Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:21:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Can the GN'R fanbase EVER be satisfied?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can the GN'R fanbase EVER be satisfied?  (Read 50679 times)
Sickthings3
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2015, 12:15:20 PM »

I think it's kind of a tribute to how great GnR are! Their fan base is pretty huge and wide spread. They have different sounding songs, kinda like Queen in a sense, as oppose to AC/DC, so people like them for different reasons. I see it as a good thing!  ok

As for me, as long as Axl is singing, happy, healthy, and writing, I'm good. I've been a fan since I was 7 years old in '88 when I heard Sweet Child on MTV. Made my Dad take me to Sears that nite to buy me the album!. I'm as big of a fan now as I was back then. They have always been a constant in my life and their songs have helped me through many aspects of my life that I will forever be grateful for. I've seen them over the years since 2002 and never once have I felt robbed of my money. All have been awesome shows and I look forward to the next ones!
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2015, 03:02:31 PM »

If Axl shits in a hat today, and stamps Guns N? Roses on it, people will bid on it.
But that is due to the impact GN'R made long ago.

Maybe so, but he doesn't exactly do that though, does he?  I think can just about everyone can agree that he doesn't release music half-assedly, rather he's excruciatingly obsessive over the quality of music with the Guns label.  Of course, tastes vary and many won't like what he has to offer no matter how much he puts into it, but he's not, and I don't think ever will be, going the shit-in-a-hat route with his albums.  Maybe the only time that happened was with Spaghetti Incident, but that was still pretty good shit.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2015, 03:11:41 PM »

"Excruciatingly obsessive" comes across to me as the good spin on "terribly unmotivated".

I think its easier to believe he's consumed this crazy attention to detail than it is to have to consider he's just not all that bothered to get going.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
AHUGEAxlFan
Rocker

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2015, 03:17:31 PM »

Nope

Join the new GNR forum. GNRnow.com we need help.

I love gnr, I hope you do to! Great band

-HugeAxlfan
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2015, 03:34:09 PM »

"Excruciatingly obsessive" comes across to me as the good spin on "terribly unmotivated".

I think its easier to believe he's consumed this crazy attention to detail than it is to have to consider he's just not all that bothered to get going.

No.  That's a different issue.  You can be obsessive about quality but still be inactive for extended periods (I don't know that he's inactive due to being unmotivated, but again, that's a different issue and one that doesn't really interest me).  And it's not exactly a leap of faith to believe he has an extraordinary dedication to maximizing the quality of his product, just about everyone who's ever worked with him has vouched for him in that respect.
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2015, 03:38:43 PM »

people are against it, because its like watching your best friend hooking up with his ex girfriend, that broke his heart.
you know he's an idiot for doing it.

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
AHUGEAxlFan
Rocker

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2015, 03:53:57 PM »

I never hated the new lineup in 2001, although I do want them back peace

-HugeAxlfan
AHUGEAxlFan
Rocker

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2015, 03:57:07 PM »

I'll be honest, besides buckethead playing his own style, there isn't a noticeable difference between ashba, slash and even Finck

-HugeAxlfan
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2015, 04:01:13 PM »

Honestly the online fan base, the people active on forums, are
a small percentage of the actual global fan base.

This needs to be taken into account to keep things in perspective.

I've been around on and off since GNRonline, but I don't lie to myself about the actual relevance of the online community.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:03:25 PM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Annie
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »

Honestly the online fan base, the people active on forums, are
a small percentage of the actual global fan base.

This needs to be taken into account to keep things in perspective.

I've been around on and off since GNRonline, but I don't lie to myself about the actual relevance of the online community.
That is a very true and profound statement. ok Some people treat bands like child stars. They want to keep them frozen in time.
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2015, 08:40:17 PM »

I personally cringed at the sight and sound of GN?R when they re-emerged at the VMA?s.
Never really considered it to truly be GN?R, since it?s overhaul was so drastic, but that didn?t lessen my enthusiasm over the prospect of new Axl Rose material.

I thought Chinese Democracy had it?s moments, but it?s a CD I rarely revisit.
The music that Frank and Fortus contributed to didn?t do much for me, so yes, in that sense, it?s very different to the Sorum, and to a lesser extent, Gilby?s situation.

Granted Adler had a hand in the creation of the Illusion material, but Sorum added his stamp as well.
Gilby didn?t contibute to the creative process, but he was on Spaghetti Incident, which I love, and he was a part of the incredible UYI tour.
Dig his Wild Horses jam etc.

Robin?s playing was disappointing when I saw him live, though I did appreciate his energy.
I didn?t bat an eye when he left, and honestly, I don?t remember much love for him period, outside of a couple posters until after he left.

I don?t miss any of the many players that have left since Duff.

As for the potential hybrid reunion, I think it?s still exciting, especially in comparison to the past 20 years, but that?s a very low bar to me.
I always assumed if there was a reunion, and everyone was still breathing, that it would be a true reunion. That?s obviously on me.
Izzy was a huge reason I was a fan of the band in the first place. They fell apart when he left, so it?s a bit comical to me they?d ?reunite? without him. But obviously there was magic between Axl and Slash like we have seldom seen before, and certainly not since, so that in itself would be worth the price of admission. Just not quite the happy ending that life doesn?t owe me.

I was happy to hear Axl sing  that night. I had all the Tvs turned on and the volume up. Then I was thinking WTF did Axl do to Guns N' Roses. You had one  goofball with a mask and a stupid KFC bucket on his  head. You had another person who was dressed in goth with half  his hair. It looked weird  and out of place. It definitely showed that Bucketed and Finck just didn't fit in the GNR mold.

I thought that Bumblefoot and DJ fit well. They with Tommy and Fortus sounded like a modern day sounding GNR, which kept to its roots.

I'll be  THRILLED when it is officially announced that Slash and Duff are back in the fold. This is what Guns N' Roses is and should be about. I would love to see Izzy and Steven, but if that doesn't happen so be it. 
oldfan
Rocker

aka.... hrmmmmm

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2015, 09:07:30 PM »

Cant make everyone happy  ok
Ive been lucky enough to see all versions of GNR, so Im satisfed  ok

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2015, 10:40:12 PM »

That is a very true and profound statement. ok Some people treat bands like child stars. They want to keep them frozen in time.

I don't think its about trying to recreate the past, which is impossible.

I can only speak for myself, but this a straight comparison from where I sit.  Cut and dried.

Do I want Axl/Slash/Duff and whoever else...or Axl and a bunch of dudes?  I'd want Axl/Slash/Duff and whoever else.

It's just a more attractive option in the here and now.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2015, 11:27:58 PM »

For the very limited amount of official material from the band

I think the fans have just done fine

Rewatching the same old shows.   Listening to the same old songs

I don't know how many times I have watched those Tokyo DVDs.    Hundreds I think
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2015, 01:00:58 AM »

There's also a small portion of the fanbase that are Axl nutswingers. They always support Axl no matter what, when new players come they support them, but when they leave they throw stones at them. Those nutswingers are usually against a reunion before its confirmed, if it is confirmed, its Axl decision, so its ok.

well boner, i think that term is just another invention shat out by the shit machine more politely known as axl's detractors in an effort to make his supportive fans feel creepy or crazy when in reality, he likely appreciates the support in the face of the massive wave of unfair parrotted criciticsm heading his way at just about any given time or place regardless of what he says or does, how him and his band sounds, or what kind of music they release.

Rewatching the same old shows.   Listening to the same old songs

I don't know how many times I have watched those Tokyo DVDs.    Hundreds I think

you didnt always feel that way. you used to find the neverending criticism unattractive just like some of the others here, including me. what happened to that side of you?

no, you cannot. its not ever going to happen with this band. people have powerful delusions of grandeur about the past, and this real living creature can never compare to the museum of statues and idols existing in their heads. false idols kill reality. the mind is the slayer of the real, it prevents relationship with life by becoming an often judgemental barrier between what is and what it thinks should be. pink floyd called this barrier "the wall", some traditions call it the ego or the self. its a sad fact of life.

No.  That's a different issue.  You can be obsessive about quality but still be inactive for extended periods (I don't know that he's inactive due to being unmotivated, but again, that's a different issue and one that doesn't really interest me).  And it's not exactly a leap of faith to believe he has an extraordinary dedication to maximizing the quality of his product, just about everyone who's ever worked with him has vouched for him in that respect.

dx insists that axl is lazy when hes the one neglecting his job and spending the whole day on a message board. its like internalized homophobia. inside he dislikes something about himself so he projects that trait onto other people and criticizes them for it to the point that it becomes an obsession.

what you have said is no exaggeration george steele. just about anyone that has worked with axl has confirmed his perfectionist ideals.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2015, 01:10:38 AM »

I always have bootleg concerts on standby.  Listen to them often.

Called up the 6.10.91 show, Saratoga Springs, last weekend.  Solid show.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2015, 01:11:59 AM »

dx insists that axl is lazy when hes the one neglecting his job and spending the whole day on a message board. its like internalized homophobia. inside he dislikes something about himself so he projects that trait onto other people and criticizes them for it to the point that it becomes an obsession.

What...the...fuck?

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2015, 01:15:05 AM »

There's also a small portion of the fanbase that are Axl nutswingers. They always support Axl no matter what, when new players come they support them, but when they leave they throw stones at them. Those nutswingers are usually against a reunion before its confirmed, if it is confirmed, its Axl decision, so its ok.

well boner, i think that term is just another invention shat out by the shit machine more politely known as axl's detractors in an effort to make his supportive fans feel creepy or crazy when in reality, he likely appreciates the support in the face of the massive wave of unfair parrotted criciticsm heading his way at just about any given time or place regardless of what he says or does, how him and his band sounds, or what kind of music they release.

you didnt always feel that way. you used to find the neverending criticism unattractive just like some of the others here, including me. what happened to that side of you?

no, you cannot. its not ever going to happen with this band. people have powerful delusions of grandeur about the past, and this real living creature can never compare to the museum of statues and idols existing in their heads. false idols kill reality. the mind is the slayer of the real, it prevents relationship with life by becoming an often judgemental barrier between what is and what it thinks should be. pink floyd called this barrier "the wall", some traditions call it the ego or the self. its a sad fact of life.

what you have said is no exaggeration george steele. just about anyone that has worked with axl has confirmed his perfectionist ideals.

One of these days I may take time to figure out how to quote something specific, until then I will keep up the giant quote.

You think I am being cridical of the band?   and taking a different stance than I have had before?

Nope.....

I am a huge supporter of the band

But....

Even a bigger supporter of the fans that have supported this band over the years...   It hasn't been easy......

It isn't easy now...   Where is this band???  Who is in it?   Where is the music?

Will the GNR fanbase ever be staisitied?

I say we have always have been....

But its like eating a Tapes meal...   Damn I need some more
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2015, 01:18:47 AM »

I always have bootleg concerts on standby.  Listen to them often.

Called up the 6.10.91 show, Saratoga Springs, last weekend.  Solid show.

From what I have read....   You are the audio guy, to me being a visual guy,  For this example.

Neither of us has the total amount of content we want..  Both are happy with what we have.  Both will watch and listen to the same old crap over and over again....

Does that make us satisfied?   I don't know....

I think it makes us pretty forgiving fans actually

For the true lack of material
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2015, 01:19:49 AM »

Oh, as fans?

We are GREAT sports, as far as I'm concerned.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: