Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 10:45:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  How good is CD going to be? Better than AFD and/or UYI?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How good is CD going to be? Better than AFD and/or UYI?  (Read 18003 times)
ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: February 18, 2006, 12:31:43 PM »

Since the leaks have came out, I've been pretty surprised by most people's reactions...
I have seen very little discussion about the music itself. No discussions on how it compares to old songs, or if its a leap forwards or backwards, or if it sounds like a cohesive band.

Instead, most people are rating the songs by "It would be a great single" or "The mainstream radio will love it" or "Guns will make a lot of new young fans"

Can I ask why that stuff matters? Why does everyone think they're managing the band and its success? We're supposed to be fans, not career advisors...

Also, it's strange how people have made up their own minds as to which of the new songs will be on Chinese Democracy. What's even stranger, is that it seems generally accepted here. It's almost like a "fact" that Riyadh and Silkworms won't be on Chinese Democracy, even though we have no reason to accept this. Just because you don't WANT those songs there, doesn't make it so.

We're fans.
It struck me as being really strange that everyone is focused on the business of the band rather than the music.
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 12:34:02 PM »

I wont get into those type disscussions will I have heard the final product.. Can't compare.. at least just not yet. "Soon" hopefully.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 12:38:31 PM »

see if britney or usher sells 8 million copies it's because of naive kids loving radio friendly hits

BUT if it's axl rose doing it today it because rock n roll sucks and need to be saved and the fans know good music..

Top ten rock is safe friendly music aka nickleback or greenday, but axl rose is making great music that people just love

Don't try to make any sence of these things..

I think better is a really good tune twat next then IRS which I like least..? None of them are my favs, I would like a song with a nice instant known intro like scom or a riff like jungle... besides the irs near end solo the songs lack some gnr type guitar work..? The songs themselves now flow well, they are very melodic but don't have the guitar rock I am personally use to which is weird being they have 3 axe slingers or had 3..
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 12:43:11 PM by mikegiuliana » Logged
speed-stone
Banned
Rocker

...i fell in love and baby...

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 12:45:16 PM »

judging by what we have heard so far this will be an earth-shattering record.
madagascar, the blues, TWAT, better, IRS... who knows what axl has in store for us! Shocked
not that i ever doubted his talent but this material is crazy.
i will sum it up in three words:
WORTH THE WAIT.

i see the light at the end, but everytime i take a step, it gets dim... tell me is this hell we're living in? if so, heaven's gotta be better, but if we're hellbound, whatever, it's going down.
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 12:46:51 PM »

I dunno when VR came out and people were comparing them to the old GNR, the biggest arguement was that you can't compare them to that.   Shouldn't the same opinion apply here.   The band is called GNR but in no way can the new music be compared to the old music and we all know it isn't going to have those same riffs that Slash had on the older GNR songs.  The 5 of them together was brilliance....we all know you CAN'T duplicate that.   Just ain't gonna happen, there is not one Slash riff on Contraband I could ever say is equal to SCOM and the greatness of that riff.

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 12:48:44 PM »

it's pretty normal to compare new to old being axl decided to use the name for two seperate bands and some of us experienced both eras

I'm sure some debate DLR n Sammy hagar
Negleyjj
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 12:48:51 PM »

I never thought I'd say this, but I think this CD might actually be worth 15 years.... I don't know... But I think: maybe.
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 12:49:43 PM »

Nah.. It won't be better. It's just that simple.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 12:50:47 PM »

not another one of these threads.. GNr was massive when teh illusions came out, people lined the streets... This will not happen for this album except for us people here buying 25 copies each..

Nothing was worth that wait, a wait only seems worth it because it's finally over..
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 12:53:06 PM »

No. It will not top Use Your Illusion 2. This album is pure genious.
It may be better than UYI 1 though.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 12:55:16 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
shaun
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 12:53:38 PM »

As much as i like what i have heard from the new GnR nothing so far has compared to the opening riff on Welcome to the Jungle. I guess that's what makes AFD the fantastic album that it is. The Blues has offered the best CD has to offer so far and that song is about as good as any of the epic's on the UYI albums.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 12:56:22 PM by D0badog » Logged
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2006, 12:54:30 PM »

in quality it may be better, but remember that the illusions albums have been rolling in our heads since we leard to listen to music, and is very special to some of us. So i dont think that its fair to put the albums up agains each other.. Illusions will always have a place in our hearts, and im sure there is a safe place for CD also.

From the view of a New GNR listener, who never have listened to any of the albums, would be the onlyone to give them a fair judgment.

Thats just my opinion! ?yes

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2006, 12:54:34 PM »

it's pretty normal to compare new to old being axl decided to use the name for two seperate bands and some of us experienced both eras

I'm sure some debate DLR n Sammy hagar

Absolutely true....... but I think those of us that lived through both eras of gnr and vh know the original is the best and can't be duplicated but that is not to say that the new bands can't make good music...maybe even a hit...I think it's just pointless to compare...we all know where the magic was.

check it out!!
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2006, 12:55:50 PM »

Ryan_of_Lax

I totally care about the music side of things. I don;t give a shit about amount of radio play. in fact i get sick of songs played time after time after time.

IMHO these songs aren't even in the same league as the old songs. now that's not saying that they ar enowhere near as good, it's saying that it is a totally different sound and direction, from what i hear so far anyway. They have a slight industrial feel to them but at the same time Axl has retained the rock side of things in GnR, it's like a meshing of several styles together and its cool. i think so far it sounds fantastic. It hasn;t really taken 15 years to record this first orig album since uyi's but more like 5-6 years (approx '99 till whenever, 2005 is the last time we heard about studio activity, not bad for nearly 32 complete songs, if that rumor is even true)

The old GnR songs are classics, it's like saying could Pink FLoyd top Dark side of the Moon or Page and PLant top Led Zeppelin II or IV? highly doubtful. But I feel these new leaks are a definate good start towards a new chapter in the GnR history.

Don't worry too much what the general populace feels towards this new music, if anything it only serves as a bug in the ear of the public that Axl and Co are still alive and working towards an album, if the music is good enough whne CD is finally released, everything else will fall into line in due time ok I'd rather the album sell cuz it's really good instead of it selling good cuz a shitlaod of publicity was shoved down everyone's throat, thats how bands loose public interest. ?Look at Metalica's St Anger. that peice of shit was hyped to high heaven and it stunk, if they would've just kept their mouths shut it may have done better. look at their approach this time around totally opposite. and another Example is TooL, they never highly publicize their comings and goings but they always have steady sales.

Rocker

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2006, 12:56:09 PM »

not another one of these threads.. GNr was massive when teh illusions came out, people lined the streets... This will not happen for this album except for us people here buying 25 copies each..

I think with massive media promotion 1-2 months before the album is released, they could get the people to wait in front of the record stores.
Just think of a promotion like "10 years in the making" or "15 years after the last original gnr material"
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2006, 12:57:07 PM »

Appetite For Destruction is unique and changed the Rock music. It's unfair to compare CD with Appetite.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2006, 12:58:34 PM »

Nothing was worth that wait, a wait only seems worth it because it's finally over..

Here I will agree with you Mike.. ? As much as I love Axl and love and like some of the new songs...It will never compare to the old.. ?See what happens when you compare either way. ? This GNR and old GNR two different animals. ?

check it out!!
shaun
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2006, 01:00:43 PM »

Appetite For Destruction is unique and changed the Rock music. It's unfair to compare CD with Appetite.

People do and will compare all GnR material. How can i relate to the IRS, and songs about A's ex or so i keep on reading about. VR should do a song about Axl called: Get Over It (and move on).
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2006, 01:01:56 PM »

I think with massive media promotion 1-2 months before the album is released, they could get the people to wait in front of the record stores.
Just think of a promotion like "10 years in the making" or "15 years after the last original gnr material"

From the info we have, writing didn't really begin in earnest until '98 or '99 so i think it's safe to say 5-6 years of recording at most. which isn't band for 2 1/2 albums worth of material (If 32 songs are truely in the final stages)

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2006, 01:02:20 PM »

People do and will compare all GnR material. How can i relate to the IRS, and songs about A's ex or so i keep on reading about. VR should do a song about Axl called: Get Over It (and move on).

Ha, good one!  Axl's vocals on VR's music would be sick.  Axl vocals on nuGNR's music is sick.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: