Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 10:30:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  How good is CD going to be? Better than AFD and/or UYI?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How good is CD going to be? Better than AFD and/or UYI?  (Read 18002 times)
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2006, 12:33:39 PM »

Appetite is, in my mind, the best rock album ever made. I doubt Democracy can come too close to that, but it has a shot at UYI. Still, think of what UYI had (ex. Don't Cry, November Rain, Civil War, YCBM)...it's gonna be a really awesome record if it's as good as UYI, but I think it will come up just a little shy of that.

I agree...I think AFD is in a category all of its own.  Its an album that really changed the rock scene.  CD MIGHT be able to do that only b/c of how horrible the rock scene is today, but I don't think it will measure up to AFD....I mean since 87, has ANY album come close? (sorry, Nevermind doesn't do it for me - I think its remembered more for its signifying the end of the 80s rock scene then as an unreal album on its own -- when I hear songs from it now I get so bored, they're unplugged is a better disc if you ask me).

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
jmapelian
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2006, 12:55:22 PM »

^^ Agre 100%, when AFD 1st hit the scene, I thought it was the best rock album since Zeppelin IV or Houses of the Holy...and since AFD, the only thing that really came close were the Illusion albums but there were to many ballads and filler IMO to really compare favorably to AFD.

I'm gonna get crucified but the best pure rock album in the 2000's IMO was Contraband.
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2006, 02:38:07 PM »

If you're looking at pure rock, I'll stand with you and say Contraband was a breath of fresh air in a time where rock was either too pop or too scream-filled, preachy and repititive among bands.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
Civil Attitude
Headliner

"And i think you knooooow the words"

« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2006, 03:14:10 PM »

hey i love contraband but ill pri get shot in the dick for saying that im a huge fan of shinedowns new shit....i loved their first album and was excited to see there new one come out...I truly enjoy it.....with the current state of rock there is a huge chance CD could change a few things...i would love it....

Pleased to meet you....Hope you guessed my name...O Yeah,... But whats Puzzlin you is the  nature of my Game..
jmapelian
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2006, 04:31:09 PM »

If you're looking at pure rock, I'll stand with you and say Contraband was a breath of fresh air in a time where rock was either too pop or too scream-filled, preachy and repititive among bands.

Funny, in the 80's the best pure rock album was AFD IMO

90's UYI's (??) IMO

see a trend?
NiGhTrAiN?
Headliner

Where's my Geritol? I need some Ensure

« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2006, 05:55:24 PM »

You see there's gonna be a lot of ppl bitching CD doesn't sound as great as they expected when it's finally released. No matter how great it might be, ppl are gonna complain.Some ppl are just never happy with anything. Truth is, for us real GnR diehard fans, it doesn't matter,really. If Axl recorded the the sound of his fart and released a cd entitled "Axl Rose's farting remixes - No democracy,no right to vote- Just listen up and smell the smoke? we would buy it and smile proudly saying no one else blows wind like he does.Some other ppl will say it is poor musically or that he didn't eat enough cheese the night before so that's why it doesn't sound so great. I mean, wtf is your problem? If you go back and check Perfect Crime or November Rain demos they sound like sh*t. It is hard to believe they turned out to sound so great in the final version and honestly, from the songs we've had opportunity to check out , even being only demo, I thought they rocked. I agree that ppl have different opinions but that sorta makes me understand why Axl has been so reclusive. Songs are great, his voice is perfect , but ppl are always gonna complain. This, me thinks, is one of the reasons he's so compulsively perfectionist and reclusive and is one of the reasons for the delay of the album.
I would be more than happy if all songs were as 'simple' as Better. I don't need any BS, sophistication,complexity or any of that crap that annoying ppl like to expect. I mean, just his voice singing nice lyrics with nice rhymes and a good rhythm guitar and solo accomplishes for a perfect CD for me. What else could I expect when I put a Guns n Roses cd in my car's cd-player and turn up the volume? No more ?I'm not happy with the final results.?What else do you want ? Axl wrapped up in ribbons delivered in your house by Fedex?
Give me a fuckin' break. If 13 years is not long enough for you to listen that voice that makes you bang your head and yell ?yeeeeeah? frantically, maybe you should check the website www.ineedabiggerdildo.com to help you stop complaining and enjoy the moment for once!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 06:03:35 PM by NiGhTrAiN? » Logged
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2006, 06:15:57 PM »

Wait, did he just say, "me thinks" ?  hihi

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
NiGhTrAiN?
Headliner

Where's my Geritol? I need some Ensure

« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2006, 06:18:19 PM »

Wait, did he just say, "me thinks" ?? hihi
Awesome, my life won't be the same after that one
jmapelian
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2006, 06:28:40 PM »

i remember a time when axl didn't give a fuck what other people thought

now he cares too much what every tom dick and harry thinks
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2006, 06:41:01 PM »

AFD will always be special because it was their debut album, they came out of nowhere and shook up the music world.  AFD was the album that defined an entire generation of music, there's no question that Michael Jackson's Thriller and AFD are the two defining albums of the 80s. 

I still believe that UYI1 is the finest Guns album overall.  It's so strong from start to finish and is a diverse, complex album.  But AFD is their most important album when speaking about impact and what not. 

From what I've heard from Chinese Democracy, there's the potential that the album will stand up to these albums but in a different sense.  I think this will be a more personal and theatric album with less emphasis on ass kicking rock, and more emphasis on introspective songs.  I firmly believe that finished, studio versions of TWAT and The Blues can stand up with anything they've ever done.  "Better" and "IRS" aren't on the same level as say SCOM or YCBM, but in my opinion they're superior to songs like "Think About You", "Anything Goes" and so on.  They have produced material for Chinese Democracy that is superior to some of the songs that were on AFD and UYI 1 and 2, so it's not a stretch to think that musically it could well compare favorably to these, even though the type of music is not going to be the same
Elrothiel
« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2006, 07:46:51 PM »

You see there's gonna be a lot of ppl bitching CD doesn't sound as great as they expected when it's finally released. No matter how great it might be, ppl are gonna complain.Some ppl are just never happy with anything. Truth is, for us real GnR diehard fans, it doesn't matter,really. If Axl recorded the the sound of his fart and released a cd entitled "Axl Rose's farting remixes - No democracy,no right to vote- Just listen up and smell the smoke? we would buy it and smile proudly saying no one else blows wind like he does.Some other ppl will say it is poor musically or that he didn't eat enough cheese the night before so that's why it doesn't sound so great. I mean, wtf is your problem? If you go back and check Perfect Crime or November Rain demos they sound like sh*t. It is hard to believe they turned out to sound so great in the final version and honestly, from the songs we've had opportunity to check out , even being only demo, I thought they rocked. I agree that ppl have different opinions but that sorta makes me understand why Axl has been so reclusive. Songs are great, his voice is perfect , but ppl are always gonna complain. This, me thinks, is one of the reasons he's so compulsively perfectionist and reclusive and is one of the reasons for the delay of the album.
I would be more than happy if all songs were as 'simple' as Better. I don't need any BS, sophistication,complexity or any of that crap that annoying ppl like to expect. I mean, just his voice singing nice lyrics with nice rhymes and a good rhythm guitar and solo accomplishes for a perfect CD for me. What else could I expect when I put a Guns n Roses cd in my car's cd-player and turn up the volume? No more ?I'm not happy with the final results.?What else do you want ? Axl wrapped up in ribbons delivered in your house by Fedex?
Give me a fuckin' break. If 13 years is not long enough for you to listen that voice that makes you bang your head and yell ?yeeeeeah? frantically, maybe you should check the website www.ineedabiggerdildo.com to help you stop complaining and enjoy the moment for once!

Dude! You're fuckin' funny!!
Tis true that most of us would call anything Axl released a masterpiece of true musical genius and stuff like that. But ya know, there's a reason for that! Its because anything Axl DOES release IS a masterpiece of true musical genius and stuff like that!!

I have to say though... I wouldn't mind Axl turning up on my doorstep wrapped in ribbons with a big FedEx sticker on his shirt... love rofl Actually, I can just imagine the look on his face!! T'would be hilarious! love Cheesy

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2006, 08:19:04 PM »

u cant compare CDS.

there will be people who wont give it the chance to be better than AFD just cause its a new band. I think it will be just as good as all their albums and im hopin to like it better.

Appetite entertains me but it doesnt take me to the emotional places that a lot of UYI's do.

So im hopin for an entertaining great record with no filler that takes me on a very emotional and spiritual trip.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Cooker
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2006, 11:49:32 PM »

IMO: Each album is its own Monster. You really cant compare. Each has a individual drive behind it.

Its why I like GN'R, nothing is redone, completely different feel. Its what true song writers do.
Unlike bands today like Simple Plan, everysong is a rip-off of the last.

When Im Gone.............
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2006, 12:01:51 AM »

i remember a time when axl didn't give a fuck what other people thought

now he cares too much what every tom dick and harry thinks

Excellent point.
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2006, 12:09:02 AM »

AFD will always be special because it was their debut album, they came out of nowhere and shook up the music world.? AFD was the album that defined an entire generation of music, there's no question that Michael Jackson's Thriller and AFD are the two defining albums of the 80s.?

I still believe that UYI1 is the finest Guns album overall.? It's so strong from start to finish and is a diverse, complex album.? But AFD is their most important album when speaking about impact and what not.?

From what I've heard from Chinese Democracy, there's the potential that the album will stand up to these albums but in a different sense.? I think this will be a more personal and theatric album with less emphasis on ass kicking rock, and more emphasis on introspective songs.? I firmly believe that finished, studio versions of TWAT and The Blues can stand up with anything they've ever done.? "Better" and "IRS" aren't on the same level as say SCOM or YCBM, but in my opinion they're superior to songs like "Think About You", "Anything Goes" and so on.? They have produced material for Chinese Democracy that is superior to some of the songs that were on AFD and UYI 1 and 2, so it's not a stretch to think that musically it could well compare favorably to these, even though the type of music is not going to be the same

I think you are right. The evolution of the old GNR was plain to see. At first (86-88) they just kicked ass every show. The intent was  to play straight up rock and knock people out  of their seat (or off their feet, as the case  may be). By 92 it was more of a "show" or "musical presentation," but not nearly as powerful. The 92 shows lacked the energy and power  of 88. The shows meandered, or, as Rolling Stone put,  displayed Axl's attention deficit. So the new  album will be less  powerful musically, but more personal lyrically. If one is into Axl's pysche the new  album may be interesting. If one wants to hear killer tunes with  catchy melodies and memorable songs, I think we  will be disappointed  (on the whole, with some exceptions). My opinion.
jmapelian
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2006, 11:47:27 AM »

^^ the UYI Tour is part of what broke the original band up.....when it 1st started, it was just the 5 of them and by the end there was an orchestra and slew of back up singers....I used to have a video boot of them playing a show in Indy right b4 the Illusion albums came out and they played a stripped down version of November rain that sounded just fine w/out the orchestra.......but it ended up in a bloated production that turned everyone in the band off except Axl
88 Days
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2006, 11:49:27 AM »

it will blow everything away, mark my words.
we are in for the best record ever made and i will be right there applauding its arrival.
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2006, 11:56:00 AM »

^^ the UYI Tour is part of what broke the original band up.....when it 1st started, it was just the 5 of them and by the end there was an orchestra and slew of back up singers....I used to have a video boot of them playing a show in Indy right b4 the Illusion albums came out and they played a stripped down version of November rain that sounded just fine w/out the orchestra.......but it ended up in a bloated production that turned everyone in the band off except Axl

I understand your point, but for accuracy sake, by the time the tour ended they were back to the stripped down version.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
jmapelian
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2006, 12:07:02 PM »

it will blow everything away, mark my words.
we are in for the best record ever made and i will be right there applauding its arrival.

that may be a bit of an overstatement
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2006, 12:08:54 PM »

I think CD will be more artistic and creative than AFD and both UYI's.  But again, great quality music doesn't mean it's gonna outsell either one, or even come close.  Marketing timing is everything.  If they can somehow "make it cool" for today's mainstream audience it will do wonders.  If not, it'll likely be considered a commercial disaster and a huge letdown coming off ten years of hype and expectation.  I'm not confident that there are enough hard core Gunners left for the album to rake in the kind of profit that they're probably hoping for (I sincerely hope I'm wrong).  It's gonna need some help from the mainstream which sucks because today's kids are into some stupid-ass shit.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: