Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 09:12:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  This I Love - discussion/comments
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This I Love - discussion/comments  (Read 173414 times)
Annie
« Reply #460 on: January 13, 2009, 11:21:28 PM »

i can't even begin to express what this song has done for my personal growth & relationship. i've been with the same girl now for years and have always wanted to find the perfect song that i could claim to be "ours".  when i heard this song for the first time, i felt as if axl had written this song specifically for me to give to her. i've always been the type of guy who's had difficulties in expressing his feelings - and crying certainly wasnt something that i felt comfortable doing. especially in front of Mona (thats her name).

anyway, for months, prior to the album's release, we were going through alot of personal problems. the problems escalated to such an extent that we began discussing breaking up. she's been telling me for years that she wished i could be more open & expressive when it comes to my feelings. i wont get into all the details, but we were about as close to a split as one could come. a couple days after the album release, i had her over to the house. i made us a really nice candle lit dinner and had the album playing pretty low in the background. after dinner, i asked her to come and sit on the couch with me, mentioning that there was a song that i wanted her to hear. even though it was only her first listen, i could immediately tell the impact this song had on her. she had this amazingly sincere - almost lost -  look in her eyes. before the song had even ended, i noticed a tear begin to run down her cheek. without going into too much more detail, we sat on that couch embraced for what seemed to be hours. that was the first time i had ever cried in front of her. i honestly believe if it wasn't for this song, we wouldn't be together now. thank you more than you know, axl.

That is great.  I hope Axl can somehow read this so he can get an example of deeply his music can affect people.

Ali
Me too.
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #461 on: January 14, 2009, 12:40:57 AM »

i can't even begin to express what this song has done for my personal growth & relationship. i've been with the same girl now for years and have always wanted to find the perfect song that i could claim to be "ours".  when i heard this song for the first time, i felt as if axl had written this song specifically for me to give to her. i've always been the type of guy who's had difficulties in expressing his feelings - and crying certainly wasnt something that i felt comfortable doing. especially in front of Mona (thats her name).

anyway, for months, prior to the album's release, we were going through alot of personal problems. the problems escalated to such an extent that we began discussing breaking up. she's been telling me for years that she wished i could be more open & expressive when it comes to my feelings. i wont get into all the details, but we were about as close to a split as one could come. a couple days after the album release, i had her over to the house. i made us a really nice candle lit dinner and had the album playing pretty low in the background. after dinner, i asked her to come and sit on the couch with me, mentioning that there was a song that i wanted her to hear. even though it was only her first listen, i could immediately tell the impact this song had on her. she had this amazingly sincere - almost lost -  look in her eyes. before the song had even ended, i noticed a tear begin to run down her cheek. without going into too much more detail, we sat on that couch embraced for what seemed to be hours. that was the first time i had ever cried in front of her. i honestly believe if it wasn't for this song, we wouldn't be together now. thank you more than you know, axl.

That is great.  I hope Axl can somehow read this so he can get an example of deeply his music can affect people.

Ali
Me too.

me three.  that was truly inspirational!  i just might have to try that on this one girl that i really like!
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #462 on: January 14, 2009, 05:43:33 AM »

I love the power of music. This is why I can't get threw a day without it.

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #463 on: January 14, 2009, 06:34:21 AM »

great story man
MoonMax
Headliner

Moon Travel Free Of Charge!

« Reply #464 on: January 14, 2009, 09:46:27 AM »

I don't get the above post regarding not releasing it as a single.  I understand not associating it with the Twilight movie, or whatever, but "leave it this way?"  What?  Why not release one of the best songs on the album as a single?  It's a great idea, and Gn'R has always been best known for the ballad/ballad-ey type songs.

Edit: Post above D's, I mean

Here's what I mean. Let's call it for now good/bad politics for the name of Guns N' Roses. What I mean here, is that reliesing it as a single and/or putting it on the soundtrack of such teen, pop movie as Twilight is, it would be bad politics for the name and legacy of the band and Axl himselfe as he is the frontman and trademark of the band. I don't remember the song's name, but I'm sure that all of you Twilight fans are familiar with the one that's promoting the movie now. Would you like to see Axl Rose a 46 year old guy, that has a lot more experience, that wrote TIL, probably(!) based on what he went through and that kind of personal stuff, next to the song I mentioned?
Again, my opinion - that would be bad politics.

Cheers
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #465 on: January 14, 2009, 10:12:07 AM »

Here's what I mean. Let's call it for now good/bad politics for the name of Guns N' Roses. What I mean here, is that reliesing it as a single and/or putting it on the soundtrack of such teen, pop movie as Twilight is, it would be bad politics for the name and legacy of the band and Axl himselfe as he is the frontman and trademark of the band. I don't remember the song's name, but I'm sure that all of you Twilight fans are familiar with the one that's promoting the movie now. Would you like to see Axl Rose a 46 year old guy, that has a lot more experience, that wrote TIL, probably(!) based on what he went through and that kind of personal stuff, next to the song I mentioned?

Cheers

OK, I understand.  I thought you were referring to releasing the song as a single at all, not just against having it associated with the movie.

I haven't seen the movie Twilight, and I really have no opinion on whether it's any good or not, but the reputation of the movie is not exactly what I would expect to be associated with Gn'R either.  My perception of it is that it's a movie for pre-teen girls to get excited about.   Sort of like the Jonas Brothers, or the Backstreet Boys.  Maybe that perception is incorrect, but I don't think I'm alone in that perception, and I can't say I really think it's a good fit for Gn'R based on that perception.

In any case, it doesn't really matter, the movie is out, I'm sure the soundtrack is out, and Gn'R isn't on it!

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Annie
« Reply #466 on: January 14, 2009, 11:24:15 AM »

I don't get the above post regarding not releasing it as a single.  I understand not associating it with the Twilight movie, or whatever, but "leave it this way?"  What?  Why not release one of the best songs on the album as a single?  It's a great idea, and Gn'R has always been best known for the ballad/ballad-ey type songs.

Cheers
In the movie,even though the main character Edward looks 17 he is actually close to 90. I liked the songs on the TWILIGHT soundtrack. I also love Elton John's work on THE LION KING. THE TWILGHT saga and TIL will forever be intertwined in my heart no matter what happens. I see it as the triumph of true love . I can also understand your point. I am just so ln love with TIL.And I have been talking about the TWILIGHT sequel NEW MOON. In relation to good and bad politics for GNR, anything that would annoy SLASH would be priceless. As to the movie being aimed at preteen girls, they are just part of the audience. I saw more adults and teenagers when I went to the movie theater. And these same girls have boyfriends who could then be introduced to the darker side of GNR.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 11:35:27 AM by Annie » Logged
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #467 on: January 14, 2009, 07:06:11 PM »

The song is brilliant we all agree.  Different question---------------Would you want to see Axl playing the piano during the song, or have Dizzy on the piano while Axl sings and moves around on stage ?

Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #468 on: January 14, 2009, 07:20:24 PM »

Cheers
In the movie,even though the main character Edward looks 17 he is actually close to 90. I liked the songs on the TWILIGHT soundtrack. I also love Elton John's work on THE LION KING. THE TWILGHT saga and TIL will forever be intertwined in my heart no matter what happens. I see it as the triumph of true love . I can also understand your point. I am just so ln love with TIL.And I have been talking about the TWILIGHT sequel NEW MOON. In relation to good and bad politics for GNR, anything that would annoy SLASH would be priceless. As to the movie being aimed at preteen girls, they are just part of the audience. I saw more adults and teenagers when I went to the movie theater. And these same girls have boyfriends who could then be introduced to the darker side of GNR.

A story about a 90 year old dude who falls in love with a 17 year old girl...  no

Wink

The song is brilliant we all agree.  Different question---------------Would you want to see Axl playing the piano during the song, or have Dizzy on the piano while Axl sings and moves around on stage ?

I would definitely like to see Axl on piano... there's something that always stuck in my memory about the old NR performances when i first saw Axl at the piano, and it's a very powerful stage setup. However, more than that i would like him to do whatever makes it easier for him to nail the vocals, because i think if his vocals are strong then a performance of this song would be amazing. He could lay down in his pajamas if he wants.
Annie
« Reply #469 on: January 14, 2009, 07:26:42 PM »

I would love to see Axl on the piano just like in November Rain!
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #470 on: January 15, 2009, 03:32:31 AM »

Ditto.

Fuck 'Em All.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #471 on: January 15, 2009, 03:34:30 AM »

Ditto.

I concur wholeheartedly.
italysfinest1985
Rocker

Riding on the night train...

« Reply #472 on: January 15, 2009, 09:03:49 AM »

Ditto.

I concur wholeheartedly.

Axl needs to be on the piano for live versions of This I Love and Catcher in the Rye.  hihi

Guns N Roses Custom Reunion Trailer (Axl & Slash)
https://youtu.be/7NdNrNslYkU
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #473 on: January 15, 2009, 09:16:37 AM »

it might be a little too dificult for axl to play this i love live.  just imagine all the emotions that would be swirling inside his heart when he performed that song.  he might get choked up, or even cry live on stage.  that would surely make for a memorable, once in a lifetime concert, but i don't know if axl would want to do that.
Annie
« Reply #474 on: January 15, 2009, 01:32:49 PM »

it might be a little too dificult for axl to play this i love live.  just imagine all the emotions that would be swirling inside his heart when he performed that song.  he might get choked up, or even cry live on stage.  that would surely make for a memorable, once in a lifetime concert, but i don't know if axl would want to do that.
I think Axl could handle playing this live. He's not a sissy.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #475 on: January 15, 2009, 02:09:01 PM »

Didn't Patti Hood also say there was some talk of her performing with the band in the future?

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #476 on: January 15, 2009, 03:10:22 PM »

Didn't Patti Hood also say there was some talk of her performing with the band in the future?

That would pwn.
-Rob-
Banned
Rocker

Here Today ...

« Reply #477 on: January 16, 2009, 11:04:48 AM »

i would love to see 'this i love' replace one of the "old" ballads in the setlist. (ex. SCOM, NR)

i don't think there would be a dry eye in the house. well, this at least stands true for me anyway. i've been listening to the song daily for almost 2 months now and i still can't listen to it all the way through without balling my eyes out.
Annie
« Reply #478 on: January 16, 2009, 11:23:36 AM »

i would love to see 'this i love' replace one of the "old" ballads in the setlist. (ex. SCOM, NR)

i don't think there would be a dry eye in the house. well, this at least stands true for me anyway. i've been listening to the song daily for almost 2 months now and i still can't listen to it all the way through without balling my eyes out.
I love this song, but it doesn't make me cry. Probably because it's so intertwined with TWILIGHT for me.ANd I listen to this song over and over again. It would be cool to hear mostly new material on the next tour!
y2marmar
Headliner

I love the chosen one...

« Reply #479 on: January 16, 2009, 11:43:27 AM »

I know what you mean, I just love this song so so much. I'd love to see it replace November Rain.

Jean Claude Jaquatee...because you know who you are...when you're you
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 41 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: