Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 11:27:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228063 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  NCAA College Basketball
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NCAA College Basketball  (Read 46003 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #100 on: March 10, 2009, 10:28:42 AM »

Huge props to the Louisville Cardinals for winning the outright Big East title.  That puts them in a perfect position heading into the conference tournament.

Pitt/UConn played a great game earlier today.  UNC/Duke 1 had nothing on that. 

Looking forward to next week.

March Madness is here!

I'm not going to take ANYTHING away from Louisville..they had a great season.  They deserve the #1 seed in the conference tourney, that's for sure.

But...(and you knew one was coming), they only played Pitt and Uconn once (beating Pitt in a close one, and getting creamed by UCONN).  That certanily made things easier for them, to some extent, and it's my one issue with the Big East Schedule (granted, not Louisville's fault!).  I think it's tough to "reward" (and this goes for every year under the new format, not just this one) the top team in the conference with a #1 seed in the Big East tourney when....their schedule could be MUCH easier than that of the 2 and 3 team.  Sure, over the course of time it all works out...but a year taken as a snapshot...not so much.  It's something I think the Big East needs to work on....

They have it good in the tourney, too.  Assuming seeds hold out, they'll end up having to face whoever wins the UCONN/Pitt war in the semis....which can be nothing but good for Louisville.

They are a VERY good team, playing in a VERY good conference, that's for sure.  I'm just not sure they're on the same level as Pitt and Uconn are right now....I guess we'll see through the Big East and NCAA tourney's....
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:30:52 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #101 on: March 10, 2009, 01:04:02 PM »

What hurts UL is those really horrible losses early to UNLV, Minnesota, Western Kentucky and then getting demolished by ND by 30 plus.

I don't think you can say UL had an easy Big East Schedule. Sure we didn't play Uconn twice, but UConn did get beat twice by Pitt and we beat Pitt, so that has to count for something.

I don't understand the Oklahoma love. I think I am the only person in the country who is just not impressed with Blake Griffin or Oklahoma. I think whoever takes Griffin high in the NBA draft are gonna be extremely disappointed.

Billy Gillispie, I think has to pull out a miracle to keep his job.  This is the North Carolina situation all over again. Remember that one guy they had? Daughtery or whoever it was and even at Florida when they replaced Steve Spurrier with Zook

U have to identify fast that u have the wrong guy and go get the right guy.

Billy is definitely the WRONG guy for us at UK

I say try to get former Dallas Mavs' coach Avery Johnson.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2009, 01:37:03 PM »

What hurts UL is those really horrible losses early to UNLV, Minnesota, Western Kentucky and then getting demolished by ND by 30 plus.

I don't think you can say UL had an easy Big East Schedule. Sure we didn't play Uconn twice, but UConn did get beat twice by Pitt and we beat Pitt, so that has to count for something.

Not EASY (there's no such thing as "easy" in the Big East) but EASIER.  You can't deny it...they played the "other two" top teams only once each...in essence, Pitt and UCONN each had one more "tough game" than your guys did.  Again, not Louisville's fault as they don't make the schedules, and they still went out and won games so I'm not begrudging them their first place finish.   I just don't like the way things are set up in the Big East....because the scheduling can really be a big factor in who is at the top of the league.  I'd feel the same way if it were G-town on top and the Huskies were dead last in the league.

And to answer your question: No, beating Pitt who beat Uconn twice doesn't count for much of anything...when you got pummelled head to head by UCONN.   The "That team beat that team who beat that team" is only really much of a consideration when there's no head to head matchup to look at.  In this case, there is.  It would be like UCONN trying to make the contrary case:  Well, we beat Louisville and 'nova, who beat Pitt..so that must account for something".  Doesn't really hold much water.

I don't understand the Oklahoma love. I think I am the only person in the country who is just not impressed with Blake Griffin or Oklahoma. I think whoever takes Griffin high in the NBA draft are gonna be extremely disappointed.

I'm not sure he's an NBA body...that remains to be seen. But he's a STELLAR college player, and we're talking about the college game, so.....

I mean, the past is littered with NCAA stars who have not made the transition well to the NBA.  That hasn't really effected their contributions on the court during their college play. 

Look at Oklahoma WITH him...then look at what occurred without him.  I saw them play, on TV, both ways...they looked like a completely different team without Griffin.  HE's not only great, he makes the rest of his team a hell of a lot better, too.  Those two losses without him would be the only thing that might drop them to a 2 seed...and the selection committee has, historically, taken that stuff into account (injuries) when seeding a team..both for them and against them.

Billy Gillispie, I think has to pull out a miracle to keep his job.  This is the North Carolina situation all over again. Remember that one guy they had? Daughtery or whoever it was and even at Florida when they replaced Steve Spurrier with Zook

U have to identify fast that u have the wrong guy and go get the right guy.

Billy is definitely the WRONG guy for us at UK

I say try to get former Dallas Mavs' coach Avery Johnson.

I agree. His coaching style doesn't match well with Kentucky's program (or it's current roster of players).  They REALLY underachieved this year...I mean, I don't think anyone was expecting them to be a championship (SEC or NCAA) team this year, but I think it's safe to say it was realistic to expect them to MAKE the tourney this year...and barring an SEC tourney win, I think they're on the outside, looking in. 

Together again,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2009, 02:07:57 PM »

U figure at UK though, we honestly have one of the best tandems in the entire country in Meeks and Patterson. Really there is no excuse for this type of season when u got two guys of their caliber.

Billy G runs 2 hour practices before games! that is just insane.

I am hoping Meeks and Patterson can get hot and we can win.

Micheal Porter has no business starting at PG for us. He is now officially the worst PG in UK history replacing Saul Smith.

Billy needs to roll with Miller and Liggins, try their best to concentrate solely on Defense and let meeks and Patterson carry the offense to some ugly wins.
SEC is so down, we could still win it.

I see what u are saying about the schedule. I tried to BCS u with the "We beat Pitt who beat Uconn twice argument!" hihi

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2009, 02:23:40 PM »

I see what u are saying about the schedule. I tried to BCS u with the "We beat Pitt who beat Uconn twice argument!" hihi

Ahhh yes...the reason I hate College Football!!!   With a passion.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2009, 02:41:36 PM »

OK, someone must be pumping some majorly good shit into my office:

I SWEAR I just saw Depaul win a game, and beat Cincy?

Are you fucking kidding me?  0-18 in the league and you WIN your opener in the tourney?

Man, I must be higher than a kite!  There's no fucking way that actually happened.

Together again,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2009, 03:34:15 PM »

Depaul!  Gonna win the Big East tourney and fuck up the bubble!

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2009, 06:34:39 PM »

In Louisville's defense, UConn beat them WITH Jerome Dyson.  UConn lost the 2 games to Pitt without him.  So who knows how a Dysonless UConn squad would fare against Louisville at this stage of the game.  They just haven't looked like the same team without him.  Stanley Robinson has played well in spurts.  Kemba Walker too, but he remains a bit of a liability in late game situations making stupid freshman mistakes.  AJ Price is great one game, average the next, sometimes from half to half within a game even.  Adrien has been the model of consistency over his career but has had 2 BAD games in the last 3.  And Craig Austrie who has taken over Dyson's starting spot has been non-existant to awful since the increase in minutes.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2009, 08:32:36 PM »

Today is one of those days that I am really happy I stopped Gambling

Depaul over Cincy and St Johns over Georgetown

I probably would've lost my ass on those two.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2009, 09:34:48 PM »

If anyone is interested I created  a bracket  Pick Em game on Yahoo

I figure we can challenge Gnrevolution

League ID:52740

Password axlrose

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2009, 09:10:36 PM »

If anyone is interested I created  a bracket  Pick Em game on Yahoo

I figure we can challenge Gnrevolution

League ID:52740

Password axlrose

Get those bastards on board again!  We need revenge after our htgth fantasy football defeat in 2008.   hihi

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2009, 11:46:42 PM »

I'm going to the Pac 10 Championship game.

smoking
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2009, 04:49:40 PM »

They still have a Pac-10 in college basketball?  I thought that was just for chicks nowadays.   hihi

I sense an Orange upset over the Huskies coming up very soon! (about 4 hours from now)   yes

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2009, 06:32:47 PM »

They still have a Pac-10 in college basketball?  I thought that was just for chicks nowadays.   hihi

I sense an Orange upset over the Huskies coming up very soon! (about 4 hours from now)   yes
I hope you're wrong about that.

U-Conn
Hus-kies

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2009, 09:42:23 PM »

UL has to get a number 1 seed. Especially with Pitt losing to WV and Oklahoma losing today.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2009, 12:02:28 AM »

I bet u guys are in bed

double OT Syracuse and UConn

what an incredible game to miss.

Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2009, 01:28:10 AM »

I'm still up!

SIX overtimes!  Damn!

Big credit to 'Cuse for that tenacity.

Big East is the real deal.  That was a game!

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2009, 02:05:53 AM »

I'm still up!

SIX overtimes!  Damn!

Big credit to 'Cuse for that tenacity.

Big East is the real deal.  That was a game!

WOWWWWWWWWW

I was looking on yahoo and noticed it was really tight in the 2nd half. Like a minute to go, so I thought, what the hell, I'll flip it on there and see the finish.

2 hours later and I am still going crazy! That, next to UK/Duke in 92 was probably the best game I've ever seen.

unbelievable.

I just now wish they re seeded cause we get Nova tomorrow. I bet Syracuse won't win tomorrow. They pretty much played back to back games. 70 minutes!

Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2009, 03:47:50 AM »

Yea, I'm with ya there.

With Pitt and UConn out, Nova is the next team I wouldn't want to face.  Especially with all the upsets in the BE so far.  Louisville is next to be off'ed if we aren't at our best.

I'd have money on Syracuse getting ousted by WV tomorrow.  Surely they left every ounce of fight in them on the floor tonight but who knows.  If their legs hold up, they might have a little steam left.

If the Cards get by Nova, I like our chances to win the tournament.  We'll either have a WV team we've already beaten twice or a seriously gassed Syracuse.

Major credit again to the Orange for that effort tonight.  That was an unforgettable game.

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2009, 04:10:06 AM »

Pardonne moi?

UCLA has been in the Final Four three years in a row!  Bah, easterners.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: