Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 10:48:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228063 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  AXL SPEAKS!!!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AXL SPEAKS!!!  (Read 77454 times)
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #460 on: January 23, 2006, 01:30:23 PM »

Well certainly he doesnt have pressure... Unless he cares what other thinks..
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #461 on: January 23, 2006, 01:43:21 PM »

There is a big difference between taking time to make an album right, and taking a decade to make an album right. If it takes that long to put out a good album, then something is either wrong Axl's confidence in the band or in himself.

There has to be a point where it just isn't going to get any better, and I would have to think that date past with the Clinton Administration (maybe he is holding out for '08).

And as far as "Axl having to do this right" because of the huge pressure on him and the band.... That is a load of crap, He put that pressure on himself by taking the better part of a decade to make this album and by putting the band in the position of having to fill the shoes of the former members of Guns N' Roses.

i agree that he put the pressure on himself by spending the last 6-7 years to record CD, but i don?t think that it was his intention to do so, or that the only reason was he felt it wasn`t perfect. but there`s probably much more we don?t know ....

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #462 on: January 23, 2006, 03:16:32 PM »

According to Mick something,  hihi a rock writer, the world of critics hasn't let Axl release the shit.

So blame it on the critics, coma.
Gordi
« Reply #463 on: January 23, 2006, 11:06:51 PM »

This might not be the place to post this but it seemed sort of appropriate.

Does anyone know where this site came from? www.gunsnrosesonline.com it seems pretty official, and in the news section is "stay tuned for new and information on chinese democracy, coming soon".? Huh just click on the stars for different sections.

I know the official site is www.gnronline.com but this may be a new one for the release of the album. I dunno just wonderin'.? Undecided
badapple81
« Reply #464 on: January 24, 2006, 07:13:11 AM »

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/features/article340717.ece

Guns N' Roses fans: your 13-year wait for a new album is over. Or is it? The US rockers are upholding the finest tradition of the 'creative hiatus'. Fiona Sturges reports

There is perhaps no greater mark of artistic genius than a mind-bogglingly lengthy gestation period for a new work. It signifies a mind weighed down by its own brilliance. It says that inspiration cannot be bidden; you have to wait for it to strike. If it takes years, so be it; such is the price of great art.

Fans of Guns N' Roses, the unfeasibly successful heavy-metal band of the late Eighties and early Nineties, have been tortured by the endless delay on Chinese Democracy, their third "proper" album, 13 years in the making. After running up a reported $10m (?5.6m) in studio bills, employing eight producers and hiring and firing at least 20 musicians, the singer Axl Rose still hasn't come up with the goods.

But, if recent reports are reliable, the wait may be over. Rose told Rolling Stone: "People will hear music this year... It's a very complex record. I'm trying to do something different. Some people are going to say, 'It doesn't sound like Guns N' Roses.' But you'll like at least a few songs on there."

This isn't the first time the album has supposedly been near completion. In July 2004, Tommy Stinson, the Gunners bassist, said the album was "almost done". At the time, Rose put the delay down to "legal and other issues" including "ego management" and "the psychological mind-game" of keeping a large band "simmering but pulling in the same direction". A few months later, he advised fans on a website that they'd be better off waiting for the resurrection of Christ.

Maybe Rose just doesn't know when to admit defeat. In the late Eighties, Guns N' Roses were just about the biggest band on the planet, but then the guitarists Slash and Izzy Stradlin and bass player Duff McKagan walked out. Ever since, Rose has had a shifting cast of band members and embarked on some catastrophic tours, claiming all the while to be working on a masterpiece.

Pop is littered with examples of songwriters either reluctant to get on with the job in hand, or incapable of it. Following his copious output in the 1960s and 1970s, Scott Walker dropped off the musical radar until 1995, when he made the wilfully inscrutable Tilt. Asked what he'd been doing with his time, he said he'd "sat in pubs watching guys throw darts".

Kevin Shields' reaction to the success of My Bloody Valentine's 1991 album Loveless was to build a 16ft barbed-wire fence around his house and swear never to darken the music industry's doorstep again.

Kate Bush's tardiness in following up 1993's The Red Shoes is music-industry legend. In a pop landscape increasingly starved of originality, her silence grew deafening - as did the demand for a comeback. Last November's Aerial was a spectacular 12 years in the making. In spite of its laboured inception, it was a critical and commercial triumph and sealed Bush's status as a bona fide legend.

Then, of course, there is Brian Wilson. The creative force behind The Beach Boys took 37 years to complete Smile, his answer to The Beatles' Sergeant Pepper. His fragile mental state during recording sessions led to him to having a sandpit installed in his living room so he could feel the beach beneath his feet. After trying - and mercifully failing - to burn the master tapes, Wilson threw in the towel and his "teenage symphony to God" ended up locked away in a vault.

After that, he didn't go near a recording studio for 20 years. It wasn't until last year that the partially rehabilitated Wilson dusted down the old Smile tapes with the help of the original producer Van Dyke Parks and released the album, to huge acclaim.

These delays conjure up pictures of an artist in torment, searching for their muse. But in the notoriously indisciplined world of rock, this is not always the case. Wilson's 20-year sabbatical might look like a punishing period of artistic purgatory until you learn that he spent much of that time in bed, only getting up to take delivery of consignments of cocaine and fast food. Unhinged he may have been, but these are hardly the actions of a man looking to get back to work.

One more persistent rumour about Kate Bush is that, rather than summoning her muse, she spent the last decade baking cakes. Two years ago, on visiting the singer at her home to see what she'd been working on, her label bosses were apparently confronted with a teatime spread that would have put Mrs Beeton to shame.

These cases cannot be called writer's block, but there have been plenty of artists claiming to have suffered from this in the hope that it will afford them the mythical status of tortured genius. In fact, "writer's block" can hide a multitude of sins. For a slacker singer-songwriter living off the spoils of the last multimillion-seller, there can be no better excuse to avoid going back to work. The rumour of creative constipation can be the perfect smokescreen for the artist whose greatest work is behind them, and for whom the prospect of a worthy successor seems impossible. In such instances, one imagines, it's less a case of writer's block than stone-cold fear.

The Stereo MCs, creators of the Zeitgeist-surfing, award-winning 1992 album Connected, took nine years to get back in the studio - but the resulting LP, Deep Down and Dirty, bombed. The Scots siblings The Proclaimers took seven years to follow up their Hit The Highway album, citing the death of their father and writer's block as the reasons.

And who could blame The Stone Roses and Elastica for clamming up when it came to their respective second albums? The Roses' sophomore effort Second Coming, released five years after their 1989 debut, failed to live up to the title's promise, while Elastica's The Menace, released after a six-year hiatus, was dead on arrival.

For a songwriter locked in artistic paralysis, a suitable theme can often be staring them in the face. Pete Townshend managed to haul The Who out of a creative quagmire with the lyrics: "When you take up a pencil and sharpen it up/ When you're kicking the fence and nothing will budge" in "Guitar and Pen". The Fall's Mark E Smith pulled off the same trick with "How I Wrote Elastic Man" - "I'm living a fake/ People say, 'You are entitled to and great'/ But I haven't wrote for 90 days." Last year, Nick Cave revealed the same affliction in "There She Goes My Beautiful World", complaining: "Me, I'm lying here, with nothing in my ears/ Me, I'm lying here for what seems like years/ I'm just lying on my bed with nothing in my head."

Of course, there's a difference between writer's block and simply being a perfectionist. But there is something compelling about a once-brilliant songwriter in creative exile. The artist Marcel Duchamp gave up painting at the age of 36 and devoted the rest of his life to playing chess. As for Axl Rose, maybe he'd be better off binning the album. That way, he can at least be sure the legend will live on.

'Chinese Democracy' will be released later this year. Allegedly
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 08:47:13 AM by Christos AG » Logged
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #465 on: January 24, 2006, 08:30:16 AM »

cool article.  beer When it started listing other artists as an example, I had a feeling they would say Elastica, and they did. We can only pray that CD doesn't turn out to be GNR's version of  The Menace.

jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #466 on: January 24, 2006, 07:28:45 PM »

enjoyed that article more than a lot of recent ones. hit the nail on the head in a lot of ways

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #467 on: January 24, 2006, 08:01:09 PM »

enjoyed that article more than a lot of recent ones. hit the nail on the head in a lot of ways

i second that, really cool article!

to the ones who don't think Axl feels any kind of preasure: LOL

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #468 on: January 25, 2006, 08:28:36 PM »

IF YOU CAN'T SEE THE SCAN, YOU NEED TO ADD www.heretodaygonetohell.com? TO YOUR FIREWALL/SECURITY SETTING'S "ALLOWED" LIST.

This is what the article says in the hard copy of RS.
The only pic they post in the mag is the same one of Axl with the Korn guitar guy that we've already seen.

Gypsy comment:? Notice how the quotes with the Slash and Izzy mentions are NOT in the mag.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
dolphin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #469 on: January 25, 2006, 10:07:12 PM »

thanks for posting that GS beer
rainX
« Reply #470 on: January 25, 2006, 10:10:22 PM »

thanks gypsy
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #471 on: January 26, 2006, 06:35:15 AM »

Thanks for posting the scan Gypsy!

"The DJ is playing some pretty bad music!"  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Cocaine__tongue
Axl's lawyer wannabe
Rocker

HAPPY HAPPY

« Reply #472 on: January 26, 2006, 08:13:48 AM »

Thanx for the scan Gypsy.

It does seem strange that the izzy and slash quotes are not in the magazine, after being published on the internet site...

Funny also the korn guy's quote....whose party whas it? hihi

Madrid '93
Madrid '06
Bilbao '06
San Sebastian '10
London 17
Download Madrid 18
vee
« Reply #473 on: January 26, 2006, 08:38:18 AM »

This might not be the place to post this but it seemed sort of appropriate.

Does anyone know where this site came from? www.gunsnrosesonline.com it seems pretty official, and in the news section is "stay tuned for new and information on chinese democracy, coming soon".? Huh just click on the stars for different sections.

I know the official site is www.gnronline.com but this may be a new one for the release of the album. I dunno just wonderin'.? Undecided

Code:
Registrant:
Guns N Roses Online

Molenmeers 6
Brugge 8000
Belgium

Registered through: GoDaddy.com (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: GUNSNROSESONLINE.COM
Created on: 19-Oct-02
Expires on: 19-Oct-06
Last Updated on: 19-Oct-05

Administrative Contact:
De Wever, Samuel
Allhostings
Hambosstraat
Leuven 3018
Belgium
(049) 578-0274

Technical Contact:
De Wever, Samuel
Allhostings
Hambosstraat
Leuven 3018
Belgium
(049) 578-0274

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.BENESOL.BE
NS2.BENESOL.BE

vee
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 08:41:04 AM by vee » Logged
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #474 on: January 26, 2006, 10:07:56 AM »

Thanks for posting the scan Gypsy!

"The DJ is playing some pretty bad music!"? hihi

/jarmo

Axl defenetly have a great sence of humor! hihi

I guess it must be kind of embaressing for Axl to come to someones(korn) party and the first thing that happens when he walks in the door is that they put on paradise city.

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #475 on: January 26, 2006, 10:25:37 AM »

Funny. hihi

Gypsy comment:  Notice how the quotes with the Slash and Izzy mentions are NOT in the mag.

And the line about the 13 songs slated for "the final album" disappeared as well.
dolphin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #476 on: January 27, 2006, 04:18:55 PM »

does anyone think that Axl attending a Korn Tour Release party was accidental or planned?

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #477 on: January 27, 2006, 04:22:03 PM »

does anyone think that Axl attending a Korn Tour Release party was accidental or planned?

What he needed to pee and the first place he came across happened to be the building where Korn was partying?

I guess he was invited and decided to show.

dolphin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #478 on: January 27, 2006, 04:25:01 PM »

but didn't the RS article say "Rose surprised people"?  So, if that were the case, I doubt he R.S.V.P in advance.

But, it's not like anyone is gonna kick Axl out of their party anyway. hihi
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 04:27:02 PM by dolphin » Logged
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #479 on: January 27, 2006, 04:26:19 PM »

but didn't the RS article say "Rose surprised people"?

OH,  Grin the way i understood it was that he "surprised" people cuz he is never seen in public much.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: