Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 10:57:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Is it possible.....
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is it possible.....  (Read 43326 times)
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #180 on: May 05, 2008, 10:47:28 AM »

U2 and Guns & Roses are two completely different groups. Yeah U2 have been around more in the charts and release more material but that's because they are controlled by their record company. U2 is not just about the four guys on stage. It's a corporation now. G&R are the complete opposite. They are not an industry group. You can't compare these two groups in any category because they are from the opposite spectrums of music. Guns are like Pink Floyd in the sense that they are outside the music industry. Their not puppets for the Record industry to command. Led Zepp was the same way. Axl and whoever is in company with him don't play the game of lying down and submitting to dictations of the record companies. Bono on the other hand is a hand puppet. When U2's manangement and record company tells them to jump......they jump.  U2's first couple of albums really didn't have much success until they released Joshua Tree. If it wasn't for that album they probably would of been dropped and you and I would have never heard of them again. Guns first album took off like a rocket. That says allot about the difference between U2 and Guns!!!!
Anyway....like the author of this thread said....it was about the up and coming releases of the G&R.......watch out..........it could be the big come-back. And if it is. I can tell you allot of groups that are signed now are probably going to have to start looking for jobs........ peace
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #181 on: May 05, 2008, 12:30:29 PM »

U2 and Guns & Roses are two completely different groups. Yeah U2 have been around more in the charts and release more material but that's because they are controlled by their record company. U2 is not just about the four guys on stage. It's a corporation now. G&R are the complete opposite. They are not an industry group. You can't compare these two groups in any category because they are from the opposite spectrums of music. Guns are like Pink Floyd in the sense that they are outside the music industry. Their not puppets for the Record industry to command. Led Zepp was the same way. Axl and whoever is in company with him don't play the game of lying down and submitting to dictations of the record companies. Bono on the other hand is a hand puppet. When U2's manangement and record company tells them to jump......they jump.  U2's first couple of albums really didn't have much success until they released Joshua Tree. If it wasn't for that album they probably would of been dropped and you and I would have never heard of them again. Guns first album took off like a rocket. That says allot about the difference between U2 and Guns!!!!
Anyway....like the author of this thread said....it was about the up and coming releases of the G&R.......watch out..........it could be the big come-back. And if it is. I can tell you allot of groups that are signed now are probably going to have to start looking for jobs........ peace

What??

You're telling me you believe that if and when GNR release an album, it's going to cause such a big comeback that several other groups will actually loose their entire fanbase?

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #182 on: May 05, 2008, 01:04:26 PM »

It's possible. That's the power of Guns & Roses. Many people underestimate G&R. For me there's really nothing out there right now that's really stirring up the music business. Groups come and go so fast it's like the price of gasoline going up and down. Hey.....this is a Guns & Roses sight. If you've got doubts supporting G&R......there are plenty of Britney Spear sights and rapp-hip hop sights you can go support. Or you can go support alternative-alternative-rock group sights. We're here to pay homage to Guns & Roses.....period.  smoking
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #183 on: May 05, 2008, 01:16:32 PM »

You know it's possible to like other bands at the same time, right?

Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #184 on: May 05, 2008, 03:51:52 PM »

You know it's possible to like other bands at the same time, right?

Yes. There are other groups I like too. There's nothing wrong with that. But sometimes I've noticed there are sights created for a paticular group (in this case G&R) and some log in and post negative put downs of a group. Now if it's just jokin around that's alright. But I can never understand if someone (and I'm not pointing fingers here) doesn't like a group for what ever reason than why even join that sight. I joined this sight because I'm pro-Guns & Roses. That's all.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #185 on: May 05, 2008, 10:51:55 PM »

Their not puppets for the Record industry to command.

thats why there has been negotiations for going on a year and a half with the record apparently in the Label's hands ... yeah your right guns do seem to be able to force the label to do what they want  hihi

russtcb
Legend

« Reply #186 on: May 06, 2008, 08:13:43 AM »

It's possible. That's the power of Guns & Roses. Many people underestimate G&R. For me there's really nothing out there right now that's really stirring up the music business. Groups come and go so fast it's like the price of gasoline going up and down. Hey.....this is a Guns & Roses sight. If you've got doubts supporting G&R......there are plenty of Britney Spear sights and rapp-hip hop sights you can go support. Or you can go support alternative-alternative-rock group sights. We're here to pay homage to Guns & Roses.....period.  smoking

No. This is a Guns N' Roses site and we're here to discuss them. Even if we were to only "pay homage" to them, there's a difference between that and what you're suggesting.

I'm a fan of Guns N' Roses and I discuss them quite frequently at length. Do I believe that their return if and when they release an album will put multiple other artists out of a job? No. That also doesn't mean that I should go listen to and support Britney Spears, it just means I live in reality.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #187 on: May 06, 2008, 08:34:12 AM »

Their not puppets for the Record industry to command.

thats why there has been negotiations for going on a year and a half with the record apparently in the Label's hands ... yeah your right guns do seem to be able to force the label to do what they want  hihi

Is the label forcing Axl to do what they want then?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #188 on: May 06, 2008, 09:10:49 AM »

Record labels strive on controlling an artist. It's their way of having power over a group. Axl speaks of this in his lyrics in you can be mine. Hey you can either be a leader or a puppet in the music industry. I doubt you will ever see Axl in a commercial like the current one of Justin Tiberland. To me an Artist should have total control of his career. This is the reality. My vote is I hope these new releases does put allot of bands out. It's time to get rid of these 'want to be' groups who are so un-talented it makes me laugh.
If you think it's not possible. Let's go back to circa 1991 before Nirvana arrived. Record companies signed about a dozen of so metal-acts. Yeah you remember them. Poison. Warrant, Cinderella.....and the list goes on. Nirvana hits the scene and what happen to all of these hair-bands...............gone. Now their lucky if they can fill a modern size club. So I don't know what reality you want to live in. But I know what I'm talking about because I've done the research.
Here's another dose of reality. In 1980 Led Zep put out in through the Out door. Nobody in the industry thought that it was going to sell. Surprise. They sold 10 million. And also gave a huge boost in record sales for other artists. Reality?  rofl
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #189 on: May 06, 2008, 11:24:13 AM »

Record labels strive on controlling an artist. It's their way of having power over a group. Axl speaks of this in his lyrics in you can be mine. Hey you can either be a leader or a puppet in the music industry. I doubt you will ever see Axl in a commercial like the current one of Justin Tiberland. To me an Artist should have total control of his career. This is the reality. My vote is I hope these new releases does put allot of bands out. It's time to get rid of these 'want to be' groups who are so un-talented it makes me laugh.
If you think it's not possible. Let's go back to circa 1991 before Nirvana arrived. Record companies signed about a dozen of so metal-acts. Yeah you remember them. Poison. Warrant, Cinderella.....and the list goes on. Nirvana hits the scene and what happen to all of these hair-bands...............gone. Now their lucky if they can fill a modern size club. So I don't know what reality you want to live in. But I know what I'm talking about because I've done the research.
Here's another dose of reality. In 1980 Led Zep put out in through the Out door. Nobody in the industry thought that it was going to sell. Surprise. They sold 10 million. And also gave a huge boost in record sales for other artists. Reality?  rofl

Yeah, I remember that.

Do you remember what happened after Nirvana got signed? There was a bunch of other bands signed just like them; Candlebox, Pearl Jam, STP, Silverchair... on and on and on. And at the same time guess who was around?? GUNS N' ROSES.

Point is, just because GNR produces an album it doesn't make the rest of the music world disappear.

Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #190 on: May 06, 2008, 02:29:58 PM »

No it doesn't mean they'll disappear. But I hope they do. The record business is at an all time slump right now. I know this because I've spokend with people who work in the industry. Everyone is playing it safe. Even bands who are not working with the majors are finding it very hard to keep their head above the water. It's disheartening that music has become too much business oriented. Yes the bands somehow need to make a living. But originally it was about making fantastic music that will leave a mark on society now and later into the future.
You have to realise that this is not just my point of view. This is the word I've been hearing from both sides of the fence. Bands, musicians, songwriters and management industry people who are in the music business.
The industry was already on a downward slope pre-2001. Than it started accelerating even more after 2001.
Alot of young teenagers are going back to listening to what their parents were into because the current music is not cutting it. Yes they start off with the newer groups but they soon realise that it's not cutting the mustard. So they are going back to the what modern rockers call "Classic Rock".
This is what is currently going on. I'm actually very happy that the new generation are getting wise to what is great music and what is fabricated silicone. They deserve to be turned on to great music and not computerised mumbo jumbo. And why not? I grew up listening to some of the most greatest music that has value and more bang for the buck. Why shouldn't the new generation receive the same. beer
surforia
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #191 on: May 06, 2008, 03:05:07 PM »

No it doesn't mean they'll disappear. But I hope they do. The record business is at an all time slump right now. I know this because I've spokend with people who work in the industry. Everyone is playing it safe. Even bands who are not working with the majors are finding it very hard to keep their head above the water. It's disheartening that music has become too much business oriented. Yes the bands somehow need to make a living. But originally it was about making fantastic music that will leave a mark on society now and later into the future.
You have to realise that this is not just my point of view. This is the word I've been hearing from both sides of the fence. Bands, musicians, songwriters and management industry people who are in the music business.
The industry was already on a downward slope pre-2001. Than it started accelerating even more after 2001.
Alot of young teenagers are going back to listening to what their parents were into because the current music is not cutting it. Yes they start off with the newer groups but they soon realise that it's not cutting the mustard. So they are going back to the what modern rockers call "Classic Rock".
This is what is currently going on. I'm actually very happy that the new generation are getting wise to what is great music and what is fabricated silicone. They deserve to be turned on to great music and not computerised mumbo jumbo. And why not? I grew up listening to some of the most greatest music that has value and more bang for the buck. Why shouldn't the new generation receive the same. beer

I agree with some of this, but you're forgetting something vitally important. 

You're talking about a radical change in music.  This is what's referred to as a "cultural movement."  Each generation has it's own cultural movements, but cultural movements are inspired by the young and disenfranchised of that generation.  When Appetite came out, Gn'R were the young and disenfranchised.  Same case with Nirvana, the Sex Pistols, Led Zepplin, and even the Beatles.  All those bands started cultural movements that both existed within and transcended music.  The successive generation may appreciate the artists of their successors, but they will not identify with them - and thus these artists, like Gn'R, will not be able to ignite a new cultural movement from the young and disenfranchised. 

I'm not saying that Gn'R can't be huge again, but Chinese Democracy, no matter how sick it is, will not transform music and wipe out all the crappy pop music that exists today (no matter how much we all want it to).
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #192 on: May 06, 2008, 03:21:21 PM »

In GUNS N' ROSES & Chinese Democracy, Only Work.... MASTERSMIND:

" Brianiac, The General, Finck, AXL, Pitman, May, Wylde, Izzy & Others "

The Album = Music Revolution.

HBK *

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Gunsnroses-now
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #193 on: May 06, 2008, 03:37:03 PM »

No. The album may sell well, but it's not going to make GN'R anything close to what they were in the 89-93 period. As a mix-mash of music styles from the 80s-90s with a band that will never gain the image of a "true band" it won't revolutionize. Not to mention it'll be a guy in his 40s leading the show... people in their 40s don't start revolutions in the music world, creatively or sales-wise, anyway.
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #194 on: May 06, 2008, 03:58:05 PM »

First of all, everyone knows the music industry has been in a downward trend for years and years. None of that has anything to do with GN'R or whether they'll put other bands out of jobs by releasing a new album.

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #195 on: May 06, 2008, 04:01:41 PM »

GNR have Fans Classics  & New Genereation...

GNR is Music Experimental, Evolution... NOT Band Predescibly.

hbk *

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

ToonGuns
Headliner

Invest in those memories!

« Reply #196 on: May 06, 2008, 04:05:01 PM »

HBK *

No offense... but why are your posts always half nonsense?!!

Chinese Democracy = Revolution (I hope!!!)

A bad day in Rock N Roll is better than a good day at work!

Leeds Festival, UK - 23/08/2002
Download Festival, UK - 11/06/2006
Newcastle Arena, UK - 19/07/2006
Nottingham Arena, UK - 19/05/2012
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #197 on: May 06, 2008, 04:23:45 PM »

HBK *

Only half?

I agree with some of this, but you're forgetting something vitally important. 

You're talking about a radical change in music.  This is what's referred to as a "cultural movement."  Each generation has it's own cultural movements, but cultural movements are inspired by the young and disenfranchised of that generation.  When Appetite came out, Gn'R were the young and disenfranchised.  Same case with Nirvana, the Sex Pistols, Led Zepplin, and even the Beatles.  All those bands started cultural movements that both existed within and transcended music.  The successive generation may appreciate the artists of their successors, but they will not identify with them - and thus these artists, like Gn'R, will not be able to ignite a new cultural movement from the young and disenfranchised. 

I'm not saying that Gn'R can't be huge again, but Chinese Democracy, no matter how sick it is, will not transform music and wipe out all the crappy pop music that exists today (no matter how much we all want it to).

It is possible for people to come out with really important and popular music without it being a "cultural movement".  The Seattle bands got people going out and buying flannel shirts and that scene got associated with fashion and politics and a bunch of shit that really had nothing to do with the music.  Ultimately those things were trends that went away.  Fairly quickly too.

Why can't we just say Guns was a great band with some great tunes and leave all this "cultural significance" out of it?

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #198 on: May 06, 2008, 04:29:06 PM »

HBK *

I No Offense  Smiley

Yes... REVOLUTION In The Mercade.

HBK *

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #199 on: May 06, 2008, 04:32:33 PM »

HBK *

To be fair:

HBK does not have English as his first language yet he seems to post more common sense than alot of people.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: