Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 01:02:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1577493 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2800 on: December 08, 2014, 06:53:41 PM »

They could use the opportunity to play these unreleased songs in front of a live crowd    One of the benifits of this is that the band could see what songs respond well to the crowd and what sticks.   This will give them a better idea out of all these songs that are done, to put on the album

The only problem with that is the fact that most of the crowd would be looking like this  Huh ...

Given the track record, I think touring before a release creates another obstacle to a timely record release.  They only way it would work is to have everything ready to go, sitting with the record label, including a schedule release date.  Aside from that scenario, I'd prefer holding off on touring until they can nail down the record. I also think it would serve them better to tour behind a new record from a promotional perspective.

So in your opinion, if there's a finished album and the only thing missing is a release date, they shouldn't tour until they have one?
And what if that was the case, what if touring would be delayed because band members would commit to their other bands' tours?

See, there's always more than "this should happen". Nobody wants to think of these possible scenarios too much because it invalidates most of their thought out plans.

/jarmo

I think when they played new unreleased songs in the eRly 2000s the crowds were some what into it.   The key would be to play a good mixture of both old and new.  

Or

Play a few smaller club shows.    Where only all new unreleased music would be played.    10 small small small clubs shows. Played all over Canada and Europe.    That's would be kick ass for the fans.  And the band would get a good opinion of there music from there strogest demo
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #2801 on: December 08, 2014, 06:55:12 PM »

As I read interesting perspectives, I have to once again see the topic regress into this?   Roll Eyes

Well, what do you think?

Do you think they can hit the road and have the album come out after, while out there?

Here are a few things that I think.  Guns has a shit load of already recorded songs   They could use the opportunity to play these unreleased songs in front of a live crowd    One of the benifits of this is that the band could see what songs respond well to the crowd and what sticks.   This will give them a better idea out of all these songs that are done, to put on the album

People have used the argument of stuff leaking and ending up on YouTube and bootlegs affecting future album sales.   I disagree.   I feel guns has an already set in fan base right now that isn't going any where.   Next album sales will be on par with CD, which isn't bad.   Only with a huge radio hit will sales increase and leaks will not affect this.  In fact if solid help

Does anyone honestly listen to the radio anymore? I don't listen to anything except a certain classic rock station very late at night to hear deep cuts from my favorite older bands.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:57:29 PM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #2802 on: December 08, 2014, 06:58:55 PM »

People have used the argument of stuff leaking and ending up on YouTube and bootlegs affecting future album sales.   I disagree.   I feel guns has an already set in fan base right now that isn't going any where.   

I tend to think this as well.

Here's another one.  Do you think anyone that downloaded the leaks didn't also buy the album?  Because I do not.  If you were diehard enough to be seeking out anything you can get your hands on as soon as you can get it, in whatever form, they have you for life.  You are hardcore. 

Furthermore, even if you downloaded the leaks, it wasn't like you'd accept them as a substitute. I actually listen to those leaks for the first time in forever.  It amazing how unfinished they sound.  But at the time, they were like manna from heaven to we fans.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2803 on: December 08, 2014, 07:00:07 PM »

Given the track record, I think touring before a release creates another obstacle to a timely record release.  They only way it would work is to have everything ready to go, sitting with the record label, including a schedule release date.  Aside from that scenario, I'd prefer holding off on touring until they can nail down the record. I also think it would serve them better to tour behind a new record from a promotional perspective.

How about this though?  It spares him having to do interviews and such.  Can't do it, on tour.

Do you think that appeals to him?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2804 on: December 08, 2014, 07:00:14 PM »

I think when they played new unreleased songs in the eRly 2000s the crowds were some what into it.   The key would be to play a good mixture of both old and new.  

Or

Play a few smaller club shows.    Where only all new unreleased music would be played.    10 small small small clubs shows. Played all over Canada and Europe.    That's would be kick ass for the fans.  And the band would get a good opinion of there music from there strogest demo

Yeah, but then usually what people like the most are the songs you can get into at once. Anything that's a little more challenging.....

Still don't think the album should have a track list chosen by the fans. That's what I'm trying to say.  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2805 on: December 08, 2014, 07:02:14 PM »

I think when they played new unreleased songs in the eRly 2000s the crowds were some what into it.  

Oh, big time.  We wanted to see what he had.

When I was on Kazaa looking for copies of Vegas 2001 and RIR III, my first targets were not 'Out Ta Get Me' and 'Rocket Queen'. 

I wanted the new stuff.  Wanted the whole concert, but the new songs most of all.

ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #2806 on: December 08, 2014, 08:00:39 PM »

People have used the argument of stuff leaking and ending up on YouTube and bootlegs affecting future album sales.   I disagree.   I feel guns has an already set in fan base right now that isn't going any where.   

Here's another one.  Do you think anyone that downloaded the leaks didn't also buy the album?  Because I do not.  If you were diehard enough to be seeking out anything you can get your hands on as soon as you can get it, in whatever form, they have you for life.  You are hardcore. 

Furthermore, even if you downloaded the leaks, it wasn't like you'd accept them as a substitute. I actually listen to those leaks for the first time in forever.  It amazing how unfinished they sound.  But at the time, they were like manna from heaven to we fans.

It is a good point that anyone going out of their way to hear a leak is likely a big enough fan to buy any album that comes their way. I do think leaks are a shame though because they take the surprise out of everything.

I would be happy to hear new music via any format. If I had to choose which I prefer I would choose whatever was fastest. But then again, the me that exists at the time of the album's release might hate the me that says this now. It is pretty interesting that the whole package has been able to remain a complete mystery up to this point and it would be mind blowing if this thing all of a sudden got released without any of the surprise being spoiled at all beforehand. That would really be a special treat.

It's kind of like if I was a kid and my parents offered me either ten dollars a week for allowance or forty a month. The me living throughout those weeks would want the ten bucks,  but the me at the end of the month would be happy with the one lump sum.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 08:11:20 PM by redneckrudy » Logged

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2807 on: December 08, 2014, 08:24:57 PM »

It is a good point that anyone going out of their way to hear a leak is likely a big enough fan to buy any album that comes their way. I do think leaks are a shame though because they take the surprise out of everything.

I get how the leaks aren't great from the band's perspective.  Which is why I never bought the idea they were intentional.  They don't want half finished stuff out there.

I also get how it ruins the newness of the album, because it does.  You really shouldn't already know all the words to songs before it even comes out.

What I don't get, is how any of us diehard lunatics scouring the earth for anything we can get our hands on are doing something wrong.  The ruined surprise is valid, but that's on us.  I knew downloading them I was doing that to myself.  But...I also had no idea when the hell it might come out.  I was buying it whenever it did, first day, but the leaks were placeholders.  I certainly didn't still pay the band, because I was at Best Buy on 11/23/08, as I'm sure you all were.

ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #2808 on: December 08, 2014, 08:30:51 PM »

^^ I guess it's mostly because we are prying it out of their hands rather than having it given to us. It's like if someone was painting something for us and they wanted it to be a surprise but we disregarded their wishes and attempted to peek at the painting whenever possible.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2809 on: December 08, 2014, 08:36:32 PM »

^^ I guess it's mostly because we are prying it out of their hands rather than having it given to us. It's like if someone was painting something for us and they wanted it to be a surprise but we disregarded their wishes and attempted to peek at the painting whenever possible.

Thing is, I would only do it for this band.  I don't care about any other band nearly enough.

I love Pearl Jam, but I'm not scouring for leaks.  I am a huge Dr. Dre fan.  'Detox' is his 'Chinese Democracy', been working on it for like 12 years.  There are all sorts of leaks out there.  I don't download them.

But if someone told me there was a new, unheard GNR song out there...I'd be stepping on heads like Crocodile Dundee to get my hands on it, ASAFP.

ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #2810 on: December 08, 2014, 08:44:08 PM »

Yeah, I hear you there. It would definitely be a struggle for me to not download any leaks if a surge of them were around the corner. I would probably struggle more over that than I would over whether or not I should allow myself to look at naked pictures of certain women I know without their permission.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2811 on: December 08, 2014, 08:44:53 PM »

As I read interesting perspectives, I have to once again see the topic regress into this?   Roll Eyes

Well, what do you think?

Do you think they can hit the road and have the album come out after, while out there?

Here are a few things that I think.  Guns has a shit load of already recorded songs   They could use the opportunity to play these unreleased songs in front of a live crowd    One of the benifits of this is that the band could see what songs respond well to the crowd and what sticks.   This will give them a better idea out of all these songs that are done, to put on the album

People have used the argument of stuff leaking and ending up on YouTube and bootlegs affecting future album sales.   I disagree.   I feel guns has an already set in fan base right now that isn't going any where.   Next album sales will be on par with CD, which isn't bad.   Only with a huge radio hit will sales increase and leaks will not affect this.  In fact if solid help

Does anyone honestly listen to the radio anymore? I don't listen to anything except a certain classic rock station very late at night to hear deep cuts from my favorite older bands.

I do not understand your edit to your post.  First you said you never listen to the radio, then you changed it to you do.   Weird.  I can see editing a post to change some spelling, but thats kinda chaging the whole point you were trying to make.   Not to big a deal, but I was about to respond your original post and had to change it once I got to work.

In canada the radio is still huge.  In the city I live there are more radio stations than ever.  They are not all playing just top 40, like some people will want you to think.  I personaly like to have some stations on my presets and scroll through them and if nothing catches my ear, the ipod is always plugged in with the tunes ready to go.  Its a great to find new music that you can then add to the ipod, (listening to the radio)

Regadless though, the only way to expand the fan base and turn a hot record into a major hit, is to have radio success with a hit single
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2812 on: December 08, 2014, 08:46:40 PM »

Yeah, I hear you there. It would definitely be a struggle for me to not download any leaks if a surge of them were around the corner. I would probably struggle more over that than I would over whether or not I should allow myself to look at naked pictures of certain women I know without their permission.

Hahahaha

Not a bad analogy.

Even if I somehow avoided the leak initially, I could never listen to people talking about it.  And have it right there, but I don't listen to it. Would be way hard.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2813 on: December 08, 2014, 08:48:34 PM »

Or

Yeah, but then usually what people like the most are the songs you can get into at once. Anything that's a little more challenging.....

Still don't think the album should have a track list chosen by the fans. That's what I'm trying to say.  hihi

/jarmo

I would hate for the "fans" to pick a set list.  I do think they could be used as a great tool for the band to use to find what songs may be best on the album.  Say Axl was debating 3 songs.  With the chances that only one could make the cut.  Playing all 3 live, with the once that gets the best responce would be the way to go
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2814 on: December 08, 2014, 08:53:25 PM »

I also think there is a difference between "leaks" and bootlegs/concert footage on youtube

The leaks that really bothered people in the band and industy were, either pure demos or almost finished must.   Thats not a bootleg

If Guns now plays a concert and some footage of new music is put up on youtube or pased on as bootlegs...   Thats ok...  Its promotion for the band.  Its not stealing a demo.

Infact I doubt anyones new album experience would be affected by hearing a new song played live, then watching the song on youtube.  Its not the final product.  Music always sounds different from a live performace to a album
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #2815 on: December 08, 2014, 08:56:10 PM »

Hahahaha

Not a bad analogy.

Even if I somehow avoided the leak initially, I could never listen to people talking about it.  And have it right there, but I don't listen to it. Would be way hard.

Yeah, what you said works well with the analogy too.

Friend #1:
"Hey man, you see those naked pictures of Ashley yet?"
Friend #2:
Yeah, I didn't realize she had such big nipples. While that was kind of a turn off, I must say her boobs were amazingly firm for a forty year old's! And look, no cellulite (points to under the ass region).
Me: ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?  (GOD DAMN I WANT TO LOOK SO BAD)

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2816 on: December 08, 2014, 08:57:15 PM »

I think everyone who downloaded the leaks also bought the album.  I dont think they lost any record sales with this.  The fan base at this point is what it is.  The only thing that will increase album sales of the next record will be a hit single that brings in new fans and brings back the lost older fans
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2817 on: December 08, 2014, 08:58:07 PM »

I also think there is a difference between "leaks" and bootlegs/concert footage on youtube

The leaks that really bothered people in the band and industy were, either pure demos or almost finished must.   Thats not a bootleg

If Guns now plays a concert and some footage of new music is put up on youtube or pased on as bootlegs...   Thats ok...  Its promotion for the band.  Its not stealing a demo.

Infact I doubt anyones new album experience would be affected by hearing a new song played live, then watching the song on youtube.  Its not the final product.  Music always sounds different from a live performace to a album

I see collecting concert bootlegs as a compliment to the band.

Look, if they put them out (like Pearl Jam does) I'd buy them.  But if you are nuts enough for a band to download literally hundreds of their concerts, you are a crazy big time fan, emphasis on the crazy.

As for studio leaks, if you mean the finished album leaking 2 days before release, I'd agree.  But something like the leaks in 2006, is that the same thing?  I was totally blown away by 'There Was A Time' in the Spring of 2006, but you knew damn well that was no finished version.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2818 on: December 08, 2014, 09:13:42 PM »

I see collecting concert bootlegs as a compliment to the band.

Look, if they put them out (like Pearl Jam does) I'd buy them.  But if you are nuts enough for a band to download literally hundreds of their concerts, you are a crazy big time fan, emphasis on the crazy.

As for studio leaks, if you mean the finished album leaking 2 days before release, I'd agree.  But something like the leaks in 2006, is that the same thing?  I was totally blown away by 'There Was A Time' in the Spring of 2006, but you knew damn well that was no finished version.

Ya I consider any studio leaks really stealing from the band, but I do bet that any one who did download them, bought the album.  So the band got paid back.....

Bootlegs are not stealing.  Live recordings are not stealing.  i would bet if guns put out another live album, anyone who ever listend to a bootleg would buy the album also.

I would think most people would buy a live blue ray album if released from the band if they liked to watch concert footage on youtube.  I remeber though reading on here that you have said you havnt bought the blue ray yet.  Have you since?  If not why?  As you are a supporter on bootlegs and youtube footage
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #2819 on: December 08, 2014, 10:22:05 PM »

I have the audio version of the 11/21/12 show.

I have the audio version of the 5/31/2012 show in London too, which I think I like better.

Videos don't do much for me.  I'm never going to sit and watch a concert.  But I'll listen to one on the putting green, on the beach, in the car/plane.

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: