Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 07:13:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash To Mentor American Idol Rock Week
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash To Mentor American Idol Rock Week  (Read 68523 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #160 on: May 06, 2009, 10:22:12 PM »

^^ Not the best quality...

Final 4 and Slash play "Schools Out"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49grRLsXgn0

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
AC
Rocker

« Reply #161 on: May 06, 2009, 10:29:23 PM »

I didn't get the feeling that he was selling anything last night, personally.

I didn't see it, but I think people who go on TV shows when they don't have anything to sell are often doing it to get attention.

I couldn't agree with you more, and I couldn't disagree with you more at the same time. ONLY because Slash proved me wrong last night (I haven't watched tonight's yet so I could change my mind again...haha), he really did a standup job of coming off as the only musician to ever be on the show and not try and sell something other than his experience as a rock n' roll guitar player. Anything said about former bands, current and/or future projects was done by the host and in no way did it come off as a sales pitch. That was class. And trust me, I lost all respect for Slash after reading his book, so this is a pretty huge turning point for me. LOL. In fact, my brother sent me a text today asking if I hated AI now that Slash mentored on it and I said "no, in fact I'm giving him a lot more credit now".

I think we've beaten a dead horse here anyway...haha. It's a show, it's Slash, it's the current state of the music business (it sucks) and life moves on...

Peace out,
a.

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #162 on: May 06, 2009, 10:35:32 PM »

Dear god, what an embarrassment. The group numbers are hideously lame on Idol and this one was doubly worse because Slash was drawn into the suckfest.

I love the guy and will always support him, but Slash should have stayed far away from the group number. Seriously lame.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #163 on: May 06, 2009, 11:23:05 PM »

So what's the verdict?  Did Slash get voted out this week?  I sure hope so, I can't take seeing him on there one more night.

Also, what did Slash say about his solo album?

"I've got a solo album coming out."

Master promoter I tell ya.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #164 on: May 06, 2009, 11:49:23 PM »

Also, what did Slash say about his solo album?

"I've got a solo album coming out."

Master promoter I tell ya.

Undecided

Luckily for Abdul, ex-Guns N Roses guitarist Slash kept up the mentor tradition of sucking worst on the results shows, declining even to reveal who would be singing lead on the solo album he was supposedly there to promote.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/media/2009/05/american-idol-sends-the-last-lady-home.html

Pine Barrens
« Reply #165 on: May 07, 2009, 12:40:38 AM »

Brain was on an episode of the Apprentice. Dizzy played some chocolate convention or whatever it was in Mexico...But Slash gets dumped on for going on American Idol?

It is interesting to sit back and watch how one person's personal opinion on someone else can echo so strongly and, dare I say, blindly, in others'. To choose to believe something to such a degree and to make it your personal mission to defame the opponent with whom you have never had any personal relationship with is pretty fucking bold, but not very intelligent.

I don't defend Slash. I don't defend Axl. I attack stupidity and ignorance.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 12:47:22 AM by Pine Barrens » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #166 on: May 07, 2009, 12:59:33 AM »

Yeah and Richard has played with everyone from NSync to now Rhianna......

oh how everyone forgets

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
monkeychow
VIP

How's that for provocation?

« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2009, 01:17:20 AM »

Why not mention two legendary vocalists? It reinforces Slash's resume.  I think thers is a hidden reason why the lead singers of VR/GnR were not shown.

But it is very possible Axl and Scott didn't want their pictures show; that is some significant gossip.

It's kinda a damned if he does or doesn't thing IMO. Like if he shows GNR people will be upset that he's been out of the band for 15 years or whatever it is now yet is profiting from the name and branding and so on, and if he doesn't show GNR then it's an obvious snub to Axl. Like realisticly...either way he is going to get heat from this board.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2009, 01:24:34 AM »

I think sometimes people want validation for Slash not being in the band and he doing stuff like this gives them that.

Whatever Slash chooses to do now, He has earned that right regardless of what I think about it.

I hate Fergie and I hate AI but like someone says about Axl, Slash doesn't live his life for us.

Isn't that what is said about Axl? How he doesn't live his life based on what we want?

Slash is the same way. If he wants to do something, god bless him. I don't like AI or Fergie but if u stop liking someone cause of that, u never were a fan anyway.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #169 on: May 07, 2009, 02:02:11 AM »

Dear god, what an embarrassment.

did you honestly expect anything less than embarassment?
$$$$
VIP

the disrespect in your eye

« Reply #170 on: May 07, 2009, 02:08:06 AM »

oh how everyone forgets

Yes but we are talking about Slash here! Slash!

hes legendary and does not need to lower himself to the level of has-been losers like Brett Micheals.
sometimes i just wanna shake Slash and yell "your better than this!"

im not mad though just kind of.....disappointed Sad

BASTARD SON OF A LOADED GUN
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #171 on: May 07, 2009, 02:15:40 AM »

sometimes i just wanna shake Slash and yell "your better than this!"

the truth is simply, no, he's not better than that.   He's shown it time and time again over the years.   He's a cariculture of his former self and theres nothing cool about what has happened to this man over the last decade.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #172 on: May 07, 2009, 02:48:27 AM »

Slash's next move should be going on Hannah Montana and playing with the Jonas Brothers. That is the logical step for Slash now. Its not like Slash would look anymore lame by doing that then he already does now. I just saw 10 seconds of him playing the schools out song with the karaoke kids on American Idol before it sickened and disgusted me.

Fuck you Saul. When your solo album comes out, maybe you can fulfill your dream of opening for Bon Jovi you fucking wanker. In a million fucking years, I never would have guessed that the cool motherfucking half man half beast guitar player in Guns N' Roses would have turned out like this. You have got to be fucking kidding me D. Actually you like Jovi so I am not surprised. That should not have surprised you that that sorry pretty boy douche would have appeared on this show. He is as safe as a marsh mellow puff. I guess Slash is now too. Good riddance.

For the first time, the name Slash absolutely sounds stupid as fuck for Saul. Time to change that shit to something more fitting. How about "Meow." I will give that to you for free Mr. Hudson. How embarrassing.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #173 on: May 07, 2009, 04:09:33 AM »

the truth is simply, no, he's not better than that.   He's shown it time and time again over the years.   He's a cariculture of his former self and theres nothing cool about what has happened to this man over the last decade.

And what is it thats "happened" to this man over the past decade JB?

He's happily married with a wife and kids and now sober?

You all fucking bitch and moan about how difficult it must have been for Axl to put up with Slash drinking and doing drugs.  Now the guy has a family and obviosuly cant be as "dangerous" as he once was.  So when he is doing drugs its bad to Axl but when he sobers up he is no longer dangerous?

So is Slash a sell out???  Well, in the GNR days it was AXL that wanted to make big videos and have Stephanie in them(HOW ROCK N ROLL!!)  After Appetite, GNR videos were generally AXL with minimum input from the others.  How about swimming with Dolphins when GNR were supposed to have a street image?

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2009, 05:12:31 AM »

Wow, no-one brings up the fact that regardless of him being on AI, Slash absolutely ripped through the solos in School's Out.

Some people may argue about Slash being on the show in the first place, but bringing that sort of kick ass guitar playing to the masses on a show like AI is a smart move in general, especially with his solo album coming out.

I don't think Slash had to say much, his guitar playing said it all for him! ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #175 on: May 07, 2009, 06:11:51 AM »

Fuck you Saul. When your solo album comes out, maybe you can fulfill your dream of opening for Bon Jovi you fucking wanker. In a million fucking years, I never would have guessed that the cool motherfucking half man half beast guitar player in Guns N' Roses would have turned out like this. You have got to be fucking kidding me D. Actually you like Jovi so I am not surprised. That should not have surprised you that that sorry pretty boy douche would have appeared on this show. He is as safe as a marsh mellow puff. I guess Slash is now too. Good riddance.

A bit much methinks.

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #176 on: May 07, 2009, 08:59:30 AM »

oh how everyone forgets

He's a musician.  It's his job to play music... who he plays with is none of our concern.
Appearing on a TV show (especially one such as this) in any capacity other than as a performer or interviewee is completely different.

I did not know about Brain being on The Apprentice, but my respect for him just went down a bit, too.

Like I said before, I'm not saying musicians can't do what they want... but I'm certainly not going to pretend it doesn't bother me when a musician I like decides to piss on his art by cashing in on it like that.  I'm not going to respect someone who pisses on their art, either.

It's funny how in one topic you rejoice at Duff hating the idea of going onto a reality show, but in this one you're acting like going on a reality show is a fantastic idea.  At least be consistent.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 09:04:17 AM by MrRedfield » Logged
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #177 on: May 07, 2009, 09:12:51 AM »

So is Slash a sell out???  Well, in the GNR days it was AXL that wanted to make big videos and have Stephanie in them(HOW ROCK N ROLL!!)  After Appetite, GNR videos were generally AXL with minimum input from the others.  How about swimming with Dolphins when GNR were supposed to have a street image?

Music videos are all part of the art if done correctly.  If anything, it's more artistic to have those videos than just the generic "performance" video, which is something quick, easy and boring to put out just so that you have a video on TV.
The only thing I've objected to is Axl allowing the use of GN'R songs in a Harley Davidson commercial.  But other than that, he's been very careful to not sell out - right down to refusing to put out a record until he was completely happy with it.  As for appearing on a reality TV show?  "But Sebastian, you don't understand.  I'd pay VH1 a million dollars to leave me alone", pretty much sums it up.

Axl is one of the few musicians left (along with Trent Reznor, Tool, Pearl Jam and a few more) to still have some semblance of artistic integrity.  But... this has nothing to do with what Axl has or hasn't done - and trying to twist it around to make it look like he's the sell-out backfires pretty quickly once you realise he's not nearly the media whore people make him out to be.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #178 on: May 07, 2009, 09:48:33 AM »

Music videos are all part of the art if done correctly.  If anything, it's more artistic to have those videos than just the generic "performance" video, which is something quick, easy and boring to put out just so that you have a video on TV.

My point was that Slash is getting bashed by SOME for not being "dangerous" or"street".  But neither was Axl in some of the Illusion era videos and tour.  And im sure the other members would have liked to do more "street" videos like Jungle.

He's a musician.  It's his job to play music... who he plays with is none of our concern.
Appearing on a TV show (especially one such as this) in any capacity other than as a performer or interviewee is completely different.

So its ok for Richard to perform with whoever he likes but not Slash?  Slash also gets bashed for performing with Fergie but i never hear GNR fans say "He's a musician.  It's his job to play music".

On American Idol, Slash did perform and gave some tips to singers.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #179 on: May 07, 2009, 09:51:12 AM »

Slash on American Idol (interview)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tBEBhtjhu8

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: