Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 04:51:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  holy shit! this is THE BEST gnr line-up EVER!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: holy shit! this is THE BEST gnr line-up EVER!  (Read 28999 times)
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2009, 03:32:35 AM »

1)  well, if we have seen an artist's work, i think it's pretty fair to say we have an idea of his talents.
2)  maybe YOU haven't heard him play yet
3)  this band has toured plenty of times.  not all together 100 percent yet, but we still have more then enough to judge how awesome they are.  the teams for all-star games don't play together until the game, but i think it's pretty easy to tell they're the best of the best.

but none of that really matters.  here's how we know they're the greatest line-up... because they're the ones axl chose!  what more could you possibly need to know?  if they weren't the best band, he would have picked whoever would have made the best band.  i have a feeling if you asked anyone in the band they'd tell you the same thing... this is the best line up yet.

Your really insane man and you don't seem to think logically!  What makes you think Axl can just choose whoever he wants?
And even if he could, what makes you think he would make the right choices?  Do you think he is some kind of God?

Allow me to use an example - Even if a football team is full of great players, they're still only going to be judged on the trophies they win.  If they dont win any, they wont be remembered at all.

So lets translate this to music - Just because you have some good musicians, doesnt mean your the BEST ever.  That can only be judged on success.

Sure, maybe they're the best in YOUR opinion.  But please be logical here and wait for them to achieve something before calling them the best.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2009, 07:15:43 AM »

1)  well, if we have seen an artist's work, i think it's pretty fair to say we have an idea of his talents.
3)  this band has toured plenty of times.  not all together 100 percent yet, but we still have more then enough to judge how awesome they are.  the teams for all-star games don't play together until the game, but i think it's pretty easy to tell they're the best of the best.

you can't say what the chemistry with ashba will be like, sure he's a great guitarist, but you have no idea on how he will fit in.

if you change one element in a team it has an effect on the whole thing,

the all star game point you made is stupid, fans hijack the voting(habs fans in NHL this year for example), so they're not the best of the best all the time.

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2009, 10:15:27 AM »

And heres some food for thought. What if when they went back for rehearsals the chemistry wasn't there? Im not saying thats what happened but its possible. Look, as a person who plays in a band I can tell you this: when you replace any member the dynamics change. You cant just plug in pieces and expect it to work. Either you have it ( chemistry) or you dont.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2009, 10:32:26 AM »

You cant just plug in pieces and expect it to work. Either you have it ( chemistry) or you dont.

That's why you have auditions before.

To get a sense of will it work or not before making the commitment to have a certain person join.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2009, 10:41:23 AM »

And heres some food for thought. What if when they went back for rehearsals the chemistry wasn't there? Im not saying thats what happened but its possible. Look, as a person who plays in a band I can tell you this: when you replace any member the dynamics change. You cant just plug in pieces and expect it to work. Either you have it ( chemistry) or you dont.

I really doubt this only because I remember when Ron was first being considered - like two years before the Hammerstein shows - he said something like he had systematically hooked up with other members of the GNR band/camp EXCEPT Axl.

So that sounds to me like anyone being considered is seriously vetted before things get too far along in the process. 

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2009, 11:30:25 AM »

Common, We ALL know the appetite era line up was the best. I happen to like the illusions a lot more than AFD but that doesnt mean they had the best line up.

As for new gnr ? I think the best line up was the 2006 line up. The chemistry was there, robin had come out like he spent 6 years in tibet trying to find his innerguitargod (with success I may add) Axl's voice was flawless, just youtube rock am ring Knockin on heaven's door. Everything just seamed flawless when I went to see them in 2006.
I am very greatful that I saw that version of the band.

Buckethead era gnr was interesting but not GNR-cool kind of interesting.

AS for the new (perhaps) Motleycrue era GNR, we don't have a clue how it will be. Though we are free to make assumptions.
I dont like DJ Ashba because of his songwriting and involvement with cheesy projects. Others love him for it.

Lets wait and see.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2009, 12:13:31 PM »

and that's why I think this thread is useless at the point of date.

1) we might know ashba's work.
2) we haven't heard him play yet.
3) the band hasn't toured.

so how do youknow this is the best line-up

as for me.. I would put the 02 line up with the 06 Axl.
that would've been an awsome one!

but none of that really matters.  here's how we know they're the greatest line-up... because they're the ones axl chose!  what more could you possibly need to know?  if they weren't the best band, he would have picked whoever would have made the best band.  i have a feeling if you asked anyone in the band they'd tell you the same thing... this is the best line up yet.

Won't really know until they actually play a gig. Too premature to say that its the best lineup without hearing a single note out of them.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2009, 02:21:15 PM »

LOL at people saying how others NEED to take the AFD line-up as the only one able to be the best.

I don't agree with falungong69, but he's entitled to his opinion. No one can say otherwise about his opinion, no matter what.

There's no FACT in personal opinions about band members or line-ups.

-Rob-
Banned
Rocker

Here Today ...

« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2009, 03:05:57 PM »

Who said it was fact? Believe it or not, I think most of us are able to decipher fact from one's opinion.

It's funny how you only seem to point this "fact" out when someone disagrees that every single song on this album was the holy grail. Or that Robin isn't much better than average.   smoking
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2009, 03:08:31 PM »

It is a FACT that this isn't the best GNR lineup

shit like this, there is no such thing as your opinion.

Thats like saying 2009 Chicago Bulls are the greatest bulls lineup ever.

NO

U can say this is my "FAVORITE"
but u can't say the best.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2009, 03:11:30 PM »

Until I see the new lineup, I tip my hat to the 2006 lineup.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2009, 03:25:13 PM »

Who said it was fact? Believe it or not, I think most of us are able to decipher fact from one's opinion.
You certanly doesn't fit in that description.

And D said it was a fact. He even said it again.

It's funny how you only seem to point this "fact" out when someone disagrees that every single song on this album was the holy grail. Or that Robin isn't much better than average.   smoking
Funny is how you doesn't like the new band and still you care so much about what they do or not.

And who the fuck said that every single on this album was the holy grail? And what the fuck Robin has to do with this thread?

NO

Of course you can. One thing you CAN'T is to compare games with the band. There's no championship to prove anything. There's no win.

Amazing how some of the same people are all offended when others voice their OPINIONS on how they like better new people than the old guys. Same people, always. Funny is how they are all defensive when Jarmo says how this is not the old band section and act like "it's only a matter of opinion".

And, AGAIN, I don't agree with falungong. I just think he's entitled to his opinion.

peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2009, 03:33:49 PM »

You certanly doesn't fit in that descripti
And D said it was a fact. He even said it again.

It's funny how you only seem to point this "fact" out when someone disagrees that every single song on this album was the holy grail. Or that Robin isn't much better than average.   smoking
Funny is how you doesn't like the new band and still you care so much about what they do or not.

And who the fuck said that every single on this album was the holy grail? And what the fuck Robin has to do with this thread?

NO

Of course you can. One thing you CAN'T is to compare games with the band. There's no championship to prove anything. There's no win.

Amazing how some of the same people are all offended when others voice their OPINIONS on how they like better new people than the old guys. Same people, always. Funny is how they are all defensive when Jarmo says how this is not the old band section and act like "it's only a matter of opinion".

And, AGAIN, I don't agree with falungong. I just think he's entitled to his opinion.

I think what D was trying to say was that just because something looks good on paper doesnt mean it will be. How can someone claim this version to be the best version without having heard them play. On paper the lineup is impressive but we havent heard a single note yet.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2009, 03:37:31 PM »

Ok, but he's stating how the AFD line-up is the best EVER and nobody can say otherwise. Remember, there's only Robin missing in this actual line-up from 2006/07 era.

peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2009, 03:44:44 PM »

Ok, but he's stating how the AFD line-up is the best EVER and nobody can say otherwise. Remember, there's only Robin missing in this actual line-up from 2006/07 era.

Robin was a big part of that lineup. None of us have heard them play a single note without him and with Ashba. So its a little premature to say that this is the best lienup until we hear them play. Didnt you say a few posts ago that falungong69 was entitled to his opinion? By that logic isnt D entitled to his?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2009, 03:49:15 PM »

this has nothing to do with old vs new

this has to do with HISTORY

and when u examine history it is a FACT that the Appetite or even the UYI lineup is the best

Do I need to even write down the resume of each

Appetite For Destruction  greatest rock CD maybe ever  sold somewhere around 25 million spawned 3 of the biggest rock songs of all time

GNR Lies" multi Platinum 

UYI 1 and 2 each sold something like 15 million

Sold out world tours, stadium tours, attendance records
some of the best music videos ever made
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame band
one of the 5-10 greatest bands of all time

2009 lineup:

Blank

yeah this is the best lineup ever! Roll Eyes

Once again, u can have an opinion and say this is your 'Favorite"

but when u are throwing out words like greatest and best, u gotta have factual statistics to back that stuff up.

Also, lets don't misconstrue this as me hating the new band or whatever.

I love the new band, but let's don't shit on the GNR legacy just because Axl calls someone a cancer. that doesn't rewrite history.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 03:52:33 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2009, 04:18:51 PM »

Common, We ALL know the appetite era line up was the best.

no.

say there'd be 2 gigs tomorrow, one by GNR of 87, and the other GNR of today, I'd go see the latter. No waver.

I hear RS  had lots of hit songs in the 70s. so did US in the 80s. not now altho the lineups  are the same.
Does that mean those bands were better then?
King Axl
Rocker

4/14/2012. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2009, 04:19:55 PM »

The fact that Guns N' Roses continues to have multple personnel changes makes me wish for the good old days; you know, 1985-90, before Steven got tossed and Izzy flew the coop.

How can ANYONE say this is the best line-up when 1) no one outside of the GN'R camp knows for sure who's in the band, and 2) there's been not a single public performance by this latest incarnation of Guns N' Roses?

Yeah, the 2006 version of GN'R was good....but Finck's gone now.

Just when we get used to a set line-up, shit always happens and our dear Uncle Axl goes into hibernation.

"Something, something, something, DARK SIDE. Something, something, something, COMPLETE".
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2009, 04:26:01 PM »

Common, We ALL know the appetite era line up was the best.

no.

say there'd be 2 gigs tomorrow, one by GNR of 87, and the other GNR of today, I'd go see the latter. No waver.

I hear RS  had lots of hit songs in the 70s. so did US in the 80s. not now altho the lineups  are the same.
Does that mean those bands were better then?

Then you are a fool.  The hunger and intensity of GnR in the 80s made the live shows utterly amazing.  Not to slam the new band but they couldn't hold the jocks of the AFD lineup in their prime.
-Rob-
Banned
Rocker

Here Today ...

« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2009, 04:29:23 PM »

Ok, but he's stating how the AFD line-up is the best EVER and nobody can say otherwise.

You're more than entitled to say otherwise.

Unfortunately, D's "opinion" is one that is very, very commonly shared by the masses. We're talking about a band that defined a generation and wrote some of rock n rolls most memorable anthems EVER.

The new lineup(s), at best, have a small internet cult following, and an album that disappeared from the charts after only 4 months.

So, can you say this is better? Sure. You can say it. But don't be surprised when the majority call bullshit on the matter.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: