Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 06:16:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2015 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 89 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2015 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 255964 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1600 on: October 25, 2015, 05:30:32 PM »

I think this article has it exactly right on the home run: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25351371/mike-moustakas-controversial-home-run-upheld-by-replay

I know the announcers said it wasnt, live, but again...heat of the moment.

The front view makes it look worse than any other...but the overhead view gives you perspective on the "stretch" and makes it look like he just can't lean over the field of play. It looks like it was either going to hit the field side top corner...and maybe bounce back (if it bounces over, its a home run) or it was going to hit the top front, which is a home run. I've heard analysis from mlb network, espn, cbs sports, etc, etc....and i dont't think i've heard anyone else say, categorically, it 100% wasn't a home run. It was a ridiculously close call that could have gone either way....

Looking at the various relpays in sum total (and not just one angle), you just can't tell. So you stick with the call on the field.

I don't agree

A fan clearliy reached over and grabbed the ball.   What if the bum dropped the ball?  Still a homerun?

A fan clearly reached over and grabbed the ball.  The umps on the field must of seen this and still rules of a Homer?  I get that New York has a hard time over turning the feilds decision.   But why was that decision made on the field?  Like the anouncers in the heat of the moment called it not a home run.   How come the umpires didn't??   How come so many of these u pure calls in the heat of the moment.  Went agaisnt the Jays?

Because the fox was in!!!!!
The fan grabbed the ball, if you look at the overhead view, pretty close to outside the field of play. And yes...if he drops it...its probably still ruled a home run (read the ground rules in the article i linked...if it bounces off the top of the wall and back into the field of play...homerun).

The grabbing of the ball doesn't instantly make it not a home run. When the fan interferes, if they are in the field of play (and replays are inconclusive if he was or not...top of the wall padding is considered out), its the umps job to determne where the ball would have landed, if the fan doesn't interfere, and award that number of bases.

The umps thought it was a hr... Either because they thpught the fan was out of play, or because they thought it was  off the top of the wall, anyway. The jays challenged...not the interference...because it was never going to be AN out..if it was a double or hr. New york looked, and looking at all angles, couldn't find enough evidence to uphold or overturn, so the call stands. I see the same things, reviewing all angles. Some angles look like a double off the corner of the pad, some look like it would have bounced off the top.

As to why the umps called it a hr...in real time it looked like one. The announcers said no after seeing one angle of one replay. If that was the only angle used, i would agree with them. But it wasn't. If you look at all 4 angles that have been replayed...it looks different each way. And the overhead view shows his arm stretch isn't nearly as far into play as the straight on view makes you think. Thats why "just one angle" isn't enough...its NOT the only one you need to see.

I don't think there was a fix in. I think it was a close call that went against the jays. It could have gone either way, and had it gone against the royals, you would see their fans equally ticked off. It sucks, as a fan, to have your team be on the wrong side if that call. But i don't think it was an egregiously BAD call. It was...even looking at the play over and over and over in replay, a toss up.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #1601 on: October 25, 2015, 08:22:48 PM »

My mind is made up!   But even I can't go back and change it.   I have spent two nights trying to find away too.   Watched a movie and everything

We will seek out revenge next year!!!!!   

MLB 2016 "The revenge of the Blue Jays"
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1602 on: October 26, 2015, 11:18:02 AM »

One more day, can't wait.  Should be a great series, I'm predicting it will be... yeah right, no chance I'm jinxing this with a stupid prediction.

Add me to those who disagree on going with Harvey over deGrom for Game 1.  Not brain surgery, you go with the better pitcher in the 1st game and deGrom's been better all year, including the playoffs.  I understand Collins' point that deGrom needs the extra rest right now, but he hasn't pitched in over a week.  He's overthinking it.  Now, neither guy would end up starting a Game 7 if there was one, which is fine, but one of them may be needed out of the bullpen that game.  I'd rather that guy be deGrom, but he would pitch Game 6, so there's no chance he'd be available in a Game 7.

One thing I like about these Royals is that they swing the bat.  The post-Moneyball wisdom, with its obsession over on-base percentage, has been that a walk is as good as a hit.  It's a not.  A hit is better.  Anyone else grind your teeth when someone walks after a double or a stolen base?  That irritates me to no end.  Not saying you don't wait for your pitch, but go up there looking to hit, not walk.

LGM.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1603 on: October 27, 2015, 09:41:25 PM »

Embarrassingly bad start to the world series for Fox. Can't get replay working can't keep the live feed on just awful.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1604 on: October 27, 2015, 10:55:45 PM »

Sincere condolences to Edison Volquez and his family on the passing of his father prior to the game today. Just awful timing.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1605 on: October 28, 2015, 08:18:14 AM »

Sincere condolences to Edison Volquez and his family on the passing of his father prior to the game today. Just awful timing.

Apparently, bad timing on the reporting too.  So many conflicting reports, so I'm not sure what to believe, but supposedly AP reported the news of his father's passing before Volquez knew about it.  Shameful, if true.

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1606 on: October 28, 2015, 08:23:16 AM »

Great game last night/this morning, though it would have been nice to have been rewarded with a win for staying up so late.  Familia was bound to blow one, as it had been so long since he had, but I think he'll bounce back from this.  Also, can't bode well for KC that they had to use their Game 4 starter for 3 innings.  But, can't be a good thing for the Mets that Harvey's fastball has already started its offseason.  Need a gem from deGrom tonight.  LGM!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1607 on: October 28, 2015, 01:11:30 PM »

Apparently, bad timing on the reporting too.  So many conflicting reports, so I'm not sure what to believe, but supposedly AP reported the news of his father's passing before Volquez knew about it.  Shameful, if true.

It seems to be true. It seems KC's PR guy made the decision to not tell him until after he finished his start.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1608 on: October 28, 2015, 01:12:14 PM »

Great game last night/this morning, though it would have been nice to have been rewarded with a win for staying up so late.  Familia was bound to blow one, as it had been so long since he had, but I think he'll bounce back from this.  Also, can't bode well for KC that they had to use their Game 4 starter for 3 innings.  But, can't be a good thing for the Mets that Harvey's fastball has already started its offseason.  Need a gem from deGrom tonight.  LGM!

Hurts both teams imo. They both had to go deep into the pen and need great starts from their starters tonight.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1609 on: October 28, 2015, 02:36:42 PM »

Hurts both teams imo. They both had to go deep into the pen and need great starts from their starters tonight.

Right, but Mets went deep into only their pen; Royals had to go beyond the pen and put in one of their scheduled starters.  I wonder if Chris Young will still pitch Game 4 after going 3 innings yesterday.  He's a only a 5-inning starter on regular rest and has a history of arm trouble. 
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1610 on: October 28, 2015, 03:15:05 PM »

You'd think that would help the Mets the longer this one goes.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1611 on: October 28, 2015, 11:02:46 PM »

Houston this is the Mets, we have a big problem.
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #1612 on: October 29, 2015, 08:17:53 AM »

Great start for the Kansas City Royals! Could a World Series sweep be in sight? Smiley

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1613 on: October 29, 2015, 09:18:57 AM »

Houston this is the Mets, we have a big problem.

The odds are stacked against them but it's not over yet.  The '86 Mets also lost Game 1 by a run and Game 2 by 6 runs, and then went on to win the series.  Which means that's exactly what's going to happen now.   Grin   

LGM!

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #1614 on: October 29, 2015, 11:06:14 AM »

Alex A has left the Blue Jays as there gm and vice prez. 

Huge loss for the Jays.  And makes you wonder what the hell is going on behind the scene there.  Alex has a great baseball mind.  Had a career year and any franchise would be lucky to have him

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #1615 on: October 29, 2015, 11:52:41 AM »

Alex A has left the Blue Jays as there gm and vice prez. 

Huge loss for the Jays.  And makes you wonder what the hell is going on behind the scene there.  Alex has a great baseball mind.  Had a career year and any franchise would be lucky to have him

I found it strange when they brought in Shapiro , right in the middle of their big turnaround.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #1616 on: October 29, 2015, 12:46:52 PM »

Beaston didn't hire Shapiro.   It was the presedent of Rogers sports.  Beaston was actually grooming double a to take his spot.   
I am sure Shapiro was brought in with the mindset that the Jays were going to tank again and would have to clean house.  Now with the Jays set to make the playoffs for the next couple years.  Shapiro is not needed in baseball ops at all.   

Rogers is run by a bunch of Dutchmen that don't have clue about anything.   Bunch of cheap penny pinchers
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #1617 on: October 29, 2015, 01:04:27 PM »

Beaston didn't hire Shapiro.   It was the presedent of Rogers sports.  Beaston was actually grooming double a to take his spot.   
I am sure Shapiro was brought in with the mindset that the Jays were going to tank again and would have to clean house.  Now with the Jays set to make the playoffs for the next couple years.  Shapiro is not needed in baseball ops at all.   

Rogers is run by a bunch of Dutchmen that don't have clue about anything.   Bunch of cheap penny pinchers

Are they really set to be a perennial playoff team?

Price... let's face it... will likely be elsewhere. The Yankees, Sox and Orioles are all just as capable to finish in first next season.

I guess they will be the favorite going in to the season, but certainly they are not set up for 5 years of dominance.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1618 on: October 29, 2015, 01:07:45 PM »

Great start for the Kansas City Royals! Could a World Series sweep be in sight? Smiley

I think the Series gets back to KC, still going with the Royals in 6.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #1619 on: October 29, 2015, 02:26:57 PM »

Are they really set to be a perennial playoff team?

Price... let's face it... will likely be elsewhere. The Yankees, Sox and Orioles are all just as capable to finish in first next season.

I guess they will be the favorite going in to the season, but certainly they are not set up for 5 years of dominance.

They are set for the next 3 years
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 89 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: