Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 02:59:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  In a perfect world, what would the ideal situation be?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In a perfect world, what would the ideal situation be?  (Read 59094 times)
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2015, 09:24:56 AM »

Not that anybody cares but I would have just rolled with these ten songs.......tracklist them however you want....nice tight album.  peace

Welcome To The Jungle

Live And Let Die

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Sweet Child Of Mine

November Rain

Patience

Paradise City

Civil War

You Could Be Mine

Don't Cry (original)

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2015, 11:47:37 AM »

The second Greatest Hits record that's been mentioned here was actually a "best of" double album called "Welcome To The Jungle: The Very Best Of Guns N' Roses".

The cover art leaked, and I remember we managed to figure out the track list:

Track list:

CD 1:
1. Welcome To The Jungle
2. Mr. Brownstone
3. Sweet Child O' Mine
4. November Rain
5. Civil War
6. 14 Years
7. Used To Love Her
8. Out Ta Get Me
9. Down On The Farm
10. Perfect Crime
11. My Michelle
12. Coma
13. Move To The City
14. Nightrain
15. Live And Let Die
16. Don't Cry

CD 2:
1. It's So Easy
2. You Could Be Mine
3. Paradise City
4. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
5. Patience
6. Yesterdays
7. Pretty Tied Up
8. Black Leather
9. Double Talkin' Jive
10. Locomotive
11. Dead Horse
12. You're Crazy
13. Estranged
14. Rocket Queen

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2015, 11:53:24 AM »

Now if they were to release that double best of album, you could say good buy to sales of all there past albums. 

It's pretty silly that a band at the time only really had 4 albums of original music would release 3 CDs worth of a compilation of those 4 albums.  Hahaha. Crazy

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2015, 12:04:17 PM »

Now if they were to release that double best of album, you could say good buy to sales of all there past albums. 

It's pretty silly that a band at the time only really had 4 albums of original music would release 3 CDs worth of a compilation of those 4 albums.  Hahaha. Crazy

There was probably a good reason why they considered doing this. I can't remember if this was with band involvement or not, but as the band disagreed on the final track list of the firs Greatest Hits, this could've been their response as to what it should've been.

As for sales of their past albums, they were released so long ago at the time that I doubt that was part of the equation. The income they (band and record company) got from sales of the original albums in 2005 was probably not very much anyway. A best of release would have multiplied their then current album sales income many, many times. It's all about the money I guess.

Anyways, I think this one was ultimately scrapped because Chinese got slated for release in 2006.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:06:11 PM by Spirit » Logged

Sweetness is a virtue
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2015, 12:12:13 PM »

There was probably a good reason why they considered doing this. I can't remember if this was with band involvement or not, but as the band disagreed on the final track list of the firs Greatest Hits, this could've been their response as to what it should've been.

As for sales of their past albums, they were released so long ago at the time that I doubt that was part of the equation. The income they (band and record company) got from sales of the original albums in 2005 was probably not very much anyway. A best of release would have multiplied their then current album sales income many, many times. It's all about the money I guess.

Anyways, I think this one was ultimately scrapped because Chinese got slated for release in 2006.

No this was going to be forced out by the record company if Axl did not turn over CD.  Once he did plans for this best of album where scrapped

The old band members and Axl sued the record company and lost.  This was to try and prevent the release of the first GH album.  Part of there argument was that a GH album would affect sales of there past albums...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2015, 12:16:50 PM »

No this was going to be forced out by the record company if Axl did not turn over CD.  Once he did plans for this best of album where scrapped

The old band members and Axl sued the record company and lost.  This was to try and prevent the release of the first GH album.  Part of there argument was that a GH album would affect sales of there past albums...

I know the first GH album was all record company. I'm not 100% sure about this "best of"?release. It even uses their then new logo on the cover, it seems to me like this is something Axl had okayed.

Sweetness is a virtue
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2015, 12:22:16 PM »

The record company did threaten to release another greatest hits album if they didn't receive CD

If what you posted above is that, or isn't that, I don't know   

The band wouldn't have any say in the release of a greatest hits 2.0, as they didn't in the first and lost a law suit dealing with it

They band was very public with the fact that they didn't want the first GH album released, so I can't see how there minds would change just a couple years later.

But mb there minds did change with the huge success that GH was
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2015, 12:24:41 PM »

Or, they wanted to put out something that would destroy GH. Either way, it would be a win-win financially speaking.

Sweetness is a virtue
mortismurphy
« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2015, 12:28:05 PM »

There is no way TSI tracks should ever be on any kind of best of. That album stinks to high heaven.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2015, 12:29:24 PM »

There is no way TSI tracks should ever be on any kind of best of. That album stinks to high heaven.

As a punk album yes.

As a GN'R album, I think it's okay.

Sweetness is a virtue
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2015, 12:38:32 PM »

Or, they wanted to put out something that would destroy GH. Either way, it would be a win-win financially speaking.

It would not be a win win

A double best of album that is just a compilation of there past 4 albums would totally kill sales of those past 4 albums.  Plain and simple

There best bet would be to release a hybrid.  Half the album would be best of tracks and half the album unreleased songs

Promote the album with proper marketing and a touring band with Axl singing and I don't care who else is in it..... 
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2015, 12:41:10 PM »

It was fine for what it was attended to be.  Which was just a gap filler until the next studio album.   That studio album just took 15 years to come out.  And the gap greated was just to big to fill with the album TSI

I like down on the farm and new rose.  But again....   A band with only 4 studio albums should stay away from all these covers! 
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2015, 12:50:19 PM »

The second Greatest Hits record that's been mentioned here was actually a "best of" double album called "Welcome To The Jungle: The Very Best Of Guns N' Roses".

The cover art leaked, and I remember we managed to figure out the track list:

Track list:

CD 1:
1. Welcome To The Jungle
2. Mr. Brownstone
3. Sweet Child O' Mine
4. November Rain
5. Civil War
6. 14 Years
7. Used To Love Her
8. Out Ta Get Me
9. Down On The Farm
10. Perfect Crime
11. My Michelle
12. Coma
13. Move To The City
14. Nightrain
15. Live And Let Die
16. Don't Cry

CD 2:
1. It's So Easy
2. You Could Be Mine
3. Paradise City
4. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
5. Patience
6. Yesterdays
7. Pretty Tied Up
8. Black Leather
9. Double Talkin' Jive
10. Locomotive
11. Dead Horse
12. You're Crazy
13. Estranged
14. Rocket Queen

Thank you Spirit, was looking for that when I posted the BBM link  beer

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2015, 12:59:20 PM »

A double best of album that is just a compilation of there past 4 albums would totally kill sales of those past 4 albums.  Plain and simple

The album sales of their studio albums couldn't have been very high in 2005. As I said, not their main income source so to speak.

If the sales numbers of a "Best of" would've exceeded the combined sales numbers they had of their albums in the year of 2005, why would they care if the sales went down on the rest of the albums? They would've made more money.

Sweetness is a virtue
mortismurphy
« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2015, 01:01:00 PM »

There best bet would be to release a hybrid.  Half the album would be best of tracks and half the album unreleased songs

Promote the album with proper marketing and a touring band with Axl singing and I don't care who else is in it..... 

Haven't sales of Appetite and Illusion exhausted themselves? Although I do agree with your central point that four albums is a ridiculously low figure to cull a hits album from. You may as well just buy the original four albums second hand from ebay or amazon marketplaces. Twice the music for a much cheaper price.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2015, 01:07:33 PM »

So the success of the first GH album came to a surprise to pretty much everyone.  It was thought that it would also cut into the strong yearly sales of guns back catalog.   Which it also didn't.  Another surprise

AFD was very strong yearly sales.  I am pretty sure it sells a couple hundred thousand every year.  It's like Metalicas Black album.  People keep buying it

There were reasons the band tried to prevent the release of GH......   

But....   With that success there minds may have changed

If they could release another hits album.  With no costs involved.  And sell it between 8-15 bux and that sells 5 million plus in the USA like the first GH album.   And stays in the top 200 charts every year almost ever since.   I am sure they would take that
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2015, 01:10:01 PM »

The old band only released 46 original songs...12 on afd, 6 on Lies, 15 on UYI 1 and 13 on UYI 2.

not sure what my point is!  hihi

new band 15 songs for a total of 61 songs in 30 years of existence.  Tongue

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:12:03 PM by sky dog » Logged

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #117 on: June 03, 2015, 01:15:16 PM »

The old band only released 45 original songs...12 on afd, 6 on Lies, 15 on UYI 1 and 13 on UYI 2.

In one way this speaks to the impact and quality of the material they released.

Most big, legendary bands on the same level as Guns N Roses have much more material in their catalogue. Makes you think then, if you'd cut down the amount of material of those bands, down to the same amount as GN'R, would they still be as big? I think that list of bands would've been much shorter.

Sweetness is a virtue
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #118 on: June 03, 2015, 01:26:01 PM »

Those 46 songs are kind of the equivalent of Zep's first 4 albums...written and released in roughly a four year period...same size catalog as Aerosmith from 73-77...Van Halen's David Lee Roth catalog in the 80's...Nirvana's catalog while Kurt was alive...all pretty damn good hard rock bands in my humble opinion.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #119 on: June 03, 2015, 01:40:41 PM »

Those 46 songs are kind of the equivalent of Zep's first 4 albums...written and released in roughly a four year period...same size catalog as Aerosmith from 73-77...Van Halen's David Lee Roth catalog in the 80's...Nirvana's catalog while Kurt was alive...all pretty damn good hard rock bands in my humble opinion.

After a while there just isn't anything to write about.......

Most artistest best work comes in the first few years    Sometimes financial struggles, drug and substance abuse, parting hard, ones upbringing (told throw songs)....   Usually all covered in the first few years

Bands get rich.  Get married.  Have kids.  Settle down....   What is left to write about?

Personally I like when bands age.  Usually they become better musicians so the live shows and recordings are better.    It's just the lyrics that don't really age all that well
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: