Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:18:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy Reviews: 9 months later
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy Reviews: 9 months later  (Read 43343 times)
Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #160 on: September 06, 2009, 04:16:49 PM »

I don't hear anything on CD that approaches Estranged

If The World, TWAT, Catcher in The Rye, Madagascar... IMO.  Maybe even This I Love or Sorry.  Not saying one is better than the other, but they are on the same level and I would probably even listen to these more often cuz they are not as long.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #161 on: September 06, 2009, 04:53:46 PM »

Full disclosure, I am very biased towards Estranged. Its my absolute favorite song in music history so  for me, nothing comes close to it.

I think Catcher has potential to be one of the best songs ever, but it just has too much going on. The Demo was more stripped down with a much better intro etc

the guitar is too loud in the mix and it overshadows Axl's lyrics/vocals and there aren't any memorable licks in it

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #162 on: September 06, 2009, 09:38:34 PM »

I can't beleive some of the shit I am reading on here.  I think Axl himself knows Estranged is probably one of his deepest songs ever. 

Voodoo, songs you love in GNR are some of my least favorite... You said Scraped and Riad are your two favorites from the album.  These are the two I always skip.... But I can't get enough of If The World, now that song is awesome.  Its amazing we are both GNR fans, yet our tastes within GNR are vastly different.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #163 on: September 06, 2009, 09:50:52 PM »

I can't beleive some of the shit I am reading on here.  I think Axl himself knows Estranged is probably one of his deepest songs ever. 

Voodoo, songs you love in GNR are some of my least favorite... You said Scraped and Riad are your two favorites from the album.  These are the two I always skip.... But I can't get enough of If The World, now that song is awesome.  Its amazing we are both GNR fans, yet our tastes within GNR are vastly different.
God forbid people have opinions of their own and like some of the new songs better than the old.  Didn't know that was forbidden.

I too love "Scraped", one of my favorites on the album.  And I never truly appreciated Riad until I got the album and listened to it 100's of times.  Now I see the greatness.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #164 on: September 06, 2009, 10:02:30 PM »

God forbid people have opinions of their own and like some of the new songs better than the old.  Didn't know that was forbidden.

I too love "Scraped", one of my favorites on the album.  And I never truly appreciated Riad until I got the album and listened to it 100's of times.  Now I see the greatness.

You can have an opinion... But don't drop the word "greatest" around so much.  It really cheapens the word in my opinion.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #165 on: September 06, 2009, 10:20:07 PM »

Well thank Gawd your opinion isn't gospel around here.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #166 on: September 06, 2009, 11:27:29 PM »

Lord don't get me started on the 'Greatest" "thing again

Everything about Estranged is way better than all of CD combined

It has the amazing lyrics, the emotion of This I Love

Musically it just can't be matched.

Axl's piano interludes are unmatched, Slash's guitar melodies are unmatched

the way the song changes mood and feel and it has SO many different sections.

It truly is an Epic and the greatest song of all time.

Better is a Pro Tool cut and paste hatchet job of a song

If The World is great don't get me wrong but it doesn't have the complexity or the musical changes Estranged does

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #167 on: September 07, 2009, 01:18:39 AM »

I don't think If The World is even trying to be complex like Estranged.

It's a fun, easy-going pop-rock song. Estranged is an all-out epic.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
seely
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #168 on: September 07, 2009, 10:15:07 AM »

IMO There Was A Time and Prostitute are nearly as epic enough to rival estranged and NR

(\__/)
(O.o )
( > < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this attached message into your signature to help him on his quest for world domination.

----------------------------------------------------
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #169 on: September 07, 2009, 11:58:17 AM »

Ah... the internet. The only place where someone can tell you that your opinion doesn't matter whilst trying to force their opinion on you.

I personally believe Better and TWaT are both superior tracks to anything GN'R has done in the past. I get that people like Estrange, WttJ, etc...... fair enough. I love those tracks as well. However, I enjoy Better and TWaT more. So having said that, it makes those 2 songs superior to those older songs IMO.

Where's the problem?

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #170 on: September 07, 2009, 12:24:14 PM »

I take TWAT over NR and estranged. they are all great but twat is the handsomest. from the intro bit right after the choir it gives me a throb.

Ah... the internet. The only place where someone can tell you that your opinion doesn't matter whilst trying to force their opinion on you
so true.

enough of negative campaign against new songs. it can't change our appreciation of cd.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #171 on: September 07, 2009, 12:54:03 PM »

Ah... the internet. The only place where someone can tell you that your opinion doesn't matter whilst trying to force their opinion on you.

I personally believe Better and TWaT are both superior tracks to anything GN'R has done in the past. I get that people like Estrange, WttJ, etc...... fair enough. I love those tracks as well. However, I enjoy Better and TWaT more. So having said that, it makes those 2 songs superior to those older songs IMO.

Where's the problem?

If Estranged was on CD and Twat was on UYI, would you say the same thing?

Doubt it.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #172 on: September 07, 2009, 01:14:17 PM »

Doubt it.

that means paul dizzy robin bh chris etc were on UYI. 

howbout you? would you still say the same things about the songs?

Strongly Doubt it.

russtcb
Legend

« Reply #173 on: September 07, 2009, 01:51:14 PM »

Where's the problem?

Doubt it.

If TWaT was on UYI and sounded exactly as it does on CD and vice versa, ofcourse I would. I get what you're saying. You're saying I'm claiming TWaT is superior only because it's on CD... which is ridiculous. I might ask the same of you in reverse, but I wouldn't do that because I'm taking a leap of faith in saying you like those older songs just because of your personal opinion, not some unfounded bias against CD or the lineup the recorded it.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #174 on: September 07, 2009, 02:07:49 PM »

Where's the problem?

Doubt it.

If TWaT was on UYI and sounded exactly as it does on CD and vice versa, ofcourse I would. I get what you're saying. You're saying I'm claiming TWaT is superior only because it's on CD... which is ridiculous. I might ask the same of you in reverse, but I wouldn't do that because I'm taking a leap of faith in saying you like those older songs just because of your personal opinion, not some unfounded bias against CD or the lineup the recorded it.

If CD came out in 87, and Appetite came out in 2008, and Robin, Richard, Frank were original members and in 2008 we get PC, SCOM, WTTJ I think we could all still be objective and not be able to deny the power of those older songs.  If the World can hang easily with the back catalog....  TWAT is good, but its more on the level of Breakdown (which is very very good).. But Don't Cry, NR, and Estranged back to back to back are all so hard to beat.
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #175 on: September 07, 2009, 02:13:05 PM »

Where's the problem?

Doubt it.

If CD came out in 87, and Appetite came out in 2008, and Robin, Richard, Frank were original members and in 2008 we get PC, SCOM, WTTJ I think we could all still be objective and not be able to deny the power of those older songs.  If the World can hang easily with the back catalog....  TWAT is good, but its more on the level of Breakdown (which is very very good).. But Don't Cry, NR, and Estranged back to back to back are all so hard to beat.

And again, I disagree. I think everything on CD stands up to the back catalog except (IMO) SR. And on top of that I think Better and TWaT not only stand up to, but are superior to anything on the first several albums.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #176 on: September 07, 2009, 02:14:39 PM »

Where's the problem?

I am saying that is fine BUT WTTJ etc are so worn out and are 20 years old, so of course the fresher, newer thing is gonna be better because it hasn't been played to death.

AtariLegend
Not User Friendly
VIP

« Reply #177 on: September 07, 2009, 02:27:40 PM »

Chinese Democracy - Good
Shackler's Revenge - Not Good
Better - Very Good
Street Of Dreams - Beautiful
If The World - Good
There Was A Time - Great
Catcher In The Rye - Good
Scraped - Average
Riad N' The Bedouins - Good
Sorry - Good
I.R.S. - Good
Madagascar - Very Good
This I Love - Beautiful
Prostitute - Good

Overall - Very Good
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #178 on: September 07, 2009, 03:05:05 PM »

Where's the problem?

I am saying that is fine BUT WTTJ etc are so worn out and are 20 years old, so of course the fresher, newer thing is gonna be better because it hasn't been played to death.

I can respect that, but it's honestly not the issue for me. I listen to WttJ now and again and it isn't played out for me. It is, was and always will be one of the greatest rocks tracks ever recorded. I just happen to find Better to be superior.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #179 on: September 07, 2009, 05:51:42 PM »

again Ive already listened to cd more than old albums and it only cultivates my appreciation of cd. I don't care if anyone prefers songs that are not on cd to the ones on cd.  it also depends on your impressibility. but this thread is about cd. Why a few in here hate to see others loving the latest release of 'their fav band' so much is totally beyond me.

If CD came out in 87, and Appetite came out in 2008, and Robin, Richard, Frank were original members and in 2008 we get PC, SCOM, WTTJ I think we could all still be objective and not be able to deny the power of those older songs. 

That'd be retrogression. Last time I checked, the universe hasn't started its contraction yet. Can't you see the absurdity of making such an impossible supposition?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: