Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:24:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227771 Posts in 43246 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Dizzy Reed at Cornell Interview
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dizzy Reed at Cornell Interview  (Read 204251 times)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2006, 11:39:48 AM »

I think Dizzy was using a little something subtle called sarcasm.

pretty obvious. hihi You know what richard said.

your right,it is axls project but he couldnt do it alone,there is still a band and when the time comes and they are on the road or telly etc,you will realise that for this thing to work,it would need axls final word.and everyone except axl has been told,"keep your mouth shut until the time is right".

My freind, that is a definition of a yes-man. A pawn. "Your say is important when i say it is"

No. A rock band is a group of people who record an album and see it through till the end. People that will say "what the fuck are you on about? don't do that it sounds like shit" or "cool groove lets keep it but tweak the bass drum" or "how does this sound?" that is a band.

Not "hmmm, you know just as much as me about the new record" or "I'm not sure what the songs sound like now but they were cool the last time i heard them"

those are statements of a person who has a job and the boss hasn't let them know the whole story. A band doesn't have a boss it is a collaboration

That's true neemo. A Band works its best when it's democratic.

I believe they are when it comes to the music. and it is the leader's responsibility to bring them together and to deal with other things.
Still we don't know a shit about it. As they don't talk everything.

To be honest the idea of "Axl's solo project" sorta put me off.  Undecided

« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 11:41:21 AM by ppbebe » Logged
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2006, 11:49:47 AM »

That's true neemo. A Band works its best when it's democratic.

I believe they are when it comes to the music. and it is the leader's responsibility to bring them together and to deal with other things.
Still we don't know a shit about it. As they don't talk everything.

To be honest the idea of "Axl's solo project" sorta put me off.? Undecided

That's the thing that gets me most frustrated is that we get down to a point like this where we have specific questions about GnR and Chinese Democracy and the way the questions always get answered it's like they beat around the bush about it. contradicting themselves and giving us elaborate "maybe's" and "soon's" but never really answering the questions.

To tell you the truth I'd rather them all just deny any C.D. questions than spewing bullshit.

The way Madagascar88 typed the interview so far gives me the impression that Dizzy's either;
a/) thinking very carefully about the answers he gives so he doesn't reveal too much
or
b/) trying to come up with a lie that makes it look like he knows what he's talking about when he really doesn't
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 12:00:09 PM by Neemo » Logged

NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2006, 12:21:25 PM »

The way Madagascar88 typed the interview so far gives me the impression that Dizzy's either;
a/) thinking very carefully about the answers he gives so he doesn't reveal too much
or
b/) trying to come up with a lie that makes it look like he knows what he's talking about when he really doesn't

I'd like to think it was A. But in any case, this IS Axl's project, for all the reasons madagas said, and for that reason i'll take his word over the rest of the players. He says we hear new music this year, so I'll take it until i hear different from him OR it's december and nothing's happened (always a possibility). Though I wish our interviewer would post his little nugget which indicates something more positive to him...

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
jmapelian
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2006, 12:25:17 PM »

Dizzy's answers are almost as vague as Axl's.....how come whenever someone associated with this band gives an interview they don't say anything remotely informative....do they pass around a book "How to Give interviews Without Saying Anything?"
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2006, 12:42:36 PM »

and now hes like, "oh..well if slash says its coming out in march, i'm excited.." i mean? WTF?Huh

I think Dizzy was using a little something subtle called sarcasm. Roll Eyes

i was being a little sarcastic too haha. what i meant was he doesnt seem as enthusiastic about it as before.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2006, 12:43:15 PM »

It's not Dizzy's fault if he doesn't know as much as he would. Axl's got the key, not Dizzy. Stop bashing him.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2006, 12:52:04 PM »

You guys pay the most attention to one line and one line only. It was actually a good interview although it didn't sound very optimistic.

But, really if you guys want to listen to anybody about this project, it should be axl cause he's the one in the driver's seat.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2006, 12:56:43 PM »

the thing that gets me is. everyone says

"oh it's so great everyone has input and it is a band cuz everyone helped"

well tell me this, how come nobody knows shit about shit and all the band members are scattered about the world doing their own thing while Axl finishes the record?

IMHO It's Axl's project, will always will be Axl's project and Tommy, Robin, Brain, Richard, Dizzy, Pittman & whoever else in the "Band" are frogs and they Jump when Axl says so. For fuck sakes richard left his newborn to record more stuff for Axl. what more proof do you need?

That's what I've been saying for years.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2006, 01:00:12 PM »

your right,it is axls project but he couldnt do it alone,there is still a band and when the time comes and they are on the road or telly etc,you will realise that for this thing to work,it would need axls final word.and everyone except axl has been told,"keep your mouth shut until the time is right".

My freind, that is a definition of a yes-man. A pawn. "Your say is important when i say it is"

No. A rock band is a group of people who record an album and see it through till the end. People that will say "what the fuck are you on about? don't do that it sounds like shit" or "cool groove lets keep it but tweak the bass drum" or "how does this sound?" that is a band.

Bands can work like they want. sometimes there is a boss and the others are only puppets to play the songs, sometimes they have their input but have no say, sometimes it's a collaborate effor. But the biggest problem with this band that it's not working at all.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2006, 01:12:47 PM »

Bands can work like they want. sometimes there is a boss and the others are only puppets to play the songs, sometimes they have their input but have no say, sometimes it's a collaborate effor. But the biggest problem with this band that it's not working at all.

And how would you know that it's not working? If it wasn't working, then the band would have fallen apart a long time ago. Trust me.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2006, 01:15:30 PM »

It's not Dizzy's fault if he doesn't know as much as he would. Axl's got the key, not Dizzy. Stop bashing him.

That is exactly my point nesquick. How can it be a "band" if only one guy out of seven knows what is happening in that "band"?

If i was in a band I'd like to think i had as much say as the next guy. That's exactly why Slash left, everything he brought to the table Axl denied. I recall reading that everything on "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere" was written by Slash as ideas for the next GnR record, and Axl had no desire to entertain his ideas. I know it's not the best album of all time but it's got a few decent tracks on it, imagine if it was Axl writing and singing vocals on that record. It woulda been killer IMO. I'm not saying it's 100% truth but i know i read that somewhere.

You guys pay the most attention to one line and one line only. It was actually a good interview although it didn't sound very optimistic.

But, really if you guys want to listen to anybody about this project, it should be axl cause he's the one in the driver's seat.

My point again, everybody should be helping to steer the ship.

I picked that quote cuz I'm interested in CD and what the fuck is holding up this Album. If you read my post i refered to several of Dizzy's answers. I only quoted one.

I don't care about his thoughts on Slash or his thoughts on VR or How long he has known Axl.

I agree though, good interview. ok Just not good answers IMHO. Sad

But to me that is not a band. That is a solo effort with hired musicians. Obviously they are gonna help with writing the music. I'm sure Robin, Richard, Buckethead, Dave Navarro, Brian May & Zakk Wylde all know how to get what is requred out of a guitar than Axl does and Axl knows it. That's why he hires guys who he thinks can produce the best music. Look at Ozzy, ultimately it's his thing. If Zakk plays something he doesn't like I'm sure it is not used, it's not like Ozzy writes the guitar parts and Zakk plays them. Zakk wirtes the music. But who's song is No More Tears? Ozzy's or Zakk's?

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2006, 01:39:51 PM »

Dizzy's answers are almost as vague as Axl's.....how come whenever someone associated with this band gives an interview they don't say anything remotely informative....do they pass around a book "How to Give interviews Without Saying Anything?"

Exactly. And axl's are as vague as Dizzys. They are deliberate, from what I can gather. they are both

or

But in any case, this IS Axl's project, for all the reasons madagas said, and for that reason i'll take his word over the rest of the players.

Then, why doesn't he call it Axl and the Jobbers, like neemo suggested?

And what about these words?

''It's not an Axl Rose album, even if it's what I wanted it to be. Everybody is putting everything they've got into singing and building. Maybe I'm helping steer it to what it should be built like.'' -Axl Speaks
Rolling Stone, January 2000 http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=30

« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 01:42:18 PM by ppbebe » Logged
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2006, 01:54:12 PM »

Then, why doesn't he call it Axl and the Jobbers, like neemo suggested?

I'm not trying to suggest that the rest of the band has no musical input in the album-when i say it's his project, i mean that he is the one who assumes all the risk and reputation regarding it-therefore, he is control of how the final product is made. I think the quote you gave from the RS article actually proves that-he's the one steering it to what it should be like. Well, who's the guy utlimately determining what it should be like like? Axl! He's the Captain of the ship, so to speak,which means he ultimately will chart the course. All the shipmates can do is take shore leave until he says it's time to come back.

Dizzy's answers are almost as vague as Axl's.

How vague were Axl's answers, really? I guess there's some ambiguity as to what 'people will hear new music this year' and 'we'll see what happens' in terms of touring mean-but other than that, he gave a pretty darn specific update as to what was going on with the project (32 tracks selected working on 26, first release will have 13 tracks-he even threw out titles). Did he say, yeah it'll be out in October or something to that effect? No. But what he said was more than anything we've heard in a long while.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 02:01:29 PM by NickNasty06: Vengeance » Logged

---Nick Nasty--

madagas
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2006, 02:01:50 PM »

Which is the same thing he did in December 99 when he was interviewed by RS and actually let the writer listen to 12 songs! Again, we are in the exact same position as 1999-no tour dates and no album release date. Still recording. Do you not find that comical??? hihi
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2006, 02:04:16 PM »

I guess Black Label Society is no more of a band then Guns is?
Zakk writes all the material,and plays most of the guitar work..The other guys are there for him on tour.
At least Axl lets these guys write stuff.

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2006, 02:10:21 PM »

Which is the same thing he did in December 99 when he was interviewed by RS and actually let the writer listen to 12 songs! Again, we are in the exact same position as 1999-no tour dates and no album release date. Still recording. Do you not find that comical??? hihi

Oh, I find it absolutely absurd-i'm not saying it isn't ridiculous. And i've said over and over that common sense dictates the album probably won't see the light of day. But that I always retain a small belief that it could-and when I hear something from Axl, I will take it slightly more seriosuly than the other band members' statements.

---Nick Nasty--

madagas
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2006, 02:15:03 PM »

"slightly" being the key word...only slightly.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2006, 02:22:08 PM »

''It's not an Axl Rose album, even if it's what I wanted it to be. Everybody is putting everything they've got into singing and building. Maybe I'm helping steer it to what it should be built like.'' -Axl Speaks
Rolling Stone, January 2000 http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=30

ppbebe that quote could be taken in two ways. since i'm arguing my point "I'll help steer" it my way hihi

To paraphrase.

"Axl has a very specific idea what he wants for his album, or at least he did when it all started, it was the variables that added to it. but he still is keeping the core of what his idea was originally."

See, what I'm getting out of all this is that Axl is in charge of this beast, and he decides what stay or goes. Yes he is using ideas of the others but, his ideas come first and foremost. I have a sneaky suspicion that if Axl doesn;t like something that one of them came up with he didn't or won't use it, however if he likes something that others don't (even if it is all 6 of them), tough shit it stays. that is not collaboration IMO

Right now, to me, it looks more like Dizzy, Tommy, Robin, Richard, Brain and Chris are Axl's backup band. Yes they may be the current GnR but only cuz Axl says so.

I guess Black Label Society is no more of a band then Guns is?
Zakk writes all the material,and plays most of the guitar work..The other guys are there for him on tour.
At least Axl lets these guys write stuff.

You got it man!! ok Congrats, Same with Megadeth(Dave mustaine is notorious for burning through band members but that's the way it is, his way or the highway, he's got the talent to back it up too)

It doesn't mean it's a bad thing mind you, I love BLS, Megadeth, Ozzy, Silverchair, Nirvana, Foo Fighters the list can go on and on really.

It's just that sometimes people make it seem like dizzy sits next to axl when he writes music. I don;'t beleive that is the case, yeah these guys helped Axl write music for songs but I don;t think that they are a total collaborative effort
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 02:31:19 PM by Neemo » Logged

NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2006, 02:26:23 PM »

"slightly" being the key word...only slightly.

exactly ok

---Nick Nasty--

billsguy
Rocker

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2006, 02:34:18 PM »

holy shit this is the most negative post i've seen on here in a while.  this thread isn't to debate what type of band gnr is.  thats been done 10,000 times.  i think its pretty fuckin cool that dizzy went to a college, bullshitted with guys all weekend and partied, and one guy is taking the time to write up what happened.  i wish that happened when i was in college.  i think the key here is that axl is the main guy, the one who will greenlight any info going out, etc, but i also think that this band is much tighter than we think.  sure, they are doing other stuff.  thats because the album isn't out yet.  axl is tweaking and working.  it is his baby.  but i think this band clicks pretty damn well, and at least according to tommy, much better since buckethead left.  they are all rockers at heart.  but as axl said long ago, don't live waiting for the album, live life.  its because he isn't in a hurry to get it out.  yeah it sucks for us, but hes not in any hurry. 

i can't wait to hear the rest of the interview.  thanks poster for the insight into an awesome weekend.  question: did you guys initiate/haze him at all?  that'd be pretty intense to haze a member of gnr!

Mike
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: