Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 05:45:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227886 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Slash says "never say never" over return to classic-era GN'R lineup
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash says "never say never" over return to classic-era GN'R lineup  (Read 116670 times)
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2015, 09:10:43 AM »

Just want to add.. Jarmo is 100 percent right ... Slash didn't say anything new... it's not his fault the headlines are cheap grabs

Slash has never before said I refuse to ever do a reunion he's always been open to the idea.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2015, 09:14:22 AM »

There is a constant flow of articles going on, covering both past and present. Old and new.  And when one outlet publishes something, others seem to repeat/spread it.  It's not just one voice in the lonely darkness.

"Spotlight" might be strong, maybe.

But so is the assertion that "only the die hards" are talking about GnR.  Because, if that were true, those articles would dry up....because media sites aren't going to continue to publish material that don't get web hits and drive traffic.

Everytime you think you're out...we pull you back in.

What is any of that adding to GNR legacy though?  That was where I was going.  These pieces you are talking about do get mentioned, but is there any sort of talk about the current band?  Not really.  They get noticed because Axl Rose was a huge star...25 years ago.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2015, 09:17:44 AM »

What did I claim you said? I dont think i claimed you said anything? The was it Slash's fault question was me playing devils advicate, not me claiming you were implying that.

Ok, fair enough.  ok

Let me tackle this one...As someone in a band..I want the people who follow us to want more. I dont want them to be content. They allow us to do something we love for a living. So I dont view it as them demanding things from us. I view it as them being interested. Once they lose interest its over.

The fact that GNR has been able to have and enjoy this level of support and demand for as long as they have is a testament to the body of work that they produced.

I know about interest and that's cool.
It's just the "Please, we need ________" stuff that I don't relate to.

Where has all this press been?  "In the spotlight"?  Where are you living?  No one talks about the current band but we diehards. 

For a guy who claims he reads all interviews, it's kinda amusing you now claiming there was no press.
Selective memory?

Every time Axl talks, it ends up in the press. And it's the same every time he does an interview or shows get announced.

No matter how much you try to discredit Axl, the fact is people are intrigued by him because there's nobody else like him. And that's something you don't seem to like.
Your excuse seems to be that it's all because of something that happened decades ago. You don't see that kind of attention devoted to Debbie Gibson now do you?

Edited to add: Your idea that nobody talks about the current band. If that was the case, why do you think it was? Because Axl's the "bad guy" and he's doing something he's not supposed to. The whole "it's not GN'R" agenda. Obviously you'll just say this is me being this or that and looking for excuses. You're just too stubborn to admit that these sentiments exist among certain people.

Yes, a reunion would generate press. It's what the press has been living off for decades. "Will they or won't they?" has been the question asked for quite some time.

/jarmo

« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 09:31:06 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2015, 09:24:49 AM »

There is a constant flow of articles going on, covering both past and present. Old and new.  And when one outlet publishes something, others seem to repeat/spread it.  It's not just one voice in the lonely darkness.

"Spotlight" might be strong, maybe.

But so is the assertion that "only the die hards" are talking about GnR.  Because, if that were true, those articles would dry up....because media sites aren't going to continue to publish material that don't get web hits and drive traffic.

Everytime you think you're out...we pull you back in.

What is any of that adding to GNR legacy though?  That was where I was going.  These pieces you are talking about do get mentioned, but is there any sort of talk about the current band?  Not really.  They get noticed because Axl Rose was a huge star...25 years ago.

First all: That's a different argument, and one I'll let you have with jarmo, or whoever.

Second: DJ's interview weighing in on the current situation (and then having that carried by various outlets), All the interviews with Ron (and you know that, while he wants to talk about his solo efforts, the majority of the outlets doing the interviews want to talk about his status with GnR).  Again, those things crop up with pretty remarkable regularity.  I'd say those are talking about the current incarnation of the band.

I'll leave you guys to debate whether that adds to the legacy or whatever....but, like I said in the first post, it's a mixed bag of old and new.

To go back to the original point: You essentially said there was nobody talking about the band except us diehards.  That's just not true.

Jarmo's point, as I took it,  was that if the current incarnation didn't exist, you'd get a lot less of those articles.....a lot less of the media talk..which keeps the band in whatever realm of the public conciousness it resides in.  

Yours is that the conversations are spurred on by Axl, and what he did 25 years ago, not the current band.

Whether either of those are valid or not, there's no denying there IS a lot of talk about the band. Right?

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2015, 09:32:48 AM »

Jarmo's point, as I took it,  was that if the current incarnation didn't exist, you'd get a lot less of those articles.....a lot less of the media talk..which keeps the band in whatever realm of the public conciousness it resides in.

Exactly!

You don't have a GN'R tour or shows, you don't have any articles discussing GN'R.

Look back at the Chinese Democracy years. It was about the next Guns N' Roses album and the myths relating to it.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2015, 09:37:20 AM »

Yeah, this is absolutely where we disagree. 

Because I don't think the current band has a spot in the public consciousness, to be honest.

The DJ comments, and to a lesser extent the Ron comments, that's the stuff only we are noticing.  Because only we care what they are doing, present day.

The stuff Axl says gets picked up, yes.  But not because of anything he's done lately.  Its no different for any celeb that hits the biggest of the big time.  They will always be something of a curiousity because they were such big stars.  Yet a long time ago.  Its never really a commentary on what they are doing right now, or even lately.

So is Axl tweeting about a giraffe keeping GNR in the public consciousness?  I think that's a stretch.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 09:39:55 AM by D-GenerationX » Logged

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2015, 09:42:50 AM »

Because I don't think the current band has a spot in the public consciousness, to be honest.

The DJ comments, and to a lesser extent the Ron comments, that's the stuff only we are noticing.  Because only we care what they are doing, present day.

The stuff Axl says gets picked up, yes.  But not because of anything he's done lately.  Its no different for any celeb that hits the biggest of the big time.  They will always be something of a curiousity because they were such big stars.  Yet a long time ago.  Its never really a commentary on what they are doing right now, or even lately.

So is Axl tweeting about a giraffe keeping GNR in the public consciousness?  I think that's a stretch.

Then you guys should have at that debate.  It just needs to be pointed out that there IS a lot of GnR talk, old and new, that's circulated via the press.  It's not a great wasteland.

I'd also offer that if the DJ/Ron articles/interviews weren't driving web traffic, they wouldn't get done and circulated by all the various music news outlets. But, honestly, I've no horse in the above race, so I'll leave you two to hash all that out.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2015, 09:55:28 AM »

Let me do you one better...and this speaks to the relevance of the original band:

There are few bands in the history of Rock where you can name most of the core members.

Most people couldnt name the bassist in a majority of bands. Duff gets book deals and manages to still have a successful music career.

The same with Slash. He gets to do what he does based on his work with GNR.

I think that even if Axl wouldve dropped the name that band would still be relevant.

I mean look at Zeppelin.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2015, 10:04:11 AM »

Let me do you one better...and this speaks to the relevance of the original band:

There are few bands in the history of Rock where you can name most of the core members.

Most people couldnt name the bassist in a majority of bands. Duff gets book deals and manages to still have a successful music career.

I think that even if Axl wouldve dropped the name that band would still be relevant.

I mean look at Zeppelin.

I completely agree with all of this.

However, I have seen it argued here that people didn't know the names of the members, even back in the day. 

Now, personally, I think that is totally inaccurate.  But, I also recognize that it is motivated by a defense mechanism when people get their backs up about the fact no one knows the guys from the post-2000 line-ups. 

In other words, if you can't credibly argue with a straight face the current line-up are household names, your only option is to try and sell the things were always that way.

Which...well, I just don't find very real world.

Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2015, 10:11:22 AM »

I mean look at Zeppelin.

I completely agree with all of this.

However, I have seen it argued here that people didn't know the names of the members, even back in the day. 

Now, personally, I think that is totally inaccurate.  But, I also recognize that it is motivated by a defense mechanism when people get their backs up about the fact no one knows the guys from the post-2000 line-ups. 

In other words, if you can't credibly argue with a straight face the current line-up are household names, your only option is to try and sell the things were always that way.

Which...well, I just don't find very real world.

Well the way to answer that would be...why would the media care that the FORMER basist of GNR has written a book?

Im sure there arent too many bands where the press would care if the former bassist wrote a book. (Sorry to any bassists out there...including my own).

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2015, 10:13:56 AM »

Well the way to answer that would be...why would the media care that the FORMER basist of GNR has written a book?

Im sure there arent too many bands where the press would care if the former bassist wrote a book. (Sorry to any bassists out there...including my own).

Hahahaha

mortismurphy
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2015, 10:15:51 AM »

A reunion is completely unsustainable. It would collapse within two weeks. Can you imagine Slash agreeing to work with Team Brazil, or conversely Axl relinquishing Team Brazil in order to accommodate Slash? Do you in fact feel that Slash would swallow becoming a hired hand? Axl and Slash's work ethics are also completely different. Can you imagine them trying to record together? Slash likes to put out one album every year. Axl likes to put out one album ever twenty years.

I could maybe envision one or two shows but anything like a permanent reunion would collapse.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2015, 10:16:54 AM »

I am quite sure a good amount of people would care about a bassist who was an original member of The Replacements and played with Guns N Roses for 15 years.... hihi

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2015, 10:26:59 AM »

I am quite sure a good amount of people would care about a bassist who was an original member of The Replacements and played with Guns N Roses for 15 years.... hihi

Apples and Oranges. The Replacements (and I'm a fan of them) were never as big as GNR was in there heyday.

Also...( and I'm a fan of Mr.Stinson's), Tommy will always be remembered (and rightfully so) primarily for his work in the Replacements. He as well as the other current members ( are there any?) had the impossible task of trying to compete with the legacy created by the originals.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2015, 10:27:07 AM »

A reunion is completely unsustainable. It would collapse within two weeks. Can you imagine Slash agreeing to work with Team Brazil, or conversely Axl relinquishing Team Brazil in order to accommodate Slash? Do you in fact feel that Slash would swallow becoming a hired hand? Axl and Slash's work ethics are also completely different. Can you imagine them trying to record together? Slash likes to put out one album every year. Axl likes to put out one album ever twenty years.

I could maybe envision one or two shows but anything like a permanent reunion would collapse.

I wonder if it gets past the negotiation stage.

Axl considers Team Brazil family, but the other guys don't.  They have their own management.  And how do you think them all working together would go?

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2015, 10:29:19 AM »

In fairness sky dog... you are about one of 6 people that care about The Replacements on these boards lol

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2015, 10:45:23 AM »

In fairness Jaeball, I realize that. But, the entire universe doesn't revolve around AFD. Tommy and The Mats get tons of press....whether you care or not is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.  Angry

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2015, 10:49:44 AM »

In fairness Jaeball, I realize that. But, the entire universe doesn't revolve around AFD. Tommy and The Mats get tons of press....whether you care or not is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.  Angry

Not my thing... but I saw them last year ... I was invited and it was free.. I had a fun night out.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2015, 10:52:07 AM »

I wonder if it gets past the negotiation stage.

Axl considers Team Brazil family, but the other guys don't.  They have their own management.  And how do you think them all working together would go?

*****IFFFFFFFF anything was ever worked out... Axl, Slash, Duff and Izzy would have to lock themselves in a room away from all the irrelevant people to making music or playing the instruments.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2015, 11:01:53 AM »

Back to the topic, I would love to see the big four get back in the ring....don't think it will happen but it would be neat to see.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 29 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: