Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 07:17:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Who else is extremely sad about Tommy's departure?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who else is extremely sad about Tommy's departure?  (Read 23226 times)
GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2016, 09:40:11 AM »

Maby it's just a temporary "reunion" and he will return in 2017 or 2018? I hope so.

I'm not sure they can go back to a lineup without Slash and Duff after bringing them back. It would be a pretty tough sell.

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2016, 09:42:45 AM »

Maby it's just a temporary "reunion" and he will return in 2017 or 2018? I hope so.

I'm not sure they can go back to a lineup without Slash and Duff after bringing them back. It would be a pretty tough sell.

Try impossible.  This is a total one way move.

You can't give them the GNR they know and love (or close to it) and then try and take it away again and expect people to get jazzed about yet another line-up of replacement guys.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2016, 09:56:06 AM »

There was the same thing with Kiss.... their reunion was not forever too.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2016, 10:01:56 AM »

Not at all. Great guy and bass player but he did his job, made a shit ton of money and I'm sure is very happy for Duff and the fans.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2016, 10:02:42 AM »

Not at all. Great guy and bass player but he did his job, made a shit ton of money and I'm sure is very happy for Duff and the fans.

He even publicly stated he hoped Axl did this.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2016, 10:02:52 AM »

Wait, can I finally say it?!?

STOP LIVING IN THE PAST.  GET OVER IT.  Tommy chose the Replacement$ over GNR.  
jamillos22
Rocker

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2016, 10:37:11 AM »

You could have used this phrase on GN?R forums for the past 15+ years! Cheesy Cheesy

Hell has frozen over.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2016, 10:42:10 AM »

I think Tommy is great, but I'm certainly not upset about Duff Mckagan playing bass for Guns N' Roses again.  Over the last 20 years I have seen GNR a whole bunch of times.  I have also seen Velvet Revolver, Slashs Snakepit, Slash as a solo artist, and Loaded a bunch of times as well.  I always made a point to try and  enjoy the music and not get wrapped up in whatever bullshit was going on between the guys behind the scenes.  Because quite frankly it was none of my business.  My only responsibility as a fan is to listen to the art that the artist puts out.  I was never a "new band extremist" or a "reunionist"  I am just a GNR fan.   If Slash did something that was great (Contraband and his first solo album) I said that.  If he did something I thought sucked (the albums with Myles, Black Eyed Peas halftime show) I would also be honest about that.  I never complained about what GNR was doing because  I love "Chinese Democracy" and was blown away by every show I ever attended.

So yeah I am as big a fan of the post 2000 lineup as much as the next person, but I am not upset about having two big reasons why I became a GNR fan in the first place back in the band.  That said, all of the music the band has worked on since the mid 90's, I really do hope we still get to hear it at some point.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 10:50:40 AM by Bodhi » Logged
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2016, 10:44:12 AM »

i love tommy, specially his solo work. can't say i'm sad to see him go, because it was a good pay job for him for the last two decades, but Duff is the man that wrote the songs i love and the idol i look up to.

So all i have to say is... shouldn't this conversation be in the ex members section, as much as i love tommy and i do, he's not part of guns n roses today.

Chinese Democracy!
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2016, 10:47:07 AM »

Hahahaha

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
raindog
Rocker

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2016, 10:51:36 AM »

Weird to think about, isn't it. If Duff was the mediator between Axl and Slash, the whole reunion of GNR effectively only happened because of what turned out to be an abortive reunion of The Replacements.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2016, 10:55:14 AM »

Weird to think about, isn't it. If Duff was the mediator between Axl and Slash, the whole reunion of GNR effectively only happened because of what turned out to be an abortive reunion of The Replacements.

...or possibly it was a result of a chance meeting in a hotel in London?

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
raindog
Rocker

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2016, 10:57:38 AM »

True, maybe so. But it seems more like something that would have been discussed at length and gradually when Duff joined the tour to me. Speculation of course.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2016, 11:06:29 AM »

For the people saying that Tommy left GNR for the Mats, that's crazy !

So he went for a while to play with the Replacements, and Duff replaced him, Im pretty sure that just happened because of conflicting schedules and Tommy wanting to do BOTH things.

His last comments on GNR where not the comments of a person who is OK by the way things ended. ''we all just kind of left in Vegas'"

Another thing that really makes me think GNR was more than MONEY to Tommy is how Tommy handled Bumblefoot, according to Ron, he had issues with some bandmembers, especially Tommy because Ron "wasn't made" , like it was GNR was a Gang that you have to prove your worth to in order to get in.

No doubt Tommy isnt happy about it.

DJ left with his head up high. After consistently talking about wanting to write for GNR, having support for Axl and the future of the band,  there was a definite pointbreak where he was forced to decide, an all his kind words for GNR where left up in the air.  Maybe the reunion was upon him and he left because he saw it coming and felt as the odd man out, or in an uncomfortable position, maybe Axl told him in advance what was happening ?.who knows?

This people are not businessmen, they are artists. They don't consider themselves as employees (even when all things seem to indicate it). Im pretty sure most of them felt they were in a band, beyond what is put in paper.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2016, 11:59:01 AM »

im not super hyped to see a middle aged version of the ritz 1988 show when the original is on youtube.
this.

So you only want the middle aged singer then ?

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
Classic Case
Rocker

I know that I'm a classic case

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2016, 01:35:14 PM »

I'm not extremely sad, I liked tommy but I love duff , so no, I'm not extremely sad, I'm extremely happy to have Duff back.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2016, 01:55:54 PM »

what departure Huh (hai2u pilferk)

/flameshield on

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2016, 01:59:07 PM »

I lump Tommy in with all of them in one regard.

Tommy, Robin, DJ, Ron, Brain : people I paid not one second of attention to before they joined the band, and resumed that total lack of interest the minute they left.

The only exception was Buckethead.  I was so impressed with his playing, I did check out some of his other stuff.  Can't say I listen to it all that often, but he at least held my attention, however briefly, even outside the GNR umbrella.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2016, 02:02:27 PM »

I lump Tommy in with all of them in one regard.

Tommy, Robin, DJ, Ron, Brain : people I paid not one second of attention to before they joined the band, and resumed that total lack of interest the minute they left.

The only exception was Buckethead.  I was so impressed with his playing, I did check out some of his other stuff.  Can't say I listen to it all that often, but he at least held my attention, however briefly, even outside the GNR umbrella.

Tommy and Buckethead were the two exceptions for me (well, and Robin, to some extent, due to NIN..but even then, that's more Trent's thing).

I knew Tommy because I know the 'Mats, and knew of them long before his stint in GnR.

Buckethead because, again, I knew his virtuoso stuff before his involvement with GnR.  Still listen to his stuff because he's insanely talented.

On a different note: Tommy is the ONE guy I'm VERY sad to see depart the most recent incarnation.  I like DJ well enough, and like the SIXX AM stuff, too....but his departure I can live with.

Tommy?  Man, that one hurt.  That, to me, was the sign that something was brewing because, to me, he seemed like a lifer.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 02:05:44 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2016, 02:04:17 PM »

Buckethead because, again, I knew his virtuoso stuff before his involvement with GnR.  Still listen to his stuff because he's insanely talented.

He really is.  Dude is incredible.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: