Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 03:10:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228065 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Tipping....Am I in the wrong here?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tipping....Am I in the wrong here?  (Read 12873 times)
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« on: December 04, 2006, 06:12:08 PM »

Okay let me just say, I always leave tips and good ones at that.? I always believe in good service/good tip.? Anyhow tonight my best friend and I go to our favorite little cozy pub-ish hangout here in town.? We're always there, spend hundreds of dollars there and never cause any problems.? Anyhow, the waitress, who I don't know personally, but know a lot of times from being there flipped out today.? After we paid our bills in full and walked out the door she comes running out screaming, "Is there any reason you guys stiffed me?"? Now we were feeling a little tipsy from all the Guinness and it totally didn't even skim my mind to leave a tip (I would have, it's just we were engaged in some pretty deep drunken conversation).? I say, "excuse me?"......and I thought she was joking at first because she's always been really cool.....then she says "I only make $2.83 an hour plus tips."? Then I realized she was pretty serious and it set me off.? I might have went a little over board and said "It's not my fucking problem to care about your career choice."? Then she mumbles "whatever" and goes back inside.

Now this really puts me in a pickle, because I really love this place.? I always leave a good tip and I've never had a problem with her before (infact she's always been super cool, but I think she just had a baby so maybe she's pissy over that).? Either way.....does that give her the right to harrass a patron over a tip?? I really would like to go back again, but I must say I'm damn pissed at the place. I mean really though......I don't give a fuck if you choose to be a waitress, but don't bitch at me because I was a little drunk and forgot to leave a tip.? If she's that hard up maybe she should waddle her ass over to a titty bar and work?? Goddamnit, why wasn't Steve Buschemi there to leave a tip??
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 06:36:15 PM by bill213 » Logged

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Back Off Bitch
VIP

Fritz Lang

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 06:53:38 PM »

It wasn't cool you forgot to tip but it also wasn't cool that she went an annoyed you about it. And wasn't cool what you said back...  Also, a waitress is a helluva lot more respectable a job than a strip club.. you might as well have just pulled a Buscemi and said 'this is the world's smallest violin playing just for the waitresses'

12.10.91 Madison Square Garden
05.12.06 Hammerstein Ballroom
05.14.06 Hammerstein Ballroom
11.10.06 Madison Square Garden
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 07:01:21 PM »

Wow, I was a waitress a million moons ago.

I can't say I have ever chased a customer down to complain about a tip though, that is totally uncalled for.  The way I figured, if someone stiffed me I would make it up eventually, either on that day or another.  It's the luck of the draw with that kind of job, you can't expect to make a certain amount of money.

You forgot, it happens.

I wouldn't stop going there though.  I don't see why you would if you enjoy it.  I am sure she will come to her senses and realize how she acted over it was out of line and if she doesn't and starts treating other customers badly I am sure the boss will notice and do what is appropriate.

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 07:15:29 PM »

I had a waitress run out after me at my all time fave bar....I tipped her, but not that much (all she did was bring out drinks, whoopdy fucking doo!) so she said something like "is there a reason for such a low tip, my boss kinda chewed me out" or something like that.  she wasn't bitchy but i was shocked she had the balls to run out after me for literally 2-3 dollars.

your comment was kinda shitty, but yeah i don't blame you for going off (esp if you were tipsy) when someone just out of nowhere attacks you like that.  She could have just said "sorry guys but is there a reason you didn't tip? was it the service" and you prob would have been like "oh shit we totally forgot we're so sorry" and then tip her even more. 

its a wash, i'd avoid the place for a week or two and then head back, if you ever get her again just give her a nice tip.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
SLCPUNK
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 07:18:04 PM »

She has already bad mouthed you to everybody there. Go back, tip her 20 percent of the bill and apologize.

She should not have run out, that was totally uncool of her, but you still stiffed her. She could have had four guys there who ran up a 300 dollar bill and tipped her 60 bucks instead. See what I mean?

Bandita is right, one lousy tip (or on those rare occasions no tip) even out, as the next guest may very well tip you 50 percent.

Servers, bartenders hate that shit, and nobody is going to want to take care of you (they may smile, but they are still saying what a dick you are back in the kitchen-yea really) when you come in.

People remember the lousy tippers as well as the great ones, and each get their own special treatment when they return to an establishment to dine, or drink.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 07:23:26 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 07:29:02 PM »

This all in all, makes me hate tipping now.? Why the fuck should I compensate somebody that walks a fucking plate of french fries and a pint of Guinness five feet to my table?? Next time I save someone's life who just got stabbed three times, I'm going to ask them for a dollar or two.? I really don't give a shit if she makes $2.83 an hour....it's not my problem.? That's her own fault.? I couldn't fathom going running after someone yelling at them for not leaving me two dollars.? Maybe she should take some of that energy out on the pub owners and ask them for more money?

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 07:34:28 PM »

Bill, in the situation you were in, tipping is expected.  That is the reason the minimum wage is so low for the food service industry.

You forgot and the waitress handled it badly.  She took it personally when it was an honest mistake.

Once I had the worst service ever in a diner.  I mean this waitress was just out and out hostile and I have no idea why.  So I left her like a 50% tip.  In my mind this made sense to do, I know most here won't agree but I thought by doing this it would make her look at her actions more.  I have no idea if it worked but I haven't been back there since just because it isn't in a place I frequent.

Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 07:38:46 PM »

I almost always tip 15% and sometimes 20%+ if they're really good.  However, when I goto my fav bar where they all know my name, I tip at least 25%.  To each their own, and it sounds like you made an honest mistake.   But if it were my normal hang out, I'd go teh extra mile to make sure I was in good favor there.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 07:39:31 PM »

The waitress handled it wrong, sure.

But if you are not going to tip, make sure you inform any person of service before they start to work for you. See what happens.

You are paying a commission of sales (that is how the owners/mgt/waiters see this) to the waiter. The only difference is that there is only a guideline set for you, and you ultimately chose the commission. You pay commissions frequently and it is factored into the final sales price whenever you purchase something.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 07:45:44 PM »

When I used to drink, I tipped my bartender big-time. Guess who always got the hook up? Guess who always got their drink first? Free rounds bought by the manager from time to time? Who got to stay late? Who got happy hour rates well into the night?

When I go to my favorite seafood restaurant on St. Pete beach with Mrs. Punk they are always ready to accommodate us. Sometimes they'll send out a starter course for us on the house, or maybe buy us a cr?me brulee at the end of the meal.

My mechanic back in SLC was the same way, at the end of a job, maybe I'd buy him a 12 pack of nice beer, or give him some extra money, and I always sent him business. Guess who never waited to have their car worked on? Guess who always got right in? Once he did a job for me free and sent me on my way!

If it is your favorite hangout, I?d make nice with the waitress and say you made an honest mistake and were caught off guard. Ten to one she?ll apologize right back.

I remember twice as a waiter getting stiffed where the next day an envelope showed up with money and an apology from an embarrassed guest who was too drunk or whatever.

Queen of Everything
Slash is Orgasmic (This title has been bumped by the poster)
Legend

Slash Can Ride....... Me!

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 07:52:21 PM »

HMMMM this is weird, because in Australia, as far as I am concerned.  It isnt important to tip, its a perk and where I live, rare.

So here the situation was completley out of hand.  No-one would ever ever EVER chase a customer asking for a tip!?  And the way you reacted was perfectly normal.  Something I would say in that situation.

But as I said, Australia may be different.  Actually, Im sure it is.

Formerly "Drama_qween"... but still as cool. Smiley
www.myspace.com/jessheartsmusic
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 08:01:51 PM »

Yes, the US is really different when it comes to tipping than other countries.

The minimum wage is lower for this industry because it is expected that with the tips the employee will go over the minimum wage.  The employee is supposed to report all the tips (I never did, the law really only requires that you report what will bring you to min. wage) and the appropriate taxes are taken out of their check.  More times than not, a waiter or waitress receives a paycheck for 0 dollars (a shortfall) because the taxes outweigh the pittance wage they actually get paid before tips.

But as SLC said, you get remembered by how you treat people.  I know when I just walk into my nail salon or hair place they always take me right away because I am a big tipper.  It all evens out in the end when your time gets saved and you need something done on the fly. peace
SLCPUNK
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 08:02:37 PM »

Something I would say in that situation.

But as I said, Australia may be different.  Actually, Im sure it is.

It is.

But as SLC said, you get remembered by how you treat people.  I know when I just walk into my nail salon or hair place they always take me right away because I am a big tipper.  It all evens out in the end when your time gets saved and you need something done on the fly. peace

I forgot about that. The girl who does my hair always has a space for me, always. If she is booked, (her instructions) ask to speak to her and she will fit me in. I am not very good at making appointments so this works well. But I also keep in mind that she is making room for me and tip her accordingly. Her normal charge is 20 bucks for a haircut. After a few visits she began to charge me 15 instead, and I kept the tip at 10 bucks. Lowering the price was a gesture to say thanks, and letting me come in on the fly also.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 08:06:56 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 08:12:28 PM »

HMMMM this is weird, because in Australia, as far as I am concerned.  It isnt important to tip, its a perk and where I live, rare.

England is different from the US, so I'm sure Oz is too. You can't tip in an English pub, if you try they'll give the money back and more than likely laugh
at you.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 08:28:36 PM »

in Australia tipping is non-existent.

i don't get the concept of tipping.

why give them extra money if they're just doing their job? it should be none of the customers concern. if their doing a good job and are a great worker, the owner or manager should increase their wage or something for it. consumers shouldn't be tipping.

instead of being paid a measly $2.57 + tips why not just raise the wage?

you pay for their good service when you buy the food or book the hotel room or get a cab or whatever.

i bet when i go to america im gonna get a lot of angry waitresses, barmen, doorman, cleaners, cab drivers, bell boys etc etc.

this will result in the spitting in food, the spitting in drink, the loss of luggage, a dirty bed, a cab driver who will run after me and kill me etc etc.

loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 08:31:39 PM »

As it's been said, you always gotta tip.  It doesn't matter if she ran out for you or if it was uncool, you just gotta tip.

Here's a tip:  Every time you buy a round of shots for your buddies, ask the waitress if you want one, and smile a lot at her.  Even if she turns you down, you'll probably start getting free drinks every time you visit.   ok

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 08:50:50 PM »

in Australia tipping is non-existent.

i don't get the concept of tipping.

You just answered your own question before asking it Smiley

why give them extra money if they're just doing their job? it should be none of the customers concern. if their doing a good job and are a great worker, the owner or manager should increase their wage or something for it. consumers shouldn't be tipping.

instead of being paid a measly $2.57 + tips why not just raise the wage?

you pay for their good service when you buy the food or book the hotel room or get a cab or whatever.

Eating out is extremely cheap in the US compared to the UK and probably Australia. The service industry works by voluntary extra payment (tips) and it works very well, certainly compared to the UK.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006, 08:59:56 PM »

http://www.findalink.net/tippingetiquette.php

Interesting site on tipping.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 09:12:41 PM »

i bet when i go to america im gonna get a lot of angry waitresses, barmen, doorman, cleaners, cab drivers, bell boys etc etc.

Why not just respect the customs of the country you are visiting instead?

Natasha23
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2006, 09:13:29 PM »

If you like the place and want to go back, I would go back, tip her and explain that you were a little drunk and merely forgot to leave a tip. ?It wasn't a reflection on her service whatsoever, but she should not have chased after you and been agressive like that. ? That was just dumb of her because if you had gone to the manager (which I don't suggest at this point) she could have lost her job. ?
It only matters if you want to go back to this place, and it sounds like you do. ?If she's always been cool before, she was probably just having a bad day, so if you clear the air, she'll probably be bringing you free hot wings from now on.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: