Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 02:39:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227993 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  WES BORLAND TO REPLACE BUCKETHEAD?!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WES BORLAND TO REPLACE BUCKETHEAD?!  (Read 24763 times)
DE
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« on: April 14, 2004, 06:27:39 AM »

From the GNR press release Lisbon cancellation;

In the meantime rather than dwelling on the negative, Guns will be moving forward and surprisingly (without giving away any details) this unfortunate set of circumstances may have given us the opportunity to take our recording that one extra step further. Regardless we hope to announce a release date within the next few months.

ie. they have a new guitarist lined up who will not only help to finish the album but will also take it that 'one step further'.

From Wes Borlands Eat the Day website;

I also have another possible massively cool (in my book anyway) project coming up that I can't tell you anything about except that I think it's...well great, obviously."

Do the math. If Buckethead is leaving GNR and they are not touring without him then they are shopping for a new 3rd Guitarist. Borland would have to be on Axl's list of potential replacements and he would be the perfect fit for the new band! In terms of pulling power he would actually give the new GNR that extra bit of credibility to not only the record but also a tour.

If you are trying to appeal to the 'nu-metal' crowd then who better than THE nu-metal guitarist!

What's ironic that in some quarters Buckethead was always held up as a Borland wannabe!

Let's all hope that Borland helps finish the album, it's released for Christmas, he get's offered and agrees to tour and we can all get on with our lives! Enough already!
grabaraxl
Rocker

stick to your guns

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 06:39:27 AM »

i don't think the words "credibility", "nu metal" or "limp bizkit" don't belnog in the same sentence.
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 06:48:50 AM »

JEEZ Christ!!
WES BORLAND CAN'T PLAY!!!!!! and i've heard his solo albums and they SUCK! he can't play!

this is just pure imagination.... but if axl was to find someone new, he could actually find someone who played guitar in the first place so just don't go there....

Chinese Democracy!
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 07:18:02 AM »

Gotta love how in the world of GNR we can all start believing that anyone doing some new project that they can't talk about automatically gets everyone believeing he is "the one"

No doubt....completely unrelated.

Welcome to the board - your first post fits in here!!!!

Buckethead a Wes Borland wannabe? Pllllleasssse....... - Not only was Buckethead first.... that just insulting..... no comparison.....

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 07:56:46 AM »

No way i dont want wes borland in GN'R, his style doesnt suit no

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
hackvresse
Rocker

I'm God

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 08:00:40 AM »

Buckethead is like 10 times better...

maybe we'd be better off without you anyway
madagas
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 08:10:26 AM »

Although I can't see this happeneing, I will give you a connection. Borland hangs out with the Tool crowd and I believe Pitman does too. It is not far fetched that the two camps would know each other.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 08:21:41 AM »

He'd be a welcome addition for sure

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Counterfeit_God
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 08:35:50 AM »

As much as I hate Limp Bizkit, and I dislike the noises that Wes has put out as solo projects, he is actually one hell of a good guitar player.

Joining GNR would actually give him solid credibility as a guitarist with the people who say he cant play just because he was in a band with a lame songwriter.
Slipdisc
VIP

~Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur~

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 09:33:03 AM »

Do the math. If Buckethead is leaving GNR and they are not touring without him then they are shopping for a new 3rd Guitarist. Borland would have to be on Axl's list of potential replacements and he would be the perfect fit for the new band!

Perfect fit? Not really, Borland is a very average guitarplayer. Good showman (where have I heard this before?), but that s it.

In terms of pulling power he would actually give the new GNR that extra bit of credibility to not only the record but also a tour.

He would surely give the band power in a live setting but that s it (again). Don t expect too much music-wise from him. Borland s biggest talents are his make-up skills and the jumping he does on stage (but then again he jumps really high).

If you are trying to appeal to the 'nu-metal' crowd then who better than THE nu-metal guitarist!

I don t consider myself part of the nu-metal crowd. What has the new GNR to do with nu-metal?

What's ironic that in some quarters Buckethead was always held up as a Borland wannabe!

No, what s ironic is that Buckethead was already playing like Satriani on acid when Borland couldn t even tie his own shoes. So who wants to be who? Borland probably wishes he could ever reach Buck s level of playing.

Let's all hope that Borland helps finish the album, it's released for Christmas, he get's offered and agrees to tour and we can all get on with our lives! Enough already!

Let s hope he stays away from the album as far as possible! Have you ever heard Borland s solostuff? The best thing one could say about it, is that it s funny...

Nu-metal represents the dark-ages in guitarmusic. After years and years of great guitarmusic in the 60s 70s 80s, it single handedly turned the guitar into nothing more than a background instrument. A player coming from this background could never fit well in a band like GNR. Borland wouldn t recognize a guitarsolo if it bit him in the ass.

-PEACE-

he cant play just because he was in a band with a lame songwriter.

No, I 've heard his solostuf it really sucks, both technical and musical....
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 09:35:20 AM by Slipdisc » Logged

Chunkie
Headliner

Here Today... DEAD Tomorow

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 09:39:22 AM »

Acctually.. i would be a great deal if Wes Joins GN'R and helps finishing the album... but acctually like someone said before Buckethead is a hell lot better so in this post im acctually neutral, i dont care what happens Gn'R has had so many guitarists in their lifes so im happy they release the album already... i mean come on... wewe been promised an album for a while now.. and acctually it has gone a hell lot of whiels now..

God damn Slash The Man
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 09:53:24 AM »

As long as Finck or Fortus aren't playing lead i don't care who is on lead, even if its Axl........

Just keep the rest of them from ruining any more solo's.....poor November Rain, poor Sweet Child.....u inhuman monsters!!!!!!!!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Crowebar
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2004, 09:53:34 AM »

Limp Jizz-kit sucks the big fat bag and so does leslie borland. yes

Bunch of little fucking goofs. yes

[puke]

[puke]

and, [puke]

Thank you. [bow]
madagas
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2004, 10:15:00 AM »

I will say that if a guy from Limp Bizkit joins Gnr, it is O-V-E-R. I could not think of anyone less suited to be in Gnr.  Angry
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2004, 10:18:10 AM »

Nu-metal represents the dark-ages in guitarmusic. After years and years of great guitarmusic in the 60s 70s 80s, it single handedly turned the guitar into nothing more than a background instrument. A player coming from this background could never fit well in a band like GNR. Borland wouldn t recognize a guitarsolo if it bit him in the ass.
Indeed. Imagine those ugly guitar sounds (both clean and distorted channels) in some song like Oh My God (with barithon guitar, I guess). It would be lame! Fuck, Axl didn't look for players who has only "atittude" skills. He wants a good guitar player with experimental and unique sounds.
A good choice to replace Buckethead? Why don't you call Paul Gilbert, Axl?  ok  beer

DE
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2004, 10:28:30 AM »

In response to Slipdisc,

Perfect fit? Not really, Borland is a very average guitarplayer. Good showman (where have I heard this before?), but that s it.

- GNR already have Finck and Fortus, if they are going down the 3 guitar player route what they need is someone like Borland. He's contemporary, got a track record and is a great showman. Just what they need if they are to attempt tour the US again! He'll bring added interest to the record/tour package.

He would surely give the band power in a live setting but that s it (again). Don t expect too much music-wise from him. Borland s biggest talents are his make-up skills and the jumping he does on stage (but then again he jumps really high).

- GNR musically is a group effort so they don't need to rely entirely on him, though in my view he's underated solely because he used to be in LB. Live, yes he's great.

I don t consider myself part of the nu-metal crowd. What has the new GNR to do with nu-metal?

- By new metal crowd I am referring to pretty much the whole record buying/ concert going public under the age of 25. If GNR are to pick up where they left off then face it, they need the kids in the LB tee shirts at their gigs. They won't selling anywhere near the 10 million +units they need to of CD record otherwise.

No, what s ironic is that Buckethead was already playing like Satriani on acid when Borland couldn t even tie his own shoes. So who wants to be who? Borland probably wishes he could ever reach Buck s level of playing.

- Yet Borland, with laces flapping, would still probably sell more records and concert tickets in addition to adding  more 'buzz' to the new GNR than Buckethead. Buckethead probably wishes he could have the same impact as Borland did in his work with LB!

-This is 2004! I saw GNR in 1987 and there wasn't a keyboard player in sight. Now they have 2!!! Times change and like it or not Borland is held up as being probably the leader of the new wave of guitar player today and his joining the new GNR would speak volumes about them being a contemporary act.

I saw the new GNR live in 2002 and in my view Buckethead was always taking the piss playing Pirates of the Carribean crap. Why did he not just come straight out with it and admit to being a mercenary bastard who was in it for the money/profile.

Buckethead was the antithesis of Slash but now he's gone and GNR need a replacement, Borland fulfills the same role, is known to the new GNR camp (through Pitman) and about 5 million more people have heard of him than Buckethead.

Who would you have?

ps. Have you heard some of the bollocks Bucketheads done??? The kindest thing to say is that solo records are often no indication of ability!
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2004, 10:29:55 AM »

I will say that if a guy from Limp Bizkit joins Gnr, it is O-V-E-R. I could not think of anyone less suited to be in Gnr.  Angry

mmmm........someone less suited howz about somebody from Blink 182, anywayz as for what if Wes joined i think it would suck he ain't anything special but i also don't think Axl would do something like that just to get more over with fans 2day i mean he ain't gonna get him for his talent
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2004, 10:54:20 AM »

First off: Wes Borland isn't all that good.

Secondly: Why do they need a third guitar player anyway

and D.) If they do add a third guitarist why does it always have to be some reject from a bad metal band.......why not some unknown phenom out of the Berkley School of Music or something like that.......90 % of those kids could smoke Buckethead, Johnny5, and Wes Borland anyway
Slipdisc
VIP

~Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur~

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2004, 11:00:25 AM »

90 % of those kids could smoke Buckethead, Johnny5, and Wes Borland anyway

BS, maybe they can kick Borland's en 5's ass, but the only guy that could -smoke- Buckethead was Shawn Lane (RIP). Nobody else..

-PEACE-

GNR - CROATIA
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2004, 11:03:13 AM »

People,   just LIVE with it!       GNR were over and DONE the day SLASH left!
IT wouldn't be GNR even if MATT,  DUFF and GILBY stayed.
But now?
This is AXL's   solo project called GNR.
Iam not saying this to offend anyone,  but for people who are above 20,  who used to go to their concerts,  who were 'there'  when they were 'there',  this is not interesting to say the least!
You'll never see Dead Horse,  Paradise city,  Estranged,  Nov.  Rain,  SCOM,  Breakdown,  Bad Apples,  Locomotive,  COMA,   WTTJ,  Don't cry,  Rocket queen,  Nightrain,   My Michelle,  Mr.  B,   Back off...,  the way there were.  NEVER!
That is the reason why most of the songs aren't even played since they left (a couple were from this list, a couple...).
AXL is aware nobody else can play them the guys did,  and he is not even trying.
I don't offend or provoke anyone,  but GNR as we liked them are DONE.
Nu-metal,  techno or whatever AXL is trying to appeal to new generations is bull shit.
GNR (just like NIRVANA,  PUMPKINS, ZEPPELIN,  PERAL JAM,   QUEEN...),  were so big they didn't need to care if someone likes them or not.
The day AXL did try to appeal, it DIED!
I don't care if its Borland,  Can head, Nu - Metal,  Rap or Techno,  IT IS NOT GNR anymore.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: