Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 11:16:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227937 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Who else is extremely sad about Tommy's departure?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who else is extremely sad about Tommy's departure?  (Read 22925 times)
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 07:38:00 AM »

im not super hyped to see a middle aged version of the ritz 1988 show when the original is on youtube.
this.

Tongue-like-a-razor
Headliner

A sweet switch-blade knife...

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 07:40:00 AM »

Having waited almost 20 years for the return of Slash and 19 for Duff's, I am very happy with the recent development. I don't think a lot of the members of this forum became fans of GNR because of Tommy's bass playing or DJ's solos...
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 07:42:44 AM »

im not super hyped to see a middle aged version of the ritz 1988 show when the original is on youtube.
this.

Does someone actually think this is what they are going to see?

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 07:50:58 AM »

I'm fairly sad in terms if thinking this move sees us further from new material and Chinese Democracy material. The highlights of the live shows over the last few years were for me, always, the Chinese Democracy songs.  Hopefully I'm proved wrong though and we'll hear CD material live and new stuff.

I see it very much as the 'next stage' in GNR, rather than a 'retro-reunion'. I'm not sure that will be the common opinion of people though, and I'm sure that I'll get sarcastic comments from people regarding the 'proper' band being back and how the new players were 'always shit'. These type of opinions don't really matter though as they always come from people who only know the greatest hits, and have never bothered to listen to the newer incarnations of the band.

Let's see what happens! As we all know, nothing goes as we expect it to with this band!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2016, 07:55:13 AM »

I loved Chinese Democracy. Still do. And I would very much like to hear the CD2 and whatever other material with Bucket, Robin and Tommy.

Still, I'm younger than Axl and I already lived through situations where I had to put my differences aside and work it out with someone I had problems with. Other times, I wanted to get rid of the bitterness and actually made peace with the other person. So yeah, I can see Axl and Slash getting along togheter. Maybe even better than the old days.

GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2016, 07:57:44 AM »

I think when someone joins a band like GNR as a "replacement", they know the score.  I know Tommy has been a member for a long time, and it seems he's enjoyed himself and gotten along well with Axl. I've been a fan of his and was introduced to his music through his time in Guns.

But I'm sure in the back of his head (this goes for any "NuGNR" members) that he knew if the ice ever thawed and things got better with Duff and Axl that he'd have to step aside at some point. And I think if someone takes that job, they have to be OK with that to a certain extent, no matter how unlikely it might have seemed at the time.

I'm sad to see him leave but I'm glad it's happening, if that makes any sense.

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
Ringoturtle
Headliner

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 08:07:43 AM »

@estaban:

I'm not sad even though Tommy was one of the cooler new guys. Duff!

Don't understand your "Slash and all the harm he did..." thing you got going though? Please stop discrediting current bandmembers. It's so easy...

And now, please stop your whining. You're floating the board with all your negativity. rofl Sorry, couldn't resist. But I think I know you from the past.

All my statements represent MY OPINION. If not, I'll say so by posting references or the like
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »

Having waited almost 20 years for the return of Slash and 19 for Duff's, I am very happy with the recent development. I don't think a lot of the members of this forum became fans of GNR because of Tommy's bass playing or DJ's solos...
I feel the time of inactivity makes their departure times relatively the same...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2016, 08:30:06 AM »

Okay ... I'll say it....

time to ship all of this nonsense to the EX GUNNERS SECTION

I actually do have respect for Tommy... but he chose a bad time to be wishy washy about his commitment to GNR when Duff had renewed his relationship with Axl.

Ron and DJ.... see ya guys... nice knowing you... neither made a significant impact to a GNR release... they are just a foot note now.

Both chose to leave.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:34:11 AM by JAEBALL » Logged

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2016, 08:43:45 AM »

No, I am not sad. 

I never forged any sort of personal connection to any of the replacement guys.  How could I?  Ain't like Axl ever let them talk.  Isn't like there is the wealth of material we can point to, as we only got 15 songs in 15 years.

But, to be brutally honest, I was never all that passionate about any post-2000 line-up.  I didn't so much like the replacment line-ups as tolerated them.  What choice had I?  It was that or nothing, literally nothing.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
GunnerOne 84
VIP

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 08:46:19 AM »

No, I am not sad. 

I never forged any sort of personal connection to any of the replacement guys.  How could I?  Ain't like Axl ever let them talk.  Isn't like there is the wealth of material we can point to, as we only got 15 songs in 15 years.

But, to be brutally honest, I was never all that passionate about any post-2000 line-up.  I didn't so much like the replacment line-ups as tolerated them.  What choice had I?  It was that or nothing, literally nothing.

I will say as someone who enjoyed the new lineup I was all in in 2002 and as each change occurred it became a little more difficult.

The Bucket-Robin-Fortus-Brain-Stinson group was phenomenal imo.

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 08:50:40 AM »

No, I am not sad. 

I will say as someone who enjoyed the new lineup I was all in in 2002 and as each change occurred it became a little more difficult.

Yeah a lot of us wish we could have seen mroe from that lineup... it wasn't meant to be.

Like i said... this is not the time.. these guys are all gone now...

REAL fans support GNR no matter what the lineup is..............

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GunnerOne 84
VIP

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 09:02:41 AM »

No, I am not sad. 

Yeah a lot of us wish we could have seen mroe from that lineup... it wasn't meant to be.

Like i said... this is not the time.. these guys are all gone now...

REAL fans support GNR no matter what the lineup is..............

I agree. I've never missed an opportunity to see them not matter what. The last time I saw them was the No Trickery tour and it was a fantastic show.

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 09:09:10 AM »

What is the official lineup?Huh??

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2016, 09:10:59 AM »

What is the official lineup?Huh??

Don't believe we have one yet...

I'd say the long standing thought that it will be Axl, Slash, Duff, Richard, Frank and the keyboard players is looking pretty good.

Sprinkle in some guest spots.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2016, 09:13:45 AM »

I sort of feel similar to DX.

When Oh My God popped up, I tried to love it because it was the first song I'd heard since Sympathy and the first original song since 1991, it was hard, but hey 'a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine for down'

When the news of Vegas and Rio popped up I got genuinely excited, then reports from vegas popped up and I heard things like Robin was dressed like a storm trooper and Buckethead looked like the Gorton's fisherman with a KFC bucket on his head... I cringed, then told myself I was going to like it. The Rio feed was available then I saw it all for myself... it was as bad as advertised (visually) BUT they sounded good...Didn't understand the need for Bucket on such an AFD heavy show (he basically played fills and random solos that Robin could have played), but they sounded good.

Here comes the VMA's... we'll just leave that along, it would just be piling on...

2002 tour... Here is where my favorite part shows up (Richard)... again they sounded good, still very iffy on what bucket is actually doing for GnR other than making them look ridiculous, now here comes Philly.

They now sit on the shelf for 4 years (Bye Bye Bucket)... VR emerges and shows us that Slash and Duff still have it... What would Fall to Pieces sound like with Axl???

2006 things start to come together, Robin has a better (see what I did there) look, and bucket is gone, of course they replaced 'Buckethead' with 'Bumblefoot' but luckily he lets people see his face and uses his real first name. They shows are great, we finally start to hear new material, but they Brain goes away, and Robin follows him a few years later. DJ replaces him and is a passable player, but looks like a cartoon character version of someone dressing like Slash as a Zombie... touring continues but cracks start to show. Tommy (the General) chooses to play solo gigs and Replacements shows over GnR shows, and my first glimmer of hope in forever DUFF!!!! and we have the beginning of the end for this long, mildly successful, but weird chapter in GnR history..

I couldn't be more happy for Axl, Duff, and Slash, that I use so much energy being happy so I can't spare any energy feeling bad for well paid hired musicians. This is the core of the band back together. Most of you would't know who any of the CD Era musicians were if these 3 (plus Izzy and Steven) didn't build a band and brand that Axl felt the need to continue on with... The classic (don't want to say original) members found ways over the last 20+ years to mend fences, find common ground, and agree that they were never better than when they were together. They are all older, wiser, and much much healthier... They got the band back together. Thank you bucket, robin, paul, dj, brain, and Tommy... you held it together, but you were just a place holder until they all found their way.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:15:38 AM by C0ma » Logged
bjd2944
Headliner

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2016, 09:20:36 AM »

It is what it is. It's not off to the greatest start, with Axl cancelling out on his first chance to show face in a while. I just hope the reunion comes off as sincere. It's a cash grab - we all know it's a cash grab, but the less they can make it look like a cash grab, the better. I hope after all these years, Axl and Slash can rekindle whatever friendship they once had and get back to doing what made people fall in love with them in the first place.

I admire Tommy and the rest of the "new" Guns N' Roses for all they did for this band, and all the shit they likely put up with dealing with Axl for as many years as they did. As a young(ish) Guns fan at 33 I haven't had an opportunity to see the "original" band perform, so the Axl/Tommy/Bucket/Bumble/Finck/et al incarnation was all I've known. It's almost an end of a era.

I'll always have a spot in my heart for the "New" Guns N' Roses, but let's face it - this is a once in a lifetime thing, and the window was closing fast. They might as well give it a shot. Embrace it for what it is - we've all been through a lot with this band, and this is the start of a new, and possibly the final chapter. I wish Tommy well with the Replacements, or whatever his future may hold; I've met Bumblefoot several times - one of the most genuine goodhearted human beings I've ever met, no ill feelings towards him, DJ, or any of the members who are no longer affiliated.

Let's take this thing one day at a time and see what it brings us. Cherish the old memories, and make room for some new - hopefully great ones. #GnFnR
GunnerOne 84
VIP

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2016, 09:26:16 AM »

It is what it is. It's not off to the greatest start, with Axl cancelling out on his first chance to show face in a while. I just hope the reunion comes off as sincere. It's a cash grab - we all know it's a cash grab, but the less they can make it look like a cash grab, the better. I hope after all these years, Axl and Slash can rekindle whatever friendship they once had and get back to doing what made people fall in love with them in the first place.

I admire Tommy and the rest of the "new" Guns N' Roses for all they did for this band, and all the shit they likely put up with dealing with Axl for as many years as they did. As a young(ish) Guns fan at 33 I haven't had an opportunity to see the "original" band perform, so the Axl/Tommy/Bucket/Bumble/Finck/et al incarnation was all I've known. It's almost an end of a era.

I'll always have a spot in my heart for the "New" Guns N' Roses, but let's face it - this is a once in a lifetime thing, and the window was closing fast. They might as well give it a shot. Embrace it for what it is - we've all been through a lot with this band, and this is the start of a new, and possibly the final chapter. I wish Tommy well with the Replacements, or whatever his future may hold; I've met Bumblefoot several times - one of the most genuine goodhearted human beings I've ever met, no ill feelings towards him, DJ, or any of the members who are no longer affiliated.

Let's take this thing one day at a time and see what it brings us. Cherish the old memories, and make room for some new - hopefully great ones. #GnFnR

They will certainty make a lot of money, and deservedly so. I like money too so I don't begrudge them that.

I do think it's unfair to call it only a money grab. The money for a reunion has always been on the table for this. None of them "need" the money and Axl has been clear that this would never happen only for money. I think that they can cash in and still have it be about more than money.

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2016, 09:35:20 AM »

Tons of respect for Tommy.  Him being a Replacements guy, part of the whole indie rock scene and all, he could have easily taken a very ironic, detached approach to his time with Guns but instead he gave all he had to live up to the band's legacy.  Every show I went to, I could not help but notice that the guy poured his heart and soul into the performance.  He has his own stuff going on though, including his own iconic band that he probably feels has not had its last chapter yet.  All the best to him.

Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2016, 09:37:19 AM »

Maby it's just a temporary "reunion" and he will return in 2017 or 2018? I hope so.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: