Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 04:50:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Slash says "never say never" over return to classic-era GN'R lineup
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash says "never say never" over return to classic-era GN'R lineup  (Read 117149 times)
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #440 on: May 20, 2015, 08:45:05 AM »

I really dont get the mentality of not wanting more from your favorite band. I can honestly see the argument being made if a band was putting out albums consistantly
over a 2-3 year period. GNR has never done that and still manages to have a significant fan base.

When people stop wanting more its a sign that theyve become complacent and stopped caring.

But here's where I don't think you see the difference. Everybody here wants more from their favorite band, but not everybody complains about not getting more.

I want more of everything, more shows, more music, more interviews etc... Doesn't mean I have a need to go on and on about it in a fan forum which eventually becomes a complaint about not getting these things.

Have you honestly seen anyone here come out and say "I don't want anything more from this band"?

Spirit.. I agree

However, there have been people who take the stance that they could never do anything again.. and that's ok too.

Which I can't buy. I'd be really upset if all the songs just end up in a vault or released one day long after Axl is gone.

In regards to the new band, that's a stance often taken by the reunionists (reunion or nothing). Not many of them here though.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #441 on: May 20, 2015, 09:25:46 AM »

I pointed it out earlier, but AC/DC is playing stadiums. You don't think a hypothetical reunion, which happens to be the darling of the media, would get more attention than yet another AC/DC tour?

Playing limited dates though.  A GNR reunion tour would be the most viable tour of the USA GNR will have done since 1993.  Not going to be a limited dates situation.

You can't play stadiums everywhere.  Sure, New York and L.A. are no worries.  But what about Iowa and Oklahoma?  There won't be a state you skip, so it makes more sense to have a tour configuration that can play in all 48 contiguous states.  Not just here and there.

Even the Rolling Stones themselves have not done a full blown U.S. stadium tour in 20 years, for the same reasons.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #442 on: May 20, 2015, 09:29:38 AM »

Everyone it seems is ignoring the elephant in the room... no

Just supposing, the reunion happened, one date or one tour, then what? Ever one lived happily ever after.... Nu Guns would be finished, and I think that would also mean that the reunited band would have to revisit the recording process, in which at least 2 of the 3 key members have publicly have dismissed as not wanting to go there again.  So  unless Axl changes his methodology in the writing and recording process, and there is no evidence to show that he has, in wanting the Golden egg laying goose, demand has just killed it.

The minute there is any sort of reunion, the new band is finished. 

Axl is no dummy.  He knows this.  People aren't going to see Axl play with DJ Ashba because its their first choice.  Its because its, quite literally, that or nothing.

Once you give the people the option they'd prefer?  You can't go back.

I don't see any sort of recording process for a reunited band.  I think its tour only.  So I don't think worrying about that part of this is time well spent.

Of course, talking about this at all is probably not time well spent, I suppose.  Longest of longshots.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #443 on: May 20, 2015, 09:32:31 AM »

Certain people always "need" something from their favorite bands. When they get it, then they find something else they need.
Imagine if the reunion had happened at the RNRHOF in 2012. Do you think people would've been happy with that and moved on?

No.  They would say that they no longer see why the actual band they know and love can't tour again.

Axl couldn't go because of that.  The question then becomes about his intentions.  He knows the new band is dead the second he gets back on stage with Slash and Duff.  So if you don't want to do it for that reason, presumably, its because you still have big plans for the current line-up.

<crickets>

Problem is, 3 years later now, do we even know if there will be anything from his current band?  Because, if there is not, he might as well have gone to the RNR HOF.

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #444 on: May 20, 2015, 10:14:32 AM »

How much is anyone here willing to pay to see a reunion show?  I would guess it would be in the $500-$1000 range, in which case, it would a Youtube-only event for me.  Compared to the $50-$100 prices for the current band's shows, I wouldn't pay too much more than that to see the original members... maybe $200 tops ($205 if Adler's in  Grin). 
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #445 on: May 20, 2015, 10:20:45 AM »

How much is anyone here willing to pay to see a reunion show?  I would guess it would be in the $500-$1000 range, in which case, it would a Youtube-only event for me.  Compared to the $50-$100 prices for the current band's shows, I wouldn't pay too much more than that to see the original members... maybe $200 tops ($205 if Adler's in  Grin). 

No way they would charge that kind of coin.  Those are Eagles and Paul McCartney prices, who happen to have very affluent fanbases.

I assume a ticket would be about $150-200 for an arena.  And I'd pay it, gladly.

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #446 on: May 20, 2015, 10:25:41 AM »

No way they would charge that kind of coin.  Those are Eagles and Paul McCartney prices, who happen to have very affluent fanbases.

I assume a ticket would be about $150-200 for an arena.  And I'd pay it, gladly.

I heard this second-hand, so I may be totally off, but wasn't that the price range for the Van Halen reunion shows?  If so, I think that's an appropriate standard for comparison.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #447 on: May 20, 2015, 10:31:50 AM »

I know this can be a touchy subject, but I think it na?ve to not at least point out that Axl's unpredictability could hurt how much they might be able to charge.

The Eagles absolutely rape you on ticket prices.  But, not much chance they don't take the stage until 11:30 or storm off the stage for whatever reason.  You will get your show, on time.

Everyone has their jumping off point for whatever reason, but I think Axl being such a wild card would play a role.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #448 on: May 20, 2015, 10:37:14 AM »

I heard this second-hand, so I may be totally off, but wasn't that the price range for the Van Halen reunion shows?  If so, I think that's an appropriate standard for comparison.

I paid upwards of $200 for Van Halen tickets, and the seats weren't even that good. It was at Mohegan Sun, where tickets are typically more expensive, and while the show was good I don't think it was worth it. I vowed to never pay that much again for tickets. But I would make an exception for a GNR show with Axl, Slash, Duff, etc. $500 would be a bit outrageous. That I'd have to think about, but I think they'd be less than that.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #449 on: May 20, 2015, 10:38:32 AM »

If all NuGuns is going to continue to be is a touring act, then I would rather see the guys who created the music doing the touring.
I certainly understand why fans of Chinese Democracy would prefer to see that incarnation performing their songs, but I myself have no real emotional attachment to that album, or players. I had a blast at the multiple shows I attended, but I?ve seen all I need to see of the Chinese Democracy tour.

If they were to release new music, that?s another story, but as of today GN?R is solely a touring act, who just lost one of it?s most talented players, and classic Guns were one of, if not the greatest live acts in the history of rock n? roll.

I think they could theoretically reunite for a tour, then go back to what they are doing today.
It would be the same situation. Plenty of fans would prefer to see Axl with Slash, but if the only option is to see Axl with Ashba, they will take what they can get. The Ashba fans will still be there. It?s not like fans are suddenly going to protest. Some fans like myself may decide they?ve had their fill, but that would happen regardless. People will always pay to see Axl perform at any capacity, and especially when the ticket stub reads Guns N? Roses.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #450 on: May 20, 2015, 10:42:17 AM »

I paid upwards of $200 for Van Halen tickets, and the seats weren't even that good. It was at Mohegan Sun, where tickets are typically more expensive, and while the show was good I don't think it was worth it. I vowed to never pay that much again for tickets. But I would make an exception for a GNR show with Axl, Slash, Duff, etc. $500 would be a bit outrageous. That I'd have to think about, but I think they'd be less than that.

They'd get $500 out of me without much of a problem.  At least for the first time.

I would rationalize it that I never thought it would happen.  And that given the combustible dynamic, it might be the only time I have the chance.

Now, if it went off without a hitch, and they were back on the road again 3 years later?  Then I'm not sure I'm going for $500.

(but I probably am, who am I kidding?)

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #451 on: May 20, 2015, 10:42:48 AM »

A stadium tour charging 500-1000?!?!?!?   Hahahahahahahaha. I don't think so

If there was a reunion

Tickets would be slightly more than recent guns shows.   I would say 25% more.  So say average ticket price 125-150

Difference would be.  The places they are playing...   Would be sold out!!!!
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #452 on: May 20, 2015, 10:44:20 AM »

If all NuGuns is going to continue to be is a touring act, then I would rather see the guys who created the music doing the touring.
I certainly understand why fans of Chinese Democracy would prefer to see that incarnation performing their songs, but I myself have no real emotional attachment to that album, or players. I had a blast at the multiple shows I attended, but I?ve seen all I need to see of the Chinese Democracy tour.

I think this sums up where most people are at.

If Axl truly was resistant to this because he still had plans for the current band, that's one thing.  But to sit on their asses for years at a time, only to eventaully hit up Vegas every few years and play 25 year old songs?

If that's all that's in the cards, yeah, give me the real band.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #453 on: May 20, 2015, 10:48:53 AM »

A stadium tour charging 500-1000?!?!?!?   Hahahahahahahaha. I don't think so

If there was a reunion

Tickets would be slightly more than recent guns shows.   I would say 25% more.  So say average ticket price 125-150

Difference would be.  The places they are playing...   Would be sold out!!!!

Yeah, a stadium tour would actually reduce ticket price, due to more seats.  Which is why when the Stones did that tour in 2002 or so for '40 Licks', the one where they played clubs, arena and stadiums, the price differences were stark.  $300 for the stadium, but $600 for the arena.

The average ticket price would likely work out to $150, but that's also by virtue of the $75 nosebleeds being offset by the $450 for the floor.

And yes, the biggest difference would be the amount of tickets moved.  Actually, scratch that.  The biggest difference would be actual promotion and attention from someone other than us.

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #454 on: May 20, 2015, 10:57:17 AM »

I placed a bid for (2) tickets on eBay for $1,000 to go to the RN?R HOF.
Granted I had a few beers(and probably a few cocktails) in me at the time.
I wasn?t under any illusion that the band would reunite, but figured we might get a chance to see Izzy and the boys perform in some capacity, and the Faces, whom I?m a big fan of had already committed to reuniting for a performance. So at the very least, I?d get to see the Faces.
Maybe Izzy, and if hell froze over, a classic era performance. Too good a chance to pass up.

Turns out Stewart had to cancel as he was in the hospital, and obviously Axl and Izzy opted out.
Needless to say I was ecstatic some one outbid me at the last second, so I didn?t end up $1,000 lighter, for a vacation in Ohio (no offense to anyone Ohioans).
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #455 on: May 20, 2015, 11:43:26 AM »

Playing limited dates though.  A GNR reunion tour would be the most viable tour of the USA GNR will have done since 1993..

1993 was arenas I believe. It was in secondary markets in the US. Going by memory here so I might be wrong.
1993 wasn't the huge stadium tour some might remember it as. Sure, outside the USA.

Anyway, if the hypothetical reunion plays the same venues the last proper US your did in 2011, it would say a lot about that market.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #456 on: May 20, 2015, 11:51:07 AM »

Anyway, if the hypothetical reunion plays the same venues the last proper US your did in 2011, it would say a lot about that market.

Well, I doubt they'd have to put black curtains over unsold sections for a reunion tour.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #457 on: May 20, 2015, 12:34:52 PM »

Well, I doubt they'd have to put black curtains over unsold sections for a reunion tour.

I could see if there was a reuinion that they just play arenas.   The arenas will be sold out.  In some cities they could sell out a couple of nights of areans, which would then equal ticket sales of stadium.   Example play a sold out show fri and sat night in New York at MSG....
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #458 on: May 20, 2015, 12:47:13 PM »

I could see if there was a reuinion that they just play arenas.   The arenas will be sold out.  In some cities they could sell out a couple of nights of areans, which would then equal ticket sales of stadium.   Example play a sold out show fri and sat night in New York at MSG....

Totally agree.

At least one arena in any major city, and multiple nights in the bigger ones.

Moving tickets for a reunion tour would not be a problem.  There would be no "up close and personal" out of neccesity type of approach.

That said, this is all a pipe dream.  Axl is more likely than not going to come out and crush all this with one sentence.  So I hope people aren't getting too carried away here.

mortismurphy
« Reply #459 on: May 20, 2015, 12:47:40 PM »

If they were to release new music, that?s another story, but as of today GN?R is solely a touring act, who just lost one of it?s most talented players, and classic Guns were one of, if not the greatest live acts in the history of rock n? roll.

I think they could theoretically reunite for a tour, then go back to what they are doing today.
It would be the same situation. Plenty of fans would prefer to see Axl with Slash, but if the only option is to see Axl with Ashba, they will take what they can get. The Ashba fans will still be there. It?s not like fans are suddenly going to protest. Some fans like myself may decide they?ve had their fill, but that would happen regardless. People will always pay to see Axl perform at any capacity, and especially when the ticket stub reads Guns N? Roses.

This is basically my own position on reunion. The prospect of new material was the main reason why I resisted a reunion in the past because let's face it, a reunion would be overwhelmingly about the past and nostalgia and cash. But considering Axl has basically now turned into a legacy act, he may as well reunite with the originals and deliver authentic bona fide nostalgia to the masses rather than faux 'Bootleg Beatle' nostalgia with Ashba and company.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: