Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 03:58:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227941 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Oslo, Norway @ Spektrum, 28th June / Updates with picture July 4th
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oslo, Norway @ Spektrum, 28th June / Updates with picture July 4th  (Read 64391 times)
Poof!
Rocker

« Reply #360 on: June 30, 2006, 05:01:27 AM »

. slash never did those actions.

Here\'s the inside scoop, buddy: Robin ISN\'T Slash, so it is irrelevant what Slash does or not.

coz if your going to replace slash then you should have someone who is close to slash style. i dont like that high legs thing/step he always does. it looks like he stepped in shit or gum! rediculous!

You should only try to replace Slash with "someone who is close to Slash's style" if you want the next best thing, but if you want to create something fresh, something new, you need to go in the opposite direction, hence, Robin Finck. And I happen to enjoy Robin's moves on stage. They're original. I wouldn't want someone up there who tried to emulate Slash. That would've been awkward and ridiculous.
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #361 on: June 30, 2006, 05:29:03 AM »

Just got home from the gig in Oslo. It was excellent!!

Here's what I think:

The band played great, Axl was in a good mood screaming his head of the entire night! I can't understand how he does this night after night!!?? My throat was so fucked up this morning for just singing along to the songs.. Smiley The new songs rocked!! When I've heard bootlegs from gigs of the new songs, I must admit that I've thought; "hmm, the leaked versions are much better..") But being there in person, it totally fuckin rocked BIG time!!!! For those of you who still haven't seen them performing the new songs, you got something special coming your way!!!
Bumblefoot and Dizzy's soloes were great. Dizzy played a little bit of A-ha in his solo. That was cool!

A couple of things that i thought was bad though; they stopped selling beer when the concert started, And you had to stand in a looong line to buy beer. And then you could only buy ONE beer!?
And there were too many people just standing around with their arms crossed. C'mon guys, it's rock n' fuckin' roll, loosin' up will ya!!?? Don't you know the fuckin songs?! I mean, the concert was sold out in 20 min. And with that in mind, you would think that those who got tickets would be hardcore-fans... But nooo!! The majority of the crowd only went a litle nuts when they played WTTJ, YCBM, Sweet Child... and Paradise City.

But hey, thats their loss!! (right people..?)

None of the biggest newspapers in Norway had reviews of the gig today, because of the contract that the press are forced too sign by the management. By signing they agree to only use the pictures once, in a review of that particular concert. And also signing the copyright over to the band. I can understand both sides. The band want to avoid pictures being sold and printed as bad merchandise (posters, t-shirts, etc...) And the photographers see the pictures as their creative work and they should be in complete control of the copyright.? Other bands do it this way (ex. System Of A Down)

It just goes too show that GN'R plays for the fans NOT the press!! ok

One thing I'm gonna do in the future though (at least try to do): stop downloading so much audio and video-bootlegs. This because, none of the pyros, explotions and stage setup came as a surprise too me. And thinking about, the show would have an even bigger impression on me. What do you guys think about that??

Kind regards,
Naltav

Great post!? ok

Thanks for the review, it sounds like it was a fantastic show.? Like you, I'm amazed at the way the band is able to perform to such a high standard each time - I? need a couple of days to recover and that's just from being in the audience, although I do thow myself body and soul into each one.? ?Grin

I think you've got the right idea about not spoiling the surpise by downloading stuff.? I deliberately avoided the leaks because I wanted to hear some new songs live and I'm so glad I did.

I'm going to Oslo for the show on the 8th and, if your experience is anything to go by, I should be in for a brilliant time.

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
Insomnis
Opening Act

Long time lurker

« Reply #362 on: June 30, 2006, 07:36:52 AM »

A review of the show (in norwegian) very positive also I might add:

http://www.puls.no/14282.html
mesaboogie
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #363 on: June 30, 2006, 07:50:32 AM »

Just reading through this thread I noticed how much grief Robin gets...

over the years we know he doesnt play old songs properly...that is a fact

New ones are well written and he appears to play same solos consistantly...no recording to compare to.

One thing I find funny is people talking about his face pulling....I actually detest the pervy way he has Les Paul sitting on his groin and has legs spread, stepping up and down pulling faces...most disturbing Shocked
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #364 on: June 30, 2006, 08:35:48 AM »

. slash never did those actions.

Here\'s the inside scoop, buddy: Robin ISN\'T Slash, so it is irrelevant what Slash does or not.

coz if your going to replace slash then you should have someone who is close to slash style. i dont like that high legs thing/step he always does. it looks like he stepped in shit or gum! rediculous!

This is actually one of the dumbest things I've heard on this subject. Replacing Slash with some Slash imitator would be about the least respectful thing that you could do, and also the thing that fans would ultimately hate the most. Obviously, the guy has a very distinctive style and stage presence - you can't just replace him with an identical player.

I know that this is horribly off-topic, but I want to remind people that Slash could be very sloppy on stage at times. Actually, that's part of his charm - he isn't some precise shredder type - he's all about off-the-cuff blues licks. I don't think I've ever heard Slash on a live recording of You Could Be Mine that didn't have him screwing up the signature lick at the end of the solo.
estranged2006
Banned
Rocker

Barbara K Bodine is a Fucking Whore. Traitor

« Reply #365 on: June 30, 2006, 09:15:05 AM »

One thing I find funny is people talking about his face pulling....I actually detest the pervy way he has Les Paul sitting on his groin and has legs spread, stepping up and down pulling faces...most disturbing Shocked

YES!!!!! That!! I HATEE THAT!!!!! the high legs/stepping thing!!! its like he stepped in gum or even worse a pile of a dogs shit!!!!  I hate that actions! that dance! Its not cool. its really really really stupid and foolish looking!! Slash would never do that. Nobody would ever do that!! Its like a fool with a guitar.
mesaboogie
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #366 on: June 30, 2006, 10:03:14 AM »

Thank god someone else noticed this....I cant believe it wasnt mentioned before.  Like that description of "like someone stepping in gum" very good.   rofl
estranged2006
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #367 on: June 30, 2006, 10:16:37 AM »

Thank god someone else noticed this....I cant believe it wasnt mentioned before.? Like that description of \"like someone stepping in gum\" very good.? ?rofl

i rember seeing it first time in the 2002 dvd\'s and i hated it. i was hoping it was a one time thing that he was doing. but he keeps doing it and staning in one place lifting his feet up and down, up and down, up and down. he looks like a fool doing that. Slash would never do that. Izzy would never do that, Gilby would never do that. up and down stepping and stupid faces..  play one chord, make a face, place another chord, bend note out of tune, make a face..   Its embarrising to guns n roses band to have this foolish action every show. playing slashes parts wrong and acting like he got gum on his shoes! 
tonya_ytzerman
tiger
Rocker

Her Most Evilness

« Reply #368 on: June 30, 2006, 10:26:32 AM »

Slash would never do that
Did Slash play in Oslo? No? Ok, then you are way off topic. Has nobody got reviews with all the funny Axl quotes? I'd die to hear/read those...

[size=0]shiftless when i'm idle[/size]
estranged2006
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #369 on: June 30, 2006, 10:34:55 AM »

Did Slash play in Oslo? No? Ok, then you are way off topic.

no slash didnt do that in oslo. he didnt play in oslo!! ok? Fink did it in oslo and thats what we were saying that its dumb looking to do in oslo or anyplace. its like a fool! i only say that slash wouldnt have done it ok??
Katrin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #370 on: June 30, 2006, 10:40:19 AM »

Did Slash play in Oslo? No? Ok, then you are way off topic. Has nobody got reviews with all the funny Axl quotes? I'd die to hear/read those...

yeah, I' d love to hear what Axl had to say as well  hihi

@tonya: you mentioned the pen I gave to you in your Novarock- review... don' t worry about that, I don' t miss that pen anyway  peace
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #371 on: June 30, 2006, 11:47:18 AM »

no slash didnt do that in oslo. he didnt play in oslo!! ok? Fink did it in oslo and thats what we were saying that its dumb looking to do in oslo or anyplace. its like a fool! i only say that slash wouldnt have done it ok??

Mods- Is it possible to ban someone for making the same disruptive post over and over? This person has not made a constructive response to a single thread. I don't mind some healthy discussion, but this is stupid and irrational, and it detracts from any mature discussion.
estranged2006
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #372 on: June 30, 2006, 11:51:25 AM »

Mods- Is it possible to ban someone for making the same disruptive post over and over? This person has not made a constructive response to a single thread. I don\'t mind some healthy discussion, but this is stupid and irrational, and it detracts from any mature discussion.

who are you@!!!!!!!!!! what do u mean my posts are disruptive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! did u ever even read my posts or my disccsions?1!!!!  u dont know me! u dont know or even read what we are talking about before u posted this.!!!!!!
Martina
Headliner

What I thought was beautiful...

« Reply #373 on: June 30, 2006, 11:51:40 AM »

i only say that slash wouldnt have done it ok??

maybe coz Robin isnt exactly Slash? slash is slash,he does his own thing,robin is robin,and he does his own thing in different way.is that really hard to understand?

''hey dude,you wanna go home?,i say,do you wanna go home?,if you do,we will gladly help you'' -axl rose, melbourne 1988
estranged2006
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #374 on: June 30, 2006, 11:53:33 AM »

Mods- Is it possible to ban someone for making the same disruptive post over and over? This person has not made a constructive response to a single thread. I don\'t mind some healthy discussion, but this is stupid and irrational, and it detracts from any mature discussion.
u ban urself. i have more posts than u have anyways. dont read my posts if u dont like them. simple huh mate?
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #375 on: June 30, 2006, 11:55:55 AM »

c'mon---

this doesnt have ANYTHING to do with the Oslo show! this is a dead horse section thing, damn!

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #376 on: June 30, 2006, 12:01:35 PM »

u ban urself. i have more posts than u have anyways. dont read my posts if u dont like them. simple huh mate?

Shut up already. We know Robin isn't trying to be like Slash. Thank God for that.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #377 on: June 30, 2006, 01:18:32 PM »

It's true that you have more posts than I have. However, I have been a member here since 2002, not yesterday. The reason I don't have as many posts as you is because I don't feel compelled to bring up the same dumb shit every time I make a post. Frankly, anyone who has been here for any length of time is pretty damn sick of juvenile idiots making comparisons between the old band and the new, when what most of us want is to find out how the shows went, what they played, etc. It gets boring to point out to people that, no, actually Slash isn't the best guitar player that ever lived - he just happens to be one good one in a large group of them. I'll say again, if you don't think that the band works without Slash, then why are you even on a gnr board? He's not in the band anymore! I promise this is my last response to this stupidity.
bitch_slap_rappin
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #378 on: June 30, 2006, 01:27:43 PM »

Alright! This is my first post here...

I am a Norwegian Guns fan and have been since I was a little kid. And, as this is the Oslo Spektrum thread I'll give my views on the gig.

This was the first time I've seen GNR live, I never thought that was gonna happen as I had just grown pubic hairs when they broke up back in the mid 90s.  And it was better than I had expected really, Axl has never had a better voice from what I've heard from various live recordings over the years.

For me, the standout songs of the show were:

Rocket Queen - Axl hit all the highs perfectly and this is essential to this song because when he can do them (think... "no one needs the sorrow" etc.) it sends shivers down your fuckin' spine.

Nightrain -  in the old days, Guns played this song early on in the set and the song often suffered from that. This time around, the played it towards the end and the band was so tight and the energy fantastic.

IRS - this really rocked and was way better than the versions - live and studio -  that I've heard previously.

In addition, the crowd went nuts on Paradise City and Welcome to the Jungle, which was cool and made these songs highlights to remember. YCBM is a personal favourite of mine and of course that was a highlight too.

I was a bit surprised that the crowd reception to the new songs was totally lame. It seemed only the people up front knew the songs and that just ain't good enough. I mean the tickets sold out in half an hour, I had expected more die-hard gunners and fewer dull concertgoers who were there just for the hits. But I guess this is a "problem" wherever GNR play until they release the album. All the new songs are great songs and the band  performed them well.

The band proved that they are a bunch of good musicians, and I loved Dizzy's piano solo as well as Bumblefoot's version of Don't Cry.  But I cannot understand why Robin Finck gets three guitar solos! I didn't enjoy a single one of them, to be honest. I think he's got a lot to offer musically, but not in Guns N' Roses.

I don't want a straight replacement for Slash, but Axl should be careful when selecting the songs, because during some songs, Slash's signature solos are so sorely missed. November Rain is perhaps the best example. Perfect until the solo section of the hard part at the end. Obviously, Axl cannot drop NR from the set altogether and they can't just come up with a brand new solo - that would be stupid - so I guess we're stuck with Mr. Finck's version of Slash's work.

For those who wonder what Axl said at the concert (forgive me if I heard anything wrong, its not so easy when you're in the crowd), he introduced Patience with "here's a song about what you need when rent-a-cops go bad". Before NR, he called himself an "A.W.A" - Asshole With Attitude.
Earlier on, he joked about the Sweden Incident that: "Your European neighbours love me so much they wanted me to stay there."
After the first five songs, he told the audience to move back so that the front row didn't get crushed: "Now they can finally breathe. Not that they needed to during the first five songs."
He also made some remarks about stand-in drummer Franco Ferrer, who "has played these songs 19,000 times", and "he's really enjoying ourselves".
Better: "you may have heard this song if you have been very, very bad!"

Axl reportedly ordered a bunch of Norwegian "glamour models" for the party afterwards and backstage. I don't know how this went, if there was a big party or whether he flew straight to Denmark.

The Norwegian press refused to do any reviews of the show, because Axl had them sign what they believed to be unreasonable photo contracts. Well, screw them journalists, they don't know shit and their reviews are always ridiculous anyway. This review is better than anything they would've come up with!

Cheers
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #379 on: June 30, 2006, 02:01:07 PM »

i have more posts than u have anyways.

posts count doesn't count. Not that I always agree but requiem156 makes high quality posts.
If you just want to run down everything GNR does and will do, you better go some other board.
If you're here for ex men, just stay in the dead horse and vr section. Tara! ok

For those who wonder what Axl said at the concert (forgive me if I heard anything wrong, its not so easy when you're in the crowd),
After the first five songs, he told the audience to move back so that the front row didn't get crushed: "Now they can finally breathe. Not that they needed to during the first five songs."

Cheers. beer I love these oneliners.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: