Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 03:19:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228065 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  When can we expect the leak?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: When can we expect the leak?  (Read 10442 times)
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2006, 02:10:22 AM »

I think leaking will only help the cause of the album anyway.? What better way to get publicity then having one of the most anticipated albums of the decade flying through cyberspace at lightning speed??

And you know everyone will want a store copy for the art, liner notes, to see who played what on the tracks, etc. so it really is no big deal and I don't think will hurt the sales.

Axl doing anything in retaliation like delaying/shelving would be career suicide and I am sure even he knows this.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2006, 02:20:00 AM »

I think leaking will only help the cause of the album anyway.  What better way to get publicity then having one of the most anticipated albums of the decade flying through cyberspace at lightning speed? 

And you know everyone will want a store copy for the art, liner notes, to see who played what on the tracks, etc. so it really is no big deal and I don't think will hurt the sales.

Axl doing anything in retaliation like delaying/shelving would be career suicide and I am sure even he knows this.

The biggest thing that will hurt sales is iTunes. I'm talking strictly hurting album sales. If the band decides on "Better" as the first single, that thing will take off. The problem is, if you sell it as a single on iTunes, people won't buy the whole album. I posted this on another GN'R forum, but I'll post it again here.

The best thing for album sales would be a new promotion style on iTunes. Sell the album on there, of course, but do NOT sell "Better" as a single. However, give every person who goes to the iTunes store the opportunity to listen to "Better" one time for FREE. Have some sort of IP Address blocker or something that prevents people from recording it or from listening to it more than once. That way, everyone would get a good chance to hear a kickass song, and they would likely be willing to buy the album. Include the digital album art, liner notes, and TWO music videos only available with the album (one for "Better" and perhaps something live like "Welcome To The Jungle" from Rock AM Ring). Price it at $9.99. That would definitely help album sales I think.
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2006, 04:58:55 AM »

most albums leak a few days to a month before official release, I think this will be the same situation

duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2006, 06:53:44 AM »

As soon as the cd is manufactured.

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2006, 07:38:34 AM »

remeber when eminems greatest hits was due to come out??he brought it forward to stop so many people getting it on the net didnt he??
can GNR do something like that?

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
philspectorshotme
Rocker

i wasn't complaining!

« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2006, 08:44:38 AM »

I have a question for all of you who say Axl has this album heavily guarded or hidden in a? safe place. What makes you all think he has better security? ?or better hideing places than any other band on earth?? I'm just curious that's all. I mean he can't even get the best sound crew or stage crew let alone top security for an album rofl

its pretty obvious the strength and trust of security in and around axl and the record. since 1993 we've had a handful of leaks - only one or two of those dont seem to have been directly sanctioned by axl.
in that time consider the leaks other acts have suffered - radioheads unmastered hail to the thief leaked, was 'stolen', 6 or 7 months before the album was due for release, then the finished version leaked months before its due release as well. the mars volta's records have all suffered major leaks of three to five months in advance of release.
the fact that we've had only 5 or so leaks from chinese democracy, over 14 years or so, and leaks that increasingly look as ifthey've come from axl as 'feelers', is evidence of just how heavily guarded the album is.

and about the time scale of it leaking - until a while ago i was certain it would leak quite early, but not the business seems to have gotten a hold of the situation somewhat. dylans record didnt leak til the week before its release - that was due to the way reviewers were allowed access to the album. it leaked the weeked it was shipped to the shops. if the management take the same approach with chinese democracy then expect it to be a week before.
but then, if someone gets it in their handsa couple/a month before its release, are they really going to be able to contain their excitement, whatever the risk?
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2006, 09:05:48 AM »

I think leaking will only help the cause of the album anyway.? What better way to get publicity then having one of the most anticipated albums of the decade flying through cyberspace at lightning speed??

The biggest thing that will hurt sales is iTunes. I'm talking strictly hurting album sales. If the band decides on "Better" as the first single, that thing will take off. The problem is, if you sell it as a single on iTunes, people won't buy the whole album. I posted this on another GN'R forum, but I'll post it again here.

The best thing for album sales would be a new promotion style on iTunes. Sell the album on there, of course, but do NOT sell "Better" as a single. However, give every person who goes to the iTunes store the opportunity to listen to "Better" one time for FREE. Have some sort of IP Address blocker or something that prevents people from recording it or from listening to it more than once. That way, everyone would get a good chance to hear a kickass song, and they would likely be willing to buy the album. Include the digital album art, liner notes, and TWO music videos only available with the album (one for "Better" and perhaps something live like "Welcome To The Jungle" from Rock AM Ring). Price it at $9.99. That would definitely help album sales I think.

What about people behind proxy servers?  Or using PAT?   What about people who use PPPoE and change IPs several times per day?

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2006, 09:30:19 AM »

I expect the album to leak the Friday before it comes out.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
stvyrayvhn
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2006, 10:49:13 AM »

Axl has always guarded his music closely.  About 6 months before UYI was released I had most of it on tape.  It was very hard to get any GNR bootlegs but a friend of mine gave me a tape.  There is a local record store that sold bootleged tapes and before UYI was released I'd periodically go down there to checkout what were the latest tapes available.  One day I went in and notcied all the GN'R bootlegs were pulled.  The owner said he was contacted by management or a lawyer or someone to pull the tapes or he was going to get sued. 

So I'm not surprised at how closely Axl is watching over these tapes.  He's very passionate about his work and wants people to hear the music the way he wants people to hear it. 
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2006, 11:26:54 AM »

If there's a set release date, and the album leaks.. What amount of time between the leak and the actual release date must it be for you to download it?

Personally, it would be hard, but I will not download if the album comes out anytime this year. I wanna feel surprised when I buy the album! Smiley

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2006, 12:09:17 PM »

I would download Rhiad anytime! I'm dying to listen to this song in good quality... If it would be a studio version, even better!!!

The other songs - the real new ones - I would try to wait for... Yeah, I can't promisse anything, but I will buy it for sure anyways.

GNR estranged
Rocker

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2006, 12:19:47 PM »

i dont think it will leak too far away from the release date. when nirvana came out with their box set there were a lot of things done to stop leaks. whenever somebody wanted to review it they had to go and listen to the box set on a laptop and only had an hour in a room to do it. they will crack down big time on this cd.. im sure leaks will get out because there is always a way to get them, but i dont think it will happen that far in advance of the release date.
November_Rain
Loyal to death
VIP

The bittersweet honey of your eyes...

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2006, 12:34:28 PM »

I wish it didn?t leak but it?s impossible to avoid it Sad

Nobody will ever love you the way I do...
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2006, 12:38:05 PM »

a few days before as "Contraband" in 2004.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2006, 12:43:48 PM »

I think leaking will only help the cause of the album anyway.  What better way to get publicity then having one of the most anticipated albums of the decade flying through cyberspace at lightning speed? 

What about people behind proxy servers?  Or using PAT?   What about people who use PPPoE and change IPs several times per day?

Apple has some pretty smart guys working for them. I'm sure they'd be able to figure out a way to protect the content from getting either recorded or listened to more than once by people who try to get around it. I just think my idea would be much better than letting people cherry-pick songs. At the same time, it's not fair to buyers for them to not hear a great sample of how good the album might be. Granted, that's how it works in record stores, but in the digital world people deserve better given that they pay more for no physical content (an actual CD, CD case, booklet, etc.).
Gargh!
Rocker

Danny Cockroach

« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2006, 12:58:21 PM »

GNRfan2008 - bugger that.  The packaging etc is not worth the extra cost - downloading people aren't exactly getting a raw deal.

Welcome to the ZooFarm: www.myspace.com/dannycockrach

Please check us out and leave us some feedback.  If you live near us, it'd be great to see you at a show or something.  Rock on!
CVBTank
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2006, 05:35:07 PM »

The album has taken 13 years to release because Axl has been burning each individual copy on his computer to ensure that nothing leaks.
Bono
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2006, 05:36:39 PM »

The album has taken 13 years to release because Axl has been burning each individual copy on his computer to ensure that nothing leaks.

Grin Probably. He's got them all locked in a  trunk in his closet at home.
comaknight
Rocker

When all is said and done, we're not the only ones

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2006, 06:48:00 PM »

I'll download it just because of the anticipation, but buy it out of respect.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2006, 07:26:24 PM »

I'll download it just because of the anticipation, but buy it out of respect.

I feel the same way. Even if I download it and absolutely hate it, I'll still buy it at midnight just to pay for it.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: