As for Frank. He ruled. I don't know why this bad vibe is about him. Great on all of the songs, although not as gifted as Brain.

Well, you answered your question. Frank isn't as gifted as Brain, and I, for one, want the best guys out there for GNR. If Brain has bowed out, more power to him. But it's a little frustrating when people here say they want Frank because he's better. Well, I think that's pretty obviously not the case. That's what happens when every member is replaced. It's always, "Well, he sucked anyway, this guy's better." Not.

GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2006, 09:10:50 PM »

Are they performing KOHD with the audience participation ?

The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2006, 10:51:36 PM »

Yep, and the audience was into it. Especially the final verse, which had Axl doing the old rasp scream KNOCK KNOCKIN' ON HEAVEN'S DOOOOOOOOOOR WHOAOAOAOAOAOA YEAH!

peace ok

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2006, 10:58:30 PM »

Well, you answered your question. Frank isn't as gifted as Brain, and I, for one, want the best guys out there for GNR.

That doesn't really matter around here. Robin clearly isn't as gifted as either Bumble or Richard in terms of talent, and people are fine with it. As long as a group of guys show up and play GNR songs with Axl singing things will be fine.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2006, 11:25:02 PM »

I will give my review tomorrow, but let me correct this statement....the place was half empty guys.  Not a single seat was sold in the third level, and the floor was only about half full.  They had no more than 7,000 people there guys.

I don't know how many people it holds, but from my perspective it seemed pretty darn filled up. Half empty by the end of the night? Yea, it was, people were leaving to go to work more than likely. But no way was it half empty.

I guess Kujo, Mrs Punk and myself all have bad vision.................. Roll Eyes hihi
SLCPUNK
« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2006, 11:29:20 PM »

question: how was the moshpit-or was there really one? just curious to know what to expect when i go.

From where I was, I couldn't really tell. But security seemed to be kicking people out a bit.

Great review SLC! 
Was there any banter or anything else memorable that was said or that you noticed?

Nothing really that stood out, he seemed to be in a great mood.

Great review SLC enjoyed reading it a lot.   Smiley

How was the crowd response to BBF's Dont Cry?

Was he wearing his colourful shirt again?

No S Fla shirt tonight.............

The response was very good, even with it getting late, and it seemed many people were hitting the wall (at least around me they were.)

Thanks everybody.
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2006, 11:32:20 PM »

When do we get to see your hand touching Axl's? hihi
SLCPUNK
« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2006, 11:39:35 PM »

When do we get to see your hand touching Axl's? hihi

I have to get an upgrade for my cheap cell phone (I think) in order to upload the pic. I am going to do it, because this picture has to be saved to a computer, it's just too cool.
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2006, 11:46:26 PM »

Was there any banter or anything else memorable that was said or that you noticed?

Axl coming on stage as the band jams waiting for the piano to be prepped for November Rain. Axl sees Robin sprawled out on the floor jamming out and runs over to him and pretends to kick the shit out of him L.A.P.D. style. Tommy saw this and was cracking up.

Finck spent a good amount of time laid out on the floor. He must have got some good stuff in Miami.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
SLCPUNK
« Reply #115 on: October 26, 2006, 11:56:43 PM »

Axl coming on stage as the band jams waiting for the piano to be prepped for November Rain. Axl sees Robin sprawled out on the floor jamming out and runs over to him and pretends to kick the shit out of him L.A.P.D. style. Tommy saw this and was cracking up.

Finck spent a good amount of time laid out on the floor. He must have got some good stuff in Miami.

I guess that didn't stand out to me.

Robin was having a bit o'trouble with gravity it seemed. It was kind of fun to watch him play on the floor like that. For a second I thought he almost hurt himself jumping down from the stage.

Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #116 on: October 27, 2006, 12:08:44 AM »

I will give my review tomorrow, but let me correct this statement....the place was half empty guys.? Not a single seat was sold in the third level, and the floor was only about half full.? They had no more than 7,000 people there guys.

I don't know how many people it holds, but from my perspective it seemed pretty darn filled up. Half empty by the end of the night? Yea, it was, people were leaving to go to work more than likely. But no way was it half empty.

I guess Kujo, Mrs Punk and myself all have bad vision.................. Roll Eyes hihi

There were more than 7000 when Sebastian was playing.  Roll Eyes
General Admission was packed back to just before the soundboard. The 4th Level was closed but everyother area, other than right behind the stage was pretty full.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Chief
Legend

« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2006, 12:29:23 AM »

Thanks a lot for that review.. it was a great read after a long day, made me feel good!!!   peace

What an absolutely crazy night.

We go to the venue around 8 o?clock. There was a real mixed crowd there; a little bit of everybody. We got right in our seats as we didn?t want to miss Bach start out. Kujo was one section over, while Mrs. Punk and I were on the side, right next to the stage. Staring at the people in GA caged up like farm animals did not make me jealous by any means.

Bach really did well and the crowd response was very strong. Even at this point the venue was about (I?m guessing now) 80 percent full. He played mostly older Skid Row stuff with a new one thrown in there. The new song was a ballad, but very nice. (He says it?s on you tube so I?ll certainly be checking that out later.) His band was tight, Bach was???.well Bach. Not much as changed. His voice was great, and really let out some howls.

Now, it is important for me to backtrack a bit here. My location was right next to the corner of the stage, where I could see people coming and going that worked the venue, with the groups, or in the groups themselves. In Las Vegas I had run into Robin twice before the show. This time, it was my wife who saw Finck first and grabbed my arm. He had come up on my right, climbed the railing down and began to walk around the GA floor. This was about two songs into Baz?s set when he walked past me. At this point I am looking back towards my left down at the floor waiting to see if he will return the way he went. About two minutes later he returns and climbs back over the rail right beside me. I give him a big handshake and he looks right at me and smiles. Totally cool. It was so loud he probably could not have heard what I said, so a handshake was all that was needed. He went on his way and disappeared behind the stage right after.

About 2/3 of the way through Baz?s set I look over to my right and there is Frank. His hat on top of his head, turned a bit sideways and his 50?s style looking glasses on. Leaning against the rail and watching Bach turn it out. I went over to shake his hand, but the security guy blocked me from going over. He sat for a good 15 minutes watching, and then slipped backstage once again.

When Bach ended his set, we bolted outside for some fresh air and totally skipped Pappa Roach, who we were not interested in watching.

Around 11 we strolled back in, and realized at this point that PR had just ended. So there was no way, that there was going to be an 11 go time for Guns. I figured, maybe 11:30, but that seemed pushing it. The security guy (that I had been joking with off and on all night) looked at me and said ?Ready to wait? He?s not even in Tampa yet.? I laughed, but he said ?He just left now.?

I?d call that bullshit on any other day, but as time went on (and it went on), another guy would come up and say ?He?s in Tampa now.? Then a few minutes later ?He?s on his way now.? He kept getting reports of Axl?s whereabouts so I had to actually wonder if this was legitimate or not. Eventually the guy came back and said ?Put in your earplugs, he is coming out.?

The security guy looked at me and said ?If they say put in your earplugs to me, it means he is here and about to start.?

Of course then another 5 minutes passed, and a surprisingly patient crowd still had not begun to get pissed yet. It was about 11:40 or so and people were still pumped it seemed. I joked to Mrs. Punk that we needed to hear booing. It was booing that often preceded the start of a show in our experiences. It almost was a formula of the new band at this point: booing = should be on any minute.

Another five minutes past and in an almost rehearsed moment the entire arena began to boo simultaneously . It lasted about 5 seconds and the lights dropped. Again, Mrs. Punk pushing at my arm, telling me to look to my right. I glanced over to see the band walking, almost in single file, towards the back of the stage in a hurry.

Boos turned to cheers, as the lights dropped and everybody was now standing. Dry ice was pushed over the crowd and the ominous opening music played before that first riff of Jungle rang out.

Then, the place went absolutely insane. Almost midnight now, with a second wind, this crowd was more than welcoming to the band that made them wait so long.

The set list remained the same pretty much. They did interject ?I used to love her? near the end of the set, which I liked.

My view was astounding as Bumble, Robin (lots of Robin) and Axl constantly were right in front of me. Near the middle of the show I extended my hand out to Axl and he ran up and shook my hand, sending the girls behind me into hysterics that reached ear piercing decibels. He then reached past me to shake one of their hands as well. In an act of selflessness one could only hope for in a mate, Mrs. Punk snapped a photo of my outreached arm and hand pairing up with Axl?s  for a handshake. A killer moment captured on my cheap cell phone to remember forever. I received a text message from Kujo about two minutes later and all it said was ? FUCKER.? HAHAHAHA! Love ya bro!

It is even  more important to address the people who spend so much time spinning negativity about this tour and band. Standing there I noticed a few important things that should silence these crybabies (although I doubt it will). One is that the place was pretty much full. Not bad for a band that still has no album, few remaining members, and so-so promotion. Two is that the crowd was absolutely positive about this band. Excited to see them, cheering every song, singing along, jumping up and down, and LOUD. People can cry, bitch and moan about all the little things they whip up into a frenzy online. Pathetic ramblings in a pretend internet world are just that: pathetic ramblings in a pretend internet world.

There is however, only one real litmus test: real time crowd reaction and turnout. Both I witnessed last night to be very strong. In the middle of the frantic yelling, screaming, guitar riffs, smoke, sweat and energy, I realized that this album will probably do great when it is released. My prior doubts were pushed aside after last night and I am now confident. A venue like Tampa is not The Joint in Las Vegas, and it is not the Ballroom in NYC. It is not filled with hardcore internet geek fans who fly from around the country/globe to see their hero band. It is an arena that brought the general public out to see a band they obviously still have an enormous amount of interest in.

Encore began with  Chinese Democracy, and I could feel the heat from the flames shooting up into the air during the song. Ending of course with Paradise City, bumble foot walked along the front of the GA crowd and let everybody touch his guitar and shook their hands.

What an amazing night, absolutely 100 percent incredible.

Thanks.

Edit: I am reading a lot about Frank. Axl introduced him as the "newest member." I can only guess that Brain is taking time off to be a dad.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2006, 12:31:28 AM »

The St. Pete Times review said there were 10,500 people there.  Sounds like a pretty good turnout to me.

Ali
MisterSaintLaurent
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2006, 12:38:03 AM »

10,500 is pretty accurate for tickets sold/comped, but the scalpers took a bath and there were probably only 8,000 in the building. Sunrise was a totally different story as it was 95% full even with the top level open.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: