Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:46:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 189371 times)
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #220 on: March 19, 2012, 11:32:34 AM »

^ They've been shopping a $200M minority stake for the past year; that's about to close soon, but all but $20M is being sold to Wilpon-related entities (basically, they're selling a minority stake to themselves).  I'm shocked that minority ownership was such a tough sell when one of the "perks" being offered to minority investors was "access to Mr. Met" (whatever the fuck that means).  Also, the one non-Wilpon guy who was going to put up $20M (Steve Cohen) is now a finalist to buy the Dodgers, which would make him ineligible to buy a Mets stake.

Outside of the credit calls, which may or may not back off, they also have $65M in loans maturing THIS year.  I'm sure they'll be able to re-finance that, but it's just more to kick down the road, which has to catch up at some point (I hope).  And on top of all that, they're bleeding money from operations.  I understand they lost $70M last year (that's team operations only).  With the $50M off payroll this year (biggest payroll cut in history, by the way), they'll still lose $20M (assuming attendance revenues don't continue to plummet).   
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #221 on: March 19, 2012, 01:10:20 PM »

^ They've been shopping a $200M minority stake for the past year; that's about to close soon, but all but $20M is being sold to Wilpon-related entities (basically, they're selling a minority stake to themselves).  I'm shocked that minority ownership was such a tough sell when one of the "perks" being offered to minority investors was "access to Mr. Met" (whatever the fuck that means).  Also, the one non-Wilpon guy who was going to put up $20M (Steve Cohen) is now a finalist to buy the Dodgers, which would make him ineligible to buy a Mets stake.

Outside of the credit calls, which may or may not back off, they also have $65M in loans maturing THIS year.  I'm sure they'll be able to re-finance that, but it's just more to kick down the road, which has to catch up at some point (I hope).  And on top of all that, they're bleeding money from operations.  I understand they lost $70M last year (that's team operations only).  With the $50M off payroll this year (biggest payroll cut in history, by the way), they'll still lose $20M (assuming attendance revenues don't continue to plummet).   

Just FYI:  That number (their losses in 2010 and 2011) factors in payments on "debt" that the Wilpons essentially owe themselves (via various financial instruments. some deferred money coverage, and development loans they've made to the Mets organization).  Not all of it..for sure...but some of it. And I'm not saying they're not paying it off the books (they sort of have to)....but it's a little different when you're making payments to "yourself", to lower those payments or "refi" the debt. They couldn't do that, during the lawsuits.  They do owe JP Morgan Chase a sizeable amount of money...and I'm sure that's sucking up a LOT of profit, considering the rate of interest they've reported is insane (and was taken during the lawsuits, when they refi'd it).

Remember something else:  It was in the Wilpons best interest to paint as bleak a financial picture, for the court (and the mediator), as they possibly could.

I think, coming out, they're in little real danger (at least immediate danger) of losing the team.  IF they prioritize the Mets, amongst their holdings (and, given the talk coming from the family, it seems like they will).  It's not all roses, for sure.  But I think you're stuck with them for awhile.

And, likely, nobody else.  Get used to hearing Ike Davis' name...a LOT.  Wright will probably be gone by the deadline...and it wouldn't surprise me to see Santanna go, too (assuming he can show he's "back" from his injury).

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #222 on: March 19, 2012, 01:21:23 PM »

Also...remember they hold SNY, too.

You know, the network which had it's debt  refinanced, and then the owners paid themselves (The Wilpons own 70%...Comcast and TW split the other 30%) about 240 million in dividends?

The network that turned about 100 million in PROFIT last year?

It's profits can help offset some of the "pain" of the settlement.....

It's carrying about 420 million in debt, on a value of around 1.5 billion.  Pretty low, all things considered (ironically, the network is more valuable than the Mets are).

Edit:

Sounds like they might only actually have to pay 40 million, out of their own pocket, over the term of the settlement.
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/19/the-wilpons-arent-gonna-be-out-all-that-much-money/related/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:33:03 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #223 on: March 19, 2012, 04:40:51 PM »

Just FYI:  That number (their losses in 2010 and 2011) factors in payments on "debt" that the Wilpons essentially owe themselves (via various financial instruments. some deferred money coverage, and development loans they've made to the Mets organization).  Not all of it..for sure...but some of it. And I'm not saying they're not paying it off the books (they sort of have to)....but it's a little different when you're making payments to "yourself", to lower those payments or "refi" the debt. They couldn't do that, during the lawsuits.  They do owe JP Morgan Chase a sizeable amount of money...and I'm sure that's sucking up a LOT of profit, considering the rate of interest they've reported is insane (and was taken during the lawsuits, when they refi'd it).

Remember something else:  It was in the Wilpons best interest to paint as bleak a financial picture, for the court (and the mediator), as they possibly could.

I think, coming out, they're in little real danger (at least immediate danger) of losing the team.  IF they prioritize the Mets, amongst their holdings (and, given the talk coming from the family, it seems like they will).  It's not all roses, for sure.  But I think you're stuck with them for awhile.

And, likely, nobody else.  Get used to hearing Ike Davis' name...a LOT.  Wright will probably be gone by the deadline...and it wouldn't surprise me to see Santanna go, too (assuming he can show he's "back" from his injury).

True on the inter-Wilpon debt, but I believe its negligible compared to the debts owed to BofA, MLB and Chase.

Agreed it was by design to paint a bleak picture, but in this case the motive and reality aligned quite well, as evidenced by an empty Citifield and the fact that practically nobody will take a minority stake in the team, among other things.

I don't think 'prioritizing' the Mets will make any difference, as I think this debacle was caused by a shortage of competence and scruples, not focus. 

Agreed on Wright, but not Davis or Santana.  Davis will be making around MLB minimum for a few more years and then will still be under team control with arbitration, so he's too cheap to trade; basically, until he's an unrestricted free agent, he'll be making good money for the team.  Santana, likely not for opposite reasons.  Even if he miraculously works back to pre-injury form, no team in their right mind would take him at $25M per.   

SNY, yes that does well, but $100 million profit and $1.5 billion value seem a bit high; curious where you got those numbers.  Also surprised that they would pay themselves $240M in dividends (how did they manage that with only $100M in profits and still make debt service payments on a $420M loan?)

The $40 million might be a bit optimistic.  The Mets have "victim" claim of $178M against the Madoff trust fund.  They're expecting that all claims will receive about 50-60% of their claim; assuming generously $100M for Willpon, netting that against the $162M, he'd owe $62M.  As I said to start out, I don't think this settlement will lose him the team, but I'm hopeful that in conjunction with other debt burdens, all other fuck-ups to date (and more to come), the nightmare will end in a few years.  We shall see.   

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #224 on: March 19, 2012, 08:01:22 PM »

Agreed on Wright, but not Davis or Santana.  Davis will be making around MLB minimum for a few more years and then will still be under team control with arbitration, so he's too cheap to trade; basically, until he's an unrestricted free agent, he'll be making good money for the team.  Santana, likely not for opposite reasons.  Even if he miraculously works back to pre-injury form, no team in their right mind would take him at $25M per.   

I meant Davis would stick around (for exactly the reasons you cite)...get used to hearing his name a lot...because he's going to be the face of the franchise.

If they could trade Santana, and pick up 10 million per year of his salary, there would be contenders lining up at the door for him at the trade deadline...and the Mets would cut 15 million per year in payroll.

SNY, yes that does well, but $100 million profit and $1.5 billion value seem a bit high; curious where you got those numbers.  Also surprised that they would pay themselves $240M in dividends (how did they manage that with only $100M in profits and still make debt service payments on a $420M loan?)

They had 200 million in debt which they "refinanced" into 420 million, and took the proceeds as dividends.  100 million in profit, per year, on 420 million stake is a AAA+ credit rating in corporate terms.  Especially on their value.

There's a good summation of the network buried in this article...you have to read through the whole thing, though.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/03/sports/baseball/03sny.html

The $40 million might be a bit optimistic.  The Mets have "victim" claim of $178M against the Madoff trust fund.  They're expecting that all claims will receive about 50-60% of their claim; assuming generously $100M for Willpon, netting that against the $162M, he'd owe $62M.  As I said to start out, I don't think this settlement will lose him the team, but I'm hopeful that in conjunction with other debt burdens, all other fuck-ups to date (and more to come), the nightmare will end in a few years.  We shall see.   

I, too, think Heyman's projections are optimistic.  But even if they 50%..that's close to 90 million of the 162...leaving about 72 million.  That's a far cry from the initial 1.2 BILLION that was asked for, and the 330 million they were suing for.

NY Times, who have been up the Wilpons ASSES (not in a good way..that's the Post) are saying it's a deal that will likely keep the Mets in the Wilpons hands.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #225 on: March 20, 2012, 04:19:08 PM »

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120319&content_id=27428038&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Who's heard about this? Very childish and immature of CJ, i mean what are they in high school? So Napoli said he wants to hit homers off him. Its his job to try and hit homers off an opposing pitcher! The Rangers are better off without this childish immature prick.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #226 on: March 20, 2012, 05:13:20 PM »

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120319&content_id=27428038&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Who's heard about this? Very childish and immature of CJ, i mean what are they in high school? So Napoli said he wants to hit homers off him. Its his job to try and hit homers off an opposing pitcher! The Rangers are better off without this childish immature prick.

I think it's kinda funny that he did it - thought it was in a joking manner?

Aren't they friends and old battery mates?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #227 on: March 20, 2012, 05:22:47 PM »

CJ meant it as a prank but, Napoli was pissed off about it. He didn't think having his voiicemail bombed and privacy breached to be a "good time". Basically said he doesn't even like him and they haven't even talked since seasons end.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 05:31:53 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #228 on: March 20, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »

SURPRISE, Ariz.-- Left-handed pitcher Derek Holland signed a five-year, $28.5 million deal with the Texas Rangers Tuesday morning.

The deal calls for salaries of $1 million this year, $3.2 million next year, $5.4 million in 2014, $7.4 million in 2015 and $10 million in 2016.

Texas holds an $11 million option for 2017 with a $1.5 million buyout. If the first option is exercised, the Rangers have an $11.5 million option for 2018 with a $1 million buyout. There are additional escalators.

Rangers Get a Deal

Durrett Derek Holland is going to be with the Rangers for a long time. And that's a good thing for Texas, Richard Durrett writes. Blog

The contract gives Holland, 25, the security of five years of guaranteed money, but the club gets the flexibility to tie him up for three years of his free-agency period. He was slated to become a free agent after the 2015 season.

At Holland's news conference Tuesday morning, he thanked his family and his minor league pitching coaches, who stood in the back as the announcement was made.

"I'm very excited to be a part of this," Holland said. "We've got an unbelievable team, we've got upcoming stars coming up in the organization and I want to be a part of that as well."

To do that, Holland is possibly giving up the chance to get out on the free-agent market sooner.

"I know I gave up that stuff, the three years, but to me it's all about being in Texas and wearing that Texas uniform and going and getting some championships," he said.

Holland, originally from Ohio, intends to purchase a home in Texas.

"The most important thing for me is getting a house in Dallas, being a resident in Texas," he said.

Holland, who became a fan favorite with his mustache and his impressions, was 16-5 with a 3.95 ERA in 198 innings (32 starts) in 2011, taking an important step in his maturation process.

From July 7 on, Holland was 10-1 with a 2.77 ERA in his final 15 regular-season starts, and won 12 of his final 13 decisions.

The Ben & Skin Show

Texas Rangers LHP Derek Holland discusses his new five-year, $28.5 million contract and how all the hard work has finally paid off.

More Podcasts ?

"The exciting part of this signing is that Derek represents what we try to do in this organization and that's sign and develop kids that come up and can have an impact on a major league ballclub," Rangers CEO Nolan Ryan said. "He represents that. As an organization, we feel really strong about that."

Holland's most memorable outing was Game 4 of the World Series against the St. Louis Cardinals. With the Rangers down 2-1 in the series, Holland threw 8 1/3 shutout innings at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington and allowed just two hits in the Rangers' victory.

Holland likely will begin the season as the club's No. 2 starter behind Colby Lewis.

Texas added Japanese right-hander Yu Darvish during the offseason for a $56 million, six-year deal.

"They're going to be big parts of our rotation, no doubt about that," Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said. "It's certainly about the individual, but it's about our commitment to signing and developing the best pitching we can. It's an organizational mindset. We've tried to turn that corner a little bit and this is further evidence of that."

Holland was selected in the 25th round of the 2006 draft and worked his way through the minors. He was inconsistent as a big league pitcher, with a 6.12 ERA in 33 games (21 starts) in 2009 and 4.08 ERA in 14 games (10 starts) in 2010, going a combined 11-17.

But he showed great life on his fastball and good movement, and the club stayed patient.

"Baseball is full of adversity," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "There wasn't a time that Derek dealt with adversity that he didn't fight back. That's what I like about him. He's maturing."

It all came together in the second half of last season, and Holland is slated to be a stalwart in the rotation for years to come.

"We said at the beginning of the offseason that one of our goals was to continue to extend some of our core members and keep this group intact for as long as possible," Daniels said. "Derek has done a tremendous job of putting the work in to where he's become part of that core.

"I think we all saw him really start to reach his potential last year, especially in the second half. We're really proud of the work he's put in and looking for continued good things from him and the Rangers for years to come."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/7713011/texas-rangers-derek-holland-reach-five-year-deal-285-million

Great move for the Rangers.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #229 on: March 20, 2012, 08:17:28 PM »

Holy shit, Lance Berkman just hammered Bud Selig - hard.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7714711/st-louis-cardinals-lance-berkman-says-bud-selig-extorted-houston-astros-al-move

Lance Berkman rips Bud Selig

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Lance Berkman said Tuesday that Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig "extorted" new Houston Astros owner Jim Crane into changing leagues as a precondition of the sale of the franchise in November.

Berkman, an Astros fan favorite for 12 seasons before his departure two years ago, called it a "travesty" four months ago when the team agreed to move to the American League in 2013 as part of baseball's new realignment plan. The Astros have played in the National League since their inception as the Houston Colt .45's in 1962.

Berkman raised the stakes before a Grapefruit League game between the Cardinals and Astros in Kissimmee, telling ESPN.com and a reporter from another outlet, "I feel basically like the commissioner extorted Jim Crane into moving the Astros."

Berkman didn't back down when asked if he has conveyed those sentiments directly to Selig. He said he would be comfortable using the word "extort" if he talks to the commissioner.

"If he called me, I would tell him," Berkman said. "I think that's exactly what it was. To tell [Crane], 'We're going to hold the sale of the team up until you guys agreed to switch'? It just happened that the Astros were being sold at an optimal time for that to happen."

Crane, a Houston businessman, signed a deal to buy the Astros for $680 million in May 2011, but asked to renegotiate the terms after the players' association and the commissioner's office agreed on a realignment plan as part of the game's new labor agreement. Baseball is switching from its current format of 16 NL teams and 14 AL clubs to a 15-15 configuration in 2013 in an effort to improve travel conditions and make for a fairer schedule, and the Astros were deemed the best choice to change leagues.

Rob Manfred, MLB's executive vice president of labor relations and human resources, responded to Berkman's comments for the commissioner's office.

"The 15-15 allowed us to make a number of changes in the Basic Agreement, and the Basic Agreement was ratified 30-0," Manfred said. "It got ratified 30-0 due to the efforts of Commissioner Selig, and it got ratified 30-0 even though there were individual issues that the owners may not have agreed on. In the end, they fully supported the deal."

Crane, who was at Osceola County Stadium for Tuesday's game, confirmed he received a price reduction to $615 million, with former Astros owner Drayton McLane Jr. and the 29 other MLB clubs combining to make up the $65 million difference. Crane said the Astros will have increased costs in the American League because of greater West Coast travel and the presence of the designated hitter rule.

"I think it was a good deal for baseball," Crane said. "I think it was a good deal for our owners. Would we have preferred to stay in the National League? Probably, yeah. But that wasn't the deal that was presented to us."

When asked about Berkman's comments, Crane chose to take a more diplomatic route.

"Lance can say what Lance wants to say," Crane said. "He has great ties to the Astros and was a great player there for years. We certainly understand that he's opinionated, but I wouldn't use that strong a term. I think it was just a business deal that got renegotiated."

Berkman cited several factors in objecting to the Astros' move. Houston should get a bump in interest from playing in the same division with the Texas Rangers. But the Astros' home games against AL West opponents Seattle, Oakland and the Los Angeles Angels will air on television at 9:30 p.m. local time.

Berkman also objected to the move because of its impact on franchise tradition. Although the Astros have fallen on hard times recently, they made the playoffs six times in a nine-year span behind Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio and Berkman -- who were known as the "Killer B's."

"When you have a franchise that has 50 years as a National League entity and then switches over to the American League, I just don't like it," Berkman said. "I'm not in favor of it."

This isn't the first time that Berkman has been critical of Selig in the media. In September 2008, he was quick to make his feelings known when MLB shifted an Astros-Cubs series to Milwaukee in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike.

"Major League Baseball has always valued the dollar more than they do the individual, the players and their families," Berkman said at the time.

Selig responded by taking out a two-page ad in the Sunday Houston Chronicle to explain the decision to Astros fans.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #230 on: March 20, 2012, 08:58:09 PM »

I saw that on ESPN earleir, i can hardly blame Berkman for being upset.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #231 on: March 21, 2012, 08:48:49 AM »

Berkman has a point (though his delivery sucks).

That being said...someone had to move to even out the leagues....and Houston was the most obvious choice.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #232 on: March 31, 2012, 04:43:13 PM »

Michael Pineda going on DL
By Wallace Matthews
ESPNNewYork.com

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- An MRI of Michael Pineda's sore right shoulder showed no structural damage, just tendinitis, a development Yankees manager Joe Girardi termed "great news."

Still, the 23-year-old right-hander, acquired from Seattle in January in the trade for Jesus Montero, will begin his first Yankees season on the disabled list, and the date of his first start remains undetermined.

Pineda underwent treatment, including icing, at Steinbrenner Field in Tampa after an MRI exam on Saturday. The right-hander doesn't know when he'll resume playing catch.

"I'm feeling a little better," Pineda said. "A little sore. I'm a little sad. I'll be OK."

Olney: Yankees Await Answers

OlneyAs Michael Pineda deals with shoulder soreness, the Yankees are left wondering if the pitcher will be able to help the team in 2012, writes ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney. Blog Insider

Pineda had experienced soreness in the back of his right shoulder on Friday night.

"I'm pitching this year," Pineda said. "I'm coming back strong."

Girardi, asked if he considered the MRI results good news, called them "great news.''

"We'll be conservative with him,'' Girardi said Saturday. "He'll get treatment and we'll see how long it is.''

The Yankees feared the worst Friday night when Pineda got knocked around by the Philadelphia Phillies. He gave up six runs in 2 2/3 innings, and afterward informed the club that his shoulder was "a little sore."

Once again, Pineda had been unable to generate the kind of velocity on his fastball that he had shown regularly in Seattle, where he averaged 95 mph his rookie season. His fastball Friday was between 89-91 mph, with one reading as high as 94 mph, according to the YES Network radar gun.

But a scout who spoke with ESPNNewYork.com's Andrew Marchand said he clocked Pineda between 88-92 mph.

The concern about Pineda's velocity caused the Yankees to ask him several times the past few weeks if his arm felt OK, and according to Girardi and general manager Brian Cashman, Pineda always told them it did.

But Cashman said Friday night that Pineda's relatively low gun readings were "a red flag," a sentiment Girardi repeated before Saturday's game against the Houston Astros.

Yankees Spring Training 2012

Full coverage from our team in Tampa. Yanks Center ? More Live Top 50 Photo Gallery

"There was always that curiosity, you know, why isn't it going up higher, and as you're looking for answers we're looking, too, trying to figure out why isn't the velocity where it was last year,'' Girardi said. "Is it the innings, is he just not ready to turn it loose, you know, what is it? None of us are ever really going to know but right now, he's shut down and we'll get him back as soon as we can.''

Pineda also had problems with his mechanics and his control Friday night, and after the game told reporters he was consciously trying to throw his fastball harder. Asked if he thought that might have contributed to Pineda's injury, Girardi said, "I can't tell you exactly what it is.''

Now, the Yankees starting rotation is as follows: CC Sabathia pitches the opener on Friday against the Rays in St. Petersburg, followed by Hiroki Kuroda on Saturday and Phil Hughes on Sunday. Ivan Nova opens the series against the Orioles on Monday and Freddy Garcia goes Tuesday.

Pineda's injury in his first season after pitching 171 innings in his rookie season recalled what happened last season to Hughes, who followed his 18-win, 176 1/3 inning 2010 season with an injury-riddled and fastball-deprived 2011.

Hughes, too, was diagnosed with shoulder tendinitis and wound up missing three months of the season, finishing 5-5 with a 5.79 ERA.

"They both got tendinitis, but I wouldn't necessarily say they're similar (injuries)," Girardi said. "There's a lot of parts to that shoulder. It's unfortunate that (Pineda) isn't feeling 100 percent but I think we'll get him back here, I really believe that."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Here we go its the Phil Hughes situation all over again just a different player. Pettitte coming back looms very large now. Hopefully this doesn't cost him 3 months like it did Hughes. It was pretty obvious something was wrong last night. He was cutting his fastball, not getting on top of it and driving it. Which would explain the decrease in velocity.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #233 on: April 01, 2012, 07:11:47 PM »

It's awful quiet around here with Opening Day (well, the North American version at least) this week.

Tough news on Pineda, I absolutely love that kids' stuff - hopefully just a setback and nothing long term.

Saw some highlights from the Marlins new digs today and ouch - that place is rough on the eyes.

And some good natured April Fools hijinx from Lance Berkman on Adam Wainwright..

?JUPITER, Fla. ? Before the top of the third inning, a white 2009 Chevy Silverado drove out onto the warning truck of Roger Dean Stadium as the pa announcer detailed how that truck ? that very truck ? would be given away to a fan in the stands. They could take ownership of the truck as it reached the home dugout.

A name was announced, and the father and son ran gleefully toward the Cardinals dugout to take their prize.

The truck was Adam Wainwright?s.

The whole hoax was setup by Lance Berkman.

He was driving.

Berkman poked his head out just as the winners climbed into the bed of the truck. Wainwright did a double-take as the truck drove onto the field, but he never emerged from the dugout, moving instead back to the bench and out of view as his teammates looked to him for a reaction.

It?s April Fools? Day. In hindsight, we should have expected Berkman to try and pull something.?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #234 on: April 01, 2012, 08:01:07 PM »

Definitely rough news about Pinaeda, hopefully it won't turn into a Hughes situation like last year.

I agree about the Marlins ballpark. Its nice as far as its features and amenities for sure. The bright green though is AWFUL.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #235 on: April 02, 2012, 01:00:04 PM »

Definitely rough news about Pinaeda, hopefully it won't turn into a Hughes situation like last year.

I agree about the Marlins ballpark. Its nice as far as its features and amenities for sure. The bright green though is AWFUL.

I think the injury pretty much means Pinaeda is waiting for someone to stumble or get hurt before he gets called up.  With Andy coming in early May-ish...they've already got one more starter than they need.    I suspect Pinaeda may spend more time in AAA than he will in MLB this year.  And maybe that's what he needs, as a wake up call.

The Yanks think he spent the off season basically doing nothing.  No training, nothing to keep the arm loose, nada.  He came in overweight, out of shape, and reportedly they don't think he picked up a ball between the end of the season and the first day of ST.   Maybe that flies in Seattle...not with the Yanks.

We'll see.

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #236 on: April 02, 2012, 01:32:36 PM »

Looks like Votto is getting paid.

MLB Trade Rumors is reporting the Reds and he have agreed to a $200 million plus extension.

Brandon Phillips days beyond this years appear to over in Cincy...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #237 on: April 02, 2012, 04:07:56 PM »

I think the injury pretty much means Pinaeda is waiting for someone to stumble or get hurt before he gets called up.  With Andy coming in early May-ish...they've already got one more starter than they need.    I suspect Pinaeda may spend more time in AAA than he will in MLB this year.  And maybe that's what he needs, as a wake up call.

The Yanks think he spent the off season basically doing nothing.  No training, nothing to keep the arm loose, nada.  He came in overweight, out of shape, and reportedly they don't think he picked up a ball between the end of the season and the first day of ST.   Maybe that flies in Seattle...not with the Yanks.

We'll see.

If that's true he doesn't deserve to be in the rotation once his shoulder is ok. Unfortunately, i think a lot of the young players are like this. They think they can do nothing during the offseason and just be able to turn it on come ST. That is not the case especially with a pitcher. In the long run i think he'll be fine though. The yankee coaches will get on him to stay in shape or he'll be gone.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #238 on: April 02, 2012, 08:13:18 PM »

Holy fuck...Votto just signed the largest non free agent contract in history - that's right, history.

From hardballtalk:

"The reported 10-year, $225 million extension is actually going to be added to his previous deal, which pays him $9.5 million this year and $17 million in 2013. All told, the Reds have committed to him for $251.5 million through 2023, his age-39 season."

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #239 on: April 03, 2012, 02:31:04 AM »

Holy fuck...Votto just signed the largest non free agent contract in history - that's right, history.

From hardballtalk:

"The reported 10-year, $225 million extension is actually going to be added to his previous deal, which pays him $9.5 million this year and $17 million in 2013. All told, the Reds have committed to him for $251.5 million through 2023, his age-39 season."

Heard about that earlier, that's a lot of money but i think he's worth it. He's a great player and is still quite young heading into his prime.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 61 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: