Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 07:51:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Izzy's "demotion"
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Izzy's "demotion"  (Read 54186 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #220 on: November 09, 2015, 02:47:42 PM »

Not true, he had a great deal of support and people that understood his decision.

The minority was vocal, just like on the internet.

A lot of people know what an insider circle jerk the RRHOF is.

Yeah, its not nearly the objective and credible operation Axl's Online Defense Force is, I guess.

Axl's Online Defense Force : Circling The Wagons Since 1996!!

He did not receive wide support.  He was panned just about everywhere, up to and including being booed AT THE ACTUAL EVENT.

Just because Axl says it, it doesn't make it so.  It just means its something he said.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #221 on: November 09, 2015, 02:49:32 PM »

If we're going by contribution alone to say who was the "main" influence on the band, well....

Izzy, in terms of GN'R's discography as a whole, has more songs credited solely to himself, or written in collaboration, than any other member.

The following songs would not exist in the GN'R catalog without Izzy alone (songs on which he receives full musical/lyrical credit):

Mr. Brownstone
Think About You
Dust N' Bones
Patience
You Ain't the First
Double Talkin' Jive
Pretty Tied Up

GN'R songs to 1993 which Axl receives sole musical/lyrical credit:

November Rain
Estranged
Breakdown
Dead Horse
My World

In terms of bringing the most songs fully to the table, Izzy would be thus the 'main influence', especially when we also count the songs co-written by him.

But we know he wasn't the main influence; there was no "main influence". It was a BAND effort. Not an Axl effort, or a Slash effort, or an Izzy or Duff effort...But a band effort.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #222 on: November 09, 2015, 02:49:54 PM »

You are trying to devalue and discredit the main influence of the band , it is laughable.

I don't think he is trying to devalue or discredit Axl. However he is trying to say he was not the MAIN influence in the band the way you like to believe.

He was the main influence, you are undervaluing what he actually contributed, how he influenced the others and what he brought in.

That's a matter of opinion, and that is why some people, me included, disagree with you.
We are not putting Axl down because we give credit to the other guys.

No, it is not opinion -it is very apparent if you are actually aware of the details.

Whose lyrics made SCOM? Who brought in NR? Who brought in Estranged? There are too many items to mention, I suggest you do some research.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #223 on: November 09, 2015, 02:54:04 PM »

Whose lyrics made SCOM? Who brought in NR? Who brought in Estranged? There are too many items to mention, I suggest you do some research.

Whose guitar work gave us SCOM's iconic intro and solos? Whose strumming came up with the musical framework of the song to begin with?
Whose solos lifted NR to another level?
Whose soloing and guitar melodies lifted Estranged to another plane, to the point they were thanked personally for the "killer guitar melodies"?

Do you think NR would've been as much of a hit if it was just Axl and a piano for 9 minutes?

Again...band effort. Collaboration. Group effort....No member more important the next....
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #224 on: November 09, 2015, 02:54:30 PM »

Not true, he had a great deal of support and people that understood his decision.

Yeah, its not nearly the objective and credible operation Axl's Online Defense Force is, I guess.

He did not receive wide support.  He was panned just about everywhere, up to and including being booed AT THE ACTUAL EVENT.

Just because Axl says it, it doesn't make it so.  It just means its something he said.

You are wrong again.

The booing was staged IMO.

There are a good many people that know how corrupt the RRHOF is, and why it is simply an Insider way to make money off Rock acts-

The people that complained were more vocal, that's all.

"Shut the fuck up."
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #225 on: November 09, 2015, 02:56:59 PM »

Whose guitar work gave us SCOM's iconic intro and solos? Whose strumming came up with the musical framework of the song to begin with?
Whose solos lifted NR to another level?
Whose soloing and guitar melodies lifted Estranged to another plane, to the point they were thanked personally for the "killer guitar melodies"?

Do you think NR would've been as much of a hit if it was just Axl and a piano for 9 minutes?

Again...band effort. Collaboration. Group effort....No member more important the next....

SCOM was a guitar exercise that likely would have remained a guitar exercise if left to Slash.

Writing a solo for an Existing song is not the same as writing/composing the song.

Yes, NR would have been a great song regardless.

You are striving to minimize how important and what a driving force and influence Axl was and is.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 02:58:44 PM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #226 on: November 09, 2015, 02:57:43 PM »

You are trying to devalue and discredit the main influence of the band , it is laughable.

I don't think he is trying to devalue or discredit Axl. However he is trying to say he was not the MAIN influence in the band the way you like to believe.

He was the main influence, you are undervaluing what he actually contributed, how he influenced the others and what he brought in.

That's a matter of opinion, and that is why some people, me included, disagree with you.

No, it is not opinion -it is very apparent if you are actually aware of the details.

Whose Lyrics? Are you kidding me ? Are you reducing SCOM to Axl's lyrics? SCOM owes as much to Axl's lyrics as much as it does Slash's incredible solos.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #227 on: November 09, 2015, 03:00:25 PM »

Whose Lyrics? Are you kidding me ? Are you reducing SCOM to Axl's lyrics? SCOM owes as much to Axl's lyrics as much as it does Slash's incredible solos.

Try and keep up so I don't have to type this twice.

SCOM was a guitar exercise that likely would have stayed that way if left to Slash.

"Shut the fuck up."
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #228 on: November 09, 2015, 03:00:57 PM »

nervous hihi OH my god, sure lets just make Billy Joe Armstrong feel awkward as fuck just so we can all laugh at Axl.
 confused

Conspiracy theory much ?

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #229 on: November 09, 2015, 03:02:11 PM »

You are wrong again.

Oh, for the love of god...

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #230 on: November 09, 2015, 03:03:08 PM »

SCOM was a guitar exercise that likely would have stayed that way if left to Slash.

Sorry for having a little bit more of a life than you  hihi
That's just assuming, if Axl wasnt there, who's to say anybody else, Izzy for example wouldn't have picked up the song and added to it to make it succesful, even if different ? parallel galaxy talk isnt very good conversation talk though.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #231 on: November 09, 2015, 03:04:03 PM »

nervous hihi OH my god, sure lets just make Billy Joe Armstrong feel awkward as fuck just so we can all laugh at Axl.
 confused

Conspiracy theory much ?

Nope, there were a lot of events leading up to this that lead me to believe it was staged.

Jann Wenner didn't get his reunion show, the RRHOF is corrupt.

"Shut the fuck up."
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #232 on: November 09, 2015, 03:06:50 PM »

Nope, there were a lot of events leading up to this that lead me to believe it was staged.

I heard that the sound guy at the VMAs in 2002 was a rogue Slash fan.

It all makes sense!

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #233 on: November 09, 2015, 03:07:49 PM »

That's just assuming, if Axl wasnt there, who's to say anybody else, Izzy for example wouldn't have picked up the song and added to it to make it succesful, even if different ? parallel galaxy talk isnt very good conversation talk though.

So now you go to personal insults about "not having a life"
Not surprised, looks bad on you.

Fact is , it was a guitar exercise and would have stayed that way if left up to Slash.

Slash came up with the riff when he was playing around on his guitar. He thought it was silly and wanted nothing to do with it, but Axl loved it and had him keep playing it. Izzy Stradlin added some chords, and the song came together. According to Duff McKagan's 2012 autobiography, Slash always considered it the worst Guns N' Roses song.

"Shut the fuck up."
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #234 on: November 09, 2015, 03:08:52 PM »

I heard that the sound guy at the VMAs in 2002 was a rogue Slash fan.

It all makes sense!

Sure, sarcasm is a great defense when you are engaged in a battle of wits unarmed.

"Shut the fuck up."
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #235 on: November 09, 2015, 03:13:12 PM »

Fact is , it was a guitar exercise and would have stayed that way if left up to Slash.

Slash came up with the riff when he was playing around on his guitar. He thought it was silly and wanted nothing to do with it, but Axl loved it and had him keep playing it. Izzy Stradlin added some chords, and the song came together. According to Duff McKagan's 2012 autobiography, Slash always considered it the worst Guns N' Roses song.

That's not what I said, I said I had a bit more of a life than you. WHich means you have a life, but I have little bit more of ? Ok?  I think you calling me a nerd is more a straightforward insult than my lil dig at you though.

However that's no fact. You don't know whether that Riff would have stayed like that. As a matter of fact, the way Slash remembers it on his book, He started doing the ''excercise'' and then (I think it was izzy and duff) joined and Axl was upstairs or in another room listening to their playing and wrote the lyrics, and it wasnt until the next day or so that he brought in the lyrics to the rest of the guys. So technically it was not Axl who said.. hey keep playing? it was the other guys hanging around with Slash in that specific moment.
So there goes your theory that it was just an exercise, the exercise became something with the other guys and Axl picked up on that organic something !

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #236 on: November 09, 2015, 03:18:48 PM »

You are wrong again.

Oh, for the love of god...

That's why I wrote IMO Duh. I'm allowed to have an opinion knowing the facts about how corrupt RRHOF and Wenner are.

Trolls aren't the only ones with opinions.

Don't forget Izzy, the other co-founder and Dizzy also chose not to attend.

"Shut the fuck up."
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #237 on: November 09, 2015, 03:20:27 PM »

Axl: I had written this poem, reached a dead end with it and put it on the shelf. Then Slash and Izzy got working together on songs and I came in, Izzy hit a rhythm, and all of a sudden this poem popped in my head. It just all came together. A lot of rock bands are too fucking wimpy to have any sentiment or any emotion in any of their stuff unless they're in pain. It's the first positive love song I've ever written, but I never had anyone to write anything about before, I guess.

Duff: It was written in five minutes. It was one of those songs, only three chords. You know that guitar lick Slash does at the beginning? It was kinda like a joke because we thought, 'What is this song? It's gonna be nothin', it'll be filler on the record.' And except that vocal-wise, it's very sweet and sincere, Slash was fuckin' around when he first wrote that lick.

Slash: When I came up with the "Sweet Child"... the main riff in the beginning, it was a joke. I was only kidding. And for some reason, Ax and Iz liked it, and it turned into a song, and for the longest time I hated it, cos it really was a joke to me. And now that it's become established, I enjoy playing it. When we did it in the studio, I started to respect it a little bit more. But when we were rehearsing, I used to cranch every time the name of that song came up. I didn't want to play it. But things have changed and I enjoy playing it now and the kids go nuts when we play it live

Slash: The band was signed already, and the rest of the band had moved on to greener pastures, living with some girls or something. But where Izzy and I lived, we had no electricity and no hot water. It was a house some manager - with whom we had no intentions of working - rented us, which we destroyed completely. And on an evening everybody happened to be there, I was sitting in front of the broken down fireplace going [sings opening bars of intro riff]. It was literally a joke! The next thing you know, Izzy started playing the basic chords, Axl got inspired and started singing, and it became a whole song.

Slash: Sweet Child O' Mine" was a joke. It was a fluke. I was sitting around making funny faces and acting like an idiot and played that riff. Izzy started playing the chords that I was playing, strumming them, and all of a sudden Axl really liked it. I hated that song because it was so stupid at first. I hated the guitar part. Now I really like it because I've gotten it to the point where it sounds really good when I play it live, and I'm so used to the song so I like it a lot more. But it definitely wasn't something I hummed out in my head. It was more like me fucking around with the guitar.

Slash: [Izzy] came up with some chords and since Duff was there, he came up with a bass line, as Steven planned out his drum beat. Within an hour my little guitar exercise had become something else. [...] We'd found a rehearsal studio in Burbank called Burbank Studios. [...] At our next session, we worked our new song into a complete movement: we wrote a bridge, added a guitar solo, and so it became "Sweet Child O' Mine".13

« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 03:23:30 PM by CherryGarcia » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #238 on: November 09, 2015, 03:22:16 PM »

Sure, sarcasm is a great defense when you are engaged in a battle of wits unarmed.

Emily, you are in full blown "Baghdad Bob" territory here this afternoon.  Mockery seemed the only reasonable response.

Axl had wide support?  The booing at the event was staged?  These are serious responses?

Why stop there?  Let's put our heads together and explain away every bad thing that has ever happened to the man.

Here, I'll start.  James Hetfield asked to be deliberately burned to make Axl take the stage before he was ready.

Now, you go.  

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #239 on: November 09, 2015, 03:24:55 PM »

That's not what I said, I said I had a bit more of a life than you. WHich means you have a life, but I have little bit more of ? Ok?  I think you calling me a nerd is more a straightforward insult than my lil dig at you though.

However that's no fact. You don't know whether that Riff would have stayed like that. As a matter of fact, the way Slash remembers it on his book, He started doing the ''excercise'' and then (I think it was izzy and duff) joined and Axl was upstairs or in another room listening to their playing and wrote the lyrics, and it wasnt until the next day or so that he brought in the lyrics to the rest of the guys. So technically it was not Axl who said.. hey keep playing? it was the other guys hanging around with Slash in that specific moment.
So there goes your theory that it was just an exercise, the exercise became something with the other guys and Axl picked up on that organic something !

It's still an implied personal insult but if you can't control your nerd rage, I guess it is to be expected Cheesy

Here's a quote from Slash

One afternoon, when the smoke was still clearing from the night before, Duff, Izzy and I were sitting around on the floor --- we didn?t have any furniture anymore --- and I was dicking around with that riff. In all honestly, I don?t really know where the riff came from but, all of a sudden, it started to sound really cool. Izzy started playing acoustic behind it and the chord changes started coming together. Axl was upstairs in his bedroom and he overheard it. A couple of days after we had put together our simple riff/chord structure, Axl said, ?Play that song you guys were playing the other day.? We were like, ?What song?? He goes, ?That one with that do do dodo do doo do do.? He had written a bunch of lyrics to it without us even knowing about it. It came together relatively quickly. We started rehearsing it and we wrote it from one end to the other that night [Classic Rock Revisited, September 2010]

"Shut the fuck up."
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: