Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 04:58:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  14 Years (since Vegas HOB)!!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: 14 Years (since Vegas HOB)!!  (Read 8930 times)
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« on: December 31, 2014, 05:25:30 PM »

Wow, time flies...it's been 14 years of......? Some silence, sporadic touring, a tiny bit of controversy, a long awaited release, some cool interviews/appearances and some major lineup changes since Axl's big return at the HOB Vegas...
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 05:37:22 PM »

Must have been a great show to be at !! Happy new year !!!

Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 05:49:51 PM »

I had the bootleg for that show for awhile.  The show started at 3:38 a.m.!!   I remember Axl saying something like, "I've been taking a nap for eight years." in a somber, peaceful kind of tone.
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 07:59:51 PM »

I am still looking for bootlegs from the two December 2001 shows

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
NaturalLight
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 07:52:05 PM »

I'm surprised the video never got released. Always heard rumors that people had it or that it was set for release and Axl pulled it or whatever. Oh well, it would have been cool to own at one point, but they've played a lot of shows since then.
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 12:00:54 PM »

I am hoarding it

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 01:07:00 PM »

The audio is excellent, apart fromsome bitch whinning about something or other  rant Some people really don't know when to STFU  rofl
MsRocknrolla
Opening Act

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 03:58:37 PM »

That show was a hot mess. And I don't think it's a coincidence that GNR never performed there again.
mortismurphy
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 08:01:06 PM »

Ballsy move really. His first show in eight years - with a new band - and he premiered five or so new songs!

I miss that side of Axl, the creative challenging side - not the cheese merchant.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 12:20:26 AM »

Ballsy move really. His first show in eight years - with a new band - and he premiered five or so new songs!

I miss that side of Axl, the creative challenging side - not the cheese merchant.

If you insist on labelling people disrespectfully, I am quite sure I can think of a few to throw your way.

Let's  start with "entitlement issues" and work our way up to "constant bitchy complainer and unsolicited amateur advice merchant"

Happy new year everyone  peace

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 04:38:29 PM »

Yeah, they never came out.  Odd.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
richbc
Opening Act

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 02:59:21 PM »

That show was a hot mess. And I don't think it's a coincidence that GNR never performed there again.
The show was not a hot mess IMO. Except for the late start (3:30 AM) and the Mandalay Bay security making you stand in line since 7PM without sitting down, it was an awesome show. The anticipation of them taking the stage was unnerving, particularly as we had traveled from Canada and were worried Axl and Co would let us down. Once he took the stage, all was forgotten and it ranks among the top few of the 20+ GNR shows I have seen.

o

Yeah, they never came out.  Odd.

The reason there is no video, audio, or photos from this show is because security was adamant Axl would leave if he saw anything resembling a camera, cellphone, or video camera. Prior to and as we entered the venue, security reiterated "If Axl sees a camera, he will leave". Sounded like a broken record. Whether he would have, who knows but nobody was taking any chances..
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 10:04:58 AM »

Wasn't there at the shows but there was a lot of buzz about it.
This was before social media, obviously, so the way to get info was through fan sites like this, mailinglists and news groups.

There were no instant photos back then.
Maybe some of you don't even remember how that was...  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 10:11:55 AM »

The show was not a hot mess IMO. Except for the late start (3:30 AM) and the Mandalay Bay security making you stand in line since 7PM without sitting down, it was an awesome show. The anticipation of them taking the stage was unnerving, particularly as we had traveled from Canada and were worried Axl and Co would let us down. Once he took the stage, all was forgotten and it ranks among the top few of the 20+ GNR shows I have seen.

Are we talking about the same shows?

Because I was under the impression the "hot mess" was not the relunch show on 1.1.01, but the shows at the end of that year in December 2001.

The GNRONTOUR recap suggests is was kind of a cluster :

A very odd and entertaining show. Unlike the new band?s first show together [1.1.01], GN?R hit the stage early - around 10:52 p.m. and play ?till about 1 a.m. Axl began the show wearing a #12 Oakland Raiders Rich Gannon jersey. During ?Welcome To The Jungle,? Axl gives the finger to some people in the crowd. There were many sound problems early on in the show, with Axl often leaving the stage while the band continued to play. Tommy sang almost all of ?Oh My God.? Robin also threw his guitar down during ?Oh My God,? obviously enraged by the problems. Axl?s odd presence continued on for the rest of the night, probably since he wasn?t comfortable with his sound-piece. Later on in the show he would yell at his sound guy. Buckethead?s first guitar solo is played pretty much to cover up for the sound difficulties. He played parts of the ?Star Wars Theme? and the ?Pirates Of The Caribbean Theme.? After ?Rocket Queen,? Axl told the crowd about the band?s current status. He talked about how these shows in Vegas were the first ones he wanted to play since the UYI tour. He nonchalantly criticized Doug Goldstein for booking the European 2001 tour without his knowledge, leading Axl to find out about it through the internet! He went on to promise that the band would eventually deliver on the album. All the songs were played straight-through ? there was no encore break. The most astonishing thing is that Axl worked through the night?s problems and didn?t let the crowd down by ending the show early.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 04:18:00 PM »

Wasn't there at the shows but there was a lot of buzz about it.
This was before social media, obviously, so the way to get info was through fan sites like this, mailinglists and news groups.

There were no instant photos back then.
Maybe some of you don't even remember how that was...  hihi

/jarmo

I remember that time well, and fondly when I see all the random hatred, repetitive complaints, and tiring whining on the internet.

Was an entirely different world then, and that was a great show love

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 04:46:51 PM »

Because I was under the impression the "hot mess" was not the relunch show on 1.1.01, but the shows at the end of that year in December 2001.

A very odd and entertaining show. Unlike the new band?s first show together [1.1.01], GN?R hit the stage early - around 10:52 p.m. and play ?till about 1 a.m. Axl began the show wearing a #12 Oakland Raiders Rich Gannon jersey. During ?Welcome To The Jungle,? Axl gives the finger to some people in the crowd. There were many sound problems early on in the show, with Axl often leaving the stage while the band continued to play. Tommy sang almost all of ?Oh My God.? Robin also threw his guitar down during ?Oh My God,? obviously enraged by the problems. Axl?s odd presence continued on for the rest of the night, probably since he wasn?t comfortable with his sound-piece. Later on in the show he would yell at his sound guy. Buckethead?s first guitar solo is played pretty much to cover up for the sound difficulties. He played parts of the ?Star Wars Theme? and the ?Pirates Of The Caribbean Theme.? After ?Rocket Queen,? Axl told the crowd about the band?s current status. He talked about how these shows in Vegas were the first ones he wanted to play since the UYI tour. He nonchalantly criticized Doug Goldstein for booking the European 2001 tour without his knowledge, leading Axl to find out about it through the internet! He went on to promise that the band would eventually deliver on the album. All the songs were played straight-through ? there was no encore break. The most astonishing thing is that Axl worked through the night?s problems and didn?t let the crowd down by ending the show early.

Agreed, those late 2001 shows are notorious for being riddled with issues. Amazing how they pulled it together by August.  Once Fortus joined, in my opinion, the lineup that toured the states in late '02 was the best sounding, most dynamic Guns lineup since 1991.  I'm so glad I got to catch them in Chicago that year.  Just amazing. Shame how that tour ended. 
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 05:49:46 PM »

I think the 01.01.01 show is actually pretty good considering all the baggage.

richbc
Opening Act

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 09:34:53 PM »

Looking at my ticket stubs as I write this.... I attended both the Jan 1, 2001 show at the House of Blues (Mandalay Bay) and the Dec 29, 2001 show at the old Joint (HRH). The report above likely references the Dec 31, 2001 show that I didn't attend, as it describes the same clothes Axl was wearing Dec 29. The HOB show is exactly as I recall, no sound issues that stick in memory (Axl was wearing a Charlie Sheen type shirt with dragon emblems front and back).  peace
richbc
Opening Act

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 09:44:24 PM »

Whoops, damn tablet. The commentary above (i.e. "Looking at my ticket stubs....") is mine.  confused
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 10:59:45 PM »

Whoops, damn tablet. The commentary above (i.e. "Looking at my ticket stubs....") is mine.  confused
Cool!
Welcome to htgth!

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R