Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:07:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses at Austin City Limits Music Festival in October 2019
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses at Austin City Limits Music Festival in October 2019  (Read 14198 times)
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2019, 10:39:35 AM »

To elaborate further on the article, It's typical hipster douchebag stuff.  Title may has well been ' I hate GnR .'

It is one thing to be critical of the band, but to slam them with almost every sentence in a lengthy article? (The writer does appreciate how good they are live , sort of.)  Not well written and has a decent amount of inaccuracies.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 10:48:49 AM by Senator Blutarsky » Logged

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2019, 11:47:44 AM »

Oh it absolutely is written to get a reaction....but aren't we giving it what it wants if we do anything other than shrug our shoulders at it?

I feel a bit like people get so angry if people think differently to them now, that they can't even tolerate those thoughts existing. It's an opinion thing- I'm fine if this guy doesn't like GNR. I may qell not like a lot of the stuff he does!

I mean, goodness knows why I'm sort-of defending this article! Playing devil's advocate a bit I think, as people's reactions to it seem worryingly extreme.

I saw it and didn't post it because I figured that's what this guy wanted. Attention.

To elaborate further on the article, It's typical hipster douchebag stuff.  Title may has well been ' I hate GnR .'

It is one thing to be critical of the band, but to slam them with almost every sentence in a lengthy article? (The writer does appreciate how good they are live , sort of.)  Not well written and has a decent amount of inaccuracies.

Duff McKagan and Slash are tentatively back in the band

Since April 1st, 2016. Obviously this guy hadn't noticed! 2.5 years of touring and he had no clue..... Until they were booked to play at ACL!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
wakeup
Headliner

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2019, 02:08:18 PM »

That’s just an opinion piece.  Just go with the saying opinions are like assholes everyone has one.  I just love that November Rain might sound like it has a full orchestra but most that was done with synth. No that’s was impressive for the time it was done.

He will be at the show even if he says he won’t.  Maybe his opinion will change with his press pass getting him front row probably.  Maybe Jarmo, if here, can get a good picture of him singing along just Incase he tries to say it was not a good show.

“I see you standing there. You think you’re so cool but why don’t you just...” Grin

NaturalLight
Rocker

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2019, 04:48:18 PM »

What go me was the d-bag claimed to be a Replacements fan, noting that Axl "stole" Tommy from the band. Yeah, the Replacements broke up fucking years earlier. Idiot.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2019, 05:47:22 AM »

What go me was the d-bag claimed to be a Replacements fan, noting that Axl "stole" Tommy from the band. Yeah, the Replacements broke up fucking years earlier. Idiot.

I guess his logic is that if Tommy had been available, the Replacements would've reunited years earlier than they did.  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sakuL
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2019, 11:41:49 AM »

Am I the only who actually had a laugh reading the text even though I love the band?
C'mon, it's obviously not a serious journalism. Take it easy.
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2019, 01:40:52 PM »

This type of concert reminds me of what was it in NY the Governors Ball or something a few years back forgive me if I am butchering what the concert was called but definitely not your hard rock type of festival. Would be very interested in seeing the type of reaction they get. Even if no new material is played its always good to see the type of chemistry they have going for them on display.
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2019, 02:00:11 PM »

Am I the only who actually had a laugh reading the text even though I love the band?
C'mon, it's obviously not a serious journalism. Take it easy.

No, I did not laugh but this almost made me cry. This, of course, has nothing to do with real journalism but why are these pieces published. It's not even a click-biting title.

This same could have been said in a few sentences but this is the world we live in. Just publish rubbish and people will read it and post it on social media. I don't know the magazine (vaguely familiar name) and the writer's boss will be very happy because, as mentioned, the reaction.

My feedback to them is that write a real click-baiting title or real journalism. Don't write this in-between stupidness. In this case nothing was done well or correctly Cry
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2019, 11:16:07 PM »

don't you think we're saying it's terrible just because we don't agree with it?

No, because we can read and it's a shitty article with errors in it written just to get a reaction....  Cheesy

GNR burst onto the scene in 1987, and were ridiculous from the jump.

Then he goes on to point out how ridiculous the opening of the Jungle video is.
Now, I can respect that opinion, while disagreeing. But if that's an issue.... Jeez!

So to answer the question in the article's headline. Because there's no one else like them. No matter how much you hate the band, how much you claim to be a hipster who only likes bands that no one else listens to, the fact remains that GN'R has released some of the most iconic songs of all time, and people wanna see the band!

/jarmo

Oh it absolutely is written to get a reaction....but aren't we giving it what it wants if we do anything other than shrug our shoulders at it?

I feel a bit like people get so angry if people think differently to them now, that they can't even tolerate those thoughts existing. It's an opinion thing- I'm fine if this guy doesn't like GNR. I may qell not like a lot of the stuff he does!

I mean, goodness knows why I'm sort-of defending this article! Playing devil's advocate a bit I think, as people's reactions to it seem worryingly extreme.

You're absolutely right. It's like somebody saying they hate the taste of shrimp and losing your mind because "BUT I LOVE SHRIMP!!!"

Also, I think it's pretty clear that a lot of the article is tongue in cheek hyperbole. It doesn't exactly make for an interesting article to give a balanced and nuanced opinion on a band. It would also be pretty short if he just said "Eh, they're not my cup of tea."

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2019, 07:38:31 AM »

This type of concert reminds me of what was it in NY the Governors Ball or something a few years back forgive me if I am butchering what the concert was called but definitely not your hard rock type of festival. Would be very interested in seeing the type of reaction they get. Even if no new material is played its always good to see the type of chemistry they have going for them on display.

Also someone who isn't a fan or isn't familiar with present day GNR will likely have a preconceived notion of them shattered when they actually see and hear them play. I think this type of crowd would appreciate the extended jams of the classic songs.  (Rocket Queen for example)

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
echeguns
Headliner

Never too old to rock n roll!

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2019, 04:23:43 PM »

Best girlfriend ever!  Got me 2 VIP tickets to the 2nd weekend!!! Cheers!!!!

Atlanta 1988
Atlanta 1989
San Francisco 2010
Greenville 2011
Las Vegas 2014
Atlanta 2016
Miami 2017
New York 2017
Austin 2019
Lexington KY 2023
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2019, 05:11:25 PM »

Best girlfriend ever!  Got me 2 VIP tickets to the 2nd weekend!!! Cheers!!!!

Awesome! Congrats! Cheesy

/jarmo

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2019, 02:38:28 PM »

Austin City Limits Music Festival (ACL): The wait is over, check out the ACL Festival Lineup by Day and grab your 1-Day Tickets at 12pm CT. 3-Day Tickets are available NOW. https://on.aclfestival.com/trk/j23j

/jarmo
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 02:46:19 PM by jarmo » Logged

PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2019, 08:52:10 PM »

I wonder when Tame Impala is coming out with another album. Killer stuff.

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2019, 09:48:14 PM »

Really? Bores the living shit out of me. Reminds me of lift music!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2019, 10:00:52 PM »

They're the Beatles mixed with Pink Floyd. Sounds like you're the boring one here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwPyZBYtEzg

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2019, 07:55:21 AM »

They're the Beatles mixed with Pink Floyd. Sounds like you're the boring one here...

....and there lies the problem for me! They sound EXACTLY like the Beatles mixed with Pink Floyd, which to me is just something from the past now. if I wanted to listen to the Beatles or Pink Floyd, I'd do just that- I'd rather hear new acts doing something a bit more original. I'm not sure how it qualifies as 'boring' to want that from new music?

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2019, 01:58:15 AM »

....and there lies the problem for me! They sound EXACTLY like the Beatles mixed with Pink Floyd, which to me is just something from the past now. if I wanted to listen to the Beatles or Pink Floyd, I'd do just that- I'd rather hear new acts doing something a bit more original. I'm not sure how it qualifies as 'boring' to want that from new music?

Is there something wrong with sounding like they're from the golden era of music? It's not like they're Greta Van Fleet literally aping old artists and having no inspiration. Their songwriting is on the level of those legendary old bands and they absolutely have their own sound. Nothing by them actually sounds like a Beatles or PF song whatsoever.

Guns N Roses was often accused of sounding just like Aerosmith mixed with AC/DC, and their sound was "something from the past" when they came out. What matters is the songwriting, and Tame Impala are brilliant at that just like GNR. Not to mention their sublime use of effects. I can only assume you have never actually listened to them on quality speakers or headphones.

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2019, 08:58:37 AM »

Pretty cool song...does have a Syd Barrett era Floyd feel to it.

Either way Friday is ridiculous...Thom Yorke then Jack White then Tame Impala then Guns.  Shocked

Now if we could somehow get Yorke to play some Radiohead songs and White to play some White Stripes, it would really be on.  hihi

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2019, 09:56:26 AM »

I love Tame Impala. Im going to see them this August.

Id love to go to Austin too. GNR, apparently great city and festival, F1 race around the same time. ok

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »