Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 09:01:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228062 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Jerry Falwell dead
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jerry Falwell dead  (Read 11629 times)
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2007, 03:39:52 PM »

From what I can see this is not exactly a loss to society.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2007, 03:51:23 PM »

Sadly, this is commonly the true state of religion in America.  If Christians in this country truly tried to be Christ-like, rather than using their beliefs as a bully pulpit to criticize everyone else, it would be a major improvement, both to religion and America.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2007, 03:54:15 PM »

Sadly, this is commonly the true state of religion in America.? If Christians in this country truly tried to be Christ-like, rather than using their beliefs as a bully pulpit to criticize everyone else, it would be a major improvement, both to religion and America.

As is the case with all populations and religions. People are more inclined to follow the words of the leader than the message itself.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2007, 03:56:37 PM »

Sadly, this is commonly the true state of religion in America.  If Christians in this country truly tried to be Christ-like, rather than using their beliefs as a bully pulpit to criticize everyone else, it would be a major improvement, both to religion and America.

As is the case with all populations and religions. People are more inclined to follow the words of the leader than the message itself.

Sad, isn't it?

Nut-job Christians who want to string up homosexuals and who'll deny any science that isn't in the Bible.
Nut-job Muslims who think blowing yourself up to kill Jews is a worthwhile life goal.
...and so on.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2007, 04:02:12 PM »

rip

I have never seen so many tree
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2007, 04:13:36 PM »

rip

rip ?  I hope the demons of hell (if there is such a place) torment that SOB for all of eternity .

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2007, 04:21:16 PM »

rip

rip ?? I hope the demons of hell (if there is such a place) torment that SOB for all of eternity .

Welcoming him with open arms is the more likely scenario hihi

TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2007, 04:21:26 PM »

Jesus used his beliefs as a bully pulpit to criticize everyone else. At least he did in my bible.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2007, 04:28:37 PM »

Jesus used his beliefs as a bully pulpit to criticize everyone else. At least he did in my bible.

If you think being Christian is about being an asshole to everyone else, you must have the Jerry Falwell Edition of the Bible.

BTW, for anyone who wants to see this man's obsession with controlling "immoral" behavior, enjoy reading the Liberty University (which he founded) code of conduct:

http://www.liberty.edu/index.cfm?pid=1378

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2007, 05:03:40 PM »

If you think being Christian is about being an asshole to everyone else, you must have the Jerry Falwell Edition of the Bible.

uh...no, I just used the same words that you used, the main ones being Christ(Jesus) and criticize.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2007, 05:05:09 PM »

uh...no, I just used the same words that you used, the main ones being Christ(Jesus) and criticize.

I guess I'm missing your point...could you clarify?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2007, 05:09:28 PM »

The bible is possibly the most boring book ever written, so it's convenient to soundbite it down to Jesus being about love and good deeds. But if you actually read it, much of the time he is being hypercritical of people not doing things his way.....much like Falwell.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2007, 05:24:01 PM »

The bible is possibly the most boring book ever written, so it's convenient to soundbite it down to Jesus being about love and good deeds. But if you actually read it, much of the time he is being hypercritical of people not doing things his way.....much like Falwell.

Gotcha.  I certainly agree that there's some of that in there...after all, it's a religious text, so various rules of morality are bound to be included.  My complaint is that some, like Falwell, seem to focus so much on the negative, and use religion as a means to pursue a political agenda that would actively discriminate against certain individuals.  And that's a shame, because there's so many good messages that could redeem religion for a lot of people.  But some want to summarize it as a list of who's goin' ta Hell, so that we can let them know about it. 

Consider the loonies who run www.godhatesfags.com.

Yeah, talk about a wonderful message.  Not only do they support the killing of homosexuals, but they're also pretty certain that Hurricane Katrina and the VT massacre are righteous signs from God. 

Now, Falwell wasn't THAT bad, but the fact that a church has made this its message is really just disgusting.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2007, 06:20:59 PM »

2. Why am I suddenly going to see something wrong with the God I believe in stating what is and isn't a minority... I assume you are trying to say that I'll be the minority one day??

The only thing that makes a minority a minority, in my eyes, is the fact that there are racial discrepancies.? And it's all relative.? Blacks are a minority in America, but not in Nigeria, for example.? I don't think God "ordained" that, so much as it's a fact of how the world currently works.
I worded my response to that wrong... What I think he's saying there is that (and you don't need to believe this) God created Whites, Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, Women etc.... If you read and believe the bible he didn't create homosexuals, because as the bible states, homosexuality is a Sin. Again whether or not you want to believe that is up to you, but he is not too far off track from just about every Christian group (with the exception of the American Anglican (Episcopalian) Church).

You don't need to give his group money, or send your children to his university... But you should atleast respect the fact that this guy was carried out of his office 8 hours ago. Anna Nichol Smith got more symapthy.
Surfrider
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2007, 06:29:37 PM »

I didn't see such hateful comments when Saddam Hussein was executed, and I doubt the people in this thread would care as much if Osama Bin Laden died.

The man died.  He didn't kill anyone.  He actually did a lot of good - even if you disagree with his political views.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2007, 06:31:41 PM »

2. Why am I suddenly going to see something wrong with the God I believe in stating what is and isn't a minority... I assume you are trying to say that I'll be the minority one day??

The only thing that makes a minority a minority, in my eyes, is the fact that there are racial discrepancies.  And it's all relative.  Blacks are a minority in America, but not in Nigeria, for example.  I don't think God "ordained" that, so much as it's a fact of how the world currently works.
I worded my response to that wrong... What I think he's saying there is that (and you don't need to believe this) God created Whites, Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, Women etc.... If you read and believe the bible he didn't create homosexuals, because as the bible states, homosexuality is a Sin. Again whether or not you want to believe that is up to you, but he is not too far off track from just about every Christian group (with the exception of the American Anglican (Episcopalian) Church).

You don't need to give his group money, or send your children to his university... But you should atleast respect the fact that this guy was carried out of his office 8 hours ago. Anna Nichol Smith got more symapthy.

I see what you're saying...and I'm not being too mean in my discussions, out of respect for the dead.  Notice that I'm not the one saying he's burning in Hell or anything like that. 

I just wish people who command the audience he did would use it to preach positive messages about how to treat your fellow man, even if you disagree with their lifestyles, actions, or beliefs.  Personally, I don't worry about whether homosexuality is a sin, because I'm not gay.  Either way, I don't think God would want me to persecute or harass gay people and, if that IS what God wants, then he'll have to suffer my disobedience.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2007, 06:38:57 PM »

The only thing that makes a minority a minority, in my eyes, is the fact that there are racial discrepancies.? And it's all relative.? Blacks are a minority in America, but not in Nigeria, for example.? I don't think God "ordained" that, so much as it's a fact of how the world currently works.

I see what you're saying...and I'm not being too mean in my discussions, out of respect for the dead.? Notice that I'm not the one saying he's burning in Hell or anything like that.?

I just wish people who command the audience he did would use it to preach positive messages about how to treat your fellow man, even if you disagree with their lifestyles, actions, or beliefs.? Personally, I don't worry about whether homosexuality is a sin, because I'm not gay.? Either way, I don't think God would want me to persecute or harass gay people and, if that IS what God wants, then he'll have to suffer my disobedience.

I wasn't pointing that comment about disrespecting someone who died towards you. While I sometimes disagree with some of your views I enjoy reading your posts becuae you don;t make blind statements like the Burning in Hell comment.
Sorry if you took it that way.
I also agree with your statment about being in that position and choosing your words and messages carefully.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2007, 06:41:24 PM »

I wasn't pointing that comment about disrespecting someone who died towards you. While I sometimes disagree with some of your views I enjoy reading your posts becuae you don;t make blind statements like the Burning in Hell comment.
Sorry if you took it that way.

Oh, I didn't take it that way.  I'm not that sensitive and/or PC.  hihi

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2007, 07:00:22 PM »

Though I don't care that he died, I wouldn't go so far as to say he deserved to die.  That's something he would say.  You know, like he did shortly after 9/11:

"God continues to lift the curtain and allow the enemies of America to give us probably what we deserve."

A lot of respect he showed for the dead right there, huh?
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2007, 09:52:12 PM »

I didn't see such hateful comments when Saddam Hussein was executed, and I doubt the people in this thread would care as much if Osama Bin Laden died.

Do you really believe the shit you write?  Seriously.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: