Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 07:33:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  May 14th show thread POST YOUR REVIEWS IN THE GNR ON TOUR SECTION PLEASE!
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] Go Down Print
Author Topic: May 14th show thread POST YOUR REVIEWS IN THE GNR ON TOUR SECTION PLEASE!  (Read 91369 times)
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #660 on: May 16, 2006, 02:44:54 AM »

MY GNR Review 5/14/2005 @ Hammerstein Ballroom

You know how when great athletes slump they review past performances on video tape to regain their form and technique? That?s probably what Axl & his band did before embarking on their current comeback (their 3rd in 5 years). They dipped into the old bag of tricks and came out looking like the rock band with the same hunger from 1986-1993. After last night, for the 1st time since he came out public with a new GNR in 2001, I am proud to call myself a GNR fan because if there?s anything that they indicated from their performance, they can potentially dominate the music scene again. There?s certainly room to improve  but they?ve ALL come a long long way from the past & at some points have even surpassed past musical performances. I was pretty surprised by what I saw last nite and now I am delighted to see that there may be a bright future for GNR after all these years of hardship.

I know I?ve insulted the new GNR in the past and I was very skeptical because I honestly didn?t think they were any good and I don?t regret these remarks because they were appropriate for their previous lackluster comebacks. You won?t be hearing them anymore from me as long as they keep coming out like last nite - they have now begun earning the mantle of GNR?s legacy with these warm-up shows at Hammerstein in May 2006.

Here?s what I saw & my honest opinions:
First off, to see a sold out show for a virtually unrecognizable lineup with some new material (16000 seats for 4 shows in under a half hour of sales time in a competitive NYC music market) is a testament to power of GNR & its potential marketability. It was a crowd of diverse ages. Yes Lenny Kraviz & Fred Durst were there, but I was on the other side where up in the balcony next to stage was Mickey Rourke and a group of hot hot hot girls - one of whom I?m 100% positive is a top model from Victoria Secret. Before the show, me and all the dude were staring at them (during the show, we still stared at them, though a lot less since GNR was worth checking out over the hot babes). Throughout the show, they sang words to all the GNR songs and were dancing and acting sexy. Its nice to see Axl draw that crowd as well - it shows his relevance on the cultural and celeb scene today. I also have a feeling that he?s met many people in his nights out in NYC & has drawn the young hip crowd to the show as well. There?s definitely a market for GNR and hopefully with new material that will sweep away eager audiences.
Second off was the show itself, which earned its audience over two and a half blistering hours of hard rock. I showed up for the May 14th 2006 show at 9:10 pm & got in at 9:30. I was told while ordering a Heineken that GNR would be on stage by 10:30. Between 10:30 & 11, GNR kept teasing the audience in good taste with some remarks from a roadie on the mike and some guitar riffs. I was about 20 feet from the stage, so I had a pretty good view from the side the entire night. THEN it happened at 10:58 PM Est, with Axl Rose and the new GNR coming out with WTTJ. Here?s my impression of the band members:

*Dizzy Reed - Looking athletic, topless & sexy hitting those bongos. Full of energy. Best shape of his life.
*Tommy Stinson - Looking like a punk school boy with a collared buttoned down white shirt but his bass lines were just as punky and set a solid foundation under the guitar riffs of three guitarists. You could definitly hear the bass and its impact on the songs. Full of energy and in great shape
*Robin Finck - Aside from Axl was the most pleasant surprise of the night. Instead of looking like a space cadet, he looked the role of the rock guitar man and his talents and experiences with GNR manifested itself the entire night. He was my favorite of the three guitarists (a great SCOM) with his playing. He will delight fans and make you forget Slash (somewhat).
*Richard Fortus - Looking like Izzy?s lost cousin, he had the most energy of the guitarists, running around stage, wearing a "University of Zimbabwe"  T-shirt and full of great riffs - the best showman of GNR?s musicians. Also plays a killer guitar. His guitar solo of "Beautiful" by Christina Aguilera with Robin Finck was a really clever gimmick to attract fans.
*Bumblefoot - He looks cool and plays well on that crazy "foot" guitar of his. I liked it during one of the solos when he let the fans bang on his guitar. Afterwards he thanked them on the mike which was cool.
*Brain - Tight the entire night, keeping a great tempo with the rest of the band. Nothing special, but did the job you expect that had been done before by Steven Adler & Matt Sorum.
*Chris Pittman - I guess I understand his role better. His crazy sounds on the technoboard were especially appropriate with the new songs.

FOR THE 1ST TIME, THIS LOOKS LIKE A REAL TIGHT, COHESIVE ROCK BAND THAT WORKS WELL OFF EACH OTHER, OFF THE FANS. THEY ARE NOW DOING SERIOUS BUSINESS ONSTAGE WITH CHIPS ON THEIR SHOULDERS AND ARE COMPETING FOR YOUR AFFECTION FANS, SO GET READY FOR GREAT MUSIC. THEY SPOKE ON THE MIKE A LIL BIT MORE AND EXPRESSED THEIR INDIVIDUAL PERSONALITIES AND TALENTS ON STAGE. THEY PLAYED THE OLD SONGS IN GREAT RESPECT TO THE OLD BAND AND ADDED THEIR OWN VARIATIONS TO THE SONGS - IT WILL SURPRISE PEOPLE A LOT AND IMPRESS THEM LIKE IT IMPRESSED ME.

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #661 on: May 16, 2006, 02:54:46 AM »

AXL ROSE: I had binoculars with me during the show and was able to see Axl face. The guy is in the best shape of his life and is now willing to bear a lot more. No more hip hop gear or oversized shauls, Axl looked like a hip youngster at a night club with a leather shirt, well-fitted jeans, some hot shades and wearing a good amount of bling bling (including an iced-out crucifix). NYC definitely knocked in some fashion sense into the guy and he finally looks normal in his new clothes - the best stage outfit since early UYI 1991 before he went crazy with kilts and bike shorts. For the 1st time, his braids looked good on him and his goatee gives him a rugged look to erase the effects of bad botox HE PERFORMED THE BEST I HAVE SEEN SINCE EARLY 1991 UYI!!! I couldn?t have been more impressed with Axl?s moves on stage. He was SPONTANEOUS, FULL OF ENERGY & ATTITUDE & LOOKED HUNGRY! He did the sharpest serpentine since early UYI. He spun around a lot, threw the mike stand three-four times during the show with razor sharp accuracy. He did gestures with his back and side to the crowd and varied his performing style. He shook the crowd?s hand. He gestured with the mike stand like the old days. He was full of humor, even comparing Chinese Democracy to David Blaine?s underwater stunt ("don?t hold your breath!"). He did it all - the leg kicks, the stomping, the over the leg shuffle, he ran a lot, spun a lot, and banged his head more than ever before which is a new feature. On some songs, he shows an authentic anger on the vocals (especially in the middle of "Better"), the likes of which I haven?t seen until now. He sweated a lot and posed at the end of songs as he basked in the affection of the fans throughout the arena clapping and standing from top down. He gestured to the hot girls on the side balconies and told stories the way he told them before like how he almost couldn?t perform because he fucked up his vocals. He would walk back and forth on the stage telling his stories the way he used to - it was like he had never left. He introduced his band members and Mr. Bach the way he did it in the glory years, with a sense of geniune warmth and a readiness to rock. He ended Paradise City with his spin around like the Ritz Gig 1991 and trademarked leg stomping. His vocals were the "crispiest" that I have heard them and he hit all the notes (but his vocals were not as "crispy" as AFD/UYI.) This was a huge problem in 2001-2002 and its somewhat of a problem today but he?s a lot farther along vocally. When they brought Sebastchian Bach out for "My Michelle", he was able to more than hold his own on stage vocally - which was delightfully surprising. The duet was spectacular and I never thought I would see it - I?ll never forget it. Sebatchian is cool to forgive Axl's eccentricities and support his current venture. Great to see Axl getting back in touch with old pals because he needs all the help he can get to get this new band rolling. Axl looks poised to take back his career and his life on stage. He hasn?t looked this confident on stage since 1993. I pray for you Euro Fans that the larger stages in Europe don?t hinder his abilities from performing on smaller stages like it happened in UYI when Axl felt compelled to run marathons when all he needed to do was shimmy around the stage.

AT 1:15 AM, AXL THREW THE MICROPHONE INTO THE AUDIENCE (HE THREW IT ODD THOUGH - LIKE A GIRL). DESPITE THE LATE HOURS, THE ROOM AT HAMMERSTEIN WAS STILL PACKED BY THE END OF THE SHOW - SHOWING THE NEW BAND AND AXL?S CAPABILITY OF CAPITIVATING THE AUDIENCE. FEW LEFT - MOST STAYED.

WTTJ (When Jungle came on, the entire floor rushed the stage - very exhilerating) It?s So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Rocket Queen, Live & Let Die, Knocking On Heaven?s Door, Patience, Night Train, Paradise City all sounded good. KOHD was killer and Patience with the acoustic guitar returned authenticity to a song that was regularly butchered in the UYI tour prior to the Skin & Bones 1993 portion. The pyro felt nice and heated up the SMALL room. The confetti effects and sparklers added visual spark to the show. .

The only song not sounding right was You Could Be Mine. I wasn?t feeling it so much tonite, maybe because I was listening to a better version of it earlier from the Ritz Gig in 1991 that became the music video with axl and that purple jean jacket.

It was also cool how in the middle of November Rain, before the heavy ending, Axl introduced the band and spoke to the crowd a bit. Kind of a nice break during a song about the long epic battle with unrequited love.

I teared up a bit during The Blues, Rocket Queen & Live & Let Die. THe Blues evoked the same emotions almost as Estranged. Though Chinese Democracy & Better are still not quite on par with vintage GNR material. Yet Axl keeps complaining on stage how we already have heard the new songs which is why he might as well perform those ones. He better have some newer & better songs waiting on the wings if he?s gonna continue with this tour back to the USA. The show also started on the late side and ended really late and Axl said "I called your boss and said they said it was ok to come late to work tomorrow" or something to that effect. However, I know it was harder on me since I had stopped drinking at 9 pm so that by 12:30 am, my body began to crash from the alcohol and it wasn?t as easy to rock with the songs. I could?ve used a few more red bulls (Axl?s official drink) to keep me going). I also want to hear more UYI material like "Dead Horse" and "Double Talkin Jive". I also think that "Mama Kin" would've been as a duet with Sebatchian Bach. I left Hammerstein in confused, but high spirits.

The following day, 5.15.2006, I gave a tour on the Double Decker NYC Bus & when passing by Hammerstein Ballroom, I proclaimed my pride in Axl?s new band and new GNR and told the Europeans and young American school kids and everyone else on the bus (about 25 people) that they are now worth seeing because they?re coming back STRONG. I do my tours in front of crowds the way that vintage Axl would perform - with Spontaniety. Im glad to see him getting his groove back.
I still miss Slash & Duff & Izzy & Steve though and it hurts me somewhat that they weren?t up there last nite, and I still think they should reunite, but this band grew on me a lot last nite. It remains to be seen if the new material will be great enough to replace the old material so u can't say they're fully back yet. But if they can replace this setlist with one with new songs and perform the way they did for these songs last nite, they'll have the rock world by storm again.
But I wish you all the luck In seeing the same Axl and Co. that I saw last nite - the same swagger, the vintage attitude and loudness.

Cool
Mark N' Roses
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 02:58:49 AM by marknroses » Logged

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
uzisuicide2002
VIP

DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE!?!?!?!

« Reply #662 on: May 16, 2006, 12:00:03 PM »

GOD..ok iwas was 2nd in line for this show. Got there at 10am. The gut in front of me was there all night. SORRY i can't remember your name dude. But for every one in front of the line this in steve. Yeah so the day want by not to slow because i was chillin with afew very cool people and just talkin gn'r you know. OK jumping to about 6:30 or so people who work for axl and afew people from mtv are out there interviewing and getting shit for a DVD thats going to be coming out. When i don't know but they told me there filming every on this up coming tour. This could be something that comes out with CD.

Its now about 8:00 and the line was something like 3 blocks long, or more. people going "LET US IN!!!" and "GUNS N ROSES!!!" afew girls with AXL IS GN'R shirts were singing guns songs...witch was fun lol. in all the wait was fun, and the people were in great sprit. Witch axl could see. Then they let us in...and it was front and center for me. (i had a black New England Patriots hat on if you seen me in line or on the big sceen) Bullet was on at like 9:15 or so. And i liked the 1st 2 songs. Then i was like ok everything sounds the same. and they were done by 9:45 or so. Then the wait started, my back hurt so bad. But then i see like micky and leny and that other asshole from limp shit there and i was feel good. I was getting pumped! i was in the zone lol.

Now its 10:30...ppl in front of the sage told afew ppl the shows about to start....NOPE....lol beer

11:00pm...lights go out ppl going GUNS N ROSES!!! over and over agen... THEN jungle hits. and i see axl walk out come right in front of us and asked. YOU KNOW WHERE THE FUCK YOU ARE!? and the man that i'v watched on tv since i was 9 was front in front of me. It was like a dream lol i was going nuts and i think about 3.800 other were to be cause it was fuckin nuts in there.

Axl had monitor touble for about the 1st 2 songs. The band had a nice on the beging of Brownstone. and axl could now hear him self. And the show when on from there. I think you all know the setlist. lol i can't think of it in order. But Rocket Queen was play very early with was fuckin great. AXl was very happy and in a great mood. Heaven's Door started like the 02 verson, but axl did "i'll do one then you do one" and i think that was the 1st time since 1993 thats happen. I got to play bumblefoot guitar. Before that i told him "FUCK BUCKETHEAD YOUR GREAT!" and he looked at me and smiled abit then was like here you play lol. The dude played nightrain solo with one hand!! and robin drived on us and i did not see it coming becuse i was look at leny and he was rockin out he looked the show. AND BOOM i'm hit by a flying robin lol. I gave him a head rumb lol...soft hair he has lol. Axl had about 100.000 bucks of bling on him. To me the show was unreal. I did not miss slash one bit. They better now then 2002. ALOT BETTER!!!

But i give the show 9 or 10 it would of gotting 10 if they played IRS and TWAT beer

I WANT FULL CAM VIDEO IF ANYONE HAS IT!!! peace

GN'R Boston 02
GN'R NYC 06
GN'R Mass 06
GN'R NJ 11
VR Mass 05
GN'R Foxboro 16
GN'R Boston 17
VR Mass 07
Slash Boston 10
Steven Adler NYC 11
Slash Foxwoods 14
Slash Providence 15
Lara
I Finck therefore I am
Legend

« Reply #663 on: May 16, 2006, 03:12:18 PM »

GOD..ok iwas was 2nd in line for this show. Got there at 10am. The gut in front of me was there all night. SORRY i can't remember your name dude. But for every one in front of the line this in steve.

I WANT FULL CAM VIDEO IF ANYONE HAS IT!!! peace

I'm interested in the video!  if you dont intend to upload it for everyone (which i think would be best...), please PM me.  Smiley

I think the person in front of you was Vinny, I read his post in the May 15th show thread where he mentions that (27th page), I remember cause I was really impressed!!! His user name is Luca Brasi.
Luca Brasi
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #664 on: May 16, 2006, 04:01:58 PM »

GOD..ok iwas was 2nd in line for this show. Got there at 10am. The gut in front of me was there all night. SORRY i can't remember your name dude. But for every one in front of the line this in steve

What's up man...it's me, Vinny (the first one in line).  I decided to join the boards after seeing em.  I'm trying to get my hands on a shirt for the tour.  The one with the old and new GNR logos on them with the handwritten tour dates on the back.  The show ended and they didnt have my size, so I had to buy the shirt next to it.
uzisuicide2002
VIP

DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE!?!?!?!

« Reply #665 on: May 16, 2006, 05:07:11 PM »

GOD..ok iwas was 2nd in line for this show. Got there at 10am. The gut in front of me was there all night. SORRY i can't remember your name dude. But for every one in front of the line this in steve

What's up man...it's me, Vinny (the first one in line).  I decided to join the boards after seeing em.  I'm trying to get my hands on a shirt for the tour.  The one with the old and new GNR logos on them with the handwritten tour dates on the back.  The show ended and they didnt have my size, so I had to buy the shirt next to it.

Vinny man whats up!!! yeah i could not get that shirt i think i got the same one you did. Paul got the the last one lastnight. dude my email is uzisuicide2004@yahoo.com email me anyime. Paul can hook you up with audio of the show when he is done with it.

GN'R Boston 02
GN'R NYC 06
GN'R Mass 06
GN'R NJ 11
VR Mass 05
GN'R Foxboro 16
GN'R Boston 17
VR Mass 07
Slash Boston 10
Steven Adler NYC 11
Slash Foxwoods 14
Slash Providence 15
Fernando
The REAL Fernando
Rocker

Adz sucks irl.

« Reply #666 on: May 16, 2006, 05:25:02 PM »

I'm looking forward to seeing something different.

And I hope to God Fernando is not there, so that people can take photos and stuff without being pointed out at.

Lol, you saw that, too?? He was right in front of myself / AxlGunner.? He seemed more focused on his little pit of groupie chicks over directly to the right of the barricade, though.? Thats also where I saw Merck and shook his hand.? (Ironically, during IRS, if I recall correctly? rofl rofl? )

-darknemus

love

Narcissism has a lot to do with selfishness and deep need for adoration, not giving a fuck for others and promoting themselves at the expense of others often publicly.
GNRgroupie
Opening Act

GUNS N F-IN ROSES!!!

« Reply #667 on: May 16, 2006, 06:42:38 PM »

yeah so i thought the may 14th show totaly rocked well it dont really matter where or when as long as i got to see AXL he looks good now!!!!! yeah so they play tons of oldies not estranged or dont cry but november rain was a hit!!!!! i was goin CrAzY!!!!!!!!!!!;D

did ne1 else see it??

GUNS N F-IN ROSES!!!

-LIVE AND LET DIE-
GNRgroupie
Opening Act

GUNS N F-IN ROSES!!!

« Reply #668 on: May 16, 2006, 06:45:19 PM »

~]omg and lenny cravitz was there fred durst misha bartin shannon elizabeth mikki raork? the show? was FULL of stars!!!

GUNS N F-IN ROSES!!!

-LIVE AND LET DIE-
wikki440
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #669 on: May 16, 2006, 08:56:28 PM »

Awesome show!? Finally after all these years I got to see Guns N? F?ing Roses.? It was worth the wait!? I could have done without the Bumblefoot solo though.? The guy next to me kept yelling "Slash would never do that!".?

Here is a video I shot.? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y5uLM_t62E
Elrothiel
« Reply #670 on: May 16, 2006, 10:35:07 PM »

Nice vids Wikki!! ok
wikki440
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #671 on: May 16, 2006, 11:15:28 PM »

2 More videos from the 14th show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTUvr4VT9tI]] "Out Ta Get Me"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w21vPd-lkZ4 "Welcome to the Jungle"
Lara
I Finck therefore I am
Legend

« Reply #672 on: May 16, 2006, 11:22:44 PM »

How do I save videos from youtube?
I guess, I dont...?
Elrothiel
« Reply #673 on: May 16, 2006, 11:48:16 PM »

copy the embed code and put it on yer myspazz if you have one... I guess!
Lara
I Finck therefore I am
Legend

« Reply #674 on: May 16, 2006, 11:52:11 PM »

copy the embed code and put it on yer myspazz if you have one... I guess!

I'll try that, thanx!
Elrothiel
« Reply #675 on: May 16, 2006, 11:53:37 PM »

Yer welcome! ok
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #676 on: May 17, 2006, 12:41:42 AM »

These videos are great. Axl's voice is 85% back and his attitude is there.
Right now all I care about is seeing Axl in the best shape he's been since early 1991 UYI. THe new songs can come later & as long as they live up to the older ones.
I really hope that Axl performs the same way in Europe on larger stages like he did on the small stage of Hammerstein.

BTW today is the 15th anniversary of the surprise GNR Ritz gig in NYC, only a mile north of Hammerstein (it was on 53rd & 8th Ave) - one of GNR's greatest shows ever, even though it was a warmup.

MNW

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #677 on: May 17, 2006, 04:34:29 PM »

These videos are great. Axl's voice is 85% back and his attitude is there.
Right now all I care about is seeing Axl in the best shape he's been since early 1991 UYI. THe new songs can come later & as long as they live up to the older ones.
I really hope that Axl performs the same way in Europe on larger stages like he did on the small stage of Hammerstein.

BTW today is the 15th anniversary of the surprise GNR Ritz gig in NYC, only a mile north of Hammerstein (it was on 53rd & 8th Ave) - one of GNR's greatest shows ever, even though it was a warmup.

MNW

Nice review, MNR. I am glad that you had a good time. I did miss the presence of Bucket a great deal, but Robin made up alot of that missing element for me. Axl as you said roared back to life with these shows. You can tell that he is serious this time about returning.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #678 on: May 17, 2006, 10:28:03 PM »

Nice review, MNR. I am glad that you had a good time. I did miss the presence of Bucket a great deal, but Robin made up alot of that missing element for me. Axl as you said roared back to life with these shows. You can tell that he is serious this time about returning.

WE've had our disagreements in the past KV.
WE may disagree down the line whether the new songs line up nicely wit the old songs, but I gotta say that now Axl rocks the way that all us fans have been hoping for. Its a great sign. A new attitude could one day spark new songs, and keep the GNR thing going.

MNR

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: