Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 08:57:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228062 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  The 2008/2009 NBA season thread
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 47 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 2008/2009 NBA season thread  (Read 163077 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #160 on: January 11, 2009, 12:07:13 AM »

Dude, Kobe got into the playoffs, and took Phoenix to the brink, with Smush Parker and Kwame Brown as starters for cryin out loud. Where are they now?

And I gave Kobe credit for that just like I bashed him for only shooting 3 times in the 2nd half. they were down but Phoenix are so shitty on D, u never know, they could've fought back.

Just saying, u put Wade or Lebron on those Laker teams, they still win 3 titles, Hell they may have even won more cause they would've deferred more to Shaq.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
fito_gnr
Headliner

« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2009, 01:26:17 AM »

Kobe and Lebron are the best players in the world period. I prefer Kobe because of his style of play, and because he is a Laker!! the way he tries to do whatever is needed to win a game. Lebron is a different type of player, he is big and he uses his size and atheleticism pretty well, and you can see that he wants to win every game. But Kobe is just more fun to watch, the moves, his jumpshot, etc. I also think Kobe is more clutch, I saw lebron miss too many clutch shots at the end of games compare to Kobe.
And Kobe has the rings, it doesn't matter if it was with Shaq or not, he has those and he was a major part in that  championship team, and I know that he's going to get another one this year ok

You can't compare Lebron to MJ, Lebron never shot 50%from the field in any season while MJ did that in an entire carreer!!  and the six championships,  MVPs, defensive player of the year, once lebron's is about to retire then you can compare him to MJ but it's just to soon right now

?it?s a fire you can?t stop it?s ROCK N?ROLL?
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2009, 02:21:50 AM »

Yeah, people get old.  The legendary Larry Hughes isn't immune to that.

Good for DeLonte.  That's what should happen to young players who show they can play.  It's all a part of professional sports!

You say Kobe won those titles with Shaq, but who did Shaq win those titles with?  Obviously not Glen Rice or Ron Harper.

Shaq had Penny Hardaway in '95 and they lost to the 6th seeded Houston Rockets.  Pathetic.  They were swept and they had homecourt advantage to boot.

It's not fucking stealing Pau Gasol when the Grizzlies are stupid enough to trade him for nothing.  It would be stupid if they didn't take the deal.  Boo hoo cry me a river.  They wouldn't even need Gasol if Bynum hadn't gone down with his injury.

Hahahahahahaha you could score 8 points with Lebron just like you can write better music than Robin Finck!  That one still gets me everytime! rofl

Good job shoving Lamar Odom in our face.  Yeah, he's an excellent ballplayer!  rofl

Just about anyone could have come out in the Leastern Conference and been demolished unless they were the Pistons, or a Miami team with Shaq.  It wouldn't have mattered.  Lebron got swept in the Finals by the Spurs.  Embarrassing.

Fuck anyone who compares Kobe or Lebron to Michael Jordan.  It's impossible.

Air Jordan > The Black Mamba and King Gaymes put together.

All day.

Any day.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2009, 07:56:39 PM »

Dude, I honestly don't know what your problem is, but u have tons of hostility that pisses me off.

The Robin Finck thing, what the fuck has he ever done? U answer me that? He plays music written by somebody else! WOW give that guy a fucking cookie.

How hard is it to have Axl Fucking Rose sing over your music and make it sound amazing? Axl would make anybody sound great.

U give me the equipment and u give him the equipment

I stand by what I say. So u can basically drop it. I don't care about or value your opinion at all. seriously.

its funny when people try to hate on me when they don't realize the difference in million dollar studios and producers compared to doing it yourself at home on a 500 dollar 8 track and crappy instruments.

Please point me to ONE song where he wrote vocals,melodies,lyrics,drums,synth and did all the arranging and producing?  If u can't SHUT UP! Thank u!

onto basketball:  Who said anybody was better than Micheal Jordan? I said Lebron is the closest we will get to Micheal Jordan.

U are the one that sounds like the retard on here talking shit about Leborn James.  Have you never even seen the fucking guy play?

Hell, u probably think Allen Iverson or Vince Carter are better than Lebron James.

LOL @ u thinking Andrew Bynum is better than Pau Gasol. Gasol is a 20-8 guy, Bynum is still learning the position.Gasol is one of the best big men in the league and they got him for Kwame Brown.

If they didnt get Gasol, they wouldn't have made the finals, I guarantee u that.

Shaq was also very young in 95 and lost to Hakeem Olajuwon who at the time was by far the best player in the league. He also took a young pup named Dywane Wade to a championship and who the fuck else was on that team but Wade? Antoine Walker.............. So please.

Lamar Odom isn't my favorite player, but he is better than anybody Lebron has not named Mo Williams.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 08:24:26 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #164 on: January 11, 2009, 08:48:02 PM »

No D, I have never seen Lebron play.

Ever.  Not once.

Nah, I've made my feelings clear on Iverson in the past.  Axl'sMainMan can attest to that.  Same with Carter.  He's a fantastic dunker, but he quit on the Raptors.  Not my problem.

Yeah, Bynum is a better, more physical player than Gasol.  Without Bynum, the Lakers lose to the Celtics.  But if you saw the Christmas game, you know that Bynum made the difference inside on toughness and defense.  Gasol remains soft and lacks the toughness needed to go far.

Yeah, without Bynum and Gasol the Lakers wouldn't have gone far.  You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that out.  Errrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #165 on: January 11, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »

I completely agree with the Bynum/Gasol debate.  Pau may put up some good numbers but he is the SOFTEST big man in the history of the game.  OK, maybe that's an overstatement, but the man is soft.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #166 on: January 11, 2009, 09:26:52 PM »

I completely agree with the Bynum/Gasol debate.  Pau may put up some good numbers but he is the SOFTEST big man in the history of the game.  OK, maybe that's an overstatement, but the man is soft.

Snuggle soft.

w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #167 on: January 11, 2009, 09:31:58 PM »

Snuggle soft.

now thats soft  hihi
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #168 on: January 12, 2009, 01:16:32 AM »

If they didnt get Gasol, they wouldn't have made the finals, I guarantee u that.
  Well, the week Bynum went down, Lakers had the best record in the west and were torching everyone. Bynum going down caused the Lakers to get Pau.  What Im trying to say is, we still could have easily made the finals w/o Pau if Bynum didnt go down. 
fito_gnr
Headliner

« Reply #169 on: January 12, 2009, 01:39:10 AM »

Well, the week Bynum went down, Lakers had the best record in the west and were torching everyone. Bynum going down caused the Lakers to get Pau.  What Im trying to say is, we still could have easily made the finals w/o Pau if Bynum didnt go down. 
[/quote]

I think that too, Bynum was incredible and playing like an all-star for that month.
he is playing great the last 4 games. if he's going to get back to where he was a year ago the Lakers are unstoppable!!

fito_gnr
Headliner

« Reply #170 on: January 12, 2009, 01:44:18 AM »

damn!! I suck in quoting Tongue

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #171 on: January 13, 2009, 08:28:56 PM »

No Artest vs Kobe tonight.

Figures.
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #172 on: January 14, 2009, 12:13:32 AM »

It was still a good game though. Battier is always an entertaining match-up with Kobe.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #173 on: January 14, 2009, 07:59:22 AM »

I don't what you guys are talking about....

Gasol is an european player. Big european players are slightly different than big american players.

It amazes me why some of you would just judge a player based on whether he is tough or soft. Gasol is not the toughest player in the NBA I'll give you that, but he is definitely one of the best power forwards in the league. The guy averages 18 and 10 every night + almost 4 assists. Give him some credit.

He runs the court well, handles the ball, he's got an understanding of the game that most power forwards in the league don't have. See, a good power foward is not about just dunking every time he gets a chance. A good PF creates opportunities for his teammates when he gets double team, a good PF understands the basics of a pick and roll, a good PF shoots for 15-20 feet if he has too, a good power foward sees what's the best option just by looking at his opponent defense...

Gasol is all that. Yes he is not your Amare Stoudemire type of player, but basketball is more than strength and muscle.

Now, I don't think Bynum HAS EVER been double teamed, I don't think Bynum will ever make a field goal from 10 feet or beyond, I don't think Bynum understands what a pick and roll is and I don't think he ever will. Yes he's young, very young...that's why he's still far behind Pau's contribution to the Lakers.

Oh, and against the Celtis on Xmas day he was the one who saved the day in the end by scoring 7 of the last 9 lakers points. Funny how some of you comment on Bynum defense was key yo win that match...Gasol won that match for the lakers and that's all there's to it.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #174 on: January 14, 2009, 03:19:26 PM »

WRONG

Bynum kept the Lakers in the game.

The Celtics were silly enough to let Pau take some open shots.  They had no respect for him because they saw how he folded up like an umbrella during the Finals.

You can be a great European PF and put up great numbers, but if you are soft, you will not win a championship.

Just ask two-time Academy Award winner Vlade Divac.

Bynum makes his low percentage shots, believe me.  The fact that he doesn't always have to shoot from out there is a testament to his inside presence.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #175 on: January 15, 2009, 03:57:36 AM »

WRONG

I'm speechless now.  That was simply brilliant Roll Eyes

The Celtics were silly enough to let Pau take some open shots.  They had no respect for him because they saw how he folded up like an umbrella during the Finals.

WRONG.

The Celtics doubled team Kobe. Kobe looked for Gasol and he took care of business. He made one jumper and two field goalds where he was aggressive enough to go for it. Garnett couldn't stop him and fauled him.

Oh and Gasol also blocked Ray Allen's last three point attemp.

So yeah, Bynum was on the floor when that happened...I guess his "presence" won that game by itself.

That's what all teams should do from now on...there's no need to be clutch player anymore if you have a BYNUM in your team...he'll win matches with his presence.  hihi

You can be a great European PF and put up great numbers, but if you are soft, you will not win a championship.

Just ask two-time Academy Award winner Vlade Divac.

Give me a break...Vlade averaged 11 points and 7 rebounds in his entired career...Go look at Gasol's career stats and see the difference.

Bynum makes his low percentage shots, believe me.  The fact that he doesn't always have to shoot from out there is a testament to his inside presence.

Bynum doesnt know how to do anything else other than just dunks or easy lay ups. Look at all time greatest power forwards and see what they have in common...they did also good outside the paint; Duncan, Garnett, Nowinsky, Mchale, Karl Malone, Barkley...they were COMPLETE players regardless their "presence" .

Bynum has a long way to go still...
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #176 on: January 15, 2009, 04:32:47 AM »

You are exhibiting a pure case of jingoism and it is blinding you from the FACTS.

Gasol had one good game against Boston.  He still has to prove he can do great things like that when it counts.  No Laker or NBA fan from outside of Spain has forgotten how he was reduced to NOTHING in June.  He wasn't good enough to play with the ladies of the WNBA.  Those girls would have eaten him alive.

Sure dude.  Bynum's defense kept L.A. in a position to win the game. 

It's been said that the Lakers would have done better against Boston if they had a true big man in the paint.

Having that big body makes a big difference.

Gasol's stats look good because he was a star on a terrible team.

And on your last point, SO WHAT?!!?  Bynum is a center, not a power forward.  Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Oscar Robertson etc did not have to go out in the perimeter! How do you think they accumulated all those points, awards, and championships?

That's right.  Cheap ass dunks and layups.

Heaven forbid someone doesn't attempt a three-pointer on every possession. 

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #177 on: January 15, 2009, 09:27:04 AM »

You are exhibiting a pure case of jingoism and it is blinding you from the FACTS.

Funny you talk about facts.

First of all you rely your whole argument in pure intangibles. Talking about Bynum's presence blah blah..you want facts? Go look Gasol's and Bynum's season stats right now and you'll be able to see the actual facts.

Also, Bynum's is so vital to the lakers that even Phil Jackson seats him down when it matters the most. Did you know Bynum complained before christmas because he wasn't on the floor during clutch time? For such a vital player like Bynum , I'm guessing Phil Jackson believes it'd be unfair for the other teams if Bynum was on the floor during decisive minutes...that'd be too much of an edge for the lakers that no team in the league could handle  Roll Eyes.

And on your last point, SO WHAT?!!?  Bynum is a center, not a power forward.  Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Oscar Robertson etc did not have to go out in the perimeter! How do you think they accumulated all those points, awards, and championships?

You mean Oscar "The Big O" Robertson? Sure man, he may have been a CENTER (in juniot HIGH), but while he played on the NBA he was a point/shooting guard.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 09:28:58 AM by Ignatius » Logged
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #178 on: January 15, 2009, 10:08:02 AM »

Cuban-Karl war of words erupts after elbow incident

By JAN HUBBARD

DALLAS ? Mark Cuban and Denver Nuggets coach George Karl have agreed to disagree on the seriousness of the elbow that J.R. Smith threw at Antoine Wright on Tuesday in Denver.

Cuban notified security at halftime of the Denver-Dallas game and he said the NBA was in the process of reviewing the tape. Cuban has no doubt what is going to happen:

"He [Smith] is going to get suspended," Cuban said.

In Denver, however, Karl told reporters that it was "a lot of ..."

Karl said the play was "something that happens almost every game. There was no contact. It wasn?t even close."

Cuban said it does not matter.

"Throwing an elbow is no different than throwing a punch," Cuban said. "In fact, it can be more deadly. The league has always said it?s about the intent. You can?t throw an elbow."

Karl was also upset about Cuban saying something to Smith. But Cuban said he was merely on the court in front of the bench at halftime and Smith came over.

"Stay away from my players," Karl said. "Stay off the court. Don?t get involved. Don?t tell me you?ve done it before. If you?ve done it before, it was wrong before and it?s wrong now."

But Cuban said interacting with opposing players is hardly new.

"We got guys from the other team walking into our locker room," Cuban said. "What are [they] going to say? 'Player?s in the locker room: Cuban leave.? "

The league office has yet to make an announcement on the matter.

Better than baseball?

Before the game, Mark Cuban was asked about the upcoming 25th anniversary for David Stern, who took over as NBA commissioner in February 1984.

Stern has been given credit for saving the league, although the idea that there would have been no major pro basketball league in North America without him is a little far-fetched.

But no doubt Stern took full advantage of what is known in the corporate world as assets and is known in the basketball world as Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and Michael Jordan.

Cuban and Stern have had their run-ins, but Stern at least did not interfere when Cuban tried to buy the Mavericks.

Cuban wanted to buy the Chicago Cubs, but many reports indicated Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig was adamantly opposed to the move.

So how good has Stern been?

"I put him ahead of Major League Baseball," Cuban said, almost with a straight face.

Tough task ahead

The schedule gets no easier for the Mavericks. After a day off today and practice Friday, they play the Utah Jazz at home Saturday.

A four-game road trip to Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Detroit and Boston is followed by a home game against Don Nelson and Golden State. Then it?s off for two more games in Miami and Orlando.

http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/1144166.html

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #179 on: January 15, 2009, 02:50:53 PM »

Funny you talk about facts.

First of all you rely your whole argument in pure intangibles. Talking about Bynum's presence blah blah..you want facts? Go look Gasol's and Bynum's season stats right now and you'll be able to see the actual facts.

Also, Bynum's is so vital to the lakers that even Phil Jackson seats him down when it matters the most. Did you know Bynum complained before christmas because he wasn't on the floor during clutch time? For such a vital player like Bynum , I'm guessing Phil Jackson believes it'd be unfair for the other teams if Bynum was on the floor during decisive minutes...that'd be too much of an edge for the lakers that no team in the league could handle  Roll Eyes.

You mean Oscar "The Big O" Robertson? Sure man, he may have been a CENTER (in juniot HIGH), but while he played on the NBA he was a point/shooting guard.

Shaq O'Neal was always on the bench late in games.  What's your point?  Big men usually take a seat to avoid getting fouled intentionally and missing free throws.

Stats schmats man, quit throwing numbers around.  It was never a numbers argument.

By your logic, we should discount everything Bruce Bowen has done because his numbers aren't great.  The man plays excellent defense, but his excellent defense never shows up in any box score.

By the way, I meant Bill Russell.  I always confuse him and the Big O.  I don't know why.

Bill Russell.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 47 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: