Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2024, 05:56:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228079 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  VH1 Classic's Top 20 Metal Bands...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: VH1 Classic's Top 20 Metal Bands...  (Read 15603 times)
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« on: December 27, 2006, 04:07:45 PM »

They fucking left GN'R out!

Bullshit crappy bands that WERE included:

W.A.S.P., Poison, Ratt, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Skid Row, Quiet Riot, hell KISS sucks too!

I'm sure some would disagree with me on the likes of KISS and Def Leppard, but I don't consider either of them to be metal and NONE of the above mentioned bands are real metal at all. GN'R wasn't either, but their music was heavier AND better than crap like the above mentioned bands. The only one I agreed with on the list was Metallica at #1. They put AC/DC on there. I love AC/DC, but they are hard rock (even moreso than GN'R) and NOT metal. If you include AC/DC, then you MUST include the likes of Led Zeppelin (which they did not).

novemberparadise23
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 04:08:52 PM »

i don't consider gnr metal i consider them hard rock so im not pissed about this

"life sucks, but in a really beautiful kind of way."
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 04:11:51 PM »

i don't consider gnr metal i consider them hard rock so im not pissed about this

Do you consider AC/DC metal? LMFAO if you do. Their excuse for putting AC/DC in there was that they had one of the top 5 selling metal albums ever. If we're basing this on album sales, then GN'R should EASILY be in the top 5 on any list about hard rock/metal. Quiet Riot? One hit wonder. Ratt? One hit wonder. Skid Row? POP metal crap. Poison? POP metal crap. Motley Crue? Posers. W.A.S.P.? Posers. The only real metal bands they had on the list were Metallica, Megadeth, and Slayer. The rest were either good bands but not metal (AC/DC), or just utter crap (the likes of Twisted Sister).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 04:15:07 PM by GNRfan2008 » Logged
Chief
Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 04:13:56 PM »

I don't consider GNR or AC/DC metal.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 04:14:35 PM »

lol, I guess I never really gave a shit what some guys at VH1 think, I can form my own opinions

Axl is God.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 04:14:48 PM »

great, for once media is right about gn'r not being a metal band, ?ok
Rocksteady
Rocker

Fist in the air in the land of hipocrisy

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 04:17:23 PM »

Who the hell cares about some crappy VH1 list Huh? GN'R is kinda difficult to label anyway... ?But yeah Hard Rock is probably the most accurate term to describe them.

This   is   Democracy!!!
novemberparadise23
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 04:18:15 PM »

i don't consider gnr or acdc metal

people on vh1 always like to classify things as "heavy metal" when classify gnr, led zeppelin and acdc as hard rock

"life sucks, but in a really beautiful kind of way."
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 04:19:02 PM »

Who the hell cares about some crappy VH1 list  Huh GN'R is kinda difficult to label anyway...  But yeah Hard Rock is probably the most accurate term to describe them.

Well the funny thing about this is that they are running a commercial about "countdown week" and they play a clip of the WTTJ video during that commercial, suggesting I guess that GN'R is on a countdown this week. I think they have 20 best songs of the 80s or something also this week. They'll probably be on that one.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 04:20:13 PM »

i don't consider gnr or acdc metal

people on vh1 always like to classify things as "heavy metal" when classify gnr, led zeppelin and acdc as hard rock

Yeah, in iTunes and on my iPod, I have GN'R, Led Zeppelin, and AC/DC classified as hard rock. I even have the later Metallica albums as hard rock too b/c they went from metal to mainstream hard rock on the Load album.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 04:38:30 PM »

didn't vh1 name wttj to best heavy metal song ever or something like that and SCOM on top20 too?

rofl

EDIT: post #2200  Grin bow
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 04:47:52 PM by CheapJon » Logged
guns_n_motley
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 04:54:28 PM »

Do you consider AC/DC metal? LMFAO if you do. Their excuse for putting AC/DC in there was that they had one of the top 5 selling metal albums ever. If we're basing this on album sales, then GN'R should EASILY be in the top 5 on any list about hard rock/metal. Quiet Riot? One hit wonder. Ratt? One hit wonder. Skid Row? POP metal crap. Poison? POP metal crap. Motley Crue? Posers. W.A.S.P.? Posers. The only real metal bands they had on the list were Metallica, Megadeth, and Slayer. The rest were either good bands but not metal (AC/DC), or just utter crap (the likes of Twisted Sister).

actually all those bands you listed ARE metal.. metallica, megadeth, slayer are THRASH metal

theres not ONE type of metal.. stop being such a close minded Fuck!
Illusions Used
Opening Act

One In A Million

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 05:00:26 PM »

VH1 knows jack dick about metal.  VH1 is an authority on what is popular and what was popular.  Metal: not popular. 

Well some say I'm lazy
And others say that's just me
Some say I'm crazy
I guess I'll always be

12.2.06 Target Center
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 05:55:51 PM »

VH1 is an authority on what is popular and what was popular.   

No, thats MTV
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 09:09:20 PM »

They fucking left GN'R out!

Bullshit crappy bands that WERE included:

W.A.S.P., Poison, Ratt, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Skid Row, Quiet Riot, hell KISS sucks too!

I'm sure some would disagree with me on the likes of KISS and Def Leppard, but I don't consider either of them to be metal and NONE of the above mentioned bands are real metal at all. GN'R wasn't either, but their music was heavier AND better than crap like the above mentioned bands. The only one I agreed with on the list was Metallica at #1. They put AC/DC on there. I love AC/DC, but they are hard rock (even moreso than GN'R) and NOT metal. If you include AC/DC, then you MUST include the likes of Led Zeppelin (which they did not).

Metal does always have to mean "dududududududududududuudud *double pedal* dududududududududuudud *solo* "

WTF is "real metal" those bands didnt class themselves as metal (other than skid row), they either classed themselves as glam or rock n roll.

gnr are a hard rock band, everyone knows that.

ac/dc blues rock

led zeppelin...err everything.

html sucks
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 10:02:53 PM »

Quiet Riot? One hit wonder.

You DO know that Randy Rhoads got his start in Quiet Riot, right? They were formed in the mid 70's and had albums out in the late 70's, so they're an important band in the development of American heavy metal. They were before the NWOBHM, which few metal bands can claim.

Ratt? One hit wonder.

I agree. Ratt was never that great.

Skid Row? POP metal crap.

No way! Skid Row were one of the heaviest of the glam metal bands. They had some pop songs and ballads, but they were a lot ballsier than Cinderella, Poison, Warrant, etc. Skid Row was a more aggressive band than people think.

Poison? POP metal crap.

Yep.

Motley Crue? Posers.

Their first 2 albums cement their place in history as one of the most important metal bands in the early 80's. Everything after those are pure cheese, but were still very influential and are really just guilty pleasures. They are actually underrated, because most people think of the poseur albums, without considering the merits of the first 2.

W.A.S.P.? Posers.

BULLSHIT. WASP backed up their image with both lifestyle and music, and they didn't sell out the way Crue did. The Crimson Idol is probably the greatest glam concept album ever made; the band was both intelligent and brutal. They are probably the heaviest glam band of all time.

The only real metal bands they had on the list were Metallica, Megadeth, and Slayer. The rest were either good bands but not metal (AC/DC), or just utter crap (the likes of Twisted Sister).

Twisted Sister was one of the first, if not the first, glam metal bands. Earlier glam was rock/punk based. Twisted Sister also wrote Burn In Hell, one of the heaviest songs ever written by a glam band. Plus, they were popular, iconic, and generally good.

You should be more upset that they didn't include Bathory, Burzum, and Suffocation. Wink
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 10:05:56 PM by Walk » Logged
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 10:04:04 PM »

Finally, GnR was never a metal band, except in the very early pre-Appetite days, and perhaps the middle section of the song Crash Diet. That's about it.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2006, 10:40:54 PM »

Any time MTV or VH1 mention "metal" they generally mean "hair metal," which isn't metal.  The idiocy of their list is proven by the inclusion of AC/DC, which belongs near the top of ANY best of hard rock list, but the argument that AC/DC is metal is even weaker than the same argument for GNR. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
guns_n_motley
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2006, 10:51:02 PM »

Any time MTV or VH1 mention "metal" they generally mean "hair metal," which isn't metal.? The idiocy of their list is proven by the inclusion of AC/DC, which belongs near the top of ANY best of hard rock list, but the argument that AC/DC is metal is even weaker than the same argument for GNR.?

well, it is metal. theres ALL different types of metal.

Judas Priest, Hatebreed, Motley Crue and Megadeth are ALL metal... but theres nothing really similar about them...its a broad genre.
guns_n_motley
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 10:53:18 PM »

Quiet Riot? One hit wonder.

You DO know that Randy Rhoads got his start in Quiet Riot, right? They were formed in the mid 70's and had albums out in the late 70's, so they're an important band in the development of American heavy metal. They were before the NWOBHM, which few metal bands can claim.

Ratt? One hit wonder.

I agree. Ratt was never that great.

Skid Row? POP metal crap.

No way! Skid Row were one of the heaviest of the glam metal bands. They had some pop songs and ballads, but they were a lot ballsier than Cinderella, Poison, Warrant, etc. Skid Row was a more aggressive band than people think.

Poison? POP metal crap.

Yep.

Motley Crue? Posers.

Their first 2 albums cement their place in history as one of the most important metal bands in the early 80's. Everything after those are pure cheese, but were still very influential and are really just guilty pleasures. They are actually underrated, because most people think of the poseur albums, without considering the merits of the first 2.

W.A.S.P.? Posers.

BULLSHIT. WASP backed up their image with both lifestyle and music, and they didn't sell out the way Crue did. The Crimson Idol is probably the greatest glam concept album ever made; the band was both intelligent and brutal. They are probably the heaviest glam band of all time.

The only real metal bands they had on the list were Metallica, Megadeth, and Slayer. The rest were either good bands but not metal (AC/DC), or just utter crap (the likes of Twisted Sister).

Twisted Sister was one of the first, if not the first, glam metal bands. Earlier glam was rock/punk based. Twisted Sister also wrote Burn In Hell, one of the heaviest songs ever written by a glam band. Plus, they were popular, iconic, and generally good.

You should be more upset that they didn't include Bathory, Burzum, and Suffocation. Wink

You do realise MOST people form their opinions on music from the media etc. I never really listened to the media. so I listened to Motley Crue, Pearl Jam, GNR, Ac/DC new rock and classic rock without really caring..

Some people need to open their minds abit.. no use in disowning a music before you hear it just based on some image the media feeds you..
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: