Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 11:45:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228063 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  NCAA College Basketball
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NCAA College Basketball  (Read 46007 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2009, 06:33:46 AM »

Good win for UConn tonight, Jim Calhoun's 800th by the way.  A.J. Price was a man on a mission.  Stanley Robinson was posessed.  Jeff Adrien, the model of consistency all season, had a down game.  But it didn't matter.  They survived a feisty Marquette team.  Unfortunately for them, their starting senior PG Dominic James broke a bone in his foot in the first 5 minutes is done for the season.  That is a big blow to the Golden Eagles.  UConn pretty much controlled the whole game but Marquette was pesky and wouldn't go away.  Many people are saying this weekends game is a must win for Notre Dame @ UConn.  So the stage is set.  ND wins and they pretty much secure a spot in the tourney.  UConn wins and they go back to #1.

It was a GREAT game...UCONN would go on one of their trademark runs (that 16-0 run in the first half was impressive not for it's offense, but the defensive intensity they displayed), and Marquette would storm back.  They even managed those 1 point leads late in the 2nd half...and then, finally, UCONN broke away.

My only complaint was that, last night, they should have gone to Thabeet a LOT more.  He had a HUGE size and strength advantage for big parts of the night...but the guards just wouldn't dump the ball down to him.  It wasn't like he was well guarded, either.  There were times all the PG had to do was drop a lob over his back (he was being fronted by a guy giving up 7 or 8 inches with NO ONE on his back) and he had an easy dunk.  And, at times, UCONN's shot selection was TERRIBLE.  Those are things they're going to have to work on, going into the tourney.

That being said...if Robinson can play the way he did last night the rest of the way out, they're not going to much miss Dyson.  He was lights out on both offense AND D...and he was a rebounding machine.  And UCONN's D was, for the most part, good.  They certainly had some lapses...the spat of open 3's they gave up, all in a bunch and that AWFUL breakdown where the Marquette player blew by the 2 UCONN defenders (Thabeet and someone else) for the wide open, nobody even close to him, looked like a drill dunk...but all in all, and especially in the 2nd half, they were scary good.

They need the ND win to keep pace in the Big East if they want to win the league.  I THINK that to win the league, they gotta win out, which is going to be tough given the game AT Pitt.  Louisville's toughest test left will ALSO be Marquette, and with the loss of James...I'm not sure they have it in them to beat Louisville.  We'll see.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2009, 01:20:56 AM »

Looking forward to senior night at Freedom Hall for the Seton Hall game later.  I got some badass seats right behind the Louisville bench.  I am stoked for our last home game!

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2009, 02:16:02 PM »

I don't want to think about next year

no T Will, Clark or McGee....... Wonder how good we will be?

I know Rick has some awesome recruits coming in. Samardo should be a beast next season, Smith will be a senior, Sosa will be a senior and we are getting a Mcdonald's All American PG.

I think a superstar front court player as well.

have u heard anything?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2009, 01:25:15 AM »

The star PG you're referring to is Peyton Siva.  He is an All-American ranked 4th in the position, 23rd overall.  It'll definitely be nice to have a true point guard out there with mad skills.

We have a couple nice looking prospects coming in at PF as well.  Top 100 recruit Rakeem Buckles, 27th in his position and 6'9" Stephan Van Treese.

Also, another intriguing guy is sharp-shooting SG Mike Marra, who reportedly has some scary range and the ability to sink his share of challenged shots.

Overall, I think we'll be ok.  But it will be hard to adjust to life without T-Will among others (like early on this season without Padgett).  Hopefully by the time conference play begins, they'll have it figured out.

Believe in Coach P!

beer

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2009, 05:53:19 AM »

UK need to fire Gillispie and offer the world to Rick to come back.

UK are just ridiculous right now.

I wish i was still a gambler.

UK were almost 18pt favorites against Georgia!  I would've bet thousands on UGA  had I still gambled.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2009, 07:49:01 AM »

UCONN vs Pitt, tomorrow.

If you're not watching that one, you're just not a College B-ball fan (or, you're on the west coast and you're not out of bed yet!!).  Smiley

It's gonna be a WAR.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 07:54:55 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2009, 08:07:11 AM »

We'll see if Thabeet can handle Blair this time or if he gets manhandled again.  If he can stay out of foul trouble we should be fine.  The problem with Thabeet is his offensive skill are lacking so he can't really be expected to get Blair into foul trouble himself.  It'd be nice though.  The Huskies haven't lost on the road all season, and Pitt hasn't lost at home.  Something has to give.  I'd have to think UConn pretty much has a #1 seed locked up right now unless something crazy happens.  They're pretty much playing for THE #1 overall seed at this point, which could change a few times over the next couple weeks.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2009, 09:28:44 AM »

We'll see if Thabeet can handle Blair this time or if he gets manhandled again.  If he can stay out of foul trouble we should be fine.  The problem with Thabeet is his offensive skill are lacking so he can't really be expected to get Blair into foul trouble himself.  It'd be nice though.  The Huskies haven't lost on the road all season, and Pitt hasn't lost at home.  Something has to give.  I'd have to think UConn pretty much has a #1 seed locked up right now unless something crazy happens.  They're pretty much playing for THE #1 overall seed at this point, which could change a few times over the next couple weeks.

Blair had a MONSTER game vs Uconn last time out..something I'm not sure we'll see again this time.

Thabeet...I think the brutal physicality got to him last time.  That flip over the back, and the pull on his shoulder, seemed to really effect him.  I'm not sure if he was hurt, winded, or just intimidated...but again, I'm not sure we'll see that again.

There was a LOT of physical play last time....much of it by Blair.  I'm not going to sit here an blame the officiating for the loss...it certainly wasn't that.  But I will say I've seen some games called much tighter, too. And if the calls are tight....I think Pitt might be in trouble. If they let 'em play (and I fully expect that to be the case), then it's going to be a war. 

It's going to be a very interesting game to watch.  The UCONN/Pitt games are starting to take on that aura that is usually reserved for the Duke/UNC games.....

Together again,
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2009, 02:42:10 PM »

UK need to fire Gillispie and offer the world to Rick to come back.

I think UK fans killed any possibility of that ever happening with the way they treated him and his family when he came into Rupp with Louisville the first time.

When Tubby left, the local newspaper here interviewed Rick to ask if he was interested in the least at going back.  He emphatically said:  "No.  I have the job I want."

A lot of heat on Billy Clyde right now.  I say give him his full 3 years to see if he can turn things around (ala Steve Kragthorpe/UofL football).  After that if the program is still sinking deeper into the toilet, ax him and get someone else.

Cutting a guy after only two years will just lend more credibility to the national consensus of the crazy expectations in Lexington and will deter any aspiring coach from pursuing a job there.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2009, 02:56:39 PM »

Yeah but two legit stars like Patterson and Meeks should equal more success. Remember how he ran off Alex Legion over Legion reportedly sleeping with Gillispie's girlfriend or some chick gillispie was trying to fuck.

His style of play is horrible, his defensive philosophies are horrible. 2 hour practices  the day of the game is just even more retarded.

Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2009, 03:16:07 PM »

True.  I've heard some things that have me scratching my head as well.

Not only Legion, but Jasper as well.  I think Jasper leaving had more to do with Tubby's exit, though.  And who has Billy G brought in that's making a difference?  Patterson is a Tubby recruit.  Isn't Meeks also?

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2009, 03:30:57 PM »

Well tubby started on Patterson but Billy got the commitment

He has Miller and Liggins who were top 100 players, but it just seems no one on UK besides Meeks and Patterson have an offensive role. Its like pass it to those two and get out of the way. Its like nobody else can even shoot.

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2009, 05:08:06 PM »

The most recent Bracketology on ESPN has Kentucky out and only 3 SEC teams in (Ten, SC, LSU).

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2009, 01:05:47 AM »

Huge props to the Louisville Cardinals for winning the outright Big East title.  That puts them in a perfect position heading into the conference tournament.

Pitt/UConn played a great game earlier today.  UNC/Duke 1 had nothing on that. 

Looking forward to next week.

March Madness is here!

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2009, 12:22:17 PM »

Huge props to the Louisville Cardinals for winning the outright Big East title.  That puts them in a perfect position heading into the conference tournament.

Pitt/UConn played a great game earlier today.  UNC/Duke 1 had nothing on that. 

Looking forward to next week.

March Madness is here!
My favorite time of year is here.  I LOVE IT!!!  Congrats to your Cardinals.  Definitely deserving beating a good West Virginia team on the road.  Pitt seems to have UConn's number.  They have NO answer for Sam Young.  They looked like they didn't know what to do with him yesterday.  It's looking like the loss of Dyson is really gonna hurt their chances for the ultimate goal.  This Big East tournament is gonna be important for them especially.  They need to prove they can run with the big boys.  If they lose early or lose to Pitt AGAIN, some doubt might start to enter their heads.  Since they lost Dyson their best win came at Marquette in the game they lost James 5 minutes into the game, and they haven't won since.  So it's tough to quantify that win.  I still think they have a pretty good shot at a #1 seed, unless L'ville runs the table, then they would certainly have a case.  I think Pitt, UNC, and Oklahoma are 3 pretty safe bets.  Of course if Duke beats UNC today they could get consideration even though they really shouldn't even be a 2 seed, but obviously they're the media darlings and are severely overrated as always.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2009, 07:33:52 PM »

Louisville's had a great season...but a Big East Champ hasn't been crowned yet D.  Wink
My 'cuse is not the same team you guys beat just a couple weeks ago.  It shall be fun!  The Big East will be strong in the NCAAs.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2009, 09:39:19 PM »

Well, this may sound weird, but I kind of hope we don't win the Big East title. Thats a lot of grueling games. I think winning a round, getting a 2nd seed and getting some rest before the tourney may be better than a Big East Tournament title.

What scares me Kayoss about our team, is, we just go into big lulls where we just cannot score the basketball. We will have a 10 pt lead and then go 5 minutes and not score at all.

On one hand it shows what a great coach Rick is fixing T Will's jumper *HE has been amazing* but then I think, "Why didn't u do this 2 years ago' lol

If Samuels can stay out of foul trouble and Clark and T Will both are on at the same time, Jerry and Andre get hot from 3 and Sosa can play heady minutes, we can definitely go to the final four.

Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2009, 03:45:41 AM »

Lunardi's new bracketology has three #1 seeds from the Big East.  Pitt, UConn, & Louisville.  In his opinion, for UofL to maintain it they just need to reach the conference finals.

I agree, D.  Cards need to tighten up those scoreless droughts.  That was the death knell for us in the dance last year with UNC.  Well, that and Earl Clark of course.  But, we have a stronger team this year.  And while a #1 seed doesn't assure any team a Final Four slot, it sure makes the road a helluva lot easier.

Looking forward to the Big East tournament this week!

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2009, 09:26:05 AM »

Well, this may sound weird, but I kind of hope we don't win the Big East title. Thats a lot of grueling games. I think winning a round, getting a 2nd seed and getting some rest before the tourney may be better than a Big East Tournament title.

What scares me Kayoss about our team, is, we just go into big lulls where we just cannot score the basketball. We will have a 10 pt lead and then go 5 minutes and not score at all.

On one hand it shows what a great coach Rick is fixing T Will's jumper *HE has been amazing* but then I think, "Why didn't u do this 2 years ago' lol

If Samuels can stay out of foul trouble and Clark and T Will both are on at the same time, Jerry and Andre get hot from 3 and Sosa can play heady minutes, we can definitely go to the final four.
That's not too weird.  Some people think it's better to lose in the conference tourney and prepare for the larger goal.  Not sure I buy that theory.  I think it'd be fine to win both.  I think it more depends on the teams situation.  For instance, like I said before, I think it's important for UConn to at least play well in if not win the Big East tourney.  At least beat Pitt.  They need a confidence booster.

I doubt the Big East will get 3 #1's.  Pitt's the safe bet right now, and obviously UNC and I think Oklahoma, they'll take into account that they lost 2 straight without Griffin.  It might come down to UConn and L'ville for the last spot.  I'd say UConn has the edge right now but things could change at MSG.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2009, 10:24:52 AM »

That's not too weird.  Some people think it's better to lose in the conference tourney and prepare for the larger goal.  Not sure I buy that theory.  I think it'd be fine to win both.  I think it more depends on the teams situation.  For instance, like I said before, I think it's important for UConn to at least play well in if not win the Big East tourney.  At least beat Pitt.  They need a confidence booster.

I doubt the Big East will get 3 #1's.  Pitt's the safe bet right now, and obviously UNC and I think Oklahoma, they'll take into account that they lost 2 straight without Griffin.  It might come down to UConn and L'ville for the last spot.  I'd say UConn has the edge right now but things could change at MSG.

I think, barring an early MSG loss by one of them, that Pitt and UCONN are virtual locks as #1 seeds.  Ditto on UNC.  I think they're all playing for the number one, OVER ALL, seed in the tourney.

I think the 4th #1 spot is the only one really up for grabs, barring an early upset in the Big East (and the possibility of facing the "cuse in the quarters gives me nightmares) or ACC conference tourney.  I think Louisville, Memphis, Oklahoma, and possibly Michigan State (though I think that's the long shot) are fighting it out for that one seed.  This exact second I'd give the nod to Oklahoma, but if they lose in their tourney...they wont' get it.  Likewise, if Louisville WINS the Big East Tourney, they get it.  Then would be Memphis, and finally Michigan State who would need the perfect storm of conference tourney losses, in exactly the right round, to stumble in.

Looking at the Big East brackets....either Pitt or UCONN will NOT make the finals.  They'll have to play each other in the semis.  Pitt, IMHO, actually has the EASIER path...not just in seeding but in matchups.  They match up with everyone coming from the earlier rounds very well.  The only team really capable of giving them a game, IMHO, would be ND...and I don't think ND can get to them.

Uconn is likely going to have to face Syracuse...I don't think USF or the Hall has a shot at getting by them.  That's a TOUGH quarterfinal.

Then the Piit/Uconn semi which, honestly, if they both make it there...I don't think the outcome has much impact on the selection seeding.  The only question becomes if they beat each other up enough to make the winner more vulnerable in the finals.  Not to take anything from Louisville...but I think the winner of that Semi wins the Big east tourney and, if they do, puts themselves in a pretty good position to be the #1 overall seed.

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: