Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 10:37:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Is it possible.....
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is it possible.....  (Read 43275 times)
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #200 on: May 06, 2008, 05:38:51 PM »

In GUNS N' ROSES & Chinese Democracy, Only Work.... MASTERSMIND:

" Brianiac, The General, Finck, AXL, Pitman, May, Wylde, Izzy & Others "

The Album = Music Revolution.

HBK *

No offense... but why are your posts always half nonsense?!!

Chinese Democracy = Revolution (I hope!!!)

Only half?

I agree with some of this, but you're forgetting something vitally important. 

You're talking about a radical change in music.  This is what's referred to as a "cultural movement."  Each generation has it's own cultural movements, but cultural movements are inspired by the young and disenfranchised of that generation.  When Appetite came out, Gn'R were the young and disenfranchised.  Same case with Nirvana, the Sex Pistols, Led Zepplin, and even the Beatles.  All those bands started cultural movements that both existed within and transcended music.  The successive generation may appreciate the artists of their successors, but they will not identify with them - and thus these artists, like Gn'R, will not be able to ignite a new cultural movement from the young and disenfranchised. 

I'm not saying that Gn'R can't be huge again, but Chinese Democracy, no matter how sick it is, will not transform music and wipe out all the crappy pop music that exists today (no matter how much we all want it to).

It is possible for people to come out with really important and popular music without it being a "cultural movement".  The Seattle bands got people going out and buying flannel shirts and that scene got associated with fashion and politics and a bunch of shit that really had nothing to do with the music.  Ultimately those things were trends that went away.  Fairly quickly too.

Why can't we just say Guns was a great band with some great tunes and leave all this "cultural significance" out of it?

That's what I'd like to know.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
surforia
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #201 on: May 06, 2008, 10:03:23 PM »

HBK *

Only half?

I agree with some of this, but you're forgetting something vitally important. 

You're talking about a radical change in music.  This is what's referred to as a "cultural movement."  Each generation has it's own cultural movements, but cultural movements are inspired by the young and disenfranchised of that generation.  When Appetite came out, Gn'R were the young and disenfranchised.  Same case with Nirvana, the Sex Pistols, Led Zepplin, and even the Beatles.  All those bands started cultural movements that both existed within and transcended music.  The successive generation may appreciate the artists of their successors, but they will not identify with them - and thus these artists, like Gn'R, will not be able to ignite a new cultural movement from the young and disenfranchised. 

I'm not saying that Gn'R can't be huge again, but Chinese Democracy, no matter how sick it is, will not transform music and wipe out all the crappy pop music that exists today (no matter how much we all want it to).

It is possible for people to come out with really important and popular music without it being a "cultural movement".  The Seattle bands got people going out and buying flannel shirts and that scene got associated with fashion and politics and a bunch of shit that really had nothing to do with the music.  Ultimately those things were trends that went away.  Fairly quickly too.

Why can't we just say Guns was a great band with some great tunes and leave all this "cultural significance" out of it?

That's what I'd like to know.

Yes, of course you can come out with "really important and popular music," but people are talking "musical revolution" here.  A "musical revolution" is culturally significant whether you like it or not.  And, again, these types of movements are sparked by artists with which the young and disenfranchised identify.  Nirvana and the Seattle bands are no exception.  That being said, I think Gn'R will still be able to sell out stadiums, but I don't think Chinese Democracy can single handedly change music the way Appetite or Nevermind did (though I wish it would).
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #202 on: May 06, 2008, 10:28:37 PM »

Their not puppets for the Record industry to command.

thats why there has been negotiations for going on a year and a half with the record apparently in the Label's hands ... yeah your right guns do seem to be able to force the label to do what they want  hihi

Is the label forcing Axl to do what they want then?

Axl? or Guns N Roses? ....i thought this was a band  Tongue

anyway since Axl is under contract to the Label then i think they have the upper hand yes...

are they getting thier way? since we dont have the album yet, i would say no.... more than likely it will end up with some sort of compromise between the 2 parties...

do i care ultimately what the deal is between them? no not really,

Mr. Bitch Slap Rappin seems to imply that Axl is calling the shots in the negotiatons i tend to disagree...do i know for sure? no its just a guess on my part. the label has sunk alot of cash into this project and i think they are gonna try to maximize their return and minimize the amount of further $$$ they put into the project...and if axl had the upper hand and he handed in the masters before xmas 07 and according to axl it takes 8 weeks to release the album after the label has it then why are we still waiting for the album 18 weeks after said album was handed in....somethign doesnt add up for me here Undecided

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #203 on: May 06, 2008, 10:40:26 PM »

HBK *

To be fair:

HBK does not have English as his first language yet he seems to post more common sense than alot of people.

mysteron are you saying that you think CD will cause a musical revolution? do you really beleive that?

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #204 on: May 07, 2008, 01:06:15 AM »

HBK *

To be fair:

HBK does not have English as his first language yet he seems to post more common sense than alot of people.

mysteron are you saying that you think CD will cause a musical revolution? do you really beleive that?

Not, He Says:

To be fair:

ok

HBK *

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #205 on: May 07, 2008, 04:48:46 AM »

Here's another dose of reality. In 1980 Led Zep put out in through the Out door. Nobody in the industry thought that it was going to sell. Surprise. They sold 10 million. And also gave a huge boost in record sales for other artists. Reality?  rofl

Though, probably irrelevent, a lot of fans, and critics, panned "In Through The Out Door". Just as they did "Presence". Of course, I thought "Presence" sucked, but I loved ITTOD.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #206 on: May 07, 2008, 08:27:58 AM »

HBK *

To be fair:

Not, He Says:

To be fair:

ok

HBK *

I don't think he had a problem reading the original post.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #207 on: May 07, 2008, 09:12:20 AM »

and if axl had the upper hand and he handed in the masters before xmas 07 and according to axl it takes 8 weeks to release the album after the label has it then why are we still waiting for the album 18 weeks after said album was handed in....somethign doesnt add up for me here Undecided

Assumptions from you.

Their last update said negotiations are going well, nothing about the masters.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #208 on: May 07, 2008, 12:32:06 PM »

and if axl had the upper hand and he handed in the masters before xmas 07 and according to axl it takes 8 weeks to release the album after the label has it then why are we still waiting for the album 18 weeks after said album was handed in....somethign doesnt add up for me here Undecided

Assumptions from you.

Their last update said negotiations are going well, nothing about the masters.

/jarmo

ok so is the album handed into the label or not? ....i thought that "everybody knows that" or am i missing something  confused since Beta said that the Album has been handed in before christmas and its been said that "the ball is in the labels court" and the album doesnt havea set release date yet that the average fan knows about, i'm assuming that negotiations are still on going... a couple weeks ago you argued with me till you were blue in the face that the album is handed in cuz beta said so, now you are telling me that i'm making assumptions...make up your mind already

i dunno why your giving me a hard time on this cuz i am not making any outlandish claims here...bitchslaprappin is pretty much saying that axl is calling the shots with the label...i just disagree with him for the reasons i've stated

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #209 on: May 07, 2008, 12:36:30 PM »

ok so is the album handed into the label or not? ....i thought that "everybody knows that" or am i missing something  confused since Beta said that the Album has been handed in before christmas and its been said that "the ball is in the labels court" and the album doesnt havea set release date yet that the average fan knows about, i'm assuming that negotiations are still on going... a couple weeks ago you argued with me till you were blue in the face that the album is handed in cuz beta said so, now you are telling me that i'm making assumptions...make up your mind already

As far as I remember, she never said that.

You seem confused about two things. The album being done and the album being handed in. Two different things.

It's done.

As far as I know, nobody credible has stated it having been handed in to the label.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #210 on: May 07, 2008, 01:18:17 PM »

Beta Says:

" Disc Is In universal Before X.Mas "

Mr. James Says:

" In Bussiness "

And realese Recient: ONLY 6 Songs...

I Is Confussions !!!

Angry Angry Angry

HBK *

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #211 on: May 07, 2008, 01:21:35 PM »

smoking Get ready for the Night Train to run again...........
Just a short question.....what current rock groups do some of you Gunners and Gunnets like........
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #212 on: May 07, 2008, 01:25:23 PM »

Beta Says:

No she didn't.

/jarmo

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #213 on: May 07, 2008, 01:31:04 PM »

Beta Says:

No she didn't.

/jarmo

She Says:

" Disc Is Finished " ?

HBK *

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #214 on: May 07, 2008, 01:49:44 PM »

Beta Says:

No she didn't.

/jarmo

She Says:

" Disc Is Finished " ?

HBK *

And what did you say?

Saying it's finished and saying it's been delivered to the record company are two different things.

/jarmo

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #215 on: May 07, 2008, 01:51:47 PM »

yea i understood that the negotiations meant they are working out the details so that the band can hand the record over..
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #216 on: May 07, 2008, 02:18:12 PM »

Beta Says:

No she didn't.

/jarmo

She Says:

" Disc Is Finished " ?

HBK *

And what did you say?

Saying it's finished and saying it's been delivered to the record company are two different things.

/jarmo

From BETA Interview.

HBK *

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #217 on: May 07, 2008, 02:21:02 PM »

yea i understood that the negotiations meant they are working out the details so that the band can hand the record over..

Then GNR Updating This Music ...

smoking

HBK *

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

ToonGuns
Headliner

Invest in those memories!

« Reply #218 on: May 07, 2008, 02:38:57 PM »

I thought we'd had confirmation that the record has been "handed in"?

Have I missed something?   Undecided

A bad day in Rock N Roll is better than a good day at work!

Leeds Festival, UK - 23/08/2002
Download Festival, UK - 11/06/2006
Newcastle Arena, UK - 19/07/2006
Nottingham Arena, UK - 19/05/2012
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #219 on: May 07, 2008, 03:15:03 PM »

I thought we'd had confirmation that the record has been "handed in"?

Have I missed something?   Undecided

As far as I know, the rumor started with an article claiming so.

But nothing has been said by any reliable sources.

/jarmo

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: