Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 07:13:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy Reviews: 9 months later
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy Reviews: 9 months later  (Read 42826 times)
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #180 on: September 08, 2009, 02:41:25 AM »

D is spot on as usual!

Of course people are going to enjoy their shiny new toy for a while.  its new and fresher.
Ill bump this thread in 22 years and see if you still have the same opinion.   hihi

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #181 on: September 08, 2009, 07:30:43 AM »

D is spot on as usual!

Of course people are going to enjoy their shiny new toy for a while.  its new and fresher.
Ill bump this thread in 22 years and see if you still have the same opinion.   hihi

hihi

Any reason to insult the newer music I guess. Seeing as everyone who listened to the leaks (or at least attended the 06 tours) has heard Better/IRS/TWaT/CD, etc for at least 3 (coming up on 4) years, I wouldn't say the songs are "shiny new toys" but again, whatever excuse you need to find fault with the newer material..... have at it.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #182 on: September 08, 2009, 07:36:10 AM »

D is spot on as usual!

hihi

Any reason to insult the newer music I guess. Seeing as everyone who listened to the leaks (or at least attended the 06 tours) has heard Better/IRS/TWaT/CD, etc for at least 3 (coming up on 4) years, I wouldn't say the songs are "shiny new toys" but again, whatever excuse you need to find fault with the newer material..... have at it.

Do you find it just the tiny bit odd only die hards like us gave this album a shot?  Is that ALL based on promotion, or maybe the reason the earlier albums did so good is because they are amazing?!?!
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #183 on: September 08, 2009, 09:53:33 AM »

D is spot on as usual!

hihi

Do you find it just the tiny bit odd only die hards like us gave this album a shot?  Is that ALL based on promotion, or maybe the reason the earlier albums did so good is because they are amazing?!?!

Oh I'm aware that there are tons of other factors. For me, the least of which being quality of music. True story;

Of everyone I know, there are only 2 people that won't give the album any sort of fair shot. They're both pretty much "AXL TOOK FOREVER TO MAKE THIS!" or "IT'S NOT THE REAL GUNS N' ROSES!" type of guys. Neither of them would give the music a shot, at all. Every other person I know including a person who never really liked "the original Guns N' Roses" gave the music an honest listen and either likes the majority of, or the entire record.

So last Saturday, I'm at a poker game and I brough my laptop to DJ with. I put "Sorry" in the mix. One of the two people who won't listen to the album was playing in the poker game. About half way through Sorry he says "Hey, what album is this off?" and ofcourse my response was "Are you being serious right now?"

Everyone else at the poker table just kinda looked at him then waited for me to finish. I said "Um... this is the one you won't give a fair chance" so he says "Well is the rest of is this good?" and I said "Well, let me put it this way; this is one of my least favorite songs on the record"

So you know what he did Sunday? He went to Best Buy and bought Chinese Democracy. Texted me yesterday to tell me he couldn't believe how much he was loving it. And this guy was DEAD SET against wanting anything to do with it.

So no, I don't think it's only promotion. I think it's peoples own perceptions that get in the way a great deal as well.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2009, 10:20:27 AM »

Great story and so true.

Certain people decided that they don't like Chinese Democracy in 1996.....

That's when their minds were made up about the album. An album that didn't exist at that point, but that's not important to these people.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sandman
Legend

« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2009, 10:32:35 AM »

this all gets back to promotion. find a way for people to hear it, and it will sell.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #186 on: September 08, 2009, 10:35:41 AM »

D is spot on as usual!

hihi

I was just kidding about bumping the thread in 22 years  beer
Thats a great story you told and im happy for you!  
i like the album but i just don't agree with the songs being better than WTTJ, SCOM, PC, NR or Estranged.
To me them songs are just awesome and will never be beaten.  

I was at a family party recently and we were all drunk listening to November Rain, paradise city, jungle and sweet child.  It was amazing seeing so many generations air guitaring and having great times.  But thats just how good them old songs are.

Its a shame a lot of people don't even know Guns are still around these days but hey... thats there job if they want it.

PS:  if Guns' first single ever was NR, i don't think it would have sold.  because they got so popular they were in a position to release such an epic song.  even alan niven thought they had lost the plot!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 10:39:01 AM by jacdaniel » Logged

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #187 on: September 08, 2009, 11:37:17 AM »

Great story and so true.

Certain people decided that they don't like Chinese Democracy in 1996.....

That's when their minds were made up about the album. An album that didn't exist at that point, but that's not important to these people.

/jarmo

Yep. And I used to be one of those people. Between 1996 and 2002, you couldn't have convinced me that Axl was going to product superior material to anything he'd done in the past. Then I forced myself to go to see them in November of 02 with an open mind.

I was blown away by the passion with which they played the old material but even moreso, I was intrigued by the new material. It was different than anything before it, different than anything else being done and just awesome.

When the record finally came out, I actually had gone from no expectations to high hopes. And I'm excited that it's everything I wanted it to be!

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #188 on: September 08, 2009, 03:48:46 PM »

So you know what he did Sunday? He went to Best Buy and bought Chinese Democracy. Texted me yesterday to tell me he couldn't believe how much he was loving it. And this guy was DEAD SET against wanting anything to do with it.

Chinese Sold: 5.000.001 Millions Of Copy, 08 september' 09

hihi

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #189 on: September 08, 2009, 04:27:52 PM »

So no, I don't think it's only promotion. I think it's peoples own perceptions that get in the way a great deal as well.

Very Ture, but w/ promotion = more airplay, your buddy may have already had the album...

i like the album but i just don't agree with the songs being better than WTTJ, SCOM, PC, NR or Estranged.

See you're going into it with basically a closed mind.... How can you say something you have not heard form the band yet, wont be better?

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #190 on: September 08, 2009, 05:54:38 PM »

Same bullshit every time. No wonder they are so quick to jump off and say how you can't prefer the new songs - but God forbid us to defend the new album.

D is spot on as usual!

Ill bump this thread in 22 years and see if you still have the same opinion.   hihi
People said that in 2001, 2006 and 2008 and here we are.

Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #191 on: September 08, 2009, 06:54:33 PM »

Very Ture, but w/ promotion = more airplay, your buddy may have already had the album...

See you're going into it with basically a closed mind.... How can you say something you have not heard form the band yet, wont be better?

he didn't say that....he said the songs in CD are not better than the old ones. I believe he has heard CD.
I do agree with him. CD is a good album, but it's nowhere near the old albums. only talking about the music now, not taking into account at all who plays on them. though I do find Axl's performance Better on the old albums.
but, it's a good album. pretty much no band or musician can live up to their golden days in later times. look at Metallica, Rolling Stones, AC/DC...and most others.
but I do hope GNR keeps it up and releases more new music though, cos to me it's still better than most thats out there these days.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #192 on: September 08, 2009, 07:34:51 PM »

...pretty much no band or musician can live up to their golden days in later times...

I disagree on many artists, not the least of which is Guns N' Roses with Chinese Democracy.

Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #193 on: September 08, 2009, 08:13:59 PM »

he didn't say that....he said the songs in CD are not better than the old ones.

He did say that, I just quoted wrong, see below:

To me them songs are just awesome and will never be beaten. 
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #194 on: September 08, 2009, 08:40:23 PM »

I love CD, don't get me wrong but WTTJ, SCOM, Estranged..........

Its better than most of the songs not listed above but to call it better than those is a BOLD Statement

but hey, its whatever u like I guess.

I think Better is the one of the worst GNR songs ever TBH. I absolutely hate it. WAY too poppy to be GNR.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #195 on: September 08, 2009, 08:45:09 PM »

And that is a BOLD statement.

russtcb
Legend

« Reply #196 on: September 08, 2009, 09:14:31 PM »

I love CD, don't get me wrong but WTTJ, SCOM, Estranged..........

Its better than most of the songs not listed above but to call it better than those is a BOLD Statement

but hey, its whatever u like I guess.

I think Better is the one of the worst GNR songs ever TBH. I absolutely hate it. WAY too poppy to be GNR.

WOW! And I guess that's part of what makes GN'R so great in general. How broad the opinions are of their own material in their fan base is a pretty cool statement.

Floyd fans are about the only others that come to mind that way.

AtariLegend
Not User Friendly
VIP

« Reply #197 on: September 08, 2009, 09:32:41 PM »

We both know Roger Waters is "Pink Floyd".
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #198 on: September 08, 2009, 10:16:06 PM »

HAHAHA, I prefer David Gilmore!
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #199 on: September 08, 2009, 11:01:17 PM »

HAHAHA, I prefer David Gilmore!

Or maybe you prefer David Gilmour perhaps?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: